• Total Posts : 4168
2011/07/19 22:34:34 (permalink)

5ive-0 General Levy rant

Just upped this since it isn't on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYOkYPfPvc

DNBA could learn from this kind of beef
battykilla69
  • Total Posts : 2654
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 22:46:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dwarde78

Just upped this since it isn't on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYOkYPfPvc

DNBA could learn from this kind of beef

Before I even start listening to this, I bet this is from Roast summer 94
Stamina MC
  • Total Posts : 17296
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 22:49:15 (permalink)
Yeah, how not to do it. What a massive vibe-killer all that was.
dwarde78
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 22:51:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stamina MC

Yeah, how not to do it. What a massive vibe-killer all that was.

Haha, can imagine... what was it all about?

Heard something along the lines of Levy bigging himself up in some magazine interview but surely it wasn't just that
ChampagneAnarchist
  • Total Posts : 746
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 22:53:21 (permalink)

what was it all about?

Levy stole his jacket.
X NATION
  • Total Posts : 59507
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 22:56:32 (permalink)
Looking back on it now there seems to have been an element of jealousy and also it makes me think, how Levy got dissed for supposedly 'sneaking in the backdoor' and taking shortcuts to gaining attention, but that happens every single week now with dnb, artists come from nowhere, are marketed as next big thing and if anyone disagrees or questions they get called a hater.
Marley608
  • Total Posts : 7704
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:01:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChampagneAnarchist

what was it all about?

Levy stole his jacket.

What set was this? And his Mic bag or something!?
dwarde78
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:04:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Marley608

what was it all about?

Levy stole his jacket.

From this apparently

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPXU54FX

Look forward to hearing it
ChampagneAnarchist
  • Total Posts : 746
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:09:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Marley608

what was it all about?

Levy stole his jacket.

From this apparently

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EPXU54FX

Look forward to hearing it

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the set.

Outstanding rant after someone stole his jacket during the rave.

Someone needs to bump the Quote 5ive-O thread. Its one of the forum classics.
nezzy
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:26:50 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: STIMPY

Looking back on it now there seems to have been an element of jealousy and also it makes me think, how Levy got dissed for supposedly 'sneaking in the backdoor' and taking shortcuts to gaining attention, but that happens every single week now with dnb, artists come from nowhere, are marketed as next big thing and if anyone disagrees or questions they get called a hater.

Jealousy was part of the problem but the main issue was that Levy - who was known as a Ragga MC at the time - had only provided vocals on one DnB track then all of a sudden he claimed to be in charge of the whole Jungle scene!

All the DJs and MCs who had put in work in the years before to create the scene were well within their rights to be pissed off imo.....
post edited by nezzy - 2011/07/19 23:30:25
realysm42
  • Total Posts : 7066
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:49:07 (permalink)
I can't pretend to know the whole story, but it sound like a lot of hate was directed his way for his quick rise to popularity.
When he said we're runnin' tings, sounds like he was mis-quoted as he never specified who 'we' were.
Might be well off the mark

renagade
  • Total Posts : 5167
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/19 23:50:52 (permalink)
SEEN
Eazyflow
  • Total Posts : 3395
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 09:33:47 (permalink)
Yeah, all seems like such a mountain out of a molehill now.

I really felt sorry for M Beat during that palaver. Up until then he was one of the greatest jungle producers with a string of monster tunes, but the fact that he was so closely tied to Levy meant that his name ended up being dragged through the mud too, which pretty much ended his time in the scene.

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

"If you don't know the roots from the trunk of the tree, you won't know the branches or what the fruit will b
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44391
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 09:49:05 (permalink)
Do you think 5ive-O has ever bothered looking up what "Perpetrator" actually means?

SEEN.

FixBeat
  • Total Posts : 13913
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 09:53:54 (permalink)
would have been amazing if the first tune after the rant was 'incredible'
flavor
  • Total Posts : 2901
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 10:13:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Eazyflow

I really felt sorry for M Beat during that palaver. Up until then he was one of the greatest jungle producers with a string of monster tunes, but the fact that he was so closely tied to Levy meant that his name ended up being dragged through the mud too, which pretty much ended his time in the scene.

Yeah I always wondered what the whole issue with M Beat was - to my mind he was a prolific talented producer, a true pioneer for Jungle. Knowledge is one of the best Jungle LP's from the 90's and deserved to be up there with the 4 Hero's/Guy Called Gerald/Nookies of the time.

He did the collab with Jay Kay in 96 but then seemed to dissapear after that..maybe wasn't feeling the direction of D&B at the time (as was the case with a lot of the Jungle producers from early 90's)

Eazyflow
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 10:25:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: flavor

ORIGINAL: Eazyflow

Yeah I always wondered what the whole issue with M Beat was - to my mind he was a prolific talented producer, a true pioneer for Jungle. Knowledge is one of the best Jungle LP's from the 90's and deserved to be up there with the 4 Hero's/Guy Called Gerald/Nookies of the time.

Totally agree. If you compare his output before 'Incredible' to his output after, I think it's obvious that that whole episode of DJ's boycotting his records tarnished his reputation beyond repair. Such a shame, to me though he is still one of the true 'kings of the jungle'.

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

"If you don't know the roots from the trunk of the tree, you won't know the branches or what the fruit will b
Warrior
  • Total Posts : 5241
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 11:36:17 (permalink)
Did people actually boycott them though, think that's a bit of myth.

I have a set from from an old AWOL where Gachet brings in Incredible, GQ says "Come on people show the world how much you hate this", the crowd goes nuts and it gets the triple rewind treatment
post edited by Warrior - 2011/07/20 11:45:34
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44391
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 11:47:41 (permalink)
wasn't there a story about someone (possibly Rap) getting death threats if they played Incredible at a rave, so they played it first tune and rewound it about 5 times?

might be from All Crews...

Eazyflow
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 11:49:18 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Warrior

Did people actually boycott them though, think that's a bit of myth

Who knows?

I can't remember many DJ's playing any of Mbeat's records after that incident, wheras before you would hear sets littered with tunes like 'Style' and 'Rumble'.

Maybe the stories have been somewhat embelished. I even remember rumours that there was a so-called junglist 'committee' made up of top DJ's and producers who boycotted Mbeat's tunes and threatened and intimated anyone who chose to defy the boycott, legend has it that Dj Rap was one of the few to stand up against this committee and continue to play Mbeat's tunes

EDIT: Syhr beat me to it...
post edited by Eazyflow - 2011/07/20 11:50:29

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

battykilla69
  • Total Posts : 2654
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 12:00:09 (permalink)
'Incredible' was a shit tune though. Disliked it from the first time I heard it. Was just 'watered down' Jungle made for the top 40 charts imo
Eazyflow
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 12:47:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: battykilla69

'Incredible' was a shit tune though. Disliked it from the first time I heard it. Was just 'watered down' Jungle made for the top 40 charts imo

See, I disagree.

Granted it grew to be the butt of junglist jokes, but before it elevated to top 40 status there's no denying that crowds where going crazy for it. 'Incredible' was the first tune I ever heard get rewound by a DJ three times, in fact I think that was the first record that I ever heard being rewound by a DJ at all...

The beats are crisp, the bass is nice, and I love the overall energy of the tune. I would maybe avoid dropping it in set, simply because no one really takes it seriously anymore, but to my mind it's certainly no more cheesey than say 'Code Red' for example....
post edited by Eazyflow - 2011/07/20 12:49:49

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

darksouljah
  • Total Posts : 311
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:00:56 (permalink)
I used to get so fcuked off with that knob-heads tirades, he was a proper vibe killer.
soulfocus
  • Total Posts : 2911
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:11:10 (permalink)
'Incredible' and 'Original Nuttah' got a lot of people into jungle, same as tunes like Rip Groove and Rappers Delight got people into Garage and Hip Hop - alot of whom ended up digging deeper and really getting into the 'proper' side of things.
I always thought any talk of boycotting it was stupid but on the other hand, the jungle scene's approach to commercial music is what made it last a lot longer than, say, UK Garage, where everyone was taking major label $$$ and then got dropped or ignored as soon as the next big thing came along. The D&B crowd learnt to be self sufficient, using their own labels and infrastructure which meant they could maintain a 'scene' without any outside influences who didnt 'get it' or might try to water it down to make it more commericially appealing - I could see why the success of Incredible might make them a bit uneasy as alot of the people involved had come from the UK Hip Hop and Reggae crowd which had seen a lot artists in the late 80s get fucked over.
X NATION
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:16:34 (permalink)
It seemed some of the people hating on Levy the most thought that jungle actually belonged to them and they were going to control it for their whole careers.

Definitely a bit of jealousy in there.
X NATION
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:17:56 (permalink)
Incrdible was a big tun at the time and I heard it played on many jungle tapes, Kenny Ken used to play it a lot.

soulfocus
  • Total Posts : 2911
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:22:51 (permalink)
Happens in most genres though. The originators/old boys never like the next generation coming along and stealing their limelight and money. I can kind of see their point but in this case surely Renk/M Beat had been doing long enough to deserve some success.
Incredible was one of the first (or the first maybe?) jungle tunes to have a traditional verse/chorus structure so there was obviously some commercial intent there.
X NATION
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:28:39 (permalink)
yeah but they weren't calling out M Beat they were calling out Levy, they were probably pissd at M Beat for not using one of them. It does appear to be m.c's that were sulking about it most. the kool fm goldie open forum thing kinda makes it seem that way too.
Eazyflow
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 13:50:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: soulfocus

'Incredible' and 'Original Nuttah' got a lot of people into jungle, same as tunes like Rip Groove and Rappers Delight got people into Garage and Hip Hop - alot of whom ended up digging deeper and really getting into the 'proper' side of things.
I always thought any talk of boycotting it was stupid but on the other hand, the jungle scene's approach to commercial music is what made it last a lot longer than, say, UK Garage, where everyone was taking major label $$$ and then got dropped or ignored as soon as the next big thing came along. The D&B crowd learnt to be self sufficient, using their own labels and infrastructure which meant they could maintain a 'scene' without any outside influences who didnt 'get it' or might try to water it down to make it more commericially appealing - I could see why the success of Incredible might make them a bit uneasy as alot of the people involved had come from the UK Hip Hop and Reggae crowd which had seen a lot artists in the late 80s get fucked over.

Some good points there Soulfocus. I agree it's all part of the great rave tradition that kids initially get hooked on the cheesier stuff before delving deeper into the scene. A lot of the people hating on Pendulum failed to see the great recruitment job they where actually doing - If only 10% of the people who listened to Pendulum went on to buy other D&B products then that was good fucking news for the scene...

Another reason underground junglists may have been concerned about artists aiming for commercial success is that only two years earlier they had seen how chart success pretty much destroyed the Rave scene with tunes like 'Sesame's Treet' and 'Trip To Trumpton' so in that sense I can understand some of the caution aimed towards commercially viable jungle I s'pose...

OLD SKOOL FOR SALE:

Gripper Stebson
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: 5ive-0 General Levy rant 2011/07/20 14:01:14 (permalink)
I remember just after this General Levy was meant to be doing a P.A. of 'Incredible' at Voodoo Magic. Five-O was on the flyer as well. Never heard of anything happening so maybe Levy pulled out.

Although 'Incredible' sounds cheesy now that tune used to tear up the rave every time it got played when it first came out. Tunes never really used to get rewound much before 94 and that one stands out as one of the first that used to get multiple rewinds.
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0