Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 90950
2011/03/03 22:11:10 (permalink)

Blade Runner 2

Blade Runner Prequels and Sequels

How do you say "WTF" in City Speak?

Alcon Entertainment (The Blind Side, The Book of Eli) is planning to make prequels and sequels to the sci-fi classic Blade Runner.

According to a company press release, they company's founders Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove are "in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights" to the 1982 film. "Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on Blade Runner along with Kosove and Johnson."

Serve as producer on Blade Runner? Which Blade Runner would that be? It's not clear, though the release goes on to say that the deal would give Alcon "all-inclusive" franchise rights, excluding the option to remake the original Ridley Scott masterpiece. "The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film," we're told.

Deckard can't believe the news either.

Warner Bros. will distribute "the project" domestically. Again, which project is that? It seems they aren't quite clear on it themselves at the moment and perhaps are speaking more in terms of just the "brand name."

As per Johnson and Kosove: "We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only."

I'm shocked at this, it's my favourite film and i just can't see how any sequel, prequel or spin off could ever live up to it or even come close, i never expected this in a million years. Will obviously watch whatever they come up with though! They should have just made a sequel to the Westwood PC game imo. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

post edited by Razor - 2011/03/03 22:22:49
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 20897
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:14:07 (permalink)
This... Akira... Robocop...Raging Bull.. .

Just ruin everything fucks sake.

Maybe it will be good but knowing those Hollywood cretiins, it will just be some CGI nightmare with explosions and Stone Cold Steve Austin starring in it
PD
  • Total Posts : 12062
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:18:01 (permalink)
Will no doubt be awful like most remakes. Even more so if their clame to fame is the book of eli, truly a terrible film.
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:21:08 (permalink)
I doubt it will be a remake, that would be the most pointless thing EVER, the original still looks amazing now so i don't see the point in that at all. More likely a straight sequel with Harrison Ford or a different story. The only way it could be good is with Ridley Scott & Harrison Ford but i doubt either will be involved, why would Ridley Scott let this happen or doesn't he have a say as it wasn't his story in the first place?
DEEVS
  • Total Posts : 29270
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:25:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Domino

Raging Bull.. .

suppose to be a sequel and prequel

before the rage and after the rage is a tagline they are going with atm

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Joelus
  • Total Posts : 2689
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:26:52 (permalink)
if they are doing a prequel and a sequel that would mean they would have to write them completely from scratch. 

which means they could very easily be complete bongo.

MuzzahD
  • Total Posts : 19549
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:27:26 (permalink)
Raging Bull?
Fuck sake.

Nothing is sacred.

Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 20897
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:31:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Razor

I doubt it will be a remake, that would be the most pointless thing EVER, the original still looks amazing now so i don't see the point in that at all. More likely a straight sequel with Harrison Ford or a different story. The only way it could be good is with Ridley Scott & Harrison Ford but i doubt either will be involved, why would Ridley Scott let this happen or doesn't he have a say as it wasn't his story in the first place?

Harrison Ford is about 200 years old.

If they did a remake, maybe it would be a bit more faithful to the book? The film never explored quite a few bits in the book. Just leave it I say..

Anyway, could be worse... at least Michael Bay or someone like that is not involved.
Joelus
  • Total Posts : 2689
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:32:46 (permalink)

If they did a remake, maybe it would be a bit more faithful to the book? The film never explored quite a few bits in the book. Just leave it I say..

good point they could have electric sheep in it

DEEVS
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:33:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Razor

he probably wouldnt have a say probably sold the rights to it

look at alien resurection and the AVP films

GAME OVER MAN!!!
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:33:17 (permalink)
excluding the option to remake the original Ridley Scott masterpiece

There isn't going to be a remake

expect
  • Total Posts : 15937
RE: Blade Runner 2........and 3? 2011/03/03 22:33:13 (permalink)

Akira...

[sm=jawdrop[1].gif] [sm=frown.gif] [sm=pissedoff.gif]
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/03 22:34:51 (permalink)

Need to get someone good on it anyway, Nolan maybe? I just don't know how they can recreate the atmosphere that made it so special, it will be too glossy with too much CGI
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 14394
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/03 22:55:45 (permalink)
Remaking Bladerunner would be crossing a line for Hollywood I think.

Sequels and Prequels can be ignored (unless they're somehow good), but to remake a modern classic such as this would be nothing short of obvious money grabbing greed and hugely disrespectful to cinema goers.
ajantis_art
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 00:54:28 (permalink)
Don't get it twisted, Blade Runner is without doubt my favorite film, but i'm not opposed to a sequel. I remember reading a blade runner sequel when i was well young, all about deckard and the real-life templates for the replicants from the film. Thought it was awesome.

fuck a remake though, you can't better perfection
post edited by ajantis_art - 2011/03/04 00:55:30
Styx DB
  • Total Posts : 9891
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 01:08:12 (permalink)
The first film is genius film making, its amazing that a film that old could still look great.

I agree that a sequel shouldn't have too much CGI, I think it's a bit of a cop out and would probably just degenerate it into some charmless action film as is usually the case these days.
bitchrider
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 01:17:59 (permalink)
It won't ruin the first film, so who gives a fuck, it might even be good (what .deej. said)

"are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only" - what the fuck does that mean? i would definitely play another game, liked that story line more than the movie one
fyan
  • Total Posts : 42038
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 07:48:41 (permalink)
having read the synopsis for some of the follow up books, this doesn't bode well.
Someone like Fincher or Nolan (or Noe, but as much as I like the visual style of his films I don't want to see `Deckard's CGI penis) could do it justice.
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18011
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 07:57:36 (permalink)
Maybe they will make an interesting version.

RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 12:20:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitchrider

It won't ruin the first film, so who gives a fuck, it might even be good (what .deej. said)

"are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only" - what the fuck does that mean? i would definitely play another game, liked that story line more than the movie one

Games, books, 3d, toys etc i presume. They should release a game first imo and not some half arsed cash in like most movie games, something like Mass Effect or the original game.
Illusion
  • Total Posts : 4089
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 13:01:42 (permalink)
Duncan Jones
Alex Proyas
David Fincher

these guys could make it work.
Illusion
  • Total Posts : 4089
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:04:18 (permalink)
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:46:41 (permalink)
Was the obvious choice i guess. Could be the best thing ever if done properly.
DEEVS
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:48:42 (permalink)
Will be a nice little project for him once the new batman and superman films are done

GAME OVER MAN!!!
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:53:58 (permalink)

What can we expect from the new Blade Runner movie? We asked the producers

Yesterday we learned that the rights Blade Runner was getting a sequel or a prequel. We spoke with the producers behind this project, and asked them your burning questions. So, will it be Blade Runner 2 or Blade Runner Origins?

We spoke with the producers of the new Blade Runner film: Andrew Kosove, Broderick Johnson and Bud Yorkin. And here's what they told us.

Will this movie be a prequel or a sequel?
Kosove: We don't know, we just don't know yet. When we know, we'll let you know. We don't know yet it's too early. The only way to answer that is to say that we will have a process where we will hear hear different ideas from writers or from potential directors who we will bring in, in combination with the writers, before determining. We could be open to either a prequel or a sequel.

Why did you want the rights to Blade Runner?
Johnson: It's one of our favorite films, and we thought that the universe that has been created here is one that's full of ideas and possibilities. We're intellectually fascinated and ready to explore the themes that the movie invokes and the underlying material. At the end of the day those are the things that make great movies. Those and characters, it's an opportunity of a life time to try and explore this further.

What sort of stories do you think Blade Runner opened up that it didn't get to address?
Kosove: That's an interesting question. I think for us, one of the things that made this so timely is the fact that we're all living, and we're kind of blessed to live in, what is essentially the industrial revolution age for technology. And it's changing at such a rapid pace. Because of that, and because of the fact that Philip K. Dick is quite brilliant at imagining a world that maybe doesn't exist but is very quickly getting here. There are opportunities to think about either what our world will be like in our almost immediate near future. Or to think about what the world is after Blade Runner, because we have things that have come into our being, things that are a part of our consciousness now that we couldn't have imaged many years ago.
I was in the Dallas airport a couple weeks ago, and there was a robot who was going through the airport cleaning. But it was also having conversations with people that were fluid conversations. It was quite extraordinary, and at that point I knew that we were on the verge of getting involved with this [Blade Runner film], and I thought about how fast the world is advancing and how possible Philip K. Dick's ideas were, and how much material was there to mine for the project, either the prequel or sequel.

It's interesting that you would mention the world before or after Blade Runner. The film was set in 2019, that's not very far away. Have you thought about how you're going to handle the date?
Kosove: That's part of a prequel and a sequel, right? If you do a prequel it's going to be in the very near future. So I think my point to you is that the very near future could seem profoundly different than the world we're living in today. Just like the world we're living in today is profoundly different from the world eight years ago. I don't think a prequel is out of the question, and at the same time we're open to a sequel. Alcon's process for the last number of years has always been about the quality of filmmakers that we've had the privilege of working with, and being open to ideas and creating an open environment. We're open to hearing ideas and then we'll make a determination as to what direction we're going to go.

Well we'd rather have a hypothetical conversation and just get the juices flowing. Can we at least discuss whether or not you'd be excited to film the bloody Replicant mutiny that Blade Runner teased in the intro? That kind of back story, whatever happened that made them illegal.
Kosove: That could be a phenomenal and fascinating way to go. Let me say this to you: the Pentagon is exploring all kinds of ways to engage in combat, without having to use actual human beings. You see it with the use of drones. The logical extension of that is exactly the world that Philip K. Dick imagined, which is coming to a point where something that was not human is being charged to do tasks that we don't want human beings to do. And what if there was a degree of humanity in these "people," and how would they respond? So the idea that you just suggested, would be a fantastic way to lead into the movie. And that's why we need to approach that with an open mind.

There's a wealth of material just mentioned casually when they introduce the Replicants — "Oh, she's a pleasure model, he's a combat droid." It's wide open.
Bud Yorkin: We are going to have Replicants, obviously. That's part of what we started with originally. We're certainly going to have Replicants involved. By the way, Replicants can be any number of ways, and involved in the way humans work and live. Replicants will be different in the end somewhere. And you're right, that's part of the area that we will be involved with.
Kosove: I think that there's a unique aspect of Blade Runner, and it is absolutely right to be re-address now at this time in human history. That is the concept of what it means to be a human being. What does it mean to be human, to have empathy, to have feelings? That fundamental concept, given the Blade Runner lore and what an iconic property it is, for us, an irresistible intellectual exercise to see if we can figure out what would be an immediate pre-chapter or a following chapter to Blade Runner. And that's why we've thrown our hat into the ring and we're blessed to be in business with them and Bud.

Have you reached out to Ridley Scott?
Kosove: The answer to that question is as follows. I'm going to answer it very briefly — we won't say if we've reached out to Ridley Scott or not, but what we will say is that Ridley Scott's blessing to what we're doing is very important to Alcon. It's important to Bud [Yorkin], and certainly we have the greatest degree of respect to him as a filmmaker. He's one of the greatest living directors and one of the greatest directors of all time. So of course he's very important.

When we posted the news, reactions were split right down the middle. Some fans felt this could be good, because we have to we have the technology to make this really fascinating. And then there were a lot of people worried that Hollywood was going to ruin the legacy of Blade Runner. Can you address those fans' concerns?
Kosove: I would really appreciate it if you guys could clarify something: Alcon is not owned by Warner Bros. None of this is being paid by WB. We are a wholly independent financial and production company. Our relationship with Warner, which is very strong, runs back to the earliest years of our company. They're the distributor on all of our movies. First of all, we're paying for everything, but second of all — and this a way of answering maybe partially the concerns of your fans — this may work, or it may not work. We may make this movie, but in truth it may never get made.

But what I can tell you for certain today is that we will not go about this process in some form of large group think where 15 executives are going to sit around a table micromanaging the creative talent. Broderick and I will meet with writers and directors and we will figure out what direction we want to go and what story we believe in.

And then they will have the artistic autonomy to go out and make a great movie. I think whatever success we've had at Alcon, whether it was helping Chris Nolan's career with Insomnia, or working with the Hughes Brothers on Book of Eli or Jonathan Hancock with Blind Side — that philosophy of believing in filmmakers, giving them some parameters and then letting them do their jobs, has served us very very well. And it's how we'll approach this process. I don't know how better to answer the question than that.

Do you have any pie in the sky writers or directors that in a perfect world would sign on tomorrow?
Kosove: Pie in the sky? Yeah our friend Chris Nolan who we did Insomnia [with] would be in the pie in the sky for us.

That's good to hear. That means you're going for the gritty realism that was in the original.
Kosove: To be clear I think what Chris Nolan did — and to be clear, we cannot remake Blade Runner. As a legal matter, we have not bought the remake rights we have no interest in remaking it we can only do prequels or sequels. But I think the methodology that Chris Nolan brought to Batman is precisely what we aspire to whomever the filmmaker is, whether Ridley comes back and joins us or it's someone else. It's precisely what we aspire to with Blade Runner, that's the template for us.
post edited by Razor - 2011/03/04 15:55:02
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:55:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DEEVS

Will be a nice little project for him once the new batman and superman films are done

He's not doing Superman anymore
DEEVS
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 15:57:29 (permalink)
Really? I knew he was producing it, but more than just slapping his name on the front like tarantino did with hostel I reckon he would have had a big creative role with it.

Batman starts filming in may time I think

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Kris
  • Total Posts : 16348
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 16:01:38 (permalink)
Interesting to say the least. It brings to mind Ridley Scott's quote that Sci Fi has gone the same way as the Western once had.

He's probably right but someone like Michael Mann could make it work.

RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 16:02:27 (permalink)
Imdb has him as a producer actually, i thought he was meant to direct it originally
RAYZA
RE: Blade Runner 2 2011/03/04 16:04:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kris

He's probably right but someone like Michael Mann could make it work.

I can't work you out lol. Not sure if serious!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 15
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0