Helpful ReplyHot!Recommend a Podcast

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5122
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2016/08/29 18:50:06 (permalink)
godf
Rapt

Cheers for the links, I agree the flu vaccine thing is a bit suspect. To be fair to him there has been extensive research on the health benefits of coconut oil, chlorella, vitamin d, and vitamin k2 since he made those claims in 05/06. I supplement all of them daily and hadn't heard of him until this week. I wouldn't dismiss this podcast so readily, it really does contain a lot of interesting information.

No problem. I've heard the health advantages of coconut oil has been exaggerated, but yeah, it does seem that there's growing evidence for the benefits of vitamin D supplementation for people spending most of their time inside.

The trouble is that the benefits of these things can be pretty minor, and it's a lot easier to do harm from following dodgy advice. The more I've read about medical research the more I think it's best to be pretty cautious with any interventions: even supposedly respectable 'mainstream' advice often seems founded on shit evidence (as the podcast I linked to illustrates).

It seems that in medicine/diet/etc people get an audience by pretending to know more than they can, and the ones we should really be listening to are the people looking confused, shrugging their shoulders and complaining that "this data is a confusing mess of contradictions".

Yeah. Ben Goldacre points out that unless you're an athlete healthy eating is trivial to get right and claiming it's some sort of dark art in order to sell books and consultation is counter productive.
godf
  • Total Posts : 4918
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2016/08/29 21:27:52 (permalink)
Lost a lot of respect for Goldacre due to his near silence on the PACE issue the last podcast I linked to was about. It touches so many issues he claims to care about... but his mentor was a key player. UK science is so incestuous and full of mates looking out for one another that it took American researchers to step in and try to sort things out. Just saw today that the Lancet is refusing to publish invited correspondence on it:

http://www.virology.ws/2016/08/29/once-again-lancet-stumbles-on-pace/
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4439
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2016/08/30 05:46:40 (permalink)
simon.r
godf
Rapt

Cheers for the links, I agree the flu vaccine thing is a bit suspect. To be fair to him there has been extensive research on the health benefits of coconut oil, chlorella, vitamin d, and vitamin k2 since he made those claims in 05/06. I supplement all of them daily and hadn't heard of him until this week. I wouldn't dismiss this podcast so readily, it really does contain a lot of interesting information.

No problem. I've heard the health advantages of coconut oil has been exaggerated, but yeah, it does seem that there's growing evidence for the benefits of vitamin D supplementation for people spending most of their time inside.

The trouble is that the benefits of these things can be pretty minor, and it's a lot easier to do harm from following dodgy advice. The more I've read about medical research the more I think it's best to be pretty cautious with any interventions: even supposedly respectable 'mainstream' advice often seems founded on shit evidence (as the podcast I linked to illustrates).

It seems that in medicine/diet/etc people get an audience by pretending to know more than they can, and the ones we should really be listening to are the people looking confused, shrugging their shoulders and complaining that "this data is a confusing mess of contradictions".

Yeah. Ben Goldacre points out that unless you're an athlete healthy eating is trivial to get right and claiming it's some sort of dark art in order to sell books and consultation is counter productive.

I enjoy listening to Ben Goldacre and agree with a lot of what he says but claiming healthy eating is trivial for a non athlete is ludicrous.
Krishu
  • Total Posts : 418
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2016/08/30 06:19:48 (permalink)
The trouble with research is to be noticed you really need to double-down on your beliefs and act as if they are best thing in the world.

Rapt
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2016/12/30 14:09:20 (permalink)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr1S3dajReU

Skip past the woo woo stuff at the beginning, great story about illegally climbing the pyramids.
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 23159
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/07/04 08:44:17 (permalink)
Russell Brand's 'Under the skin' podcasts are a good listen:

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/ywi4q-4d772/Under+The+Skin+with+Russell+Brand

Rapt
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/07/30 12:38:24 (permalink)
Would highly recommend listening to this...

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-42/

Also this...

http://www.radiolab.org/story/breaking-news/

and this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKFJ3y0TdYI (you'll need to sign up quickly to watch it all through their website)
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19721
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 03:11:40 (permalink)
The company I work for's first podcast has just gone to number 2 in the UK charts, which is unheard of for a New Zealand outlet.

It's a a bit of a Serial rip-off in terms of style but it's a fascinating story and stupidly moreish. I cracked through all 10 episodes in a week. 

It's called Black Hands and is about David Bain, a weird geeky guy who murdered (or didn't, depending on who you believe) his entire family in 1994 got found guilty, spent 15 years in prison, then won his appeal and got a $900k payout. The podcast goes through the evidence, looks at the family background and lets you draw your own conclusions.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/black-hands-a-family-mass-murder/id1259053911?mt=2

Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 08:00:19 (permalink)
Will give that a go Noc.

MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6384
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 08:22:12 (permalink)
Same. Down loading the first episode now.

I found out Stone Cold has a podcast, not listened yet but got the Ric Flair episode ready to go
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6384
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 14:44:40 (permalink)
David did it
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 16009
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 14:52:56 (permalink)
Noc
The company I work for's first podcast has just gone to number 2 in the UK charts, which is unheard of for a New Zealand outlet.

It's a a bit of a Serial rip-off in terms of style but it's a fascinating story and stupidly moreish. I cracked through all 10 episodes in a week. 

It's called Black Hands and is about David Bain, a weird geeky guy who murdered (or didn't, depending on who you believe) his entire family in 1994 got found guilty, spent 15 years in prison, then won his appeal and got a $900k payout. The podcast goes through the evidence, looks at the family background and lets you draw your own conclusions.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/podcast/black-hands-a-family-mass-murder/id1259053911?mt=2

Been listening to this, enjoyable, good work.
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44369
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/02 15:01:38 (permalink)
Those accents though 

Rapt
Noc
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/03 23:56:48 (permalink)
Syhr
Those accents though 

LOL. I've been surrounded by them 24/7 for 8 years and it still cracks me up. Hard not to laugh at every episode of Black Hands kicking off with David's "Hiiiiilp, they're all diiiiiiiiid" police call.
Noc
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/04 00:04:23 (permalink)

Also, these jumpers should have been exhibit A for the prosecution as the fashion choices of a man who would 100% murder his own family.
Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2017/08/04 02:41:26 (permalink)
Tried to get into S-Town but I found it strange and intrusive, and the main guy quite annoying. I think the bit that put me off was the recording of the phone call where he's told that guy's dead. Just seemed so insincere and cheap with him kind of doing a half 'oh my gosh...oooh ah, thats...ooh'. Fuck off pal
Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 26815
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/03/20 15:18:12 (permalink)
DrKevorkian
Just started getting in to the Athletico Mince podcasts with Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson. Takes one or two episodes to get in to it properly but it's had me in stitches. Barely any actual football chat in it. If you like Vic and Bobs stuff you'll like this.

Really late to the party on this one. Athletico Mince is fucking hilarious. First 8-12 episodes could be skipped but now it's utter perfection.

FUCKING GANGBANGERS, YOU GOTTA LOVE 'EM!

Drumshit Radio. Every Thursday 12pm.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 23939
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/03/21 13:24:48 (permalink)
Kola Nut
DrKevorkian
Just started getting in to the Athletico Mince podcasts with Bob Mortimer and Andy Dawson. Takes one or two episodes to get in to it properly but it's had me in stitches. Barely any actual football chat in it. If you like Vic and Bobs stuff you'll like this.

Really late to the party on this one. Athletico Mince is fucking hilarious. First 8-12 episodes could be skipped but now it's utter perfection.

Athletico Mince reminds be a bit of the Hamcasts.  Idiots talking absolute shite that happens to be funny.
Bertie Bassett
  • Total Posts : 665
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:27:30 (permalink)
Whagwan
Kola Nut
DrKevorkian

Athletico Mince reminds be a bit of the Hamcasts.  Idiots talking absolute shite that happens to be funny.

Cheers for the recommendation - Athletico Mince is fucking great. His songs about Sunderland, the Peter Beardsley monologues, the terrible footballer impressions (eg Rahid Sterling), and Mick "BASTARD!" McCarthy - all have me creasing in the car.
wiseacre
  • Total Posts : 20808
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:30:41 (permalink)
the peter beardsley bits are peak bleak hilarity

no
KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 16047
Re: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:33:30 (permalink)
Majik and somebody else put me onto The Guardian's Long Read podcasts in another thread, they are wicked. 
Noc
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:40:37 (permalink)
Wrestle Me is highly recommended.

https://www.acast.com/wrestleme

I haven’t watched WWF since the late 90s but listening to two blokes go through all the old Wrestlemanias one by one from the beginning ripping the shit out of them somehow the funniest thing I’ve ever heard.

The chemistry between the two hosts helps (one is Pete, the Geordie from the football ramble) but it’s mainly sordid stories about roided up sex fiends in the 80s cocaine paradise. Creases me up every week, guaranteed.
Kola Nut
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:52:45 (permalink)
The Scottish stories and Peter Beardsley are two of the funniest things in history of life.

My current rotation is:

Adam Buxton (Charlie Brooker episode was good)
Last Podcast On The Left (some loud Americans talking about serial killers and other grim subject matter)
Kermode & Mayo's Film Review
The Dave Chang Show
Plus hundreds of NBA podcasts which no one would ever care about

Revisionist History is back soon for season 3. Slow Burn: A Podcast About Watergate is worth a listen as well. Definitely going to give Wrestle Me a go, been watching stuff about wrestling on YouTube recently, mainly awful things like the Mass Transit incident and terrible injuries/botched moves.

KnuckleHead
  • Total Posts : 16047
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 10:55:09 (permalink)
New Jack doesn't have a bar from anyone

Kola Nut
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 11:01:34 (permalink)
New Jack is totally insane. His forehead is so pathetic lol. Just watched a match between Abdullah The Butcher and Hannibal. It's not even wrestling at all they just stab each other in the head with a fork for 10 minutes.

Bertie Bassett
  • Total Posts : 665
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 11:04:21 (permalink)
Noc
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 11:48:08 (permalink)
Just googled the Mass Transit incident. 17 year old kid gets brutally mutilated while his dad pleads for mercy.

File that one with the Isis beheadings in the videos I’m never going to watch category.
Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 11:51:23 (permalink)
Infinite monkey cage is proper good
Noc
Re: RE: Recommend a Podcast 2018/05/14 11:58:24 (permalink)
Shiverman
Infinite monkey cage is proper good

Heard good things about that one but the 3 or 4 shows I listened to didn’t grab me.

Any standout episodes worth checking?
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0