Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]GAMING

Page: << < ..796797798799800.. > >> Showing page 800 of 830
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 94182
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 17:21:47 (permalink)
i swear VR seems to be flopping, i thought it would grow steadily but the quality games aren't being released, VR YouTubers are closing their channels and i turn on my Vive about once a month. It's a shame really, it has so much potential. Maybe it just won't take off until it's higher res.
Syhr
  • Total Posts : 44175
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 17:28:42 (permalink)
On PC maybe 

Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 8166
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 17:43:15 (permalink)
VR won't take off because it takes so much effort. When you are at home you just want to be sitting with a pad in front of the TV with minimal effort. You don't want some thing strapped to your head

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 17:48:59 (permalink)
Syhr
On PC maybe 

PSVR has sold 2 million, not that impressive even though it's better than Vive or Rift. PSVR just isn't very good with it's low resolution and shitty cameras and tracking and the PS4 is woefully under powered for VR, and it still has hardly any decent games.
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 17:51:18 (permalink)
Jonesy.
VR won't take off because it takes so much effort. When you are at home you just want to be sitting with a pad in front of the TV with minimal effort. You don't want some thing strapped to your head

Setting it up is a bit of a pain, gotta move stuff out of the way, configure the room space, make sure the 6 different cables are plugged in. Steam VR is one of the buggiest programs i've ever used, constantly crashing or menus stop working, not to mention all the set up trying to get games hitting 90fps and if they don't it makes me feel like i'm going to be sick. There's a lot of potential but it's a long way off being ready for the mainstream.

I pretty much only use it when i fancy a bit of exercise, an hour with some games and i'm knackered and pouring with sweat, that's not always very appealing though,
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/02/09 17:52:42
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 18:33:31 (permalink)
Anyone played the Shadow of War DLC?
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5799
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 18:45:52 (permalink)
I don't think VR gaming will ever take off in a massive way - not in it's current form. 

I've played on it and enjoyed it but nowhere near enough to go out and buy it for like £300. 

There's some fun 'mini' games but they're just that - mostly content-lacking gimmick games to pass the time. 

Anything remotely realistic with movement makes you feel sick and the control feels way less accurate compared to just playing with a controller on the TV. 

It's not for me. 
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/09 19:39:30 (permalink)
eventually it will be like wearing sunglasses, it will be huge once we are at that stage, especially if they can get rid of motion sickness. I spent 800 on mine, i used it every day for about 6 months but very little recently. About to have a go on it now for the first time in weeks.
spils
  • Total Posts : 15083
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 11:03:44 (permalink)
Needs a much higher res before it comes mainstream. Its doing very well in the simworld. Another generation or 3 of it and it will be a fundamental part of PC gaming imo especially on the sim side of things.

Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8258
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 11:11:50 (permalink)
AR >>> VR

shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24537
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 13:39:51 (permalink)
Accessibility is the primary thing that was fucking VR over, it never had a chance with such high barriers to entry. Nobody will develop software if there isn't a market for it and if there isn't a decent selection of software you aren't going to convince many people to spend hundreds on the hardware no matter how good it looks.

Performance may be lacklustre in some cases but you only have to look at console sales figures to see that it's not the be all and end all.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 14903
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 14:04:09 (permalink)
I had and sold psvr last xmas. Was good fun for couple of nights with mates etc, but playing on my own around the family was just impossible really.

It’s so much more anti social than standard gaming, needing to sit in the right spot with space around you and cables running everywhere whilst not being able see or hear anyone else. It was too much like hard work.

Plus while the games were fun it’s not exactly pleasant having screens strapped that close to your eyes. I found my mates rift to be a bit nicer in that regard with the higher res and frame rate, but I’d still much rather not be wearing it.

I reckon it’ll all but disappear over the next couple of years and then have a resurgence in a decade or so once it can be reliably wireless with a full field of vision, super high res and frame rate.
clark grizwald
  • Total Posts : 4545
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 16:24:59 (permalink)
Just finished Celeste - what a great fucking game! Tested the limits of my platforming skill I think lol. Fuck some of those B-side levels right off  - don't think I'll ever be able to complete a few of them. Still need to go back and try and get all the strawberries, there also seems to be an epilogue level that is locked until you collect hearts, of which I have 0

Enter the Gungeon is £3.70 on the Russian store so might give that a go next. Darkside Detective looks interesting also

JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 10894
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 17:00:14 (permalink)
Whats the 4:11 about steam and Russian store? Obviously don't want to jeopardise my account but I'd love to save a shilling or two 
clark grizwald
  • Total Posts : 4545
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 17:01:40 (permalink)
I got it on the Switch. Just need to change region in your settings then buy through PayPal. Not sure about Steam.

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 17:05:40 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Whats the 4:11 about steam and Russian store? Obviously don't want to jeopardise my account but I'd love to save a shilling or two 

why not just buy games on cdkeys etc?
Specialized1
  • Total Posts : 21694
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 17:33:24 (permalink)
Had a go at VR today in this VR arcade thing in Bristol. The best there was a two player defence type game where you shoot waves of robots. Was a good feeling dual wielding and licking of heads left and right and I'd definitely like to play it again. The rest was a bit rubbish really, there was a racing game that was ok and some sickness inducing one where you're on a big swing that I couldn't handle.

I do quite fancy getting some kit now though. Is there anything coming on the horizon with better res?

STEAM - McGrayUK
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 17:43:13 (permalink)
Yeah Vive Pro later this year is 2880 x 1600, the regular Vive is 2160 x 1200. I doubt i'll get the Pro as it's hard enough hitting 90fps in loads of games already, i'll probably get the Vive 2 when the next generation GPUs are out. Even though i don't use it as much as i'd like i still always want to have VR available when i fancy it. I'm moving house later this year and wouldn't mind getting a spare room just for VR which i can leave permanently set up.

post edited by RAYZA - 2018/02/11 17:45:17
Specialized1
  • Total Posts : 21694
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 18:04:54 (permalink)
I'm doing the same and having similar thoughts.

You're right about the potential. The two player aspect was awesome with mics, are there many multiplayer games?

STEAM - McGrayUK
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/11 18:27:34 (permalink)
there are some yeah

Onward isn't my thing so i haven't tried it yet but it's a popular military FPS

There are pool and table tennis games

VR chat rooms/social spaces

Elite Dangerous

Raw Data is a really good sci fi FPS

Echo Arena is a futuristic competitive sport

The amount of room you have makes a big difference to how much you'll enjoy them, when you're banging into walls and worrying about what you're going to knock over it gets pretty annoying, i've got it in a fairly small room at the moment so looking forward to moving it into a bigger space. It really is great for keeping fit if you use it regularly.
Syhr
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 11:47:52 (permalink)
Pretty impressed with the Switch, although it feels a bit flimsy in handheld mode, and having the buttons round the wrong way to cancel/comfirm things is doing my head in.

I caved and bought Zelda as well as Mario and glad I did, first impressions are that I'm going to love it.

dazdsb
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 11:54:54 (permalink)
dude, get yourself one of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Protective-Shock-Absorption-Anti-Scratch-Nintendo-Black/dp/B07457V4XJ

I keep posting it in this thread but it's really great. adds some extra depth to where you hold it and gets rid of hand cramps, protects the switch and also reduces the strain on the joy-cons which eventually can cause them to become a bit loose. 

it's £12.99 and worth every penny.
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:21:48 (permalink)
Nintendo always seem to have their button set up to the reverse of the industry standard, it's quite annoying.

I've still barely played Celeste, it's one of those games I need to be in the right mood for as it's so intense.
Syhr
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:22:48 (permalink)
good shout, bagged.

Razor
Nintendo always seem to have their button set up to the reverse of the industry standard, it's quite annoying.

It's the Japanese standard way, everyone else localises their button layout though
post edited by Syhr - 2018/02/12 12:24:05

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:24:14 (permalink)
dazdsb
dude, get yourself one of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Protective-Shock-Absorption-Anti-Scratch-Nintendo-Black/dp/B07457V4XJ

I keep posting it in this thread but it's really great. adds some extra depth to where you hold it and gets rid of hand cramps, protects the switch and also reduces the strain on the joy-cons which eventually can cause them to become a bit loose. 

it's £12.99 and worth every penny.

Do you need to take if off to charge? I have a similar thing for Vita but it became a bit of a pain constantly taking it off
dazdsb
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:31:48 (permalink)
Razor
Do you need to take if off to charge? I have a similar thing for Vita but it became a bit of a pain constantly taking it off.

Hey man, nope - you can access all ports, the stand and the cartridge slot with the case on. 

You do need to take it off to dock but it's literally a 2 second thing so no bother at all. It's slightly too wide to fit into the dock with it on but there's only like 1 or 2 cases out there that do and they're thin as fuck. 
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:36:07 (permalink)
Just got it. It came with a free iPhone case that I have no use for, bit random.
dazdsb
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:37:08 (permalink)
awesome! your hands will thank you.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 14903
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 12:44:25 (permalink)
Syhr
Razor

It's the Japanese standard way, everyone else localises their button layout though

Remember loads of PSone games having their buttons configured the Nintendo way, ie FF7 had circle for 'confirm' and X for 'back'. 

Also triangle used to be 'back' on a lot of playstation games, before it got moved to circle.

Seeing as all modern gamepads are based on the snes controller you could argue that everyone else apart from Nintendo is doing it wrong.
post edited by Postman Pat - 2018/02/12 12:45:44
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 10894
Re: GAMING 2018/02/12 20:29:38 (permalink)
Anyone tried the Blitzkrieg games? 

I've always wanted to give them a go after seeing Mark try and win the war for the Nazis in Peep Show lol
Page: << < ..796797798799800.. > >> Showing page 800 of 830
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0