Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]GAMING

Page: << < ..781782783784785.. > >> Showing page 783 of 845
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 94993
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 16:51:08 (permalink)
PSX tonight at 4am, not expecting many big announcements but you never know
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8514
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 16:54:31 (permalink)
Razor
winter
Bloodborne is one of the greatest games of all time

I can't even fathom how anyone could rate it that highly. What's so good about it? Seems like people big it up just because it's hard. I want to like it or i wouldn't have bought it, i like the setting and the style but meh, i really don't get it. 

Exactly how i feel about Bloodborne.

I don't mind hard games at all - i just can't be arsed with a game that runs like it's in slow motion at times with all the jerky frame issues and has basically bad clunky controls . Im genuinely baffled why its so highly rated given some obvious issues the game has. 

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 16:57:21 (permalink)
Yeah, it's nothing to do with not liking it because it's hard, Cuphead is one of my favourite games of the year. It's difficulty comes from a lack of check points which is such a shit way to create a challenge. Yeah the controls are clunky and unresponsive, a game like that HAS to be 60fps but this is usually in the 20s. I like hard games if they are super responsive and if dying feels like it was my own fault, not because i'm fighting against technical issues and poor controls. I felt the same about Demon & Dark Souls. If i give it another go and i get into it i shall report back and admit i was wrong lol.
post edited by RAYZA - 2017/12/08 17:00:23
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1285
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:07:32 (permalink)
TBH sometimes dying in *-Souls IS your own fault (although sometimes it's just random enemy attack bullshit). But the fact the previous save point was in a different fucking country several weeks gameplay back....isn't your fault 

...is this what you want???
Fiend.
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:10:19 (permalink)
A post I did elsewhere that sums up how I feel:

DS3.

Okay so this is an obviously flawed game:

-  The boss balance is completely fucked up. Some are so easy to be disappointingly negligble, some are so frustratingly hard there can never be any pleasure in the fight. And most of the latter are farcically simple when cooped. Totally unbalanced compared to the game in general.
- The boss arenas mostly spoil the gameflow and are quite arbitrary and out of character with the general progression / exploration of the game.
- The story / plot is entirely incomprehensible and obscure... "Learn it through the game, nub", yeah whatever I heeded all the available lore and it still made no fucking sense.
- The NPC quests are even worse, almost all of them are based on totally secret random conditions and actions that are impossible to quest and almost certainly fail on the first time playthrough.
- The PC port is adequately poor especially bad rebinding and not changing menus to kb+m style (despite the game obviously being perfectly playable with kb+m).
- Bonfire spacings are quite screwy.
- Lothric area always loads like a slideshow.
- Ithryll Dungeons and Smouldering Lake corridor sections are a bit meh.
- Online aspect is an immersion-spoiling mess of invasions messages and bloodstains everywhere.

But....but but but.....

+ The dark gothic fantasy aspect is done perfectly.
+ It looks utterly amazing in style and design (even on Low graphics).
+ Some of the scenes are mind-blowingly good - popping out in front of Ithryll Of Boreal Valley is THE more stunning scene I've seen in 18 years of gaming.
+ The exploration and interconnectivity is amazing.
+ The monsters and enemies are very cool, characterful, varied and impressive - including many of the bosses. Some of the designs are bonkers, some are inspiring, some of the attacks are hilarious/disturbing.
+ The non-boss combat is generally good, fair, and interesting, and the enemy variety and styles make it pretty rewarding. 
+ The amount of optional areas and secrets are great.
+ Some of the NPCs are cute / cool (Onion Bro!)
+ The overall world is so well done and immersive (despite the obscure / unconvincing lore), that it is actually a wrench to reach the end and stop exploring it.

In short I'd say it is maybe 80% perfect?? But that 80% is actually just SO good, it's worth 112.5% extra, so I give it 90% perfect.

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:11:11 (permalink)
I forgot there's a fair bit of trial and error gameplay with enemies jumping out behind you, that combined with hardly any checkpoints is just poor game design.
Fiend.
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:14:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RAYZA 2017/12/08 17:17:35
And not having any skill-settings to mitigate that.............

TBH the worst thing about From Software games is the legions of e-macho fanbois waving their chodes around and waffling on about "git gud" as if such pathetic posturing adequately answers clear design flaws....

winter
  • Total Posts : 4235
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:16:08 (permalink)
The start of Bloodborne is probably the hardest part of the game and i can see how it may be off putting for some players but if you persist you will be rewarded. The level design is interconnected, complex and full of great moments of realisation like when you have been traversing a large section, to reach a gate/door, then open it to realise you have found a shortcut which is right near where you started but this is a small victory prividing a bit of relief and offering a new route for you to progress through. It is level design unlike any other I've played.
I really enjoyed the gameplay and the risk / reward system it offers with combat, the enemy design and bosses were always interesting and challenging but fair, I love the design and it is probably the most atmospheric game I have ever played.

I hear you on the fps issues though. Really, that would be my only criticism.

Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:21:58 (permalink)
The atmosphere and art style is great. 
I will probably give it another whirl at some point.

I'm still playing The Evil Within 2 at moment. 
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 17:27:12 (permalink)

highlight of last night lol, off his nut
Fiend.
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 18:38:42 (permalink)
winter
The start of Bloodborne is probably the hardest part of the game and i can see how it may be off putting for some players but if you persist you will be rewarded. The level design is interconnected, complex and full of great moments of realisation like when you have been traversing a large section, to reach a gate/door, then open it to realise you have found a shortcut which is right near where you started but this is a small victory prividing a bit of relief and offering a new route for you to progress through. It is level design unlike any other I've played.
I really enjoyed the gameplay and the risk / reward system it offers with combat, the enemy design and bosses were always interesting and challenging but fair, I love the design and it is probably the most atmospheric game I have ever played.

That's what I found about DS3.

Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 18:59:42 (permalink)
Razor

nah he's just 'jetlagged'
honest

SW14
  • Total Posts : 12374
Re: GAMING 2017/12/08 19:40:22 (permalink)
I'd longed FIFA off for months but gave it another run out last night. Seems they've fixed their bug where every game is 8-6.

Had a calm 1-1 and 2-1. Much more like it.
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19410
Re: GAMING 2017/12/09 04:45:34 (permalink)
Razor

Trashing EA while plugging his game that EA have literally financed. Balls of steel.
Fiend.
Re: GAMING 2017/12/09 09:26:07 (permalink)

Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/09 11:33:07 (permalink)
Finished Evil Within 2 last night.

Pretty decent . Some great bits and some shite bits too. 

one thing that really pissed me off by time i ended up at last boss i had fuck all health and no means to make any more (didnt have the resources) and must have died god knows how many times. And no i wasn't going to re-load any previous earlier save point. Was one hit and dead for countless times. 

Anyhow... I liked the hub world open world parts near beginning the best. Whole sidequests in a horror game malarky etc worked  well surprisingly and reckon any horror games in future will rip off that element. 

Game was much better than the first game in many ways but still had some same problems control wise (im actually sure the stealth bit for example was worse and were was the matches ??). And at  same time did some things worse. Repetitive enemies for starters. Im sure the first game didn't have the same repetition in cannon fodder zombie-type enemies.  It wasn't as fucked up and weird as first game either. 

That said it was decent enough and anyone who likes survival horror or Resident Evil 4 would like. 
wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2721
Re: GAMING 2017/12/09 12:18:40 (permalink)
winter

Was just about to type a long post about this but thank you as I am very hung over. Basically mirrors what I was going to say - the issue is the FPS but I cannot recall it really causing an issue with death.

I get what people say about the save points but for me the enjoyment of finally completing a section you have spent hours on was not rivalled by many games. Once you work out the 'puzzle' on the section you are on that area is generally much simpler, and yes from what I recall the start was one of the hardest bits.

Great game (I am also no fanboy)
godf
  • Total Posts : 4897
Re: GAMING 2017/12/09 18:31:11 (permalink)
Razor
DJModus
frizzyd
I have never been much a bit gamer, I liked Doom back in the day, The Getaway, Sydney Olympics

And back, back in the day, Sonic, Mario, Mario Kart, Pacman!!!

But I appreciate these are prehistoric based on what games are like these days.

I've only recently got properly back into gaming having been stuck playing N64 games relentlessly since the age of about 11. 

One thing I've noticed is that 2D platformers seem to have made a big comeback these days. Games like Rayman, Sonic Mania and a whole bunch of indie games get rave reviews. 

If you're stuck in the retro days I reckon now is a good time to get back into gaming. 

Yeah definitely get Rayman Legends if you liked platformers, it's kid friendly with lots of easy levels but it's also a real challenge with lots of tough levels later on. And the music rhythm levels are incredible. The best 2d platformer of all time imo, I'm playing through it a second time now, it's just a shake that the levels that were designed for a touch screen don't work too well on PS4 but it's not enough to ruin it.

Rayman Legends on Switch is £20 at Amazon. Don't know if it uses the switches touchscreen, but I'd assume it does. https://www.amazon.co.uk/...psc=1&tag=ho01f-21
Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/10 00:37:07 (permalink)
Finished Horizon Zero Dawn. Took me 56 hours according to my play. I didn't do that much side missions or side quests though. Loads of stuff i didn't do thinking about it.

One best games of this year.
Jimmy2Shoes
  • Total Posts : 6028
Re: GAMING 2017/12/10 19:34:15 (permalink)
Has anyone managed to complete the Darker side of the Moon in mario?.

It’s rock hard
Noc
  • Total Posts : 19410
Re: GAMING 2017/12/10 21:26:23 (permalink)
Bloodborne/Souls games are incredible if that's what you're into - brilliantly designed deeply layered worlds with a steep learning curve and rock solid challenge.

I've always struggled to get into them because I play games for escapism and relaxation - not teeth-grindingly intense ordeals that are deliberately designed to frustrate you until you master them through repetition.

Same reason I could never really get on with Cuphead. It's obviously a great game but just not for me.
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/10 23:38:42 (permalink)

So happy to see how good this looks. It really just is Top Spin 5 which has been my most wanted game for years, can't fucking wait. What happened to Props on here? We used to have some epic Top Spin 4 matches on the 360.
post edited by RAYZA - 2017/12/10 23:50:12
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:00:43 (permalink)

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - Switch, PC, PS4, Xbox

Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:23:57 (permalink)
Fucking hell !

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:25:08 (permalink)
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/all-controller-universal-fully-customizable--3#/

this controller looks interesting, works with every console, PC, Android etc.
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:26:47 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
Fucking hell !

I wish they had the EX series in there too, i haven't played them for years. Oh and Street Fighter The Movie The Game lol
Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:30:19 (permalink)
the SNK Vs Capcom games were great too 

but man its been so long since ive played Alpha 3 and Third Strike - they were the bestest. 

RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:35:32 (permalink)
don't think that would get in a SF collection though, maybe Marvel v Street Fighter
RAYZA
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:37:22 (permalink)

You got....Paid?

Stoopid_Fux
Re: GAMING 2017/12/11 00:42:26 (permalink)
can't say i ever played the movie game lol

i very vaguely remember one of the EX games on PS1 . don't think was made by Capcom tho was it?

ive never played Street Fighter 1 come to think of it.
Page: << < ..781782783784785.. > >> Showing page 783 of 845
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0