AnsweredHot!Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces)

Page: << < ..464748 > Showing page 47 of 48
Author
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7429
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/07 10:34:26 (permalink)
I prefer platinum over gold 

Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29824
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/07 11:13:36 (permalink)
AP>>>>>>IWC

KNUCKLES
  • Total Posts : 14484
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/07 11:16:16 (permalink)
How much is that collection worth Bruce Bog?

Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 300
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 07:17:28 (permalink)
Lrrr

Looks so much nicer in real life.

Tbf though whenever I see someone wearing one of these they just look like "try hards". Either some weasely trust fund student trying giving it the biggun or some old man clearly past his prime trying to be down with the kids.

If bought as an investment then great, however I wouldn't wear it for want of looking a complete bell end.

That gold roley you have is much cheaper than the AP but is a total abomination ....gaudy as fuck.

Nothing screams "im a try hard" more than a brash statement wrapped around your wrist IMO
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 07:24:40 (permalink)
All depends on the wearer and their circumstances IMO. I collect them as an enthusiast and appreciate the build/history of them, not the price tag.

But the people that almost bankrupt themselves or put themselves in debt just to have a ROLY or a ROO(ney)
yeah... bit embarrassing.

Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 08:16:46 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
All depends on the wearer and their circumstances IMO. I collect them as an enthusiast and appreciate the build/history of them, not the price tag.

But the people that almost bankrupt themselves or put themselves in debt just to have a ROLY or a ROO(ney)
yeah... bit embarrassing.

Yep I get that and agree.  Personally I would understand buying the most horrific of watches if it was a sound investment.   

I guess my take is from a societal perspective.  Reportedly you have nurses etc going to food banks then on the flip you have investment banker types or trust fund students bowling around with £20k+ AP's / Hublots etc...i just can't justify it....like Harry Enfields Loadsamoney geezer from the '80s

Maybe i'm a bit of a hypocrite because i can kind of understand spending a lot on a luxury car but not a watch.
Majik
  • Total Posts : 40882
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 08:37:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lrrr 2017/10/09 10:22:30
Yeah Mal doesn't fall into either of those brackets man.

SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2014
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 08:59:40 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
...the movement inside (Co-axial 8912 caliber) is an absolute PEACH.

Lol! Immense quote.

Arguing about watch movement. That's on a par with any of Spils' computer geekery
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 10:30:08 (permalink)
SmokedEggs
BrianBadonde

Lol! Immense quote.

Arguing about watch movement. That's on a par with any of Spils' computer geekery

Tbf, the movement inside a watch is around 70/80% of its value... for most watch enthusiasts, it's the most important part (Not for me, I don't really give a shit about that stuff) 

Cybotron
Lrrr

Tbf though whenever I see someone wearing one of these they just look like "try hards". Either some weasely trust fund student trying giving it the biggun or some old man clearly past his prime trying to be down with the kids.

If bought as an investment then great, however I wouldn't wear it for want of looking a complete bell end.

That gold roley you have is much cheaper than the AP but is a total abomination ....gaudy as fuck.

Nothing screams "im a try hard" more than a brash statement wrapped around your wrist IMO

Probably more in the 'old man clearly past his prime trying to be down with the kids' camp tbh.

The gold Rolex is loud as fuck - it probably gets worn once a month tops, however, I'd always wanted a gold Rolex and an AP, so I bought them.... it's that simple.

Luxury cars depreciate in value, luxury watches appreciate, or at the bare minimum hold their value.

Elbow Thermometer
  • Total Posts : 3033
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 10:39:53 (permalink)
I like this
https://www.watches.co.uk...earch_string=Calatrava
Or this
http://www.watchfinder.co...G-012/27549/item/98140

Can’t afford either though. Any budget alternatives?

I also want to post this. I know I shouldn’t like it but it’s oddly appealing...
https://www.jomashop.com/...ci-1130-gr-abr-10.html
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 10:41:14 (permalink)
MrSlickle
I like this
https://www.watches.co.uk...earch_string=Calatrava
Or this
http://www.watchfinder.co...G-012/27549/item/98140

Can’t afford either though. Any budget alternatives?

I also want to post this. I know I shouldn’t like it but it’s oddly appealing...
https://www.jomashop.com/...ci-1130-gr-abr-10.html

The big bang is vile.

My old man has got a Calatrava, lovely watch.

Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 10:54:06 (permalink)
Lrrr

Luxury cars depreciate in value, luxury watches appreciate, or at the bare minimum hold their value.

Very true but I guess i'm looking at it's intrinsic value.  With a more high end car you're likely to get you from A to B quicker and in more comfort ...and with your friends / family in tow.

A watch - well it just tells the time really and no one else can benefit from it - unless they are fanboys playing pocket billiards whilst looking at you wearing it or when you die and your family inherit it from you.  That is if you haven't been jacked for it already.

Edit:  And appreciate that i come across as a right dry lunch however i do appreciate beauty and craftsmanship and have an Omega ... nowhere near as expensive as some of the watches mentioned here though!
post edited by Cybotron - 2017/10/09 10:57:57
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 11:03:15 (permalink)
Cybotron
Lrrr

Very true but I guess i'm looking at it's intrinsic value.  With a more high end car you're likely to get you from A to B quicker and in more comfort ...and with your friends / family in tow.

A watch - well it just tells the time really and no one else can benefit from it - unless they are fanboys playing pocket billiards whilst looking at you wearing it or when you die and your family inherit it from you.  That is if you haven't been jacked for it already.

Edit:  And appreciate that i come across as a right dry lunch however i do appreciate beauty and craftsmanship and have an Omega ... nowhere near as expensive as some of the watches mentioned here though!

I've got already got a nice car, I've got a brand new flat... I wouldn't ever short other areas of my life just to buy watches! Thankfully I live in Surrey so very little chance of me getting robbed.

A nice watch makes me happier than driving a nice car does - different strokes for different folks. Trying to justify 20k watches is impossible, so I don't even try. Also to be fair, most people would think an Omega was too much money to spend on a watch!

Elbow Thermometer
  • Total Posts : 3033
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 11:46:48 (permalink)
Lrrr
SmokedEggs
BrianBadonde

Lol! Immense quote.

Tbf, the movement inside a watch is around 70/80% of its value... for most watch enthusiasts, it's the most important part (Not for me, I don't really give a shit about that stuff) 

Cybotron
Lrrr

Depends which ones you buy.
wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2219
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:03:22 (permalink)
Lrrr
Cybotron
Lrrr

I've got already got a nice car, I've got a brand new flat... I wouldn't ever short other areas of my life just to buy watches! Thankfully I live in Surrey so very little chance of me getting robbed.

A nice watch makes me happier than driving a nice car does - different strokes for different folks. Trying to justify 20k watches is impossible, so I don't even try. Also to be fair, most people would think an Omega was too much money to spend on a watch!

It is a nice watch although I would rather buy a house than a flat. Each to their own
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:05:10 (permalink)
Why would I spend an extra £400 a month to get a house when I live on my own?

wakeytom
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:08:00 (permalink)
Lrrr
Why would I spend an extra £400 a month to get a house when I live on my own?

As I said personal preference, I much prefer a house where you also do not need to pay ground rent (which I assume you do) to have my own garden, driveway no one living either above or below me etc
Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:09:31 (permalink)
Lrrr

A nice watch makes me happier than driving a nice car does - different strokes for different folks. Trying to justify 20k watches is impossible, so I don't even try. Also to be fair, most people would think an Omega was too much money to spend on a watch!  I felt I was pushing it after 

I think your AP is beautiful and understandable how it can make you feel special wearing it however it is undeniably a proper statement watch - literally jumping off the wrist yelling at everyone that you've made it in life - even if you haven't quite. 

Horses for courses but to me £20k is a major chunk of a deposit for a rental flat - so for me even after gettting that 3rd income source i would strugle to justify to even myself such an extravagant purchase.  I'd have a major time explaining that to my friends or family for sure.  In fairness i didn't have that struggle with the Omega which is pretty understated and relativey cheap at £2.3k

A wise (and pretty well off) man made a comment that resonated with me many moons ago - "No one likes a flash cunt".  He used to own a major London nightclub and used to wear jeans, tshirt and pretty well worn trainers all the time - and no i never saw him with a Hublot etc. 
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:14:42 (permalink)
Yeah, it's loud as fuck, no denying that. I don't wear that or the Day-Date to work, they just draw too much attention.

wakeytom
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:21:00 (permalink)
Cybotron
Lrrr

A nice watch makes me happier than driving a nice car does - different strokes for different folks. Trying to justify 20k watches is impossible, so I don't even try. Also to be fair, most people would think an Omega was too much money to spend on a watch!  I felt I was pushing it after 

I think your AP is beautiful and understandable how it can make you feel special wearing it however it is undeniably a proper statement watch - literally jumping off the wrist yelling at everyone that you've made it in life - even if you haven't quite. 

Horses for courses but to me £20k is a major chunk of a deposit for a rental flat - so for me even after gettting that 3rd income source i would strugle to justify to even myself such an extravagant purchase.  I'd have a major time explaining that to my friends or family for sure.  In fairness i didn't have that struggle with the Omega which is pretty understated and relativey cheap at £2.3k

A wise (and pretty well off) man made a comment that resonated with me many moons ago - "No one likes a flash cunt".  He used to own a major London nightclub and used to wear jeans, tshirt and pretty well worn trainers all the time - and no i never saw him with a Hublot etc. 

Problem with that now is the changes to income tax though so an investment like a watch which if you sell for a return later on is likely to be non-taxable however the overall yield will then come in to question which route you should have taken
Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:30:53 (permalink)
wakeytom
Cybotron

Problem with that now is the changes to income tax though so an investment like a watch which if you sell for a return later on is likely to be non-taxable however the overall yield will then come in to question which route you should have taken

That's a really good point.  I would prob then give the £20k to my mrs so she could get the property under her name.

40% sucks

Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 12:35:31 (permalink)
It's harder having money than poor people realize.

When I eventually grow up, I'm gonna chop the AP in for something like this

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%20Philippe/Annual%20Calendar/5056P/28274/item/86630

Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 13:01:09 (permalink)
Lrrr
It's harder having money than poor people realize.

When I eventually grow up, I'm gonna chop the AP in for something like this

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek%20Philippe/Annual%20Calendar/5056P/28274/item/86630

Haha .. that Patek is special.

My next and final watch purchase will be this.  

http://www.jaeger-lecoult...-calendar/1558420.html

Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 13:04:48 (permalink)
Yeah that's lovely. There's something about JLC I can't get on with and I'm not sure why. My AP has got a JLC movement in.

Cybotron
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 13:35:50 (permalink)
Lrrr
Yeah that's lovely. There's something about JLC I can't get on with and I'm not sure why. My AP has got a JLC movement in.

Aspergers ?

That's some next level of detail you're getting into there! 
Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 13:37:51 (permalink)
I spend more time on rolexforums.com than here, I could bore you all to tears with the level of detail I go into lol.

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 15:09:20 (permalink)
House>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>flat

Lrrr
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 15:11:24 (permalink)
Go look at your awful Panerai's 

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 15:12:50 (permalink)
I can't remember if i've left one downstairs... up here on the second floor... or perhaps the third

The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43603
Re: RE: Watches (@Lrrr and people with quality timepieces) 2017/10/09 15:24:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Syzlack_24 2017/10/09 17:28:49
You 2 give off some serious small dick vibes in this thread.

Page: << < ..464748 > Showing page 47 of 48
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0