Helpful ReplyHot!UFC / MMA Thread -

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 142
Author
Jutt
  • Total Posts : 2150
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 20:59:24 (permalink)
As good as it is to ( possibly ) see Fedor fight , it gets to a point where you're predicting what round he'll win in as opposed to who will win the fight.

This won't always be the case , but for the foreseeable future it's highly likely.

ORIGINAL: nayf

Why do you need a tough dog? Who do you need protecting from? Ze Germans?

ORIGINAL: Stamina MC

I'm too busy shaking my head in disbelief to be offended.

greenfrog
  • Total Posts : 4738
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 21:12:22 (permalink)
Andrei Arlovski and Brett Rogers will meet in a featured bout for Strikeforce ?Lawler vs. Shields? on June 6 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

Strikeforce Director of Public Relations Mike Afromowitz confirmed the heavyweight matchup to Sherdog.com Tuesday.

Arlovski (15-6), 30, was knocked out by No. 1 world-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko at Affliction ?Day of Reckoning? in January, but acquitted himself well in the bout?s opening moments.

The defeat snapped a five-fight win streak for Sherdog.com?s No. 2-ranked Arlovski, which included crushing TK0 victories over former IFL standouts Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, as well as UFC heavyweight Fabricio Werdum.

Rogers (9-0) made his promotional debut on April 11, stopping Ron Humphrey with second-round knees. The Minneapolis native will carry a 30-pound advantage over Arlovski in the bout.

Arlovski had been previously announced to make his professional boxing debut on June 27 in Los Angeles for Golden Boy Promotions, which has a promotional relationship with Affliction Entertainment. Arlovski also has a single fight left on a three-bout contract with Affliction.

Arlovski?s management could not be initially reached for comment.

The June 6 event will be headlined by a middleweight matchup between former EliteXC 185-pound champ Robbie Lawler and 170-pound kingpin Jake Shields.

Strikeforce ?Shields vs. Lawler? airs live on Showtime at 10 p.m. EST.

Lawler vs. Shields
Diaz vs. Smith
Overeem vs. TBA
Baroni vs. Riggs
Randleman vs. Whitehead
Arlovski vs. Rogers

absolutely BIG card top to bottom

greenfrog
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 21:14:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jutt

As good as it is to ( possibly ) see Fedor fight , it gets to a point where you're predicting what round he'll win in as opposed to who will win the fight.

This won't always be the case , but for the foreseeable future it's highly likely.

that's what makes him so mysterious and interesting to watch, no fighter has had this kind of aura/mystique about him since tyson in the late 80s.
Jutt
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 21:28:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: greenfrog

that's what makes him so mysterious and interesting to watch, no fighter has had this kind of aura/mystique about him since tyson in the late 80s.

Some one could possibly do a Buster Douglas on him one of these days and beat the bully.

They do compare him to Tyson though in the respect of beating his opponents before he's even fought them.

MikeyPat
  • Total Posts : 12034
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 22:17:38 (permalink)

Exactly, and the fact he's so humble, quiet, and Russian lol. He's a legend already, really want to see him fight live before his time is up.

Strikeforce ?Shields vs. Lawler? airs live on Showtime at 10 p.m. EST.

Lawler vs. Shields
Diaz vs. Smith
Overeem vs. TBA
Baroni vs. Riggs
Randleman vs. Whitehead
Arlovski vs. Rogers

absolutely BIG card top to bottom

Yeah that could end up being a huge card, makes you wonder whether they are getting too carried away though. There are some big wages to pay there.

Jutt
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 22:20:52 (permalink)
I wouldn't mind seeing him live.

Shame it's all stopped in Japan , would have been class going over there IMO.

MikeyPat
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 22:49:50 (permalink)

I wouldn't mind seeing him live.

Shame it's all stopped in Japan , would have been class going over there IMO.

Yeah I'd give a lot to have seen PRIDE in it's prime, especially one of their stacked cards and they had many.
DJ_H20
  • Total Posts : 15655
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 22:50:50 (permalink)
What channel is strikeforce/affliction on normally?
misstake
  • Total Posts : 271
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/19 23:37:48 (permalink)
Just thought I'd add my two pennies worth...

Don't know if you guys have heard of Cage Rage, back in the day. Well they've changed their name to 'Ultimate Challenge UK' -UCUK and put nights on every 6 weeks or so at The Troxy (East End).

Next one's HEAT on the 11th of July.

Their website is www.ucuk.tv
Some of the highlights are on http://www.youtube.com/user/ultimatechallengeuk

Enjoy!
greenfrog
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 01:26:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: misstake

Don't know if you guys have heard of Cage Rage, back in the day. Well they've changed their name to 'Ultimate Challenge UK' -UCUK and put nights on every 6 weeks or so at The Troxy (East End).

Enjoy!

yeah I used to watch cage rage a bit when it was around, went to a couple events saw matt the law lindland and vitor belfort fight it was a big night, I thought they folded after elite xc got bought out, I'll check this other promotion you mention.
misstake
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:05:24 (permalink)

Enjoy!

yeah I used to watch cage rage a bit when it was around, went to a couple events saw matt the law lindland and vitor belfort fight it was a big night, I thought they folded after elite xc got bought out, I'll check this other promotion you mention.

It's the same guys - still headed out by Dave O'Donnell - they just rebranded.
DJ_H20
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:09:11 (permalink)
i still watch cage rage replaying on extreme sports some nights. some good fights
misstake
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:20:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DJ_H20

i still watch cage rage replaying on extreme sports some nights. some good fights

UCUK is starting to pick up momentum now. The fight card for July 11th is pretty strong - come check it out!
The tickets start from £25 - it's a steal
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4725
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:22:33 (permalink)

Enjoy!

Is it Dave O'Donnell who's behind this BAMMA org? And are the Ultimate Challenge shows still being broadcast on Bravo, now that Bravo have signed BAMMA?
misstake
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:35:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mulla

Enjoy!

Is it Dave O'Donnell who's behind this BAMMA org? And are the Ultimate Challenge shows still being broadcast on Bravo, now that Bravo have signed BAMMA?

I don't know, I'm only the promo girl
About Bravo - I think UCUK's got something else in the pipeline
Mulla
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 10:55:05 (permalink)

I don't know, I'm only the promo girl
About Bravo - I think UCUK's got something else in the pipeline

Cool cheers for the info.
greenfrog
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 19:36:08 (permalink)
watch every single one of fedor emelianenko's fights here:

http://www.fun-on.com/Fedor_Emelianenko_videos.php

MikeyPat
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 19:57:17 (permalink)
Cage Rage was a disgrace.
greenfrog
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 21:04:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Keeno

they had some good fighters just marketed themselves in a bad way more like a streetfight trying to appear as barbaric as possible and stuff unlike the UFC which markets itself as a sport.
MikeyPat
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/20 22:10:14 (permalink)
Herring is out of UFC 99 and Kongo is stepping in to face Cain Velasquez. Big fight.
Mulla
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 10:49:22 (permalink)

I dunno man, like greenfrog said, they marketed themselves pretty badly with the whole cockney gangster image, but when you look past that they had some sick fights and cards. CR14 was a heavy card...Vitor Belfort, Lindland, Anderson Silva, Paul Daley, JZ Calvacante etc etc

Not to mention they also had guys like Shaolin, Jean Silva, Luiz Azeredo, Cyborg, Antonio Silva, Travis Lutter, Pele, Bisping, Masakazu Iminari, Professor X, Lee Murray etc etc

They also harvested a lot of solid UK fighters like Daley, Robbie Olivier, Brad Pickett, Rob Broughton, Mus Al-Turk etc etc

All went downhill when they partnered with Pro Elite imo.
mowglee
  • Total Posts : 5531
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 11:57:41 (permalink)
cage rage was ok but like you say it gives a bad image. even the name lol. the ring announcer as well is the most jarring bloke ever. the new webstie looks pretty much the same with a different bait un unique name.

what other events are there in this country that are big?

also anyone remmebr the hench bloke from essex in cage rage. was something like 7ft tall and hench. sparked everyone. videos>? info?
Mulla
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 15:08:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mowglee
what other events are there in this country that are big?

CR was definitely the biggest in its heyday. Now they've rebranded, Id say the biggest is Cage Warriors (although I heard thats finished?) or Cage Gladiators. Both are wicked smaller level shows and often act as feeder promotions for bigger shows like UFC, Strikeforce, Dream, Sengoku etc etc Guys like Dan Hardy, Paul Daley, Antonio Silva, Martin Kampmann etc all fought for CW before going onto bigger things, then you've got guys like Terry Etim, Stefan Struve and Ronnie Mann who fought for CG before getting signed by bigger shows

also anyone remmebr the hench bloke from essex in cage rage. was something like 7ft tall and hench. sparked everyone. videos>? info?

Neil Grove. Got signed by the UFC at the start of the year but got heel-hooked by Mike C (who's really a light heavyweight) in about a minute at UFC95. Not sure if they've since dropped him or not.
mowglee
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 15:16:09 (permalink)
As good as it is to ( possibly ) see Fedor fight

would love to see him fight. gettin pile drived on his neck to jump up and beat someone down is sick. is he fighting soon?

yeah neil grove, any vids of his fights? im sure technical guys could end him tho.

just watching that presenter again makes me cringe. in cr. i have to mute it everytime.
Mulla
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 15:35:11 (permalink)

yeah neil grove, any vids of his fights? im sure technical guys could end him tho.

just watching that presenter again makes me cringe. in cr. i have to mute it everytime.

vs James Thompson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcR0F128X8

One of his fights from a smaller show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRdlPucUbWQ

You're right that CR announcer was probably the most annoying person ever. Was so much better when they got Ian Freeman to do it.
mowglee
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 16:08:37 (permalink)
lol seen that before. thompson gets ended hard.

im sure that bloke single handidly put people off compared to buffer in ufc. plus the name. plus the dingy ring etc... plus the cheap tacky intros. only benefit good usp for me was big fights when everyone stood up near the cage eg murray silva. thats what they should promote.although what i just said does contrast itself.
MikeyPat
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 18:11:37 (permalink)

I dunno man, like greenfrog said, they marketed themselves pretty badly with the whole cockney gangster image, but when you look past that they had some sick fights and cards. CR14 was a heavy card...Vitor Belfort, Lindland, Anderson Silva, Paul Daley, JZ Calvacante etc etc

Not to mention they also had guys like Shaolin, Jean Silva, Luiz Azeredo, Cyborg, Antonio Silva, Travis Lutter, Pele, Bisping, Masakazu Iminari, Professor X, Lee Murray etc etc

They also harvested a lot of solid UK fighters like Daley, Robbie Olivier, Brad Pickett, Rob Broughton, Mus Al-Turk etc etc

I know mate, I've watched enough CR to know they had good fights. It's the image they were putting out there that you have described that I always hated, and it was all wrong for MMA. I appreciate in this country it is what will get the most viewings in the short term, but that doesn't mean I will like it. Thank fuck the UFC soon realised that a legit sport image would take them to the next level, rather than the 2 fat cunts in a cage battering each other until one doesnt move anymore.

The fact that the owners ruined any broadcast with their massively irritating dribble was enough to show they had it all wrong, not to mention the fucking announcer.

When Baroni got headbutted by some wankstein in a pink jumper, in the cage, I was convinced I could do a better job of promoting an MMA event in this country.

Anyway, UFC Undisputed is out tomorrow, who's on it? Haven't got a console online where I'm living at the moment, but have PS3 back home that I'll be online with in a couple of weeks. Mulla you're first to get knocked out if you're on this lol
DJ_H20
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 18:15:56 (permalink)

I know mate, I've watched enough CR to know they had good fights. It's the image they were putting out there that you have described that I always hated, and it was all wrong for MMA. I appreciate in this country it is what will get the most viewings in the short term, but that doesn't mean I will like it. Thank fuck the UFC soon realised that a legit sport image would take them to the next level, rather than the 2 fat cunts in a cage battering each other until one doesnt move anymore.

The fact that the owners ruined any broadcast with their massively irritating dribble was enough to show they had it all wrong, not to mention the fucking announcer.

When Baroni got headbutted by some wankstein in a pink jumper, in the cage, I was convinced I could do a better job of promoting an MMA event in this country.

Anyway, UFC Undisputed is out tomorrow, who's on it? Haven't got a console online where I'm living at the moment, but have PS3 back home that I'll be online with in a couple of weeks. Mulla you're first to get knocked out if you're on this lol

me.
Jutt
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 18:47:46 (permalink)
Well on the UFC Undsisputed tommorow.
Seems like it will be quite a technical game though and will probably dominate my weekend of staying in
Neil Grove got tapped in his UFC debut , not sure if he's gonna be back fighting for the promotion again.

MikeyPat
RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2009/05/21 19:05:43 (permalink)
Yeah Grove got subbed at 95.

Game looks good, no southpaws though.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 142
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0