Helpful ReplyHot!UFC / MMA Thread -

Page: << < ..146147148 Showing page 148 of 148
Author
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1648
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 12:10:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mulla 2018/10/12 14:45:49
Mulla
Stamina MC

I feel the Diaz fight is a better call than a Khabib rematch purely from his perspective, since he squeaked that win in the second pairing versus getting finished in the first one. Another loss to Khabib, within whatever timeframe, makes short-term money but is in no way compelling viewing, and does more damage to Conor's brand than anything else anyone could suggest. Worse than Holloway-Aldo, worse than Dillashaw-Garbrandt, worse than Namajunas-Jedrzejczyk... because he definitely loses again, just as they did.

Yep. Ariel Helwani pointed out an interesting stat on his show recently that out of all the immediate championship rematches since Belfort/Couture III, the result of the rematch was exactly the same as the first fight. 

They need to stop with the immediate rematches unless it was a really close fight. When they do an immediate rematch and it's the same result, it leaves the losing fighter with nowhere to go unless the title changes hands. It would be much better to let the losing fighter have to win a few matches and then really build the rematch.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1648
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 12:11:22 (permalink)
Got to laugh at Conor saying: "It's just business" after getting his face smashed in
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33499
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 12:11:54 (permalink)
Also, they've both been suspended.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/mixed-martial-arts/45834962

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have been temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) pending a full investigation into the scenes that marred the end of Sunday's UFC lightweight fight in Las Vegas.

Following his victory, Nurmagomedov jumped the octagon fence and fighting his rival's team.

McGregor then fought with the Russian's camp as numerous brawls broke out.

The NSAC, which sanctioned the bout, withheld Nurmagomedov's fight purse.

A hearing is expected to be held at the end of the month and the NSAC can impose a fine and ban.

If the NSAC imposes a ban, other athletic commissions are likely to follow suit.

The UFC can decide whether to strip Nurmagomedov of his belt, but president Dana White has already said the Russian will keep his title.

Nurmagomedov claimed his win after making McGregor tap out in the fourth round, with the Irishman having since been suspended for a month on medical grounds.

Members of Nurmagomedov's team were also involved in a brawl with McGregor in the octagon after the Russian had vaulted the cage fence.

Three of his party were arrested but later released, with McGregor refusing to press charges.

Nurmagomedov apologised following the incident but cited pre-fight comments in which McGregor "talked about my religion, talked about my country, talked about my father".

Cybotron
  • Total Posts : 931
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 19:55:07 (permalink)
OEM

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov have been temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) pending a full investigation into the scenes that marred the end of Sunday's UFC lightweight fight in Las Vegas.

Following his victory, Nurmagomedov jumped the octagon fence and fighting his rival's team.

A hearing is expected to be held at the end of the month and the NSAC can impose a fine and ban.

If the NSAC imposes a ban, other athletic commissions are likely to follow suit.

The UFC can decide whether to strip Nurmagomedov of his belt, but president Dana White has already said the Russian will keep his title.

Nurmagomedov claimed his win after making McGregor tap out in the fourth round, with the Irishman having since been suspended for a month on medical grounds.

Members of Nurmagomedov's team were also involved in a brawl with McGregor in the octagon after the Russian had vaulted the cage fence.

Three of his party were arrested but later released, with McGregor refusing to press charges.

Nurmagomedov apologised following the incident but cited pre-fight comments in which McGregor "talked about my religion, talked about my country, talked about my father".

Hype central

Apart from the outcome of the fight (maybe), it's all been meticulously planned

I would rather our attention was on the clusterfuck called Brexit tbh

JAWA
  • Total Posts : 2672
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 21:11:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mulla 2018/10/15 11:12:37
Cybotron
OEM

Hype central

Please stop.
JAWA
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 21:15:32 (permalink)
Stamina MC
JAWA

Would be good, but from a business perspective it makes no sense. If there is any chance of a khabib v conor rematch they're going to take it. And if conor loses another fight (which is a big risk against diaz), then I think people's interest in him will start to drop off.

Nobody knows how much of a 'risk' it really is, IMO. This weekend gone was always sold as being 'the worst possible style match-up for Conor', and precisely why he took it, apparently; were he to now start cherry-picking opponents right after being so handily defeated that'd hurt his brand in a way perhaps comparable to an actual combat loss, IMO.

I feel the Diaz fight is a better call than a Khabib rematch purely from his perspective, since he squeaked that win in the second pairing versus getting finished in the first one. Another loss to Khabib, within whatever timeframe, makes short-term money but is in no way compelling viewing, and does more damage to Conor's brand than anything else anyone could suggest. Worse than Holloway-Aldo, worse than Dillashaw-Garbrandt, worse than Namajunas-Jedrzejczyk... because he definitely loses again, just as they did.

I agree with you in part. He does have a better shot.

But I guess I was viewing it from a perspective of how can Conor make the most bank. And that is clearly the khabib fight. The diaz fight is a risk cos in my opinion if he loses then its just as bad for his brand as the other guys you mention, but with a lesser pay off.
Stamina MC
  • Total Posts : 17282
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 22:10:53 (permalink)
I hear you. But he's got more of a chance to win the Diaz fight, and therefore prolong his high-earning capability. He's not beating Khabib, no matter how long between attempts. 'Double or quits' is really not what he should be thinking to do with his life! :)
Stamina MC
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/12 22:15:22 (permalink)
Domino

Also.. Khabib needs to stop acting like a victim.

Dunno what you've heard that managed to give you that impression of him... the message I've been picking up is "why are people talking like I'm the only one that did something wrong?", which is a fair question. Selective outrage is high AF about all this, and there's really no need.
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21522
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 07:09:10 (permalink)
Because 2 wrongs don't make a right and why are people going to be talking about the bus thing now? It was ages ago... And at the time, McGregor was widely criticised and was even facing criminal charges. Other than that he trash talked in the build up.. Who doesn't? 

I don't think Khabib is being treated unfairly for what he did. He steamed into the crowd like a barbarian while his pals ran amok and he is rightly being condemned for it... So you can't have a press conference saying "what about him" because In that particular situation, McGregor did nothing wrong so shouldn't really be punished imo. Khabib likes to bang on about "honour"... The honourable thing would have been to beat McGregor and leave it at that... Now the focus has been taken away from the dominant performance he put in and all the talk is about fines, suspensions and finger pointing
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13116
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 14:30:06 (permalink)
Domino
Because 2 wrongs don't make a right and why are people going to be talking about the bus thing now? It was ages ago... And at the time, McGregor was widely criticised and was even facing criminal charges. Other than that he trash talked in the build up.. Who doesn't? 

I don't think Khabib is being treated unfairly for what he did. He steamed into the crowd like a barbarian while his pals ran amok and he is rightly being condemned for it... So you can't have a press conference saying "what about him" because In that particular situation, McGregor did nothing wrong so shouldn't really be punished imo. Khabib likes to bang on about "honour"... The honourable thing would have been to beat McGregor and leave it at that... Now the focus has been taken away from the dominant performance he put in and all the talk is about fines, suspensions and finger pointing

Agreed. If you’re going to go scorched earth then own it, don’t go whataboutery and start talking about “honour” and “cleaning up the sport”.

I didn’t see anything McGregor said about his religion or country either unless offering someone a glass of whisky counts. Khabib also talked about McGregor’s father. Good fighter, thick caveman.
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 96217
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 16:55:51 (permalink)
Cybotron
OEM

Hype central

Lol what a twat
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1804
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 16:56:14 (permalink)
he's on about coach kav with the religious thing after he made a tongue in cheek comment and khabib being to dim to reason with

https://twitter.com/john_kavanagh/status/721504547156463616?lang=en

JK: “Jesus loves knockouts but Mohammed wasn’t a fan of summertime MMA? – Choose your religion wisely young fighters!”
KN: “You can’t joking about religion, be careful. #thisisnotshow.”
JK: “Why not? We should be allowed, without threat of violence, have fun with all aspects of life #onelove.”
KN: “I don’t think so, and I hope you will never mix religion and joke, be serious.”
JK: “Ok we’ll agree to disagree- congrats on your latest victory and I wish you well in the future #LaVieEstBelle.”
JAWA
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:25:16 (permalink)
There's other stuff... Danis apparently called him a Muslim rat during the fight, Mcgregor also called him a backwards cunt for saying he wasn't going to drink his whisky. Kind of want them to move on now and just find a fight for either one of them.
RAYZA
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:29:01 (permalink)
JAWA
There's other stuff... Danis apparently called him a Muslim rat during the fight, Mcgregor also called him a backwards cunt for saying he wasn't going to drink his whisky. Kind of want them to move on now and just find a fight for either one of them.

Not drinking booze because he worships a dead diddler does make him a backwards cunt tbf.
RAYZA
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:31:15 (permalink)
Arcadian
he's on about coach kav with the religious thing after he made a tongue in cheek comment and khabib being to dim to reason with

JK: “Jesus loves knockouts but Mohammed wasn’t a fan of summertime MMA? – Choose your religion wisely young fighters!”
JK: “Why not? We should be allowed, without threat of violence, have fun with all aspects of life #onelove.”
KN: “I don’t think so, and I hope you will never mix religion and joke, be serious.”
JK: “Ok we’ll agree to disagree- congrats on your latest victory and I wish you well in the future #LaVieEstBelle.”

Lol what a prick. Nothing is off limits when it comes to comedy, not least religion, its top of the list of things that deserve to be mocked.
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1804
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:36:34 (permalink)
JAWA

that muslim rat stuff is complete nonsense. coach kav as said he didn't say it and hes not the type that would stand by if he did. not a single microphone or camera picked it up. he goaded them sure like every corner ever does.

agreed the sniping got tiresome real quick. theres so much more focus on mma cos of conor these days stupid little things get so much more attention for longer
SW14
  • Total Posts : 13116
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:43:40 (permalink)
Arcadian

Oh the humanity!

He received loads of death threats over those light hearted comments as well.

Offering someone a glass of whiskey is not insulting a religion. Are the ring girls insulting Khabib’s religion, walking round scantily clad?

Anyone who wrestles bears in the Dagestani foothills is a backwards cunt.
Stamina MC
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/13 19:54:42 (permalink)
Domino

The amount of typing I'd (probably) need to do for you to get what I'm saying is also probably not worth the effort for either of us, so I'm not gonna. Kinda surprised this is your take on it, though. Ah well.
jd8
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/14 14:47:28 (permalink)
https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/ufc/news/19828/11525872/khabib-nurmagomedov-wants-to-fight-floyd-mayweather
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4782
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/15 11:16:09 (permalink)
SW14
Domino

Agreed. If you’re going to go scorched earth then own it, don’t go whataboutery and start talking about “honour” and “cleaning up the sport”.

I didn’t see anything McGregor said about his religion or country either unless offering someone a glass of whisky counts. Khabib also talked about McGregor’s father. Good fighter, thick caveman.

He said quite a lot about Dagestanis being pussies who got ran out of their homes by Chechan warriors etc. 

I agree he didn't say anything about islam though. I think people heard him calling Ali a terrorist snitch and just assumed he called him that because of his ethnicity, without realising he was actually telling the truth. 
post edited by Mulla - 2018/10/15 11:19:34
Mulla
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/15 11:42:58 (permalink)
Anyone following the Bellator HW grand prix? Bader and Fedor both through to the finals. I could honestly see Bader winning that...which is something I never thought I'd say. If he can survive the hellfire Fedor will throw at him in the first round, he'll take a massively one sided decision or TKO stoppage I reckon. 

Great to see Sergei win too. He was always one of my favourites from the old Pride days. His win over Ninja is one of my favourite fights ever. His boxing and grappling were so good back then. He's been a shell of himself since the shoulder injury back in '06 or whenever it was, but still manages to get it down every so often. Looks like it'll be him versus Minakov in the new year 
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2324
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/16 07:15:19 (permalink)
How old is fedor now? He still looks like he could fuck up any heavyweight going. 
Mulla
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/16 10:53:00 (permalink)
Gotta be early to mid 40s I reckon. HW is an old division though, think the average age is something like 35. 
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 21522
Re: RE: UFC / MMA Thread 2018/10/16 13:51:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mulla 2018/10/16 14:25:31
Mulla

Great to see Sergei win too. He was always one of my favourites from the old Pride days. His win over Ninja is one of my favourite fights ever. His boxing and grappling were so good back then. He's been a shell of himself since the shoulder injury back in '06 or whenever it was, but still manages to get it down every so often. Looks like it'll be him versus Minakov in the new year 

Yeah, legend .. Love the old Pride days. Just thought he was fodder when he first arrived until he battered Ninja.. He was fucking granite

God I love Pride
Page: << < ..146147148 Showing page 148 of 148
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0