Helpful ReplyHot!What book are you reading atm?

Page: << < ..8687 > Showing page 86 of 87
Author
clark grizwald
  • Total Posts : 4514
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/10 15:35:47 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker
gavinx
just started the new patrick dewitt called Undermajordomo Minor. fantastic so far.

Great read that. Love everything I've read of his.

Just finished this the other day. Loved it. The writing style is brilliant and it was hilarious in parts. Easily my favourite of his books.

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 8974
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 20:22:54 (permalink)
Just finished this. Very bleak obvs but really interesting

Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 2511
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 20:35:06 (permalink)

dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4543
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 20:44:30 (permalink)

Read these while I was away on holiday. 

Fight Club is actually fucking wicked and they really did make such a great film for it. Quick, snappy, dark, funny - just a great book. Norwegian Wood was amazing - really loved that. Coin Locker Babies is weirdly brilliant, quite surreal. Axeman's Jazz top notch as well - I think you guys would like that.
wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 20:48:33 (permalink)
dazdsb

Fight Club is actually fucking wicked and they really did make such a great film for it. Quick, snappy, dark, funny - just a great book. Norwegian Wood was amazing - really loved that. Coin Locker Babies is weirdly brilliant, quite surreal. Axeman's Jazz top notch as well - I think you guys would like that.

Is it worth reading if I have seen the film about 20 times?
dazdsb
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 20:58:17 (permalink)
wakeytom

Is it worth reading if I have seen the film about 20 times?

Yes, definitely - I got through it in a day and loved it. 
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3448
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 21:06:00 (permalink)
Rudiger01

read that a while back, decent!

dazdsb

norwegian wood - talk to me. read the 1Q84 trilogy of his earlier this year and really enjoyed it. would like to give some more of his stuff a go...quick review/synopsis etc??
dazdsb
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 21:19:47 (permalink)
fonik
norwegian wood - talk to me. read the 1Q84 trilogy of his earlier this year and really enjoyed it. would like to give some more of his stuff a go...quick review/synopsis etc??

ez man.

The first book of his I read was 'Wind-up Bird Chronicles' and that was great. As you probably know most of his work is very dreamy, surreal kind of stuff. Norwegian Wood was the book that blew him up massively; a much simpler coming of age story about a boy who has two very different relationships with two very different women. I couldn't put it down and found myself thinking about it for quite a while after finishing it. 

Personally, I love his writing and I'm just going to read a few other things before going for another. Was IQ84 good? I might try another of his shorter ones first. But yeah, big fan! I'd recommend Norwegian Wood to anyone, really. 
Booberella
  • Total Posts : 12425
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/22 22:52:40 (permalink)

fonik
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/23 08:39:24 (permalink)
dazdsb
fonik

ez man.

The first book of his I read was 'Wind-up Bird Chronicles' and that was great. As you probably know most of his work is very dreamy, surreal kind of stuff. Norwegian Wood was the book that blew him up massively; a much simpler coming of age story about a boy who has two very different relationships with two very different women. I couldn't put it down and found myself thinking about it for quite a while after finishing it. 

Personally, I love his writing and I'm just going to read a few other things before going for another. Was IQ84 good? I might try another of his shorter ones first. But yeah, big fan! I'd recommend Norwegian Wood to anyone, really. 

nice one cheers. will stick it on the list once ive finished papillon. 1Q84 is great yeah, weird but wonderfully imaginative story. def worth a read!
dazdsb
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/23 14:47:17 (permalink)
fonik
nice one cheers. will stick it on the list once ive finished papillon. 1Q84 is great yeah, weird but wonderfully imaginative story. def worth a read!

Cool, I'll aim to check 1Q84 out soon then. Also, if you like Japanese authors then I really highly recommend Ryu Murakami. I'd first recommend his short thriller 'In the Miso Soup' and then if you enjoy that 'Coin Locker Babies' is a really good read.
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4555
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/24 11:26:25 (permalink)

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 8974
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/28 14:12:48 (permalink)
Any of you Dark Tower nerds seen the film yet? Reviews sound pretty shocking
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 2511
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/08/28 15:30:46 (permalink)

gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6726
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/06 11:15:17 (permalink)
getting a stephen king hit at the moment with one of his earliest books called The Long Walk. it's only short, and deceptively straight-forward (like all his best stuff), but i'm really enjoying it so far. would make a good film.

and no to the dark tower film. i'll catch it on tv at some point i'm sure out of morbid curiosity. shame they didn't just go the tv route with it from the outset.
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4555
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/06 15:03:59 (permalink)
gavinx
getting a stephen king hit at the moment with one of his earliest books called The Long Walk. it's only short, and deceptively straight-forward (like all his best stuff), but i'm really enjoying it so far. would make a good film.

and no to the dark tower film. i'll catch it on tv at some point i'm sure out of morbid curiosity. shame they didn't just go the tv route with it from the outset.

Where did you find that mate? I used to have it in The Bachman Books, which is a compilation of stories he did under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, but I thought it was really hard to find now? No idea what happened to my old copy. Pretty sure it had The Running Man in there too. 

But yeah, it's an incredible book. 
gavinx
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/06 15:29:43 (permalink)
yeah, it was under the bachman alias originally... i'll be honest, i got a bootleg pdf, but you can get 'the bachman books' collection digitally through amazon

prepare to feel sick: he wrote it when he was just 18. talented fucker.

send me a pm if you want me to email you the pdf mate!
post edited by gavinx - 2017/09/07 08:18:25
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 15730
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/06 15:34:23 (permalink)
Send it to me please Gav!

Geeking out and working my way through the Harry Potter's here.
gavinx
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/07 10:15:47 (permalink)
Joey Gunz

should be with you now bro! 
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 1054
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/07 12:24:47 (permalink)
gavinx
Joey Gunz

should be with you now bro! 

Might be the worst conversation I've ever read on here.
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 15730
Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2708
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/08 11:41:22 (permalink)
Im reading IT

It's ridiculously long.
gavinx
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/13 13:38:13 (permalink)
something for stephen king fans. A nice (old) series in the guardian where his most famous books are revisited... some interesting short essays https://www.theguardian.com/books/series/rereading-stephen-king 
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31750
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/13 16:05:25 (permalink)
Jon Simpson - We chose to speak of war and strife
tuffers.ro
  • Total Posts : 1562
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 02:40:30 (permalink)
Just posted this in the thread for the film but thought it should go in here too -

Just read the Catch Me If You Can book for the 2nd time. It really is fascinating, I'd actually say the movie underestimated what this guy actually did. He has a nice style of writing, and a good sense of humour in it too. I enjoy the book a lot more than the film.. He is a God among men in my eyes. Absolutely fascinating the stuff he pulled off. The part in the film where he shows up at a college campus to pick a bunch of girls to pose as air hostesses is a great story he goes into. He's an escape artist as well and the ideas he came up with are incredible.

Would really recommend reading this one, it's pretty short and I couldn't put it down, finished it in under a week. He is a mack daddy as well, cleaned up with all the air hostesses dotted around the country, meeting their families and making these girls think he was going to marry them.

10/10 read for me

Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24808
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 11:15:00 (permalink)
4321 by Paul Auster. Shortlisted for the Booker prize. Its absolutely huge , like a brick. Hope i manage to get through it
Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24808
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 11:15:05 (permalink)
4321 by Paul Auster. Shortlisted for the Booker prize. Its absolutely huge , like a brick. Hope i manage to get through it
badder2
  • Total Posts : 1768
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 11:29:01 (permalink)

gavinx
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 13:59:40 (permalink)
Miss SD

i've had Book of Illusions by him for years but it's just sat on the shelf... anyone read it?
fonik
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/09/20 14:23:42 (permalink)
^ yes. cant remember what it's about now tbh but ive enjoyed everyting of his ive ever read. probably my favourite author

@ miss sd - report back! saw this was out now, need to check it out

Page: << < ..8687 > Showing page 86 of 87
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0