Helpful ReplyHot!What book are you reading atm?

Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 83 of 88
Author
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 7051
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 14:10:35 (permalink)
good shout. i'd like to do that one day. such a good book... shame they aren't doing a proper adaptation
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4532
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 14:19:34 (permalink)
simon.r

About to start George Orwell's Homage to Catalonia.

Properly good, that. It's maybe my favourite thing of his that I've read. The political situation in Barcelona when its briefly a mini anarchist state is fascinating. His writing style is so simple and clear as well.
Whagwan
  • Total Posts : 22634
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 14:28:50 (permalink)
I read that last time I was in Barcelona so was very appropriate...
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9081
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 17:40:50 (permalink)
Just finished this. It was alright.

Just about to start this. Looks alright

fonik
  • Total Posts : 3594
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 19:27:11 (permalink)
DJModus
simon.r

Properly good, that. It's maybe my favourite thing of his that I've read. The political situation in Barcelona when its briefly a mini anarchist state is fascinating. His writing style is so simple and clear as well.

nothing can beat 'down and out in Paris and London' for me. such a great book. will have to give this a go
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4866
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/01/24 20:38:45 (permalink)
I've read Down & Out, 1984 and Animal Farm. Probably enjoyed Down and Out the most. Been meaning to slowly work my way through most of his stuff as it's overshadowed by his two dystopian novels.

Been vaguely interested in the Spanish civil war/POUM since watching Land and Freedom a few months ago.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 9934
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/02 16:51:36 (permalink)
I need to start reading more and buying less but I can't help it. 
_Modus_
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/03 10:09:50 (permalink)
fonik
DJModus
simon.r

nothing can beat 'down and out in Paris and London' for me. such a great book. will have to give this a go

I loved that as well, but at times it felt a bit strange reading about him in this squalid situations. A little bit like poverty tourism or some such. I got the impression he could have stepped out of that world a little easier than those he was writing about. Still a brilliant read though.

It also made me extremely proud to have once been a potwasher in a restaurant kitchen. He makes it sound like such a romantic profession.
_Modus_
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/03 10:11:14 (permalink)
simon.r

Been vaguely interested in the Spanish civil war/POUM since watching Land and Freedom a few months ago.

Read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" for a seriously good Spanish Civil War novel. So good.
dotarr
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/03 10:15:03 (permalink)
Will do mate. Will have finished homage by the time I get home tonight.

I was also a potwash lol.
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9081
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/03 10:22:05 (permalink)
DJModus
simon.r

Read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" for a seriously good Spanish Civil War novel. So good.

+1. That book is very nang.

This Kolyma Tales book is so bleak but the writing is saux gud

Cold, hunger, and sleeplessness rendered any friendship impossible, and Dugaev – despite his youth – understood the falseness of the belief that friendship could be tempered by misery and tragedy. For friendship to be friendship, its foundation had to be laid before living conditions reached that last border beyond which no human emotion was left to a man – only mistrust, rage, and lies. Dugaev remembered well the northern proverb that listed the three commandments of prison life: ‘Don’t believe, don’t fear, don’t ask.

fonik
  • Total Posts : 3594
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/07 09:49:59 (permalink)
finished crime and punishment, extremely good as expected and as others said. a little tricky keeping up at times, it's quite a 'dense' story if that makes sense, and the fact dostoyevsky changes between the characters' nicknames + formal names at random (it seemed to me)

still, a great story, wonderfully written. i suppose these days raskolnikov would be diagnosed with depression? the feelings of inadequacy, confusion, not knowing his place in the world etc? not that ive ever murdered anyone but some of the descriptions of his feelings in the days after i can relate to in terms of the depression (not wanting to get to deep here) which added another layer to my appreciation of the story/writing. given the heavy nature of the whole thing, the last page or so was amazingly uplifting i thought as well.

bought another dostoyevsky ('the idiot') about half way into c&p as was enjoying it so much. going to read a couple of lighter/easier things first though before i tackle it, it's even thicker than c&p :S. going to do 'the ministry of fear' by graham greene first as enjoyed 'our man in havana' recently
gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21765
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/07 10:31:42 (permalink)

Whagwan
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 10:38:30 (permalink)
Currently reading Raw Spirit by Iain Banks.  Having read all his fiction books multiple times and being a fan to the point I cried when he died (homo) I'm amazed I haven't read it before.

His discussions of the 2nd gulf war and America makes me almost glad for him that he doesn't have to live the world we are in now, but also so sad I can't escape into anything new from him.
_Nearly 50 FFS_
  • Total Posts : 15231
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 11:34:58 (permalink)
This - basically an alternative history/steampunk thing set in the mid 1800's, classy:

Been on a William Gibson binge recently, just finished all three of the 'Bridge Trilogy' b2b... 'Virtual Light', 'Idoru', All Tomorrows Parties' - all worth a rinse - set in a near future San Francisco/Tokyo, with overlapping characters in all three.

Whagwan
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 12:01:30 (permalink)
Gibson is immense, one of my top three. 

The bridge trilogy is probably my favourite, but he's all good.

The imagery that goes with his lack of exposition is beautiful, I tend not to get caught up in prose as I scan read and am more plot lead, but I savour every word of a Gibson book.

For this taken to its extreme check out this short story. No plot, no characters, just pure Gibson imagery.

http://tinyletter.com/doc...ws-of-a-cardboard-city
dotarr
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 12:21:12 (permalink)
I kind of prefer Neal Stevenson. I kind of like how he describes some of the futuristic stuff in reasonably simple scientific ways that make them seem plausible. I always found Gibson a little awkward at times because he gives things names like 'simstim' and never really describes what they do, or if he does I forget and there's loads of them and I get them mixed up.

That's not to say I don't like Gibson though, I do.

Also I'm only going by Snow Crash and The Diamond Age; I hear Stevenson properly disappeared up his arse at some point.
post edited by simon.r - 2017/02/08 12:23:57
Whagwan
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 12:26:03 (permalink)
Stephenson is the other one out of my top three of Banks, Gibson and him.

Read the Baroque Trilogy, absolutely amazing (takes a couple of hundred pages to get into but you will be hooked.)
dotarr
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 12:31:20 (permalink)
I'll add it to my reading list, cheers.
_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 12:32:23 (permalink)

Part of the buzz of Gibson is the short, clipped sentences, heavily descriptive, full of new/made up words that don't make sense - you have to give it time to lock in - once you're locked you're there imo. Neuromancer took me about three goes before I finished it last year.

Once I've done 'The Difference Engine' I'm doing 'Count Zero' then 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' - parts 2 & 3 of the Sprawl trilogy - the first one being 'Neuromancer' of course.

Interesting reading a 'joint' book now, not sure how they divide up who wrote what - but you can tell Gibson's style I think.
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 1142
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 13:19:19 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme

On first glance I misread that as 'Rave Darkies'

Going through Jeanette Winterson's bibliography - her writing is outstanding.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 7051
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 14:45:14 (permalink)
Snow Crash and Neuromancer are both unreal

inspired so much music, art, tv, film, literature, architecture, etc over the last 30 years
Whagwan
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 14:55:03 (permalink)
Bigend trilogy is great too, where our world grew into Gibson's future...
_Nearly 50 FFS_
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 16:05:14 (permalink)
MalcolmTucker

On first glance I misread that as 'Rave Darkies'

I saw 'Rave Dairies', probably nearer the mark... ravers getting milked etc...

wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2370
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 23:22:54 (permalink)
gutlessrhyme

Just finished it myself and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, would recommend
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 9934
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 23:43:22 (permalink)
The dice man worth getting in to? First few pages have felt a chore, might not be clicking with the writers style
wakeytom
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/08 23:46:07 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
The dice man worth getting in to? First few pages have felt a chore, might not be clicking with the writers style

I read about 100 pages and gave up. Loved the idea but it's very dated and became very predictable
MalcolmTucker
  • Total Posts : 1142
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/09 00:50:39 (permalink)
wakeytom
JUDGEDREDD

I read about 100 pages and gave up. Loved the idea but it's very dated and became very predictable

Yep. The blurb was better than the book.
Geordie007
  • Total Posts : 19710
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/09 10:48:35 (permalink)
I enjoyed them both though did read them years ago. Was thinking of giving them a go again
wakeytom
Re: RE: What book are you reading atm? 2017/02/09 14:25:37 (permalink)
Either this 

Or this next for me 
post edited by wakeytom - 2017/02/09 14:26:43
Page: << < ..8182838485.. > >> Showing page 83 of 88
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0