Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 489
Author
.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 09:41:46 (permalink)
There Will Be Blood

I reckon 2007 was a seriously good year for 21st century westerns, first 'The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford' which seemed to have a dig at the cult of celebrity and the building up of myths that end up enduring even if they end up being false, and now this. I just need to see 'No Country For Old Men' and I'll be sorted.

I had one of those 'What the fuck?' moments watching this film. I'm sure everyone has had at least one of them in their lifetime watching a film. Its been a long time where a film has held me in such a way for two and a half hours and I've had no idea in which direction it was going at all to then literally smack me with such a hugely jarring and abrupt ending that pretty much left not much answered and everything else open leaving me to literally shout 'What the fuck?' at the screen. I'll admit I didn't get the film when I was watching it, I probably still don't as I think back and try to half tie together anything worth mentioning into this stupid write up. I was in a battle between the film and my laptop half the time so my full attention probably wasn't involved enough to take in everything I should have. I'm going to give it a go anyway, bare with me

The film's title is correct I guess in the fact that there will indeed be blood and that there is indeed a lot of blood throughout the film though it's not necessarily the red sticky stuff you get if you poke yourself too hard with something sharp and then they have to rush you to casualty because you were playing with knives and the fact you're a dickhead who is now bleeding profusely and shouldn't  have been doing that in the first place. There Will be Blood is based on a novel called 'Oil!' by Upton Sinclair (never read it). The film is based on oil and the stuff circulates throughout the whole film where everything in the film breathes and exists on it in one way or another, from the story itself to the characters involved. The oil is what drives everything in the film and also acts as a symbol to the film's overflowing tension and imminent doom. The film sees Daniel Plainview played by Daniel Day-Lewis go from being a silver prospector to chasing oil after seeing the bigger benefits of it. He travels to a small town on the advice of Paul Sunday played by Paul Dano (that lad in Little Miss Sunshine who doesn't say anything). Here he meets Eli Sunday, Paul's twin (coincidently also played by Paul Dano, imagine that). From there on everything starts colliding and is basically all you need to know regarding a summary of the story

To get his quickly out the way there were two things that massively stood out for me in this film that pretty much elevated it from what on paper could've been a two and a half hour lesson on how to be bored. Let's get the most obvious out the way first and mention Daniel Day-Lewis who just seems unable to produce any rubbish performances. He's proven he can elevate even the most shittest of films to something watchable (Gangs Of New York anyone?) and in this I can honestly say his performance is absolutely brilliant and is basically what makes watching the whole film worth it in the first place. He is basically the centre of the film, and watching someone literally engulf the screen with such presence and towering above the film as everything else going on surrounds him in one way or another is just captivating. You can't help getting sucked into his character whenever he's on screen.
The second thing that stood massively for me is the film's score which is almost a character in it's own right. Some people reckon sound alone makes up about a third of a film and here I doubt There Will Be Blood would have been anywhere as enthralling or atmospheric without its score. I remember reading ages ago about the film's score and the fact it was done by Radiohead guitarist Johnny Greenwood. What made it sound interesting was the way he treated scoring the film in the first place, as one website said, as if he was 'playing classical music like it was a guitar'. Case in point, the first fifteen minutes of the film had absolutely zero dialogue at all. We see people digging for oil, they hit an oil well and the whole thing goes up on them leaving one man dead and another that survives. In theory we should be bored and if this was the cinema you should be walking out by now, but the fact everything on the screen is so domineering from the cinematography to the film's music score which does the opposite of what a film score is expected to do and stands out way beyond its confines. The score is for the majority of the time is so harsh and discordant you had no choice but to acknowledge it as being another character on the screen summing up the moods of the characters. It reflected the destruction and evil on screen with the sheer abrasiveness and absolute lack of melody of it which shouldn't of worked but in its execution makes sense

I need to think of something about this film, like what I thought the film was about even if I am admittedly a little unsure about it. Personally I saw the film as a massive conflict, a battle between religion and capitalism as Plainview pursues The American Dream at the turn of the century. That time in western history and culture where the Enlightenment was already well under way and with modernity going to war against religious thought. We have Daniel Day Lewis's nihilistic, paper driven, megalomaniac character who will quite clearly use and fuck anyone and anything over to make a tidy little profit all for himself. If it's not his relentless pursuit for Black Gold or to groom the kid he successfully orphaned and deafened to later partner and continue his empire then he's clashing against the evangelical church and Eli Sunday who just couldn't turn down the good opportunity to exorcise anyone who he felt 'needed saving'. There Will Be Blood is totally polarized and at odds with its themes, from the film's characters to the film's musical score fighting with the film's cinematography up, to Daniel Day-Lewis against everyone and everything around him. Just like how the oil flows out the earth throughout the film There Will be Blood just oozes atmosphere and darkness from start to finish. It's slow and challenging leaving it up in the air about who will find this film anywhere near enjoyable and who will just be bored to fuck by it. From the dialogue free opening fifteen minutes you are warned something terrible is going to happen and the film's dread builds and spills over right up to its final 'What the fuck?' shock conclusion where religion and capitalism finally collide head in an ending that goes against everything that the film spent a good two and a half hours building up to which may or may not leave you feeling completely pissed off
Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 12:08:10 (permalink)
Nice review, Exit. Have you seen 'Aguirre, Wrath of God'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguirre,_the_Wrath_of_God It's a German film (Dir. Herzog, starring Klaus Kinski) about Spanish conquistadors in the Andes looking for El Dorado. It reminds me in many ways of 'There Will Be Blood' - hypnotic long-takes, mesmeric imagery of landscapes, a towering central performance portraying an insane and monumental figure sacrificing others in the search for glory... And the score, by Popol Vuh, is amazing - not dissonant and uneasy like Johnny Greenwood's, but more substantial a presence in the film than the dialogue. Its imagery inspired Coppola for 'Apocalypse Now', there's some amazing shots in it. I recommend it, anyway.

I want to write a review of 'Eyes Wide Shut' here cos I saw it the other day and it was really fascinating, but I'll save it for after I've watched it again. I'd recommend anybody watching it if they like analysing films... this ( http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0096.html ) piece about it really interests me and I think I agree with a lot of it, I'd watch it without reading that first though because it gives away plot details and will make you watch it with a pre-defined view, which I don't think is ideal.

Kris
  • Total Posts : 16348
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 12:45:47 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:24:00

.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 18:21:20 (permalink)
Never heard of Aguirre, Wrath of God before, going by the Wiki page as well it seems like something worth checking out. Interesting fact about it influencing Coppola as well since Apocalypse Now is one of my favourite films. Wouldn't mind hearing what you thought about Eyes Wide Shut as well considering pretty much everyone hated it at the time it came out. Remember watching it the first time and thinking it wasn't that bad but every time after I watched it I just hated it more
samuraijack
  • Total Posts : 2087
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 19:16:15 (permalink)
Watched a few films this week so here’s my thoughts on some of them.
One Night In Mongkok – Really liked this it’s a darkly minded, slick Hong Kong action film set in Mongkok the cities most densely populated and violent area. The on screen fights, gun fights and chases are superbly done. The film also conveys strong messages about crime and postmodern urban life in subtle ways through the story and the way its shot. It’s a really good watch if you like action/gangster films with a decent story line and don’t mind subtitles. 8/10

Dirty Pretty Things – I watched this after seeing someone recommend it on here, I’d seen it before but had left watching it as I haven’t been to impressed by a lot of urban London British films lately always seem to think they cheesify and try to glamourise aspects they should really be discrediting and mocking. Overall this film wasn’t as bad as most for this though and the overall message was stuck to all the way through. It was slightly cheesy in places and flirted with comedy despite dealing with quite serious fucked up subject matter, in some places this worked in others not so much. 7/10

Raising Arizona – Saw this for second time the other day other getting a Coen Bros box set. Good film, Nicholas Cage on form interesting story and characters, shot really well. If you like odd, funny films and you haven’t seen this then you should. 7.5/10

Paul Blart Mall Cop – Ok so it’s obviously cheesy as fuck and if you expect a lot you’re going to hate it but it made me chuckle quite a lot and if I was stoned I would have been laughing even more. Real easy watch, real easy humour recommend it to anyone cotching back with a bifter, or just in the mood for simple, jokes film.
5.5/10

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button – Despite loads of shit reviews and the obvious Hollywoodness of this film I like the idea of the story so thought I’d give it a go unfortunately the stream was shit and cut out 20min in… so review soon to come and if anyone has a link for a decent stream or torrent PM me it please.

samuraijack
  • Total Posts : 2087
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 19:18:20 (permalink)
Might have to watch Stalker next so a link for that would be appreciated too.

sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15341
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 19:32:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: .Exit

There Will Be Blood

been meaning to watch this for a while, your review has promoted me to order it from love film. It sounds more dark than i thought it would be and i'm intrigued about the ending now. big ups exit

ORIGINAL: Corpsey
Have you seen 'Aguirre, Wrath of God'? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aguirre,_the_Wrath_of_God It's a German film (Dir. Herzog, starring Klaus Kinski) about Spanish conquistadors in the Andes looking for El Dorado.

fucking brilliant film this, Herzog and Kinski is always a winner. There is a good box set of all herzog films with kinski in, well worth getting if you like Aguirre. Herzogs films to good.
Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/25 19:55:13 (permalink)

Never heard of Aguirre, Wrath of God before, going by the Wiki page as well it seems like something worth checking out. Interesting fact about it influencing Coppola as well since Apocalypse Now is one of my favourite films. Wouldn't mind hearing what you thought about Eyes Wide Shut as well considering pretty much everyone hated it at the time it came out. Remember watching it the first time and thinking it wasn't that bad but every time after I watched it I just hated it more

I can see why people hated it, especially as it was apparently hyped up as being full of sex, when actually its almost about people NOT having sex. It also seems absurd and pretentious at times... But what the person argues in that link I posted is that its really sort of a social satire, showing the absurdity and pretentiousness of the wealthy (and the rotten realities lying behind the facade). If you see it in this way a lot of the films faults seem to become artistically deft - for example, a lot of people complained that the film didn't depict New York as it really is. But if you take this guy's view, you might say that its supposed to feel distanced from contemporary reality because that's the world that the superficially cultured wealthy class distance themselves from.

I think it's wise to be wary of theories, especially when they seem to so fly in the face of popular opinion, but the guy points out a lot of things that I didn't notice that do seem to back up his points - things as subtle as the colour of clothes that symbolically paired characters wear. I didn't even consider the fact that Cruise's wife is depicted as grooming herself at home as he works at the office, and things like that. Also, if you consider the explanation that Cruise's boss gives him at the end to be potentially deceitful, and potentially threatening to Cruise, it makes it seem a lot less clunky.

Granted it still has its significant failings - no matter how dream-like the film might supposed to be, it stretches credibilty too far at numerous points. And after all, if its supposed to be a satire on a real set of people in the real world, does it not blunt the satire a little to make it so implausible? Then again, once again if you take the film to be a depiction of a dream-like and immoral mindstate, this is again excused.

Even before I read that article I found the film confusing and haunting and disturbing somehow, and I couldn't put my finger on it. I think it probably rewards rewatching... I'll report back when I do.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 00:41:45 (permalink)
I think Eyes Wide Shut is patchy. I think apart from the 'weed' scene where Nicole Kidman is fucking terrible the first half of it is ok, up to the orgy scene its all good and the orgy scene is good as well (snigger) but after that its fucking dull, really dull. While i can see why it got slated i dont think it deserved such a panning, its not amazing but its in no way the turkey critics made it out to be. I think first time round it is a really good film, you really dont expect whats going to happen and the enigma of it all is mesmorizing, upon repeat viewing you can easily begin picking holes in the story and film making tho
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 03:49:07 (permalink)

'W.'

Watched this last night, and I thought it was very insightful into the world of George W Bush. Provided an insight into the man, and why he did what he did. I always had a little feeling that he was just plain fucking potty, but it does appear that maniacally - he saw running for Governer then President, as some dick size contest between him, his brother and father. Some real awkward bits, coz as we all know, he was and is a terrible spokesman, and there a a few cringeworthy parts peppered throughout, and rightly so.

I never thought I would say this, but it made me feel a little sorry for him, and I can only accredit this, to the sterling job that Josh Brolin does portaying him. His swagger, the way he positions his mouth/jaw, to the way he slints his eyes. Top Job. Also a good job done by James Cromwell, another fave of mine. Good cast in general really [altrhough the woman who plays Condoleeza is fucking annoying IMO]

Another decent film by Stone, although I do have a soft spot for his style, some real nice shots/lighting and mis en scene, and obligatory 'Stone lens flare'.

8/10 - good fuckun fillum

p.s - to back sandman up, Herzog is a demi-god IMO
post edited by silentjob - 2009/02/26 03:51:19
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 03:56:30 (permalink)
^ is that a doc or a dramatization. i aint heard of it
silentjob
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 04:01:52 (permalink)
dramatiZation?? tut tut laddy. Thought you where a yorkshire lad?
its a dramatiSation....

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 04:05:43 (permalink)
IM BEIN STREETZ N THAT YUH?

reserved ont lovefilm.

You should check Stalker if you aint seen it job, think you'd like it
silentjob
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 04:09:30 (permalink)
I seen. Didnt make the grade.
You seen Diva yet? Also - get Torremelinos 73 on that list too. and Russian Ark.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 04:24:40 (permalink)
[sm=stupid.gif] Stalker is immense

put them films pon the list, aint seen diva yet, my lovefilm list is stupidly long right now. time will come tho time will come

got a long shot film ID for you, i know nothing of the story or directors name, film has a scene where a couple get a letter delivered to them by a postman who comes into their room on a bike while they asleep and then an ostrich walks in the room. Was a clip on some tv program the other day and it looked nuts, proper surreal. maybes a 70s film. i imagine the director is pretty famous but i only seen that tiny clip. any idea? 
silentjob
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 11:00:56 (permalink)
Le Fantome de la Liberte

madness!! my brothers mate watched this while tripping on microdots. He told us about it, aint seen it in ages, Im pretty sure this is the one though
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071487/

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 18:10:54 (permalink)
^YES mate!! that looks like the one. nice work. [sm=biggthumpup.gif]
Papa_Wiego
  • Total Posts : 927
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/26 21:29:43 (permalink)
anyone seen milk yet?? think penn is immense actor and won oscar for it so its should be good. jus thought might not be able to get inot the subject matter too much?

.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/01 19:22:45 (permalink)
Cloverfield

The Japanese and the Americans have some mad fascination with blowing up and destroying their own major cities in film especially when it's aliens trying to take over Earth or just angry giant monsters smashing up buildings, probably more out of boredom or being frightened with having rockets shot at them then being angry bless 'em. With the Japanese I guess you can look back to old Godzilla films and how that monster there used to run around making itself a nuisance in Tokyo, and I guess in a way with the Japanese and depictions of a destroyed, even post-apocalyptic Tokyo goes back to America dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in 1945 and the scars of those events still living on through Japan's history and its art. With the case of Americans? Hollywood has invaded and destroyed America's landscape so many times throughout the existence of celluloid from King Kong to Independence Day, yet the country hasn't had any recent historical references of actually being attacked on its own soil its been able to draw from, or at least that was true until 2001 with the events of 9/11. Hollywood film makers I guess before then were just fascinated with the fantasy of America being attacked on a massive scale by outsiders, or maybe its just a chance to milk cash off of Japanese culture resulting in their own rubbish remakes of Godzilla and whatever else. Either way you look at it the whole idea of some green dirty looking monster or some outside invader terrorising people isn't a new idea and has been done since you were even born. With Cloverfield it's exactly the same thing that's been done over and over for years yet at the same time watching it feels like something totally different and new to anything else that has been attempted. 

The basic plot of the film is that there's a leaving party thrown for a lad called Rob who's off to Japan (see the monster 'Japan-American' link already?) to start a new position in his job. Unfortunately for the party boy and everyone else who attended the social gathering it is pulled to a stand-still when something starts attacking New York. Between Manhattan up in flames and a moody monster partaking in its own form of demolition he runs off with the help of his friends to save the bird he fancies but who he never got the chance to tell since she left the party earlier that night. All this of course being filmed by a handheld camcorder the whole time

The first thing that comes to mind when you're watching this is flashbacks of The Blair Witch Project and both the way it was filmed and the way it was marketed which I'll get to later. Personally even amongst the whole hype I thought Blair Witch was a weak film that failed to do exactly what the whole point of the film was and set out to scare me. With Cloverfield it is essentially the same thing where the whole film is from the perspective of someone holding a camcorder. This as a result leads to lots of restricted shots and loads of disorientation giving a feel of almost something of a documentary and a further step in pulling the audience closer to the action on screen. To be fair it would be easy to see why anyone would find this annoying but personally I thought the way it was filmed should be placed somewhere in the 'amazing' category. Like I mentioned previously with past monster and invasion films, the idea of it isn't new. We can watch several films through over the past 50 or so years and watch it being done over and over, but I doubt any one of them can immerse you the way Cloverfield is able to. The fact all you're seeing is what the camcorder is capturing with angles being off, the focus being all over the place and watching it can feel so disorienting is what stops this film being just another safe view of a monster attacking the city and instead actually throws you in the absolute chaos and complete pandemonium of Manhattan being attacked. Seeing the head of The Statue Of Liberty roll along the road followed by a crowd fleeing and taking cover from a blast of debris and smoke from what looks like the collapse of The Chrystler Building The Woolworth Building which harps back to those mobile phone shots of street level New York during 9/11 that you no doubt saw on TV which further adds to that sense of something that's much more relatable and believable, and also that much more frightening then a stop-motion clay monster stepping on a bit of cardboard or flying through the air with attacking military aircraft as you zoom in on some soulless looking CGI creature. The editing of the film is purposely rough and inconsistent as well keeping true to the idea of this being someone's home camcorder where there will be at times long shots of various scenes followed spontaneously by sporadic cuts and even during set pieces if the camcorder just happens to need to be put down or switched off. Just little touches of seeing brief and random moments of footage of Rob and Beth on their day out to Coney Island cutting in mid film which massively contrast any more greatly to the screams and destruction of the other scenes

As I mentioned before you can tie in The Blair Witch Project to Cloverfield in regarding to the hype that was generated before the film was even released. Crypic websites like ones that emerged during The Blair Witch Project blurring fiction with reality and a trailer that told pretty much nothing about the film, even going as far as to what the hell the film was about and what the film was even called. I've left it a year late to watch this film and now I'm wishing I'd watched it earlier though at least I haven't had an annoying cloud of hype and high expectations tainting my enjoyment of it. You've got to hand it to them that this film had some really good marketing, and it is produced by JJ Abrams after all who seems to have the whole viral marketing and hype generating process marked down to an art with Lost being a pretty good practice ground at sharpening that skill

I'm in two minds about this film because I am honest to God completely blown away by the film. Just the fact it feels so fresh and completely different to a lot of films out there (though even though I haven't seen it I know REC is filmed in a similar way). Though Cloverfield is a film full of ideas it could have easily failed in its execution. It pulls it off at every single checkpoint. Even the matter of the person holding the camcorder didn't lose it's credibility and in the back of my mind I was expecting that to happen the further the film progressed. I absolutely loved this film and it's been the first time I've wanted to watch a film again right after watching it in a very, very, very long time. The acting felt completely authentic and natural in the idea of how you would guess you would react in the situation of an attack. Not once did I feel the whole idea of this being a group of friends running through a genuine monster infested Manhattan was out of place keeping any semblance firmly in tact. Adding to this the special effects were sommot pretty special. The image of seeing New York getting ripped to shreds does (for me at least) make you wonder how the hell they filmed some bits of it. You'll see throughout the film your favourite New York landmarks such as the Brooklyn Bridge going through its own unique form of renovation

I'm going to chuck some negatives in though just to tip the balance of what I think is a brilliant film. Personally what I loved most about this film was the reluctance to show what was going in an any real clarity. I liked the fact for the most part you only saw brief shots and wobbly frames of the monster in a film which essentially worked by holding back from revealing everything and refusing to give you explanations, so I kind of got annoyed when they broke the mystique of what was holding me to the film when they did actually show the monster in full view near the end. Like a horror film, sometimes the best thing to do to keep the film scary is not to actually show whoever it is that's actually scaring you. Also, maybe the fact I didn't watch the film again right away was a good thing, as even though this was one of the best 80 minutes or so of film I've seen in a while I do question whether it actually has much substance and whether it can stand up to repeated viewing when all it is essentially (and don't get me wrong because it does it very fucking well) is a popcorn monster movie. For the time being anyway this is already my favourite monster/invasion film and I'm going to go looking for the DVD tomorrow because it is just sheer class. Japanese and American film-makers can stop making any more monster films from now on as far as I'm concerned unless they're purposely aiming at trying to top Cloverfield
post edited by .Exit - 2009/03/04 16:59:37
Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/01 21:32:27 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:24:16

.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/02 09:14:11 (permalink)
I have to be honest with ya, Kris, that film looks funny as fuck. Raw, but funny. You gotta let us know if it's good or not
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 13:00:43 (permalink)
Dumplings - Directed by Fruit Chan (yes the best name ever i know) - 2005

This is a strange film. A very strange film. A comment on the preservation of youth and beauty and the obsessive, un-natural horror that can come with such obsessions portrayed via the fun medium of aborted foetus cannibalism. The film tells the story of Mei, a weird purveyor of mysterious youth and beauty preservering dumpling meals, she cooks for her clients in her cramped, cheap apartment and in time they begin to re-capture their former youthful beauty through the nutrients contained with in the 'magic ingredient' in the dumplings. The film centres around one of Mei's clients, Mrs Li who is attempting to regain her former youthful beauty to re-capture the affections of her cheating husband, Mr Li.

Whether or not the films subject matter has any grounding in reality at all (i really dont know whether eating aborted foetus's would do anything for you) is inconsequential, the act of foetus cannibalism is just a fictional way for the film to explore the nature of obsessive self preservation, though portrayed realistically the foetus chomping is more symbolic than anything else. Through this horrific act the film plays around with a number of themes quite well and though never truly getting to any real depth on any of the main subjects it still makes reasonably interesting viewing. Passing comments on the nature of human obsession, vanity and addiction and also raising interesting questions relating to abortion and the value of a human life from its initial conception and the surrounding morality. 

The film is shot reasonably well, sometimes the camera seems a little unsure of itself and often the cinematography seems a little cluttered but all in all it is visually pretty good. The sound and music is excellent and adds alot to the creepy atmosphere in parts and lightens the mood in others. The acting seems to be of a high calibre from all the leads and Bai Lings portrayal of Mei is super as is her super tight little body[sm=yumyum.gif]

Though the film is extreme, it is never overly gorey or excessive. There are the odd moments that are shocking and graphic and there is an actual abortion scene which maybe too much for some people but its by no means a film geared up to testing a viewer and it doesnt push you to watch too much. The camera never really rests on anything to long and your never repulsed beyond reason (imo anyway, maybe ive seen to many fucked up films). The film is quite hard to place genre wise which i think is usually quite a good sign. Well worth a watch but nothing truly groundbreaking, its just an odd little story done quite well. I wouldn't rush out and buy it but i thorughly enjoyed it for a one of viewing.

Doubt
  • Total Posts : 6609
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 13:13:20 (permalink)
There's a similar thread on another forum so here's my replies...

(a few short ones)

City of God - 10/10

One of the best, most beautifully shot films i've seen for ages. Great acting, gritty story and it feels so real. Not to be missed.

Yes man - 6.5/10

Wasn't expecting much and it delivered some good laughs. Does what it says on the tin.

Frankie Boyle live
- 9/10

Blacker than black. Gotta be seen.

Sexy beast - 10/10

Some of the best acting i've ever seen. Top top film. You can feel the spanish heat. Very well shot.

Twilight
- 7/10

Saw this with the mrs yesterday. Good watch, just seemed lacking in some set pieces. Looks like it could be the start of an awful franchise too. That lead vampire guy is already winning over the hearts of girls world wide.

The Wrestler - Amazing film, Mickey Rourke gives one of the best performances you'll ever see. He's on screen for more or less the whole film and is so good a can't describe. Really gritty and real, Wrestling is an amazing sport. 9.5/10

Beyond the mat
- Watching the wrestler made me want to seee this again. Hadn't seen it for years so was new to me. One of the most interesting documentaries i've seen. Jake the snake is tragic, the Terry Funk bits really remind me of wrestler. Mick Foley is one of the most entertaining people ever put on the planet imo.Really down to earth guy aswell. A must see for everyone imo. 9/10

BOLT (3D)

Wicked little kiddy film. Very formulaic and predictable but its still a cracking little film. Still has the little adult jokes thrown in there and the 3D looked awesome. My mrs said it was much better than my bloody valentine (the 3d).

Travolta works well as a the voice but the hamster absolutely rinses it out. Very funny introduction aswell. Wasn't feeling the cars short at the start tho.

So to summarise, this isn't Nemo, wall-e or toy story standard but its very enjoyable. Kids will deffo love it. The next pixar film "Up" looks like it'll be a much more adventurous film than this one. Hopefully it'll be as good as the trailer made it look.

Bolt = 7/10

The Big Lebowski - I know this film has been around for a long time now, i've never got round to watching it till now. Thoroughly enjoyed this. Great characters and some good humour. John Goodman is a funny fucker, i wonder why he hasn't been in more films like this? Steve Buscemi was massively underused tho imo.

Fast, funk fun script with a lot going on although it does get a bit shitty at one point. Could've been a little shorter.

"This is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the arse"

7/10

13 - 8/10

Story about a 13 year old girl who falls in with the wrong crowd at school and befriends a she-devil type character. Holly Hunter plays the girls mum and puts in a 5* performance.

Its a good, realistic film and possibly an eye opener for some of the mums of the world. Filmed really well. Good film to watch with the mrs.

Friday 13th
2009 - 4/10

Fucking shit shit shit and more shit. I wasn't expecting much, well, i wasn't really expecting anything really and it still was a massive dissapointment.

Most american horror films are shite these days and all have that annoying glossy polished off look aswell as predictable scares. Either that or they resort to gore to keep the audience entertained.

Friday the 13th is a new low in horror re-makes. The original friday the 13th's aren't exactly great so this was a chance to spice up the franchise. Maybe add a bit more character depth to Jason.

But no, this film starts just as badly as it ends. A load of very poor actors stand in line to get killed off 1 by 1. The film has almost no plot. A load of kids look for some weed, Jason strikes,a few weeks later one of their bro's comes looking for them. Thats it.

I wasn't expecting anything more than a few jumpy bits and some gore. The gore was minimal and i didn't jump once. Is Jason the least scary horror movie character of all time? I think he may be.

If you like boobs and shit acting, this is for you.

Gran Turino - 10/10

Brilliant. Eastwood is class, great story. Very real, has everything in it. Funny as fuck too. This and Wrestler are the best films i've seen for a while.

DAWN OF THE DEAD
(just seen its on film 4 soon ^) - 9/10

Truly one of the best sequels ever made. Blends 2 elements to create a whole new element. it takes 1 situation that would be a dream come true and another that is your worst nightmare. Having a shopping mall free to yourself, but its overridden with zombies!

The combination of the 2 makes for extremely fun viewing. Its probably not gonna terrify anyone anymore but it definatley still packs a punch. This and night of the living dead are the only 2 zombie films that i'd say were "must see" films.

George A Romero struck gold when he made this.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 13:15:16 (permalink)

Cloverfield

one of those films thats got so many mixed reviews it must be doing something right. I almost think films that receive really varied reviews are more interesting sometimes than films that get noting but praise. REC is worth a watch for sure, dont know how it compares to Cloverfield but as a sort of 'ghost-train' horror film its pretty damn good. Its not really scarey untill the ver last scenes though.
.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 13:36:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

Cloverfield

one of those films thats got so many mixed reviews it must be doing something right. I almost think films that receive really varied reviews are more interesting sometimes than films that get noting but praise. REC is worth a watch for sure, dont know how it compares to Cloverfield but as a sort of 'ghost-train' horror film its pretty damn good. Its not really scarey untill the ver last scenes though.

I can see why it would get mixed reviews. The film doesn't give you much explanation, it just throws you right in the middle of the action with everyone else which I thought was great. Also the camera takes a while to get used to. I've watched it three times now and every time it starts it always takes a while to adjust to the camera because it does make you feel dizzy. I really thought is was just absolute quality, brilliant film

P.S. I just thought of Old Boy for some reason when you mentioned that she fills her face with dumplings. You watch some proper extreme films innit. Foetus eating?... got any more good film suggestions like that? Still need to check out that Martyrs like you mentioned as well, I've heard absolutely nothing about that film since you mentioned it
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 15:08:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

Cloverfield

I can see why it would get mixed reviews. The film doesn't give you much explanation, it just throws you right in the middle of the action with everyone else which I thought was great. Also the camera takes a while to get used to. I've watched it three times now and every time it starts it always takes a while to adjust to the camera because it does make you feel dizzy. I really thought is was just absolute quality, brilliant film

P.S. I just thought of Old Boy for some reason when you mentioned that she fills her face with dumplings. You watch some proper extreme films innit. Foetus eating?... got any more good film suggestions like that? Still need to check out that Martyrs like you mentioned as well, I've heard absolutely nothing about that film since you mentioned it

'Dumplings' has alittle bit of an Old Boy vibe stylistically. Its no where near as technical tho. It sounds alot worse than it is to be honest, on paper the words 'aborted foetus eating' seems rediculously horrific but the film itself isn't what i would consider 'extreme'. Martys on the other hand IS extreme. FUCKING EXTREME! lol . Dunno whats going on with it, it may not get released over here.

Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 15:12:18 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:24:41

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 15:16:23 (permalink)
post review when you seen it kris. looks proper funny, the music is so jolley as well
Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 18:24:55 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:24:54

The Rat
  • Total Posts : 44467
RE: Film reviews 2009/03/03 20:04:38 (permalink)
Remember reading about Dumpling ages ago and wanting to watch it, will look out for it
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 489
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0