Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..521522523524525.. > >> Showing page 524 of 526
Author
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5409
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/10 17:37:28 (permalink)
I'm sure Dune nerds have heard of it, but watch the documentary 'Jodorowsky's Dune' if you haven't already. It would have been a totally insane film if it ever got made. 
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 8235
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/10 17:42:51 (permalink)
DJModus
I'm sure Dune nerds have heard of it, but watch the documentary 'Jodorowsky's Dune' if you haven't already. It would have been a totally insane film if it ever got made. 

yeah man, was just gonna say! it's very cool. amazing how much was stolen from that original storyboard spec treatment. would love a proper nice hardbook book of jodorowsky's pitch artwork
Griff
  • Total Posts : 9353
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:18:33 (permalink)
Watched both Unbreakable and Split the past 2 nights, not seen either before.

Both very sick.  Unbreakable is a great, slow moving, kinda supernatural, kinda superhero type film.  

Split is a thriller/horror type thing but James McAvoy is incredible in it.

Now I wanna see Glass, although the reviews aren't looking too great at the moment. 
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97477
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:43:36 (permalink)
So later this year the film of the decade talk will be starting, just wondering what you lot would pick right now? I'll add your suggestions to my watch list.

Extremely easy choice for me - Blade Runner 2049, it's my favourite film ever along with the original. Second choice is also easy, Mad Max Fury Road, the greatest action movie I've seen but had a lot more depth and emotion than your average action movie. Picking a third place would be a lot harder, nothing massively stands out, for the hype and how excited I was at the time it would be The Force Awakens although The Last Jedi has left a bad taste in the mouth. Life of Pi, Django Unchained, Shutter Island and Interstellar come to mind although I'm sure there's loads I've forgotten. It's been the decade of the superhero movie but none of them are good enough to be the absolute best of the decade imo, The Dark Knight trilogy was the best and Thor Ragnarok was the most entertaining.
post edited by RAYZA - 2019/01/11 12:46:30
LHC
  • Total Posts : 8033
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:47:10 (permalink)
Griff
Watched both Unbreakable and Split the past 2 nights, not seen either before.

Both very sick.  Unbreakable is a great, slow moving, kinda supernatural, kinda superhero type film.  

Split is a thriller/horror type thing but James McAvoy is incredible in it.

Now I wanna see Glass, although the reviews aren't looking too great at the moment. 

Unbreakable is terrible
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:48:50 (permalink)
Do they rely on a twist/gimmick like other Shamalamadingdong movies?
Griff
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:54:51 (permalink)
Sort of, it does have a twist but it's not a huge change to the film, just adds to it.

I didn't think it was terrible at all, i thought it was great.  Willis is always better in a slow quiet roles, more 12 Monkeys than die hard, and Samuel L Jackson plays a creepy guy really fucking well. 
Griff
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 12:56:19 (permalink)
Razor
So later this year the film of the decade talk will be starting, just wondering what you lot would pick right now? I'll add your suggestions to my watch list.

Extremely easy choice for me - Blade Runner 2049, it's my favourite film ever along with the original. Second choice is also easy, Mad Max Fury Road, the greatest action movie I've seen but had a lot more depth and emotion than your average action movie. Picking a third place would be a lot harder, nothing massively stands out, for the hype and how excited I was at the time it would be The Force Awakens although The Last Jedi has left a bad taste in the mouth. Life of Pi, Django Unchained, Shutter Island and Interstellar come to mind although I'm sure there's loads I've forgotten. It's been the decade of the superhero movie but none of them are good enough to be the absolute best of the decade imo, The Dark Knight trilogy was the best and Thor Ragnarok was the most entertaining.

Life of Pi and BR2049 are definitely up there for me.

Huge fan of Arrival too, I'd probably have that in a top 5.
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1401
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:01:17 (permalink)
Too many, the early part of the decade was immense for intelligent / entertaining sci-fi.

A rough guess could be:

Interstellar
Arrival
Edge Of Tomorrow
Inception
Looper

Yeah that will do.

Edit: I hallucinated that it was supposed to be top 5?? So that's 5. 10 would be better.

Edit: DK Trilogy was previously decade apparently LOL.
post edited by Fiend. - 2019/01/11 13:05:10

...is this what you want???
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:01:42 (permalink)
Dark Knight was actually the previous decade
GSV
  • Total Posts : 594
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:07:01 (permalink)
Razor

I would definitely agree with your top two.  In no real order my other top films would be Inception, Arrival, The Grand Budapest Hotel & Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.  Life of Pi and The Force Awakens would definitely be up there as well.
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:12:28 (permalink)
My favourite animated movies of the decade

1. Kubo and The Two Strings
2. Zootropolis
3. Toy Story 3
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9688
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:25:08 (permalink)
The Revenant stands out for me.

Also Mandy. I can't stop thinking about it. I want to watch it at the cinema
GSV
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 13:37:56 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
The Revenant stands out for me.

Also Mandy. I can't stop thinking about it. I want to watch it at the cinema

Where abouts do you live?  If it's UK then https://www.list.co.uk/ is pretty good for finding when shows are on anywhere near you, it's even worth checking films that have been out of the cinema for ages, just checked Mandy and there are two showings near me in the next month.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 14:31:43 (permalink)
Razor

am currently muted on a two hour work call so had a lot of time to think!

tough to pick but here are a few absolute persys:
the hunt
the raid / the raid 2
the handmaiden
hunt for the wilderpeople
birdman
inception
blue ruin
green room
black swan
the babadook
wind river

shout outs to: boy, boyhood, ex machina, skyfall, three billboards, baby driver, looper, rogue one, sicario, deadpool, gone girl, prisoners, mad max fury road, BR 2049, slow west, whiplash, drive, dark knight rises, edge of tomorrow, get out, kick ass, calvary, thor ragnarok, kingsman, mother!

as sheer cinema experiences, these three were nuts. i'm not sure i'd ever watch them again but amazing in IMAX:
the revenant
gravity
dunkirk

animation:
inside out
kubo the two strings
isle of dogs
toy story 3
lego movie
wreck it ralph
GSV
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 15:56:26 (permalink)
gavinx
Razor

the hunt
the raid / the raid 2
the handmaiden
birdman
inception
blue ruin
green room
black swan
the babadook
wind river

shout outs to: boy, boyhood, ex machina, skyfall, three billboards, baby driver, looper, rogue one, sicario, deadpool, gone girl, prisoners, mad max fury road, BR 2049, slow west, whiplash, drive, dark knight rises, edge of tomorrow, get out, kick ass, calvary, thor ragnarok, kingsman, mother!

as sheer cinema experiences, these three were nuts. i'm not sure i'd ever watch them again but amazing in IMAX:
the revenant
gravity
dunkirk

animation:
inside out
kubo the two strings
isle of dogs
toy story 3
lego movie
wreck it ralph

You love Saulnier then!  Have you seen he's directed some of the new True Detective?

I would have Sicario over Wind River but I do love that whole "trilogy".  The Babadook is probably my favourite horror film of the decade, along with Under The Shadow, Train to Busan & Kill List.  I haven't seen Hereditary yet to be fair.

Kubo & The Two Strings might be the most underappreciated film of the decade, barely anyone I know has seen it.
Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4857
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 15:56:31 (permalink)
Don't watch too many films these days, not sure why, but got Sky Cinema recently so have been catching up with a lot. Off the top of my head I'll go with Three Billboards, Twelve Years A Slave and Ex Machina.
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:02:32 (permalink)
I did not rate Babadook, I feel like I need to see it again because I can't see why it was rated so highly
I've not seen much horror at all this decade but I really liked Halloween.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:05:15 (permalink)
GSV
gavinx
Razor

the hunt
the raid / the raid 2
the handmaiden
birdman
inception
blue ruin
green room
black swan
the babadook
wind river

the revenant
gravity
dunkirk

animation:
inside out
kubo the two strings
isle of dogs
toy story 3
lego movie
wreck it ralph

You love Saulnier then!  Have you seen he's directed some of the new True Detective?

I would have Sicario over Wind River but I do love that whole "trilogy".  The Babadook is probably my favourite horror film of the decade, along with Under The Shadow, Train to Busan & Kill List.  I haven't seen Hereditary yet to be fair.

Kubo & The Two Strings might be the most underappreciated film of the decade, barely anyone I know has seen it.

yeah man, love saulnier. i thought Hold The Dark was a bit uneven but still a good watch. hyped for his eps of TD (the first two)... shame he fell out with pizzolato because i think the plan was for him to direct the lot

train to busan and kill list! yes and yes. great shouts! i liked it follows too as well. interesting sort of quasi futuristic/80s aesthetic.

kermode loved under the shadow... still not seen

need to check out hereditary and a quiet place too
post edited by gavinx - 2019/01/11 16:08:38
LHC
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:28:16 (permalink)
Here's the IMDB rankings: https://www.imdb.com/list/ls021078225/

Quite shite
GSV
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:44:15 (permalink)
LHC

Quite shite

That's just a list by some random dingus isn't it?
gavinx

yeah man, love saulnier. i thought Hold The Dark was a bit uneven but still a good watch. hyped for his eps of TD (the first two)... shame he fell out with pizzolato because i think the plan was for him to direct the lot

train to busan and kill list! yes and yes. great shouts! i liked it follows too as well. interesting sort of quasi futuristic/80s aesthetic.

Ah shit I didn't realise that, Pizzolato sounds like a fucking nightmare to work with.
LHC
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:46:33 (permalink)
Actually yes you're right. I thought it was sorted by IMDB rating.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15638
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 16:54:14 (permalink)
Here's the complete list of everything released

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=feature&release_date=2010-01-01,2019-12-31&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

It's hard to find a sensible metric to sort by on imdb, that's by US box office.

Using box office figures as a means of measuring success is definitely flawed seeing as cinema ticket prices have doubled in the last 10 years, and it's certainly not a useful measurement of quality, but it's handy for getting the more popular stuff to the top of a list of 90,000+ movies.
post edited by Postman Pat - 2019/01/11 16:58:28
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 17:13:05 (permalink)
there are some lists sorted by overall rating that exclude random films that have 10s because they only have a few votes
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 17:29:39 (permalink)
GSV
LHC

Quite shite

That's just a list by some random dingus isn't it?
gavinx

Ah shit I didn't realise that, Pizzolato sounds like a fucking nightmare to work with.

yeah, a bit of a mentalist. he seems to have a good relationship with david milch though because milch has helped write TD and piz has worked on the new deadwood movie with him

TD s3 starts this weekend right? hyped 
Postman Pat
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 17:30:05 (permalink)
Razor
there are some lists sorted by overall rating that exclude random films that have 10s because they only have a few votes

The overall top 250 is sorted like that but I couldn't work out how to do it on a fixed period. I'm sure you used to be able to. 
RAYZA
Postman Pat
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/11 21:56:08 (permalink)
Interesting. Look forward to seeing that with my eyes.

That Spiderman Into The Spiderverse looks 3D at times, it's mad.
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33785
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/12 22:35:12 (permalink)
3 billboards

Said it a year ago before. Say it again. One of the best ever. These uk cunts held back the release for months. Why? Now it's cult.

Not sure I like it.

Lies.

It's fucking awesome, your cunts. Die.

JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11902
Re: RE: Film reviews 2019/01/12 23:01:20 (permalink)
Ex machina
Three billboards
Drive
Sicario
Logan
Ready player one (nostalgia central)
Shot Caller
Guardians of the galaxy

My memory is shite but I know I thoroughly enjoyed all of those movies, although I'm forgetting loads

I hope the list isn't dominated by superhero movies, everyone got a rock on for black panther which was average at best and reminded me of the jar jar bink's star wars at the end. Granted I haven't watched many superhero movies, I just get bored with the format.. it's all the same thing really.
Page: << < ..521522523524525.. > >> Showing page 524 of 526
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0