Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..521522 > Showing page 521 of 522
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 97005
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/10 11:49:22 (permalink)
Why's he ending Kermode Uncut though :(

Him and Stuckmann are my go to guys
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/12/10 11:50:39
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 8147
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/10 13:58:43 (permalink)
this looks good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3yRLLrXQA triple frontier

affleck, oscar isaac, charlie hunnam and pedro pascal in a gangster heist thing. director of the excellent A Most Violent Year 
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18542
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/10 23:12:00 (permalink)

Looks pretty sick, first one was OK I thought, some amazing sequences but also had long boring stretches.
This will be action packed it seems. Hopefully they have realised people don't watch these movies for the human characters, especially when you kill off the best actor in the cast a third of the way through the movie

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/11 00:54:43 (permalink)
Loved the first one, this looks great although I did appreciate the slow build of tension in the original, I hope that's not completely gone
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11720
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/11 13:06:33 (permalink)
Rewatched Leon last night and almost started crying at the end, totally forgot shape of my heart was the credits song.

Easily my favourite movie ever. How there wasn't an Oscar involved in that is beyond me. Must have been some year for movies.

Absolute classic.

God I'm getting totes emosh in my later years.
post edited by JUDGEDREDD - 2018/12/11 13:07:48
REDBOY1978
  • Total Posts : 14804
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/12 20:43:11 (permalink)
Gonna give White Boy Rick a go tonight, nice copies are now online.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15504
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/12 20:58:44 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Rewatched Leon last night and almost started crying at the end, totally forgot shape of my heart was the credits song.

Easily my favourite movie ever. How there wasn't an Oscar involved in that is beyond me. Must have been some year for movies.

Absolute classic.

God I'm getting totes emosh in my later years.

Since I became a Dad I've been a massive wetty with emotional moments in movies.

I was even welling up after the bomb went off at the end of Dark Knight Rises ffs

I can't handle the sight of grown men crying, makes me go all wobbly.
post edited by Postman Pat - 2018/12/12 21:00:55
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/12 22:37:42 (permalink)
I quite fancy having a big cry to the new Mary Poppins
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2962
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/13 08:41:55 (permalink)
clark grizwald
Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix is quite good for the Red Dead Redemption vibes

Thought this was good but disappointing in places. The acting is great, and each little story pretty interesting, but was annoyed the stories didn’t tie together at least a little bit.
The Duck of Death
  • Total Posts : 17813
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/13 10:34:24 (permalink)
its completely and utterly pointless but quite good i suppose.

i can only really remember the first one and the tom waites one though as well. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12991
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/13 13:31:08 (permalink)
Rudeboysy
clark grizwald
Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix is quite good for the Red Dead Redemption vibes

Thought this was good but disappointing in places. The acting is great, and each little story pretty interesting, but was annoyed the stories didn’t tie together at least a little bit.

They all seemed to tie together for me, the presence of sudden unexpected death was a factor in all the stories.

"The Girl Who Got Rattled" (the one with the yapping dog etc) was fucking brilliant. That twist was sharp. 
Enjoyed the prospector one a lot too. Looked stunning

Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 2990
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/14 12:46:35 (permalink)
The Bad Batch - Film with Jason Momoa from GOT and Keanu Reeves is set in a dystopian Mad Max style universe where people are outcast in to the desert to survive. It follows Suki Waterhouse's character who in the opening scenes has her arm and leg hack sawed off for cannibalism. Its really fucking grim opener. Still even as an amputee she looks hot in a kinda Brittany Murphy way. Guy is trying to track down his kid in the desert and it follows his efforts. Though it was pretty good and well worth a watch. 8/10. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUqfP1S-9ok
REDBOY1978
  • Total Posts : 14804
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/14 18:51:03 (permalink)
The House That Jack Built featuring Matt Damon as a serial killer is online, gonna check it tonight.
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2962
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/14 22:01:45 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Rudeboysy
clark grizwald

They all seemed to tie together for me, the presence of sudden unexpected death was a factor in all the stories.

"The Girl Who Got Rattled" (the one with the yapping dog etc) was fucking brilliant. That twist was sharp. 
Enjoyed the prospector one a lot too. Looked stunning

No main character died in either the prospector story or the one with the people in the carriage so not sure what you’re on about
OEM
  • Total Posts : 33672
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/14 22:24:04 (permalink)
Re-watching Real Player One. Such film ref. Many level. Wow.

Grade
  • Total Posts : 18542
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/14 22:32:26 (permalink)
Incredibles 2

Lots that was good, but the villain was awful and it was obvious within 5 minutes what was going on and would become the twist. Reinforced how good the first one is.

gentle kenneth
  • Total Posts : 1965
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/15 19:07:17 (permalink)
the prestige was alright. would watch again
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12991
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/12/15 20:41:33 (permalink)
Rudeboysy

No main character died in either the prospector story or the one with the people in the carriage so not sure what you’re on about

Well, I didn't say "a main character dies in each story" or much like it, I said the stories were linked by the theme of sudden, unexpected death.  So the prospector- you think he is dead but he turns on the seedy bloke and shoots him in the face... it's quite an intense moment for the bloke who thinks he had the drop on Tom Waits and now he is holding up his hand,only to get it drilled and end up with a slug in his face. You see it, up close and you feel some of the satisfaction from the prospector and the terror from the crook. 

One of the bounty hunters in the final story discusses his love of that moment, the moment when someone on the verge of death is trying to make sense of what the fuck it's all about (after his mate Brendan Gleeson had clocked him over the head or whatever). All of the stories have this theme, and our own personal ghoulish enjoyment of it is noted by the English bounty hunter. "I love it... I really love it" and "We love hearing about ourselves. As long as the people in the stories are us, but not us. Not us in the end, especially."
The squabbling in the coach is brought to an abrupt halt when the creepiness of the cargo the bounty hunters have got tied up on the roof of the coach unites the passengers in a halting fascination. The presence of death changes the atmosphere completely. There is something weird about that last one too, I had the feeling they were implying that there was something supernatural about that destination by the end of the vignette. 

So yeah, the film is about sudden unexpected twists of fate that become a matter of life and death, and our fascination with them and what they may or may not "mean". I think.   

Page: << < ..521522 > Showing page 521 of 522
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0