Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..516517518519520.. > >> Showing page 516 of 522
Author
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5358
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 13:17:49 (permalink)
Halloween season.

Watched The Fly with the gf on Friday. It remains a masterpiece and she liked it as well which is a bonus - she wasn't too keen on the giant maggot birth nightmare scene though. 

Watched an American Werewolf in London last night. So so good. I don't know how I hadn't seen it before. Perfect blend of genuine horror, amazing old school special effects, dry British humour and actually really nicely shot as well. Bonus points for a young Rick Mayall with a non-speaking part as well.  

Rewatched Friday the 13th 1 & 2 recently as well. It's like horror cliche bingo watching those films - sexed up teens, cabin in the wilderness, faceless serial killer, warning from a crazy local. Lovely stuff. 
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 96977
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 13:20:27 (permalink)
Got Halloween 4k blu ray and watched it at the weekend, thought it was pretty average and not as good as I remembered, just didn't feel the tension I remembered it having, it's a very basic film that is made better by the incredible soundtrack, without the soundtrack it would mainly just be shots of random houses lol. Going to see the new one next week and I expect it to be better.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 8143
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 14:18:03 (permalink)
DJModus
Halloween season.

Watched The Fly with the gf on Friday. It remains a masterpiece and she liked it as well which is a bonus - she wasn't too keen on the giant maggot birth nightmare scene though. 

Watched an American Werewolf in London last night. So so good. I don't know how I hadn't seen it before. Perfect blend of genuine horror, amazing old school special effects, dry British humour and actually really nicely shot as well. Bonus points for a young Rick Mayall with a non-speaking part as well.  

Rewatched Friday the 13th 1 & 2 recently as well. It's like horror cliche bingo watching those films - sexed up teens, cabin in the wilderness, faceless serial killer, warning from a crazy local. Lovely stuff. 

the fly and american werewolf in london are brilliant. love them. avoid the sequels though... awful

i quite like the first friday the 13th. the first halloween is ok, but like you say razor, quite basic. it was the first of it's kind though, so cut it some slack!

i think out of all the classic slashers, nightmare on elm street is by far the best one
Taipan1
  • Total Posts : 643
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 14:51:26 (permalink)
DJModus
Halloween season.

Watched a few years back for the first time, after coming back from a club.
The scene at the end on the boat nearly shot me through the roof! 10/10

JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11712
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 15:00:50 (permalink)
Best zombie movies?
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 15:23:40 (permalink)
gavinx
DJModus
Halloween season.

the fly and american werewolf in london are brilliant. love them. avoid the sequels though... awful

i quite like the first friday the 13th. the first halloween is ok, but like you say razor, quite basic. it was the first of it's kind though, so cut it some slack!

i think out of all the classic slashers, nightmare on elm street is by far the best one

Yeah Nightmare on Elm St. is excellent. I don't really like to put it in the same bracket as the standard serial killer slashers because it's better than that. The dream sequences get pretty surreal in places, like elongated arms and stairs turning to some kind of sticky marshmallow substance. 

I love the concept that you die if you fall asleep. That used to shit me up as a kid before I'd even seen the films, just knowing that was the premise of the film was enough to freak me out. 

As for Halloween yeah it's basic but pure I reckon. The original init. It's got that perfect unsettling vibe all the way through even if it's not particularly scary these days. 
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 15:25:44 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Best zombie movies?

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead

Rec

Plague of the Zombies (old school Hammer Horror if you're into that sorta thing)

And the original Frankenstein because obviously he's a type of zombie
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6659
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 15:34:32 (permalink)
New Pet Sematary trailer looks good. Out in April.

https://youtu.be/hRCplJFlQMM

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:04:49 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Best zombie movies?

train to busan is a brilliant recent one

28 days later is always sick

this is a little leftfield, and a much more arty choice, but i thought it was superb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4954522/ 

edit: the girl with all the gifts as well. british post-apoc zombie film. has a real 'last of us' vibe
post edited by gavinx - 2018/10/15 16:35:13
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:07:05 (permalink)
Suspiria remake looks like the best horror movie for years
JUDGEDREDD
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:10:28 (permalink)
gavinx
JUDGEDREDD
Best zombie movies?

train to busan is a brilliant recent one

28 days later is always sick

this is a little leftfield, and a much more arty choice, but i thought it was superb https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4954522/ 

Yeah this looks decent, will prob watch later, cheers!
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:22:36 (permalink)
Razor

I hate to be the guy to say this again but why remake perfection??
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:23:48 (permalink)
Oh yeah and best zombie movie is obviously Evil Dead II.

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:28:44 (permalink)
DJModus
Razor

Its not perfect tbf. They've gone for a different style, it's kind of like what they did with Blade Runner 2049, instead of copying the lighting style and the colours from the original they've gone for a brutalist style with muted colours and soviet style buildings, looks far better than I ever expected it to be.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:29:52 (permalink)
i always rated tenebrae over suspiria tbh

interested to see what they do with the remake. visual style looks interesting and thom yorke's music sounds pretty sick
post edited by gavinx - 2018/10/15 16:35:44
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 16:42:10 (permalink)
I'd like a Tenebre remake. Great story but very rough around the edges and hard to recommend to your average person really, think it had some dodgy dubbing when I watched it too.
The Duck of Death
  • Total Posts : 17811
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 17:00:06 (permalink)
La Horde is my favourite zombie film, its fully sick
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 17:04:28 (permalink)
Razor
I'd like a Tenebre remake. Great story but very rough around the edges and hard to recommend to your average person really, think it had some dodgy dubbing when I watched it too.

yeah, i always thought it was one of the rare group of films that could actually benefit from a remake too. i like practical effects generally but i remember some of the stuff in Tenebrae is a bit 'DIY'...!
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 17:08:42 (permalink)
talking of zombie films... david fincher is directing World War Z 2. very odd.

i can only assume it's in exchange for giving him the money for something else he wants to do next. if they pick some of the other great stuff from the book though it still has the potential to make a good film. still, needed a HBO miniseries really
JUDGEDREDD
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 17:10:49 (permalink)
fancy reading the book again, was actually entertaining 
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3446
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 17:28:17 (permalink)
Razor
DJModus
Razor

"...they've gone for a brutalist style with muted colours and soviet style buildings..."

Grade
  • Total Posts : 18542
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 21:43:30 (permalink)
gavinx
some great (slightly lesser-known) modern westerns in recent years if you're keen:
the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
hell or high water
slow west
the salvation
bone tomahawk
the rover
the proposition

i guess it's not technically a western, but wind river really reminded me of one. brilliant as well.

anyone seen Once Upon a Time In America btw? crazy film...

Seen most of those. Keen to check out The Proposition though, meant to be good
I love Wind River, it's maybe my favourite Taylor Sheridan movie yet, definitely preferred it to Hell or High Water.

I've tried to watch Once Upon a Time in America a few times but never finished it without falling asleep I don't think. Epic story though. Once I'm done with Leone's back cat of Westerns I'll give it another go.

fonik
  • Total Posts : 3777
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/16 08:04:02 (permalink)
went to see 'first man' at the weekend, decent

the tension/atmosphere when they actually land on the moon is incredible, you could hear a pin drop in the cinema. its still an absolutely unbelievable achievement, cant imagine how armstrong must have felt. unreal

having said that the moon landing is my favourite conspiracy theory, so....

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/16 12:42:13 (permalink)
Grade
gavinx
some great (slightly lesser-known) modern westerns in recent years if you're keen:
hell or high water
slow west
the salvation
bone tomahawk
the rover
the proposition

i guess it's not technically a western, but wind river really reminded me of one. brilliant as well.

I love Wind River, it's maybe my favourite Taylor Sheridan movie yet, definitely preferred it to Hell or High Water.

I've tried to watch Once Upon a Time in America a few times but never finished it without falling asleep I don't think. Epic story though. Once I'm done with Leone's back cat of Westerns I'll give it another go.

oh yeah, it is loooooonnngggg. i think i ended up doing it in three stints in the end. it's interesting. i wouldn't say it's a must-see but i was glad i watched it. beautifully made too, as you'd expect

Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15488
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/16 13:10:49 (permalink)
fonik
went to see 'first man' at the weekend, decent

the tension/atmosphere when they actually land on the moon is incredible, you could hear a pin drop in the cinema. its still an absolutely unbelievable achievement, cant imagine how armstrong must have felt. unreal

having said that the moon landing is my favourite conspiracy theory, so....

Really need to see this, love moon landing stuff. Apollo 13 vhs got battered in our house in the 90s.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8990
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/16 13:29:34 (permalink)
gavinx
Grade
gavinx
hell or high water
slow west
the salvation
bone tomahawk
the rover
the proposition

oh yeah, it is loooooonnngggg. i think i ended up doing it in three stints in the end. it's interesting. i wouldn't say it's a must-see but i was glad i watched it. beautifully made too, as you'd expect

i swear the DVD version is about 4 hours long!

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/16 13:50:28 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
gavinx
Grade
gavinx
hell or high water
slow west
the salvation
bone tomahawk
the rover
the proposition

i swear the DVD version is about 4 hours long!

yeah, the version i watched was. feels like it at times too. 

there have been a number of shorter edits though over the years apparently... including an hour and a half one done for american TV in the 90s which i can only assume is completely incoherent!
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/20 21:00:31 (permalink)
I absolutely loved Thor Ragnarok, I didn't know a Marvel movie could be so good if I'm honest. Also one of the best examples of 3D yet.
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/10/20 22:11:21
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6647
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/24 20:23:44 (permalink)
who recommended that Calibre film?

watched it last night and loved it - thought there was some brilliant tense moment where you really felt the dread

can kind of see how a situation can go south like that in all the madness

Griff
  • Total Posts : 9335
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/24 20:31:39 (permalink)
Razor
I absolutely loved Thor Ragnarok, I didn't know a Marvel movie could be so good if I'm honest. Also one of the best examples of 3D yet.

Thor Ragnarok was fucking great.  Was hilarious.  Wanna get the 4K tbh.

Taika Waititi though innit.  Funny fucker. 
Page: << < ..516517518519520.. > >> Showing page 516 of 522
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0