Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..511512513514515.. > >> Showing page 515 of 520
Author
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 96666
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 13:41:48 (permalink)
Nolan is such a don, doubt he will ever make a bad film.

Only one I can't remember is The Prestige so just ordered the 4K blu ray. Never seen Insomnia either and never really hear anything about it, any good?
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 13:43:28 (permalink)
Matt Damon is an unlucky bugger isn't he, stuck alone in space twice within a year
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4439
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 13:50:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rudeboysy 2018/09/19 16:57:47
Insomnia is a great film.
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2345
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 14:10:40 (permalink)
Prayer Before Dawn 

Matey from peaky blinders is a bit one dimensional but its pretty dark in parts and some of the production is great. The fella who its based upon looks like a savage. 
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 8028
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 14:27:09 (permalink)
i like the rest of it, and it looks amazing, but the last 40 minutes or so of Interstellar are rubbish imo

overall, it's probably my least favourite of his films tbh

surprised his next film hasn't been announced yet, been a while since Dunkirk hasn't it...
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4439
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 14:27:44 (permalink)
Just watched the new Jeff Nichols short film with Michael Shannon, what is the point of short films? This could have been amazing, Shotgun Stories was so good.
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 14:57:06 (permalink)
It's his best film imo. Inception is my least favourite.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 15:12:22 (permalink)
it is really hard to rank them... i think the dark knight is my number one though 

interstellar and dunkirk i probably enjoyed the least

if you've not seen his first film, following, it's worth a look. only about an hour long but pretty interesting
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18495
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 09:10:35 (permalink)
I took one for the team and hit The Predator
I am a Predator tragic so couldn’t not really

It is a complete joke of a film, but surprisingly entertaining. They’ve gone balls deep on making it a dumb comedy and for the most part the jokes are decent and the actors are funny and pull it off. The Predator stuff is a weird backdrop for it really.

Fuck it is so stupid. I couldn’t get past thinking how bagged up Shane Black and everyone involved in making that must have been

Ps. Interstellar was tripe. Nice visuals, shit story
Same for Dunkirk aside from the Spitfire plotline
post edited by Grade - 2018/09/21 09:15:04

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 14:49:38 (permalink)
Shit story u wot m8?

Why the hell did they make Predator into a slapstick comedy, I just don't get it
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8908
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 14:58:15 (permalink)
new predator looks awful. Maybe that other Predator film with Alistair McGowan in wasn't so bad in retrospect..
post edited by Stoopid_Fux - 2018/09/21 14:59:38
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 15:11:58 (permalink)
Predators was quality
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 15:32:18 (permalink)
if you enjoyed Interstellar, read these https://www.goodreads.com/series/49805-flood 

it's basically the same story but about a hundred times better. goes a long way into the future as well.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8908
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/21 15:36:57 (permalink)
I thought Interstellar was visually stunning but was bit of a mixed bag (like a lot of Nolan films tbh) .
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/24 19:28:02 (permalink)
Just got my first dolby atmos setup today and wow it sounds incredible, highly recommend it to anyone who can afford it, it sounds better than any cinema I've been to before, no crackling, no distortion at max level, bass that shakes your body and sound comes from all over the room with 5 up firing speakers, 2 side speakers and another 11 front facing speakers. Sounds good on regular tv but stick on something with atmos and it's a proper eargasm. It's a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I'd spend on speakers but I'm already glad I did, only problem is I won't want to watch a movie without atmos again. There's some atmos cinemas opening here sometime next year so if you don't wanna spend that much at least check it out there.
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/09/24 19:29:30
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/24 19:31:11 (permalink)
When I saw Blade Runner 2049 at the cinema the speakers were crackling, vibrating and generally struggling with the loud soundtrack, watching it here the sound is perfect throughout even though it feels like it's shaking the entire house.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/02 09:30:27 (permalink)
good article looking back at 40 years of great horror films and how they're constantly overlooked at awards ceremonies-
https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/10/1/17921290/horror-movie-academy-awards-halloween-40-alien-shining-nightmare-elm-street-silence-lambs-scream

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/11 08:52:10 (permalink)
the night comes for us... new indonesian martial arts film out next week on netflix. billed as 'The Raid 3'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSisHrUTLM 
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15340
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/11 08:55:49 (permalink)
Razor
Just got my first dolby atmos setup today and wow it sounds incredible, highly recommend it to anyone who can afford it, it sounds better than any cinema I've been to before, no crackling, no distortion at max level, bass that shakes your body and sound comes from all over the room with 5 up firing speakers, 2 side speakers and another 11 front facing speakers. Sounds good on regular tv but stick on something with atmos and it's a proper eargasm. It's a hell of a lot more than I ever thought I'd spend on speakers but I'm already glad I did, only problem is I won't want to watch a movie without atmos again. There's some atmos cinemas opening here sometime next year so if you don't wanna spend that much at least check it out there.

Nice, post some links to what you bought.

I've got a standard 5.1 setup but the amp supports atmos, atmos films sound noticeably better even without any up firing speakers etc

dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16931
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/11 09:37:55 (permalink)
The Place Beyond the pines. Not sure how I missed this. Enjoyed this a lot for a Sunday comedown film. Gosling being gosling. Cooper being cooper. Mendelsohn being Mendelsohn! Just what I needed
DrKevorkian
  • Total Posts : 1536
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/11 13:21:25 (permalink)
Mandy is fucking sick. It's a weird bastard of a film, clearly draws from a lot of other films/stories but also tells it's own unique story. Creepy hippy/rednecks, weirdo biker aliens, Nic Cage. It's got it all.

Leave No Trace is also amazing but in a totally different way. Best just to watch it.
Jonesy.
  • Total Posts : 8396
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/14 20:22:52 (permalink)
Took my son to watch Christopher Robin today.

Thought it was going to be terrible but ended up enjoying it just as much as my lad.

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/14 20:45:17 (permalink)
Postman Pat
Razor

Nice, post some links to what you bought.

I've got a standard 5.1 setup but the amp supports atmos, atmos films sound noticeably better even without any up firing speakers etc

I got this soundbar

https://www.richersounds.com/sams-hw-n950-xu.html

The sound is amazing but when it's quiet I often hear a hissing/static sound which drives me mad, not sure what the problem is. No one else I've shown it has noticed the sound but I've got pretty good hearing.
Grade
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/14 22:18:42 (permalink)
Once Upon a Time in the West

Second time watching this. It's the best Western I've seen by some distance, and one of the best movies ever made. This had a huge budget for the time and the quality is simply higher than any other Western, especially the cinematography and music, which stand up to, and exceed modern films.
The score is some of the most powerful music ever written, you really fall in love with the music and it transports you to the world of the movie. 

Anyone who is a fan of Red Dead Redemption should watch this as it's heavily inspired by it.

Special mention to Henry Fonda as Frank, one of the greatest villains ever put to screen. 

Epic. 10/10

post edited by Grade - 2018/10/15 05:09:19

Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2941
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 05:42:51 (permalink)
Red Sparrow - massively average spy thriller. Weak plot, standard acting. Can’t believe Jennifer Lawrence chose this as the movie to get naked in. Still at least it makes the film notable for something. 4/10

Deadpool 2 - pretty much like the first one, but less novel obvs. Still quite funny. Worth watching if it’s free, just don’t expect too much 5/10
Postman Pat
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 07:19:42 (permalink)
Grade

Second time watching this. It's the best Western I've seen by some distance, and one of the best movies ever made. This had a huge budget for the time and the quality is simply higher than any other Western, especially the cinematography and music, which stand up to, and exceed modern films.
The score is some of the most powerful music ever written, you really fall in love with the music and it transports you to the world of the movie. 

Anyone who is a fan of Red Dead Redemption should watch this as it's heavily inspired by it.

Special mention to Henry Fonda as Frank, one of the greatest villains ever put to screen. 

Epic. 10/10

I absolutely love this and the dollars trilogy, nothing else quite like them. They look so fucking good too, fingers crossed they get a proper 4k hdr release soon.
Grade
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 07:42:39 (permalink)
Postman Pat
Grade

I absolutely love this and the dollars trilogy, nothing else quite like them. They look so fucking good too, fingers crossed they get a proper 4k hdr release soon.

I really want to see some Leone movies on the big screen. And Morricone’s music in all his films sends shivers down your spine, I don’t understand how someone can churn out so many amazing pieces of music.

Ive only seen The Good, the Bad and the Ugly of the dollars trilogy so going to watch For a Few Dollars More next.

Postman Pat
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 08:41:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Grade 2018/10/15 08:57:21
The weird thing going between Good Bad & Ugly and A Few Dollars More is Lee Van Cleef being a bad guy in one and a good guy in the other despite wearing the exact same hat lol. Takes a while to adjust.

Seeing them on the big screen would be amazing, would have to be the hugest screen possible to get the most of the 70mm, would probably have to go to the US to find a screen good enough to do them justice. Raaa I wanna watch them all again right now, gonna go in on Fistful of Dollars tonight.
Duderonomy
  • Total Posts : 3530
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 08:48:25 (permalink)
Went to the Sitges film festival and saw a trio of bizarre films.

Anon - was like a cross between that Black Mirror episode with the Grain implant, and a Sci-Fi I can’t name that involved head-sets people used to record what they saw... the common theme is that a killer finds a way to make the victims watch their own death.
Typically they’ve taken a great British idea and Americanised it into something bland and boring.
WNB

High Life - small group of male and female death-row prisoners sent into space as a chance to atone for their crimes by helping humanity. Some 2001 vibes, well shot, atmospheric and bleak meditation on reproduction, survival etc.
WB

In Fabric - IMDB says:
“In Fabric, is a haunting ghost story set against the backdrop of a busy winter sales period in a department store and follows the life of a cursed dress as it passes from person to person, with devastating consequences.”
I’d also add that this was hilarious, scary, weird, has brilliant music, 80s adverts cut up with special FX, and familiar Brit tv faces. Well worth seeing at the cinema for the sensory experience.
WB
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/10/15 12:17:27 (permalink)
some great (slightly lesser-known) modern westerns in recent years if you're keen:
the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford
hell or high water
slow west
the salvation
bone tomahawk
the rover
the proposition

i guess it's not technically a western, but wind river really reminded me of one. brilliant as well.

anyone seen Once Upon a Time In America btw? crazy film...

post edited by gavinx - 2018/10/15 12:18:42
Page: << < ..511512513514515.. > >> Showing page 515 of 520
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0