Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..511512513514515.. > >> Showing page 514 of 522
Author
Griff
  • Total Posts : 9335
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/20 18:53:03 (permalink)
Yeah I saw it in 3d at the cinema, best 3d cinema experience I've had for sure.

The fish bit - sheesh.  
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6634
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/20 18:55:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rudeboysy 2018/09/17 17:13:00
i watched The Big Short the other night. quite enjoyed it.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8969
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/24 14:33:03 (permalink)
Trailer for Suspiria remake :

Ankle
  • Total Posts : 4957
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/24 15:28:24 (permalink)
'Hereditary' https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7784604/ - one of the better recent horrors. Lead actress is brilliant. 7/10
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 96942
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/25 01:34:45 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
Trailer for Suspiria remake :

looks surprisingly good although stylistically nothing like the original
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2957
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/25 06:27:53 (permalink)
Watched children of men last night. First watched it 10 years ago and thought it was meh.

Was a bit better on second viewing, but I don’t really understand the hype around it. It’s fine, watchable, generally well shot and acted, but in that list of top sci-fi movies posted here it was number 2.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16936
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/25 07:11:42 (permalink)
It’s bloody amazing. One of the best dystopian films imo
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/25 07:27:03 (permalink)
I also watched it around the time it came out and it didn't stick with me at all and found it meh, would like to see it again as it seems to be so highly rated these days.
DrKevorkian
  • Total Posts : 1548
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/25 09:31:46 (permalink)
Rudeboysy
Watched children of men last night. First watched it 10 years ago and thought it was meh.

Was a bit better on second viewing, but I don’t really understand the hype around it. It’s fine, watchable, generally well shot and acted, but in that list of top sci-fi movies posted here it was number 2.

Not sure I get what all the fuss is about as well. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but it's not up there.
Rudeboysy
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/08/27 06:57:28 (permalink)
Watched the Florida Project last night. Can’t tell if I liked it or not. Doesn’t really go anywhere or do anything, but some of the characters are very charming. Mainly just makes me not want to visit Florida. 5/10
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4439
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/02 14:29:26 (permalink)
Not sure how I stumbled across it but recently watched an 80's film called Vagabond. Any similar recommendations? 
Rudeboysy
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/02 14:46:22 (permalink)
Lady Macbeth - pretty dark. Acting is great as is the story. Not exactly an enjoyable watch though 6/10
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 8131
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 12:10:21 (permalink)
great piece about Guillermo del Toro's love for Zodiac
https://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/guillermo-del-toro-david-fincher-zodiac-1201790080/ 

one of the best films of the last decade or so imo
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 14:04:13 (permalink)
watched quite a few things recently since i now have children and don't ever go out:

The spanish prisoner - brilliant david mamet con man thriller staring steve martin. witty script and captivating story. highly recommended 5/5

wild at heart - even for david lynch and nic cage, this is utterly bizarre. i get that it's supposed to have a quasi-fairytale feel, but it's all just a bit silly and juvenile. i had high hopes, and although there are still some great moments, overall i was left pretty disappointed overall 2.5/5

three days of the condor - classic conspiracy featuring robert redford at his best. plot whips a long and trusts the viewer to keep up. only real negative is that faye dunaway is wasted with some shambolically sexist 70s writing where she gets kidnapped but then goes all weak at the knees because - gosh - isn't it nice to have a man notice you? get past that though and it's brilliant 4.75/5

the way of the gun - one of the most underrated films of the 00s. chris mcquarrie's directorial debut after loads of brilliant scripts in the mid to late 90s (i.e. the usual suspects). ryan phillipe and benecio del toro play criminals who get embroiled in a caper that becomes more complicated than it first appears. great writing and performances, and some top draw action sequences (mcquarrie's bro used to be a navy seal and did all the choreography apparently) 5/5

adaptation - nic cage plays two brothers in a semi-autobiographical story about charlie kaufman trying to follow up Being John Malkovich by adapting the orchid thief. he goes a bit mad and his imagination takes over as he gets writer's block. it's utterly bonkers and i love it 4.5/5

identity - nine strangers get stranded at a motel in a huge storm. they start getting bumped off. or do they...?! very strange film. you either love the central conceit/twist or you hate it. i kind of hated it. the odd good moment though 2/5
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11685
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 15:33:20 (permalink)
Akria really is a bloody masterpiece isn't it, the original dub anyway.. can't stand that updated dub, been watching it since I was about 5
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 15:51:06 (permalink)
i only actually saw Akira for the first time last year. what an idiot! it is fully sick

(anyone who watches a foreign film dubbed can fuck right off)
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 16:01:37 (permalink)
Some films the dubbing adds to the corny appeal. I've never seen Suspiria or Tenebre without dubbing. It makes old kung fu movies hilarious.
JUDGEDREDD
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/03 16:28:56 (permalink)
I mean the 91 uk dub, they redubbed it in 01 with new voices and I cannot watch it.

Alright vid I watched recently, same guy who did a decent video on the simpsons

I want the mangas but it looks like it'll cost about £200 
JUDGEDREDD
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/05 08:58:27 (permalink)
Ready player one - pop culture wankathon that I couldn't help but massively enjoy
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/16 15:29:17 (permalink)
Went and watched Harry Dean Stanton's last film, Lucky (having already seen it at a film festival earlier in the year). It's such a perfect end to his career. Got feels at some points.

He was just so fucking cool.

My parents were up earlier in the week and managed to convince them to see 2001 on a 70mm film-to-film transfer the cinema was showing (my dad having seen it in 1968). That looked wonderful as well. It followed the original Kubrick instructions (no trailers, dim lights and show a minute of black screen with sound, 15 min interval).
post edited by dotarr - 2018/09/16 15:31:49
21 21
  • Total Posts : 6634
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/16 15:57:19 (permalink)

watched this on netflix last night and it was absolutely sick. anyone seen it? 
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/16 23:18:40 (permalink)
Just watched Interstellar, fucking amazing headfuck of a film.
Grade
  • Total Posts : 18530
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/16 23:39:06 (permalink)
dazdsb

watched this on netflix last night and it was absolutely sick. anyone seen it? 

This was crazy. I'm not into anime but gave this a go and it's some insane dark shit, amazing animation.

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/17 10:13:44 (permalink)
been watching some old classics recently and two in particular stand out. both made in the same year, both nominated for virtually every award going and both featuring an ageing starlet who's facing the reality that her time is up. anyway, they're almost 70 years old, and miles better than anything else i've watched for some time. get a good, crisp version and the black and white photography looks amazing still

Sunset Boulevard - david lynch's favourite film, and i can see why. mulholland drive especially draws from it, but so does lots of his other work. i could write pages about why it's brilliant, but i won't. just watch it 5/5

All About Eve - maybe not quite as good... or maybe doesn't hold up quite as well to the age... but still a fascinating watch. amazing performances all round and a really sharp, funny script. marilyn monroe's first on-screen performance (i think), but the other two women steal the show. i absolutely loved it. the ending is immaculate 5/5
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5353
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/17 12:11:51 (permalink)
gavinx

Sunset Boulevard - david lynch's favourite film, and i can see why. mulholland drive especially draws from it, but so does lots of his other work. i could write pages about why it's brilliant, but i won't. just watch it 5/5

So good. It's the little touches as well like having the old silent stars making cameos e.g. Buster Keaton. And her loyal servant throughout is Erich von Stroheim, a legendary silent movie director. Proper classic. 
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5353
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/17 12:14:49 (permalink)
gavinx
i only actually saw Akira for the first time last year. what an idiot! it is fully sick

(anyone who watches a foreign film dubbed can fuck right off)

JUDGEDREDD
Akria really is a bloody masterpiece isn't it, the original dub anyway.. can't stand that updated dub, been watching it since I was about 5

The ultimate. Top 10 of all time business imo. It's certainly in my top ten. 

Definitely best subtitled as well, though I've never watched it with this earlier dub. 
JUDGEDREDD
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/17 16:11:02 (permalink)
Try the 91 dub if you get a chance, I no doubt prefer it as it's the nostalgia however I can't fuck with the other one. 
Found a stream here 

https://watchcartoonsonline.la/watch-akira-1988-full-movie-english-dub/

^
the redub makes me cringe

Will check that rec daz, 

I need more dark nutty anime in my life, Akria / Fist of the North Star / Ghost in the Shell style recs please 
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5116
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/17 21:33:08 (permalink)
gavinx
been watching some old classics recently and two in particular stand out. both made in the same year, both nominated for virtually every award going and both featuring an ageing starlet who's facing the reality that her time is up. anyway, they're almost 70 years old, and miles better than anything else i've watched for some time. get a good, crisp version and the black and white photography looks amazing still

All About Eve - maybe not quite as good... or maybe doesn't hold up quite as well to the age... but still a fascinating watch. amazing performances all round and a really sharp, funny script. marilyn monroe's first on-screen performance (i think), but the other two women steal the show. i absolutely loved it. the ending is immaculate 5/5

gavinx

Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend are a fantastic trifecta of Wilder/Seitz collabs.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/18 09:17:43 (permalink)
nice one, cheers. will add them to the list!
Marcus-Darkus
  • Total Posts : 13560
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/09/19 13:37:22 (permalink)
Razor
Just watched Interstellar, fucking amazing headfuck of a film.

I only got round to watching it a couple of months ago. Such an amazing film, the visuals and backing music are literally breathtaking, and yes it is a complete headfuck at the end lol

Mad P - "On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me,
Afghani Black on a big rock the living mampi."

Page: << < ..511512513514515.. > >> Showing page 514 of 522
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0