Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 489
Author
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/18 04:16:27 (permalink)
there are no cuts in Russian Ark - epic bizzle
sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15341
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/19 13:20:25 (permalink)
Vicky Christina Barcelona - 2009 - Woody Allen

Watched last night in the cinema after a day drinking with my mum and my sister Was pretty pissed to be honest so details may be sketchy.
The story revolves around two girls, a painter from Spain and the painters crazy ex-wife. Both the girls (Vicky and Christina) are best friends who have completely conflicting ideas of love and what makes a relationship special, Vicky being commitment conscious and sensible while Christina craves romance and passion. They meet an arty painter from Spain who whisks them both away for a weekend of romance. The film is mainly about the girls and there relationship and the painter and his relationship with them and his homicidal, suicidal ex-wife.

There's not much to it on paper and to be fair it sounds fucking terrible. I would ordinarily avoid such a blatant romcom like the plague but as its written by Woody Allen and stars Scarlett Johannson and Penelope Cruz i thought it may have some redeeming features, namely a good script and a good wank. Once the film actually got going i quickly found, against my better judgement, that i was enjoying it. The script is well written, quick and to the point with out ever feeling rushed or unnatural, often funny, often interesting and always well structured and well delivered and the the narrative is sharp and witty and never feels over used or out of place even if the guys voice is alittle annoying. Eveyone in the film is a perfect cast an gives a really believable performance, acting is top notch from everyone all though no one is REALLY jaw dropping acting wise, however looks wise almost all the main female characters are drool in you pop corn hot and my half drunk mother assured me the Spanish painter (Javier Bardem of NO COUNTRY air gun to your face fame) was a bit of a looker so there is plenty of eye candy for everyone. The film itself looks as good as its cast, beautifully shot in the spanish summer, i found myslef longing to leave the cinema and book a flight to spain then and there. The cinematography is never noticeably excellent but never noticeably poor, the content of whats on screen is simply nice enough to please the eye with out any flamboyant filming techniques.

All in all I enjoyed the film, its nothing truly ground breaking and obviously wouldn't be for everyone. If you like love stories and films about relationships you'll lap this up, if you can appreciate a good film no matter how adverse to the genre you are then you will appreciate this film as it is well made, but if you just cannot stomach films about romance and love then avoid.
post edited by sandmanJO3 - 2009/02/19 13:21:35
Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24834
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/19 13:24:20 (permalink)
Yes - I have been looking forward to this too actually - same as you - normally avoid rom coms but I thought this one would prob be an exception
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/19 13:28:47 (permalink)
yeah its got something to it that sets it aside from your average trashy love film, well worth a look i reckons
.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/19 13:29:03 (permalink)
Nice review, mate. I wouldn't mind watching Vicky Christina Barcelona. Scarlett Johannson (even if Lost In Translation was a fluke) and Penelope Cruz... you don't really need much more of a reason really

Watched Bee Movie last night, did make me laugh, and I've been in a proper mood for watching Brick again for ages so I'll probably write something about those two later on
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/19 13:33:22 (permalink)
SCarlett Johannson is pretty good in this to be honest, and she is painfully hot imo. SAme with Penelope Cruz, both look amazing AND put good performances. Shame there is no nudity.

Brick is fucking sick, love that film, real independant film making business.
Papa_Wiego
  • Total Posts : 927
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 16:10:15 (permalink)
watched Into The Wild last night. one of the best films ive seen i a while. watched it. had a cuppa tea, then watched it again. ok, i am a lazy student with much free time but very very rarely do that. well good 90%

Papa_Wiego
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 16:46:47 (permalink)
also watched a filmed called steal last night. had fairly high hopes as was directed by guy who did taxi (the quality french one, not the shit, joke queen lateefa 1 which i havnt seen but feel i can slate the shit out of it from the promo poster alone) and was about a bunch of extreme sports enthusiasts who rob banks and use there skills to get away. i wasnt expecting an epic but a slightly cheesy, funny action film. it was infact utter and pure shite. at first found it amusing and tried to give it a chance but was so terrible. characters were all so cliche it was jus ridiculous. could barely watch till the end, was tough and in not worth it at all. cant be arsed to waste any more time typin about it. very very weak 9%

.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 17:34:47 (permalink)
Bee Movie

I know absolutely nothing about Jerry Seinfeld. I know absolutely nothing about the programme 'Seinfeld' except that it was a comedy and it was supposed to be good. Of all the comedies of that time I was watching Friends (and still am going by how many times Channel 4 keep running repeats of every episode for the 18th time) Seinfeld did it's own thing while I carried on existing in youth fuelled blissful ignorance. Bee Movie is basically an animation from the Dreamworks studios that just happened to be written and staring Jerry Seinfeld hence the reason I'm banging on about nothing but the bloke so far, so basically I had no idea what kind of humour to expect. Hey, it was on Sky, I might as well watch it

Basically Jerry Seinfeld plays Barry, a bee who just happens to be at a crossroad where he has to decide what to do with the rest of his life. His family and his friend push him to work for the local honey making company where he'll be able to decide what job he wants to. The only catch is once you select your job you're stuck in it for life (sound familiar?). So here he is deciding what he wants to do and an opportunity to work outside and become a honey collector opens up for him. He sees this as a chance of seeing the world before he's shackled to the chains of society and responsibility so he takes it know the risks that are out there. Adding to this he is told before he and the rest of his team set out to watch out for rain and to never talk to humans, because that would just be naughty. So off he goes into the world to collect honey but on his first day out he get end up getting caught in the rain, and bees can't fly in the rain. He stumbles into a family's apartment where he is nearly killed aka squished with a rolled up magazine, luckily Vanessa (voiced by Renee Zellweger) rescues him and sets him free. Completely infatuated by her kindness he thinks the best thing to do is thank her since that was how he was brought up and in doing this be breaks the absolute important rule of not speaking to humans. From here on in it leads into an adventure where even the fate of the world ends up resting on little Barry's shoulders

Personally I wasn't expecting much but what I got was a pretty light-hearted family aimed comedy. It goes for making fun at pop culture references which most of the time works and seems to have been a bit of a CG animation trend over the past how many years especially from Dreamworks. I found myself doing what Barry did and fancying Vanessa aswell which is probably the second ever time I've found Renne Zellweger anywhere near remotely fit outside of Jerry Maguire (that was a long time ago, a man can make mistakes). Renee Zellweger does ditzy well and personally thought she adds to the humour. As a comedy I thought it was alright, not the best comedy and especially not the best CG animated film by a mile but it squeezed a few consistent laughs out of me and it passes the time so it did it's job. It does make me wonder what the hell was going through the heads of the suits at Dreamworks when they're producing films like this and dropping Aardman Animations; it's not to say this was shit but to further state there are better films out there of this calibre. The story was pretty silly but than I wasn't expecting a documentary on the process of honey making neither. All the characters are likeable which is important... I say if you see the DVD one day and the price is looking attractively cheap then it wouldn't hurt giving it a watch. By it for someone young in your family or secretly buy it for yourself and then give it to them later as a present because I can guarantee you won't want to watch it again

Edit: Oh yeah, and about Jerry Seinfeld? Yeah he was funny in this. I don't feel the urge to catch up on old Seinfeld episodes though to catch up on his jokes. Friends already sucked all my energy and enthusiasm for 90s sitcoms out of me long ago
post edited by .Exit - 2009/02/20 19:34:51
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 18:46:12 (permalink)
I didn't know it was by Seinfeld. I don really get on with modern CGI animations, not that i think they are bad,  i just dont feel compelled to make an effort to see them. Pure TV films for me, if they're on and ive got nothing to do i'll watch and they are usually entertaining. I still think Toy Story is the only TRULEY good one as a stand alone film.
.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 19:49:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

I didn't know it was by Seinfeld. I don really get on with modern CGI animations, not that i think they are bad,  i just dont feel compelled to make an effort to see them. Pure TV films for me, if they're on and ive got nothing to do i'll watch and they are usually entertaining. I still think Toy Story is the only TRULEY good one as a stand alone film.

Only Toy Story? I'll agree with there being some absolutely soulless and hollow, and to put it bluntly, fucking shit CG films put out over the years as if film companies feel the need to churn them out simply for the novelty that they're done by computer and not because they have a decent story, but you're playing down a lot of pretty good films as well I reckon. I mean Pixar have pretty much smacked it when it comes to storytelling as far as I'm concerned. They make better films then most people, animated or not. I always thought Toy Story 2 was one of those few films to be better then the original, and what about Finding Nemo and The Incredibles (which was just blatantly an adult film dressed up as a kids movie, fucking love that film). To a lesser extent Monsters Inc. and maybe even Shrek... and maybe even Renaissance at a massive stretch. I keep reading how people thought Wall-E should've been nominated for Best Picture its apparently that good. There's definitely some genuinely quality CG films out there though I would agree they are few and far between
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/20 22:58:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: .Exit

Only Toy Story? I'll agree with there being some absolutely soulless and hollow, and to put it bluntly, fucking shit CG films put out over the years as if film companies feel the need to churn them out simply for the novelty that they're done by computer and not because they have a decent story, but you're playing down a lot of pretty good films as well I reckon. I mean Pixar have pretty much smacked it when it comes to storytelling as far as I'm concerned. They make better films then most people, animated or not. I always thought Toy Story 2 was one of those few films to be better then the original, and what about Finding Nemo and The Incredibles (which was just blatantly an adult film dressed up as a kids movie, fucking love that film). To a lesser extent Monsters Inc. and maybe even Shrek... and maybe even Renaissance at a massive stretch. I keep reading how people thought Wall-E should've been nominated for Best Picture its apparently that good. There's definitely some genuinely quality CG films out there though I would agree they are few and far between

I guess i am a little harsh to cgi films, i dont know what it is, i just cant get on with them . I still prefer old hand drawn disney to newer cgi animations. Toy Story is the only one i really like, i guess cos it was so original. Newer CGI animations i find a bit samey but i am a bit dismissive with the genre as a whole, its just not for me i guess.
silentjob
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/21 08:50:37 (permalink)

CGI films piss me off too to be honest. dont knwo why?! -  Just think its cheating, I suppose thats why I still buss my 35mm camera as opposed to a digi camera.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/21 14:12:34 (permalink)
i can appreciate a good manga film as it has similar..er...whats the word...mis en scene?? to a real film. The animation is made to look like a film so you can appreciate the simulation of good cinematography but CGI films are always so eager to show off how flash and technically advanced they are that the actual sim cinematography is rubbish and nothing like a real film. I think that’s why I cant appreciate them as films, they are something different to me, they are a different medium rather than a different genre. In my onion
Kris
  • Total Posts : 16348
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 18:28:59 (permalink)
/
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:23:35

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 19:39:54 (permalink)
i never know what to suggest with comedies
Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 19:53:04 (permalink)
Penelope Cruz is unbelievably fit - I'm even considering watching 'Vanilla Sky' tonight cos of her involvement, despite it looking extremely uninteresting. I saw 'All about My Mother' recently and I thought that was brilliant, I won't venture to write an in-depth review at the moment, though.

Wacky comedies - try 'The Man with Two Brains' if you can. I watched it again recently and was laughing consistently through the whole thing. Has that intelligent/stupid balance just about right.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 20:00:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Corpsey

Penelope Cruz is unbelievably fit - I'm even considering watching 'Vanilla Sky' tonight cos of her involvement, despite it looking extremely uninteresting. I saw 'All about My Mother' recently and I thought that was brilliant, I won't venture to write an in-depth review at the moment, though.

Wacky comedies - try 'The Man with Two Brains' if you can. I watched it again recently and was laughing consistently through the whole thing. Has that intelligent/stupid balance just about right.

is that an early steve martin film? with the brains in the jar? some fucking funny moments in that if its the film i think it is.

MuNz
  • Total Posts : 24892
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 20:14:22 (permalink)
Just watched Collateral with Tom Cruise,Jamie Foxx in.Not bad actually.Bit predictable towards the end tho

Cillit
  • Total Posts : 7578
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 20:19:15 (permalink)
Anyone seen Waltz with Bashir? Is it actually as good as they say?

Cartoon type films are usually shit, skanner darkly was annoying I thought. But is this worth a watch?

.Exit
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 20:20:35 (permalink)
I'd say watch Coming To America purely because it's my favourite comedy of all time. Little Miss Sunshine is funny as fuck and There's Something About Mary is a bit of a classic as well but I bet you've already seen that

I hate that film with a passion. All Cameron Crowe did with that film was take Abre Los Ojos and film it scene for scene and at the same time rip any remaining soul out of the original and sugar coat it the only way Hollywood can. Then add the fact Tom Cruise is annoying as fuck in it and Penelope Cruz isn't anywhere as sharp in this as she was in the original and overall I personally think it's a rubbish film... and she doesn't look as good in this as she does in the original either if that helps you decide whether to watch it or not. Didn't think Vanilla Sky was anywhere near as disturbing as the original either... maybe I just hate Vanilla Sky because it's just another Hollywood remake, and being a lazy remake that lacks any original imagination as well... I dunno... yeah, I'll shut up now

P.S. Go watch the original
post edited by .Exit - 2009/02/22 20:21:41
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/22 20:21:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cillit

Anyone seen Waltz with Bashir? Is it actually as good as they say?

Cartoon type films are usually shit, skanner darkly was annoying I thought. But is this worth a watch?

i really wanna see it but i didnt mind 'A scanner.. '

animation looks quite different tho
silentjob
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 05:16:14 (permalink)

'The Man with Two Brains'

is that an early steve martin film? with the brains in the jar? some fucking funny moments in that if its the film i think it is.

when he shaves her pubes into a heart shape, coz hes operating on her on valentines day?!

also - the three amigo's - Chase, Martin and Little - funny as fuck
Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 11:04:31 (permalink)

I half-watched 'Vanilla Sky' last night - dear oh dear. That's my review.

Yeah 'The Man With Two Brains' is Steve Martin. I like the bit where the mad scientist offers him a drink which has a really long straw
post edited by Corpsey - 2009/02/23 11:07:19

Miss SD
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 13:23:37 (permalink)
I watched Stalker last night.

I'm really sorry I will get laughed at but, I really struggled with it.  I am prepared to give anything a go but this was obviously way above my intelligence levels.  I have done some research on imbd and I know that there are probably many hidden meanings in this film and if someone could let me know roughly what those were, i would be grateful.

Yes, way out of my comfort zone - sorry!!

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 16:06:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Miss SD

I'm really sorry I will get laughed at but, I really struggled with it.  I am prepared to give anything a go but this was obviously way above my intelligence levels.  I have done some research on imbd and I know that there are probably many hidden meanings in this film and if someone could let me know roughly what those were, i would be grateful.

lol - this is pretty much how you are meant to feel after watching this film imo, its meanings and themes are open for interpretation and very diffuse.
I only watched it once but what i got from it was on top of the actual story of the stalker leading the scientist and writer through the zone to the room where their deepest wishes will come true there is this metaphorical story of people making a journey to understand themselves and existence. The room that grants wishes is almost an evaluation of their character, the wish is governed by your deepest sub-conscious and there for defines who you are beyond your waking thoughts, thus the room gives a person a true insight into the meaning of their own life and defines who they are in an existential sense. The room itself is riddled with weapons, money, broken industrial machinery, religious artifacts, syringes and drugs, the place is strewn with symbols of human attempts to give themselves meaning and purpose, symbols of obsession, addiction, desire, creativity, self preservation, possibly all words that could be applied to the meaning of existence in some sense.

The fucked up thing is what happens in 'the room' can be a bad thing, in the film they talk of a person who went to the room and came back incredibly wealthy and then committed suicide a week later obviously destroyed by the knowledge that all he truly wanted subconsiously was money when maybe his conscious longed for something less material and more spiritually for fulfilling. This shows that the nature of these questions asked by humankind, why are we here? what is the meaning of life? are almost dangerous, the answer to these questions could drive you to insanity or death, the perils of pondering such high brow philisophical points are brought to physical form with in the zone and the journey to find meaning and answers about ones self and existence are presented as an actual physical journey through an unsafe area 'the zone' to the answer 'the room'.

but then even on top of all this we have the questions about how real the zone is! there is nothing to suggest in the film that the zone is anything more than  delapidated area in the countryside, nothing other than the characters feelings, there is much doubt through out about whether there is any real danger in the zone, whether the room can do anythig at all, we even at one point see the men lying in the industrial area from the start of the film whilst sleeping in the zone which could mean the zone is not a physical place at all and the entire journey is made with in the mens minds. fuck. im just gonna shut up, cos i could seriously just waffle on for pages and pages about what stalker is about - the bottom line is, like most deep philisophically themed books/films there is no right or wrong answer and what ever you get from the film is as valid as anything else, the purpose of the film is to make people think, in a sense the film is just about thinking.

Papa_Wiego
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 16:07:20 (permalink)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

anyone seen this before? didnt know bout that!

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/23 16:14:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Papa_Wiego

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU

anyone seen this before? didnt know bout that!

thats mental, fair play to brando and little feather
Miss SD
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/24 15:23:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Miss SD

I'm really sorry I will get laughed at but, I really struggled with it.  I am prepared to give anything a go but this was obviously way above my intelligence levels.  I have done some research on imbd and I know that there are probably many hidden meanings in this film and if someone could let me know roughly what those were, i would be grateful.

lol - this is pretty much how you are meant to feel after watching this film imo, its meanings and themes are open for interpretation and very diffuse.
I only watched it once but what i got from it was on top of the actual story of the stalker leading the scientist and writer through the zone to the room where their deepest wishes will come true there is this metaphorical story of people making a journey to understand themselves and existence. The room that grants wishes is almost an evaluation of their character, the wish is governed by your deepest sub-conscious and there for defines who you are beyond your waking thoughts, thus the room gives a person a true insight into the meaning of their own life and defines who they are in an existential sense. The room itself is riddled with weapons, money, broken industrial machinery, religious artifacts, syringes and drugs, the place is strewn with symbols of human attempts to give themselves meaning and purpose, symbols of obsession, addiction, desire, creativity, self preservation, possibly all words that could be applied to the meaning of existence in some sense.

The fucked up thing is what happens in 'the room' can be a bad thing, in the film they talk of a person who went to the room and came back incredibly wealthy and then committed suicide a week later obviously destroyed by the knowledge that all he truly wanted subconsiously was money when maybe his conscious longed for something less material and more spiritually for fulfilling. This shows that the nature of these questions asked by humankind, why are we here? what is the meaning of life? are almost dangerous, the answer to these questions could drive you to insanity or death, the perils of pondering such high brow philisophical points are brought to physical form with in the zone and the journey to find meaning and answers about ones self and existence are presented as an actual physical journey through an unsafe area 'the zone' to the answer 'the room'.

but then even on top of all this we have the questions about how real the zone is! there is nothing to suggest in the film that the zone is anything more than  delapidated area in the countryside, nothing other than the characters feelings, there is much doubt through out about whether there is any real danger in the zone, whether the room can do anythig at all, we even at one point see the men lying in the industrial area from the start of the film whilst sleeping in the zone which could mean the zone is not a physical place at all and the entire journey is made with in the mens minds. fuck. im just gonna shut up, cos i could seriously just waffle on for pages and pages about what stalker is about - the bottom line is, like most deep philisophically themed books/films there is no right or wrong answer and what ever you get from the film is as valid as anything else, the purpose of the film is to make people think, in a sense the film is just about thinking.

Yes now youve said that I get it (was getting slightly lost towards the end)  but the fact I need someone to spell it out to me doesnt bode well.

At least I gave it a go tho!
watching mutant chronicles tonight...i havent got high hopes...
Asian Babe
  • Total Posts : 10951
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/24 16:31:28 (permalink)
The Wrestler was superb. I absolutely love this film.
Watched an oldish film called Bent the other day about gays in the holocaust - was really really good.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 489
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0