Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..491492493494495.. > >> Showing page 492 of 513
Author
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3766
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/15 15:12:31 (permalink)
not given it a great deal of thought but the first few that spring to mind for me

the place beyond the pines
ex machina
the lobster
nightcrawler
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 95007
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/15 16:13:01 (permalink)
1. Blade Runner 2049
2. Mad Max Fury Road
3. Django Unchained
4. Life of Pi
5. Rogue One

Honourable mentions to Shutter Island, Force Awakens, Arrival, Sicario, Planet of The Apes trilogy, Kubo, Zootropolis. Sure there's loads I'm forgetting tbh.
post edited by RAYZA - 2018/01/15 16:23:09
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 7735
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/15 16:43:30 (permalink)
yeah, all solid picks. do you really like Django that much though? i think it's good but i dunno, i'm not falling myself to watch it again. ditto the Hateful 8

lots of good films over the last seven years... not sure i'd say any of them are all-time classics though

some of my other favs are:

inception
black swan
boyhood
birdman
the revenant
gravity
boy
hunt for wilderpeople
the hunt
the handmaiden
the babadook
x men first class
get out
room
whiplash
the raid
kick ass

and probably all denis villeneuve's films tbh
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4322
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/15 18:27:38 (permalink)
1, Embrace of the Serpant
2. A Field in England
3. Exmachina
4.The Tree of Life
5. Melancholia

Probably forgot loads.

JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 11049
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/15 19:33:04 (permalink)
Three billboards looks alright
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 8515
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 00:23:42 (permalink)
the Hateful Eight was one most boring films ive ever watched. 

Django was good until the last 20-30 mins. Film should have ended after the first big shoot out.Just dragged on a bit after that.

MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17365
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 08:58:09 (permalink)
Everything you'd want from a zombie B Movie with Robert Englund & Jenna Jameson, thanks Horror Channel 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 5173
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 09:50:11 (permalink)
^ That's Jenna Jameson?? She looks like a different person. 
Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 09:55:33 (permalink)
JUDGEDREDD
Three billboards looks alright

For a film that's pretty dark in terms of subject matter (rape, racism etc), it's somehow quite lighthearted.
One of the best films I've watched for a while. The three main leads are all very good.
MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 17365
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 09:59:01 (permalink)
DJModus
^ That's Jenna Jameson?? She looks like a different person. 

10 years ago + photoshop 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
_Modus_
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/16 10:10:14 (permalink)
In no particular order

Spotlight
Dogtooth
Four Lions
The Hunt
Whiplash 

... Have probably missed some weirder ones that don't show up on IMDB / Rotten Toms. 

Not the best decade imo. I don't think those 5 films wouldn't even get into my all time top 50.

There Will Be Blood is by far my favourite film of recent times, but isn't quite the last decade.  
gavinx
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/17 09:31:45 (permalink)
good article about 2018's slate: https://www.avclub.com/the-a-v-club-s-50-most-anticipated-movies-of-2018-1822091007

one caught my eye: The Meg
From the director of National Treasure and the screenwriter of Zodiac comes a 3-D horror film that pits Jason Statham against a giant fucking prehistoric shark...

liking the poster tbh https://i0.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/meg222.jpg 
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12791
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/17 09:41:44 (permalink)
fonik
went to see darkest hour last night

gary oldman is quality, as is ben mendelsohn. the storyline with his typist was a little superfluous and the scene on the underground was ridiculous & cringe but overall it was decent albeit nothing spectacular

as a nation we're never gonna let the war go, which is fair enough i suppose, but cant help but see these films as some weird propaganda. it does work though as in all honesty it does make me feel proud of what we did. sad to see what a sorry state the country is in these days compared to what it used to be

In a strange sort of way our obsession with our country's conduct during 1940 is a big reason for many of the UK's problems, that incessant comparison with the myth and finding ourselves inadequate in some way. It's a weird legacy

gavinx
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/18 16:44:24 (permalink)
brawl in cell block 99 was excellent. much better than i was even expecting. probably the best i've ever seen vince vaughn tbh
gavinx
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 10:34:44 (permalink)
some info on the new Tarantino film, set in the late 60s in the midst of the manson family murders
http://www.darkhorizons.com/details-on-dicaprios-new-tarantino-film-role/

LDC is the lead, with Tom Cruise and Al Pacino rumoured to co-star.

Reports suggest that Margot Robbie is going to play Sharon Tate, who was Roman Polanksi's wife at the time, and was killed by the family... lots of speculation that in the film though she might survive and plot her revenge on charlie and the gang

If you've never read up on manson, you should. he was utterly batshit crazy. all the helter skelter stuff is properly mental
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15138
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 14:36:18 (permalink)
Been enjoying catching up on a few 70s thrillers recently, golden age and all that.

The Day of the Jackal, All The Presidents Men, and Sorcerer are sick.

Sorcerer is mad. There's one scene involving a truck driving over a knackered rope bridge in a monsoon that is just insane considering there was no CGI back then, easily the most dangerous thing I've seen in a movie.

Anyone got any 70s recommendations? Conspiracy thrillers in particular. I really need to see Marathon Man and The Conversation.
_Modus_
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 16:18:54 (permalink)
70s really was the pinnacle I reckon.

Watched Network again this week. Absolute flawless masterpiece. 
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16794
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 16:22:07 (permalink)
DJModus

Went to see the theatre production of Network the other day at National theatre. Starring bryan Cranston. Was fucking sublime. Did the film justice and Walter White smashed it
Stoopid_Fux
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 16:59:24 (permalink)
One my favourite films of alltime. 
Great film and amazing acting. But i'm not sure i could watch it now. Trump in general has pretty much surpassed anything in 'Network' 
_Modus_
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 17:07:18 (permalink)
dimdum
DJModus

Went to see the theatre production of Network the other day at National theatre. Starring bryan Cranston. Was fucking sublime. Did the film justice and Walter White smashed it

Yeah I really want to see this. 

It's one of the best written films ever imo. The speech your man gives to Diana at the end is so ridiculously good:

"There's nothing left in you that I can live with. You're one of Howard's humanoids. If I stay with you, I'll be destroyed. Like Howard Beale was destroyed. Like Laureen Hobbs was destroyed. Like everything you and the institution of television touch is destroyed. You're television incarnate, Diana: Indifferent to suffering; insensitive to joy. All of life is reduced to the common rubble of banality. War, murder, death are all the same to you as bottles of beer. And the daily business of life is a corrupt comedy. You even shatter the sensations of time and space into split seconds and instant replays. You're madness, Diana. Virulent madness. And everything you touch dies with you."
_Modus_
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 17:16:08 (permalink)
Also:

I'M A HUMAN BEING GOD DAMN IT! MY LIFE HAS VALUE!
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 5040
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 17:17:21 (permalink)
Fuck forgot that was on.
Stoopid_Fux
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 17:25:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby _Modus_ 2018/01/20 11:32:43
We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr. Beale. The world is a collage of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable by-laws of business. The world is a business, Mr. Beale; it has been since man crawled out of the slime
Postman Pat
Re: RE: Film reviews 2018/01/19 17:37:59 (permalink)
Edit. Derp.
post edited by Postman Pat - 2018/01/19 17:39:27
Stoopid_Fux
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 17:54:01 (permalink)
DJModus
Also:

I'M A HUMAN BEING GOD DAMN IT! MY LIFE HAS VALUE!

Is funny how he goes from saying stuff like that to "It's the individual that is finished."
and "Is dehumanization such a bad thing?"

dimdum
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 18:00:30 (permalink)
The show is sold out but still possible to get tickets from the Friday rush thing they do. Check national Theatre site

Honestly. It was something else. Never go to theatre really but the stage production values was out of this world. So immersive and when you add in top gun acting then baby, you got yourself a show.
DrKevorkian
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 19:11:25 (permalink)
I stumbled across Network about 3 or 4 years ago and can remember thinking I'd never seen anything quite like it and I haven't done since either. Faye Dunaway as well, jheeze.

Stoopid_Fux
One my favourite films of alltime. 
Great film and amazing acting. But i'm not sure i could watch it now. Trump in general has pretty much surpassed anything in 'Network' 

Trump gets a couple of clear shout outs in the stage production, as you might expect. That film was so far ahead of it's time.
post edited by DrKevorkian - 2018/01/19 19:15:44
gavinx
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 22:12:21 (permalink)
Postman Pat
Been enjoying catching up on a few 70s thrillers recently, golden age and all that.

Sorcerer is mad. There's one scene involving a truck driving over a knackered rope bridge in a monsoon that is just insane considering there was no CGI back then, easily the most dangerous thing I've seen in a movie.

Anyone got any 70s recommendations? Conspiracy thrillers in particular. I really need to see Marathon Man and The Conversation.

yeah, i love this era of hollywood

the two you've mentioned are class, and network is even better

other great 70s thrillers  to check out in general (and you've probably seen some of them already): dog day afternoon, straw dogs, don't look now, chinatown, deliverance, get carter, long good friday, assault on precinct 13, the odessa file

specific conspiracy thrillers: three days of the condor, the parallax view, the boys from brazil
Postman Pat
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 22:36:35 (permalink)
gavinx
Postman Pat

yeah, i love this era of hollywood

the two you've mentioned are class, and network is even better

other great 70s thrillers  to check out in general (and you've probably seen some of them already): dog day afternoon, straw dogs, don't look now, chinatown, deliverance, get carter, long good friday, assault on precinct 13, the odessa file

specific conspiracy thrillers: three days of the condor, the parallax view, the boys from brazil

Nice one

Network is definitely on the list, it's on Netflix right now just not got round to watching it yet...

Not seen Don't Look Now or any of those last 3 so will check them out for sure.
dimdum
Re: Film News + Reviews 2018/01/19 22:55:29 (permalink)
Check out The Outfit. Robert Duvall. Proper 70s crime/hiest/revenge film

70s had the classics too, One flew over cuckoos nest, deer hunter and of course one of my favourite films

APOCALYPSE NOW
Page: << < ..491492493494495.. > >> Showing page 492 of 513
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0