Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..481482483484485.. > >> Showing page 482 of 488
Author
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16385
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/27 17:58:53 (permalink)
Inherent Vice. It's on Netflix and I love all of Paul Thomas Anderson films but this...I just didn't know what was going on. I pretended I did but at the end I just concluded it doesn't deserve a re-watch to get the "second time round" feeling. Just badly told I think

So I put on

Gold. Pretty good Matthew McCaunghey film about hitting a gold rush in Indonesia. Very similar to make it rich films like Wolf of Wall Street or (film I can't think of). Made up for Inherent Vice
Buscemi Eyes
  • Total Posts : 2952
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/27 22:58:29 (permalink)
Griff
He seems like he'd be a good fit on Flight of the Conchords

Genius
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/28 17:32:21 (permalink)
Thor Ragnarok - 8.5/10

Taika Waititi of Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Flight of the Conchords fame brings his madcap, off-beat humour to the MCU and injects the franchise with a fresh dose of humour. This is the third brilliant Marvel film of 2017 after Guardians 2 and Spiderman: Homecoming. Marvel just keep knocking it out of the park with every film and long may it continue.

This is one of the most quotable comedies I've seen for a while. Not only is Waititi's direction fantastic but his character steals every scene he's in. The films is packed with loads of subtle references to loads of different things and the pacing is perfect. It almost felt like a live action episode of Rick & Morty at times and I particularly enjoyed the subtle Rick Sanchez reference. 

I just thought the whole thing was brilliant. Cate Blanchett is instantly one of the franchise's best villains. Goldblum was used sparingly and effectively. Ruffalo put in his best performance as Hulk so far. The Thor action scenes were easily the best of his three films so far. 

It's great to see a director like Waititi given so much freedom on a franchise film like this. Disney keep sacking directors for not fitting in with their Star Wars vision but Marvel are quite happy to let indie directors fulfill their vision and take risks. If you're a fan of any of his previous films like What We Do in the Shadows or Wilderpeople, you will enjoy this. 

post edited by Hector Savage - 2017/10/28 17:33:30
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 7650
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/28 20:29:51 (permalink)
Saw Candyman on TV last night. I had seen before but many years ago . 
Its alright. Didn't realise it was a Clive Barker story until end credits roled. 

Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/28 20:40:08 (permalink)
Also noticed the music score for it has been sampled by a few which i didn't realise until last night was done by Phillip Glass. 
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91571
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 18:51:22 (permalink)
i usually watch one horror film a year these days at Halloween, i'm thinking this year it's going to be Don't Breathe or Get Out, which one should i go for?
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6569
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 19:04:32 (permalink)
Don't Breathe

Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 19:58:44 (permalink)
Get Out

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 20:02:23 (permalink)
well that's that sorted then
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 21:00:52 (permalink)
Don't Breathe is fucking shit. Get Out is one of the best films so far this year.

Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6569
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 21:26:41 (permalink)
MaxPower
Don't Breathe is fucking shit. Get Out is one of the best films so far this year.

Get Out is decent, but most certainly not one of the best films this year.

Grade
  • Total Posts : 18065
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 21:58:08 (permalink)
Artical Don
MaxPower

Get Out is decent, but most certainly not one of the best films this year.

This
It's a good film, but don't expect it to be the life changing masterpiece that it's been hyped up to be

Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11271
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 22:09:45 (permalink)

Griff
He seems like he'd be a good fit on Flight of the Conchords, that dry NZ type of humour is brilliant

He's a writer/director for Flight of the Conchords. Guy's a legend. You should check out his films, What We Do In The Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople in particular. I liked Boy but didn't find it as good as the aforementioned. WWDITS is fucking hilarious

post edited by Shiverman - 2017/10/29 22:12:42
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 22:09:50 (permalink)
Grade

life changing masterpiece

That is very far-fetched tbf

Get Out has more lols than scares. I was really impressed.
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4835
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 22:44:29 (permalink)
dimdum
Inherent Vice. It's on Netflix and I love all of Paul Thomas Anderson films but this...I just didn't know what was going on. I pretended I did but at the end I just concluded it doesn't deserve a re-watch to get the "second time round" feeling. Just badly told I think

So I put on

Gold. Pretty good Matthew McCaunghey film about hitting a gold rush in Indonesia. Very similar to make it rich films like Wolf of Wall Street or (film I can't think of). Made up for Inherent Vice

Inherent Vice was all over the fucking shop.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 2924
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 22:52:41 (permalink)
Razor
i usually watch one horror film a year these days at Halloween, i'm thinking this year it's going to be Don't Breathe or Get Out, which one should i go for?

Rewatch 28 Days Later. Best British horror this side of the millennium.
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4835
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/29 22:55:28 (permalink)
I've just seen Death of Stalin, although the whole cast is great, Simon Russel Beale is fantastic.
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3565
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 09:32:00 (permalink)
yeh +1 for inherent vice. was a mess. tried very hard to follow but was oblivious most of the time. think i fell asleep half way which doesnt help lol so should probably give it another go. cast is amazing!
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 20980
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 09:47:34 (permalink)
Apparently I am 'not romantic' so my gf has been badgering me for the last 2 years to watch The Notebook.. "for some tips" 

It is watchable though... I thought it would be absolute hell and despite forcing myself to doze off through the first half an hour it wasn't as horrendous as I thought it would be overall. They both die at the end too which was a pleasant surprise. 

3/10 

Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 12:06:54 (permalink)
Been getting into the Halloween vibe...

Poltergeist (1982) - 6/10

This is a very strange film to watch in this day and age. It was released as a PG in the States but it was reclassified as a 15 here for the UK release and it one of the softest horror films I've ever seen.

For a supposed horror film, this actually has that typical 80's Spielberg vibe that you get from films like E.T or The Goonies. The score is almost uplifting and it contrasts against the scary elements of the film.

It's interesting from a film making perspective and their are some well crafted practical effects as well as some mixed quality computer graphics. Overall its just too dated.

The Guest - 8 / 10

A fun thriller/horror that is set at Halloween and features a stand out performance from Dan Stevens who steals every scene. Seen this a couple of times now and it is a very entertaining, tongue-in-cheek throwback film that you don't often see these days. The 80's soundtrack/score is well worth seeking out and fans of Stranger Things who like that retro vibe will enjoy this.

Halloween 3: Season of the Witch 7 / 10

AKA 'the one without Mike Myers'.

A proper cult classic and one of the most underrated scores I've ever heard on a horror film. The opening titles seem to be the main inspiration for the Stranger Things theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BICyGaJRT18

The acting is ropey and the plot is mental but its just such an interesting direction to take the franchise. The fact that audiences hated it and demanded Mike Myers return for the 4th proves that cinema audiences have been mongs for a long time.

The jingle from THAT advert will haunt your dreams.

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8.5 / 10

Still an enjoyable classic. Love all the surrealist stuff and the dream sequences. The way the parents are written is still as intentionally infuriating as ever.  The Home Alone traps at the end are a bit stupid but this still holds up really well.
Me_Kick_Out_Teet
  • Total Posts : 20980
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 12:09:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Captain Diabetes 2017/10/31 08:10:17
Nightmare in Thame part 12 - Doughtys revenge

The part where he plagues an Internet forum where no one likes him or listens to him was a bit long winded but they win by ignoring him constantly. 8/10
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4471
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 13:39:34 (permalink)
MaxPower
Been getting into the Halloween vibe...

Poltergeist (1982) - 6/10

This is a very strange film to watch in this day and age. It was released as a PG in the States but it was reclassified as a 15 here for the UK release and it one of the softest horror films I've ever seen.

For a supposed horror film, this actually has that typical 80's Spielberg vibe that you get from films like E.T or The Goonies. The score is almost uplifting and it contrasts against the scary elements of the film.

It's interesting from a film making perspective and their are some well crafted practical effects as well as some mixed quality computer graphics. Overall its just too dated.

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 8.5 / 10

Still an enjoyable classic. Love all the surrealist stuff and the dream sequences. The way the parents are written is still as intentionally infuriating as ever.  The Home Alone traps at the end are a bit stupid but this still holds up really well.

Watched both of these recently. Poltergeist is definitely a weird one. It's got a few moments which are dark as fuck ... like the guy pulling his face apart in the mirror and the woman stuck in the bog with the skeletons near the end. But about 80% of it plays out like a cheesy family flick. 

Nightmare on Elm St is a classic. Not particularly scary these days, but such a quality idea. Love the bit where she's running upstairs and her feet start plunging through the steps. 

What do you mean about the parents' dialogue being "intentionally infuriating"? Was it Wes Craven's intention to make them act like they're in a daytime TV drama - or do you mean just how inept they are at heeding the warnings of their daughter?
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 13:53:11 (permalink)
Saw Poltergeist last night too - was on Film Four or something
Not very good.

Poltergeist 2 is a better film if remember correctly. 

Also saw Fright Night - which was another 80s film that was on TV last night- horror comedy . It was OK. 
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 13:57:25 (permalink)
DJModus

What do you mean about the parents' dialogue being "intentionally infuriating"? Was it Wes Craven's intention to make them act like they're in a daytime TV drama - or do you mean just how inept they are at heeding the warnings of their daughter?

That's what I meant. Your daughter just pulled Freddy Kruegers hat out of a dream and your advice is "It's just a bad dream hunnie" FFS. Nancy's Dad promised that he'd be there at 12:30 as well. Cunts.

7 films on bluray for £12.99 though. Bargain.
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:01:56 (permalink)
MaxPower
DJModus

That's what I meant. Your daughter just pulled Freddy Kruegers hat out of a dream and your advice is "It's just a bad dream hunnie" FFS. Nancy's Dad promised that he'd be there at 12:30 as well. Cunts.

7 films on bluray for £12.99 though. Bargain.

Yeah they're proper shit parents. 

At least teenage Johnny Depp gets some serious comeuppance for falling asleep. Such a ridiculously over the top death. It's wonderful. 
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:05:36 (permalink)
the 2010(?) Nightmare On Elm Street remake was really bad. think it flopped pretty hard. 
_Modus_
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:09:08 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
the 2010(?) Nightmare On Elm Street remake was really bad. think it flopped pretty hard. 

Such a pointless film to remake. One of the reasons it's so good is because it has that low budget 80s charm.
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:20:26 (permalink)
the remake was so bland and non-descript i cant even remember much about it apart from it was not good. 
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:29:26 (permalink)
Remaking Elm Street with Freddy as an actual Simon Weston-esque burn victim B2B with giving him a full on, ambiguity free paedo back story is a work of sheer genius.

What the hell were they thinking?!

RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/10/30 14:56:47 (permalink)
The need to go back and give everything a back story and answer all the mysteries hardly ever works, one of the reasons Blade Runner 2049 works so well is that they left the mysteries open, and possibly one of the reasons it under performed? Stupid people need everything explained.
Page: << < ..481482483484485.. > >> Showing page 482 of 488
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0