Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..476477478479480.. > >> Showing page 478 of 481
Author
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 7431
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 15:13:21 (permalink)
Jungle Dave

Temple of Doom was a weird film and not the right tone for a kids film really. 

Thats pretty much what Speilberg has said. He said he thought it was too dark. 

Don't really get it myself. Theres not that big of difference between Temple , Raiders or Last Crusade really in tone. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11600
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 15:18:30 (permalink)
Domino
The heart scene and monkey brains was fucking harrowing as a child... I remember going to school and everyone was re-enacting removing each other's heart... Still loved it though

I remember watching it with my old dears, they both quite enjoyed Raiders, and were baffled by the nasty tone of "Temple of Doom"- the evil darkies eating monkey brains and enslaving each other, ripping bits out of each other, all the while being accompanied by Spielberg's wife screeching like a harpy. I remember feeling a bit embarrassed by it all. 

And yet... that opening scene with the poison/antidote/revolving table is such a fucking badass movie moment. Props to David Yip repping the UK also, for about two minutes. Pity Spielberg couldn't keep this kind of tight work going for the duration. 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 15:21:19 (permalink)
Stoopid_Fux
Jungle Dave

Temple of Doom was a weird film and not the right tone for a kids film really. 

Thats pretty much what Speilberg has said. He said he thought it was too dark. 

Don't really get it myself. Theres not that big of difference between Temple , Raiders or Last Crusade really in tone. 

The Raiders thing has gore, but it has that nice "Nazis" category to shove it all in. At the end of the day, they bombed my Nan, and no-one is going to let them get away with that. 

The (anachronistic) elevation of the Thuggee cult as a potential nemesis is blundering through the minefield of sloppy racist tropes from the off

Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2708
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 15:27:12 (permalink)
The Indiana Jones and Back To The Future films kinda passed me by as a kid. I've seen most of them and remember liking them, but I was always more obsessive about Goonies, Turtles, Thundercats, Star Wars etc...

I keep meaning to get the box sets and watch them all through. Do the IJ films stand the test of time? Will I enjoy them as an adult without the nostalgia factor?
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 16:46:39 (permalink)
MaxPower

I keep meaning to get the box sets and watch them all through. Do the IJ films stand the test of time? Will I enjoy them as an adult without the nostalgia factor?

Yes.
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6726
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 16:47:12 (permalink)
yeah, i just find Temple of Doom a bit weird. it's dated badly (those funny barbarians with their dark skin and monkey brains!) and the acting is terrible. the women and kid are also appallingly written. her chemistry with Indy is completely non-existent... makes you realise how brilliant him and Marian are together in the first one

the KALI MA scene onwards is obviously pretty rip-roaring stuff though

i saw Raiders in imax a few years ago and it was sensational. true 10/10 that i could watch any day of the year.
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 16:51:37 (permalink)

RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 90577
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 16:54:16 (permalink)
MaxPower
The Indiana Jones and Back To The Future films kinda passed me by as a kid. I've seen most of them and remember liking them, but I was always more obsessive about Goonies, Turtles, Thundercats, Star Wars etc...

They are still good, i watched them all for the first time last year. I think maybe i found the 3rd the least good because i watched them all in a week and was a bit burnt out on them by then. The first one is by far the best. 
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 16:59:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mulla 2017/09/13 10:56:42
BTTF 1 and 2 are masterpieces (i think i actually prefer the second one, slightly) but i'm not that into the third. it's a bit sillier, a bit soppier, not particularly funny, and it sort of hits all the exact same beats as the first film, just in the wild west. still some great moments though.
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 8974
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 22:26:27 (permalink)
Just saw T2 3D at the BFI Imax. So sick. Forgot how good that cinema was. The sound is nuts.
You don't realise quite how shit that ginger kid's mullet is until you've seen it in 3D.

£18.50 though LOL
tuffers.ro
  • Total Posts : 1562
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 22:28:22 (permalink)
Razor
MaxPower

They are still good, i watched them all for the first time last year. I think maybe i found the 3rd the least good because i watched them all in a week and was a bit burnt out on them by then. The first one is by far the best. 

How have you only just got round to watching IJ considering your love for Harrison?

Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 22:51:46 (permalink)
Yeh not sure how Razor managed not to see any Indiana Jones films until last year. 
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/05 22:57:40 (permalink)
I saw bits of them when they were on TV but never properly watched them all the way through
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/06 15:30:31 (permalink)
IT has been getting great reviews
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/06 15:38:36 (permalink)
Cool. Might check it out this weekend. 
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 4543
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/06 16:50:08 (permalink)

anyone seen this? it was good! 
The Duck of Death
  • Total Posts : 17615
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/07 08:35:30 (permalink)
DUNE is amazing imo, anyone thinking of watching it should go ahead, and that will be all very nice and good for them as well. I loved it as a kid, watched it recently with a couple of mates who'd never seen it and they loved it.

GET OUT - rubbish. Just watch Society instead
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7376
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/07 08:44:58 (permalink)
Temple of doom is a masterpiece! 

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/07 10:27:27 (permalink)
Horsey Boy
Just watch Society instead

kudos for this reference! don't know many people that have seen it. well worth a look for any body horror fans... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

last 20 minutes are about the most mental in film history!
The Duck of Death
  • Total Posts : 17615
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/11 20:54:39 (permalink)
The Magnificent 7 (the remake) - fucking rubbish
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/11 23:36:06 (permalink)
gavinx
Horsey Boy

kudos for this reference! don't know many people that have seen it. well worth a look for any body horror fans... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

yeh can remember seeing 'Society' the first time randomly on TV when was in my teens and i knew absolutely nothing about it previously. Really was a WTF moment 
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 10:33:21 (permalink)
new Armando Iannucci film out next month. poster here-
https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2017/harry/djmaoqxw0aqdnjx_large.jpg

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 10:52:03 (permalink)
gavinx
Horsey Boy

A mate in halls of residence B.I.T.D. was a big film buff and introduced me to this film. 

Really very good. And a bit grim

Mulla
  • Total Posts : 4555
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 10:58:36 (permalink)
Horsey Boy
DUNE is amazing imo, anyone thinking of watching it should go ahead, and that will be all very nice and good for them as well. I loved it as a kid, watched it recently with a couple of mates who'd never seen it and they loved it.

GET OUT - rubbish. Just watch Society instead

Fucking hell, long time since Ive seen that film! One of the most bizarre films ever. 
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 11:35:21 (permalink)
"well, son, I guess you were right... I am a butthead!"  / 
RAYZA
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 15:58:39 (permalink)
gavinx

http://www.empireonline.c...s/death-stalin/review/

Can't remember the last time I saw a comedy get a perfect score
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4716
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/13 16:01:16 (permalink)
Any of you looking forward to the remaster of Close Encounters? I'm off next week so am probably going to get really mashed then go and see it in a near-empty cinema.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/14 09:00:39 (permalink)
new Pixar trailer... film's called Coco and looks rather good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvomHFZO0mk 
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10973
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/14 10:39:52 (permalink)
Razor
gavinx

http://www.empireonline.c...s/death-stalin/review/

Can't remember the last time I saw a comedy get a perfect score

Fuck yes. Can't wait for this
Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2708
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/09/14 10:43:53 (permalink)
What do you lot think of In The Loop?
Page: << < ..476477478479480.. > >> Showing page 478 of 481
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0