Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..461462463464465.. > >> Showing page 465 of 488
Author
darkmatter
  • Total Posts : 18038
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 10:58:16 (permalink)
The Young Offenders
I wasn't expecting much but it was actually pretty damn good. Eleventeen / XI.

Buscemi Eyes
  • Total Posts : 2952
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 13:50:49 (permalink)
Rudeboysy

Batman vs. Superman - 2/10
Nonsense. Only redeeming thing in it is the bit where it plays the wonder woman music. Poorly conceived standard comic book shite otherwise

Fast and furious 8 - 9/10
Only reason it's not 10 is because there weren't as many bums and tits on display as usual. These films are shite and ridiculous but so enjoyable.

Spot on with BvS. I've never seen a F&F film. Am I really missing out? They look awful.

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8522
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 14:04:39 (permalink)
Watched Misery, never seen it before.  

Fucking great film, Kathy Bates as an absolute nutter is a delight to watch.
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 14:07:36 (permalink)
Kathy Bates is terrifying in that film. Nurse Ratched levels of villainy.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11909
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 14:51:02 (permalink)
Griff

You lucky guy! What an amazing film, I remember when it came out and being blown away. Proper claustrophobic, hardly any players- they could (and did) make a stage play out of it. Caan is also amazing in it, innit? 

That scene where he finds the cuttings chills the blood

Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 15:15:19 (permalink)
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 12/10

I absolutely loved this from start to finish. I had a big cheesy grin on my face for the majority. I'm struggling to think of any elements I didn't like about it. Keaton's Vulture is the best Marvel villain since Hiddlestone's Loki. The supporting cast are great, especially Peter Parker's best mate.

Toby Maguire was a decent Parker and a terrible Spider Man. Garfield was a poor Parker but a decent Spider Man. Tom Holland IS both Peter Parker AND Spider Man. He literally IS him. Perfection.

I loved the way they fleshed out Keaton's character and gave him real motivation and purpose. All the little tie-ins with previous MCU films are great. This is the best example of Marvel paying close attention to detail and cherry-picking things that really work and incorporating them into the film.

This is the perfect Marvel film. Straight into the top tier of comic book films and easily the best Spider Man film. It's really funny as well. As far as Super Hero films go this is as good as it gets imo.

Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2653
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/12 20:39:27 (permalink)
MaxPower
Rudeboysy

Batman vs. Superman - 2/10
Nonsense. Only redeeming thing in it is the bit where it plays the wonder woman music. Poorly conceived standard comic book shite otherwise

Fast and furious 8 - 9/10
Only reason it's not 10 is because there weren't as many bums and tits on display as usual. These films are shite and ridiculous but so enjoyable.

Spot on with BvS. I've never seen a F&F film. Am I really missing out? They look awful.

They are awful, but just so enjoyable. Completely moronic and each one gets more unrealistic. But if you want two hours of pure entertainment then it's great.
Ankle
  • Total Posts : 4635
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 13:01:31 (permalink)
This was alright, 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4062536/

Also rewatched the original Blair Witch Project last night. Still scares the shit out of me tbh. 

That tent scene with the fucking reverse baby sound at 1:03 is too much 

gutlessrhyme
  • Total Posts : 21544
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 13:24:26 (permalink)
Ankle
This was alright, 7/10 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4062536/

Yeah I watched that a few months back. Looked pretty shit but was pleasantly surprised. 
Wasn't sure what to make of Patrick Stewart; I couldn't really deal with him playing that character. Too many preconceptions in my head from everything else he's done.
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4835
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 13:26:52 (permalink)
I rather enjoyed Baby Driver.
Ankle
  • Total Posts : 4635
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 13:28:49 (permalink)
Yeah, very unusual role for him. Not quite as convincing as he could've been but still decent/watchable enough. 

There's another film by the same director which is worth a watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2359024/?ref_=nm_knf_i1

Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 15:06:59 (permalink)
Blue Ruin is sick.

Buzz from Home Alone with the headshot

The director, Jeremy Saulnier, actually calls Murder Party, Blue Ruin & Green Room "The Hapless Protagonist Trilogy"
_Nearly 50 FFS_
  • Total Posts : 15226
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 15:14:59 (permalink)
MaxPower
Spider-Man: Homecoming - 12/10

I absolutely loved this from start to finish. I had a big cheesy grin on my face for the majority. I'm struggling to think of any elements I didn't like about it. Keaton's Vulture is the best Marvel villain since Hiddlestone's Loki. The supporting cast are great, especially Peter Parker's best mate.

Toby Maguire was a decent Parker and a terrible Spider Man. Garfield was a poor Parker but a decent Spider Man. Tom Holland IS both Peter Parker AND Spider Man. He literally IS him. Perfection.

I loved the way they fleshed out Keaton's character and gave him real motivation and purpose. All the little tie-ins with previous MCU films are great. This is the best example of Marvel paying close attention to detail and cherry-picking things that really work and incorporating them into the film.

This is the perfect Marvel film. Straight into the top tier of comic book films and easily the best Spider Man film. It's really funny as well. As far as Super Hero films go this is as good as it gets imo.

Saw this with daughter yesterday, we both felt the same as the above, great fun. You get the sense that as with RD Junior, TH is basically playing himself, that's what he's like.  
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/14 22:20:07 (permalink)
Went and caught Bullit at the cinema. I reckon that Steve McQueen might be one to watch.
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 10:40:19 (permalink)
I also caught The Driver at the weekend. Pretty basic and I can see why it didn't do well at the time and was later a cult success, someone described it as possibly only for noir fans. Dunno about that but it was good. I'd also guess the annoyingly difficult introductory level for Driver on the psx was probably a homage to it.

gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6972
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 11:32:03 (permalink)
watched Blade Runner for the millionth time last night. not sure i'd ever seen the 'final cut' before though. it was amazing, and visually just a treat on blu ray. definitely one of the best films ever made. really, really hope the sequel isn't bilge
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 11:46:58 (permalink)
_binar_

Saw this with daughter yesterday, we both felt the same as the above, great fun. You get the sense that as with RD Junior, TH is basically playing himself, that's what he's like.  

Good stuff. I don't think you can expect much more from Marvel film tbh. They nailed it.

War For The Planet of the Apes - 8.5/10

This completes a solid trilogy. Possibly the best of the lot. Not quite the war film the title suggests but there are big battles/action set pieces.

It's more of an 'epic journey' movie and much of the film is Caesar and his gang traveling from point A to point B. It does drag a little bit at times but it slowly gathers momentum and has a great finale. 'Bad Ape' providing the levity is a great touch and a really likeable character. Woody Harrelson felt a little underwritten but its not a major problem. This movie quite rightly focuses on the apes, much more so than the previous two films.

The CGI/motion capture is jaw-dropping. It is absolutely spot on. I can scarcely believe that they didn't use real monkeys/jungles. Just breath taking. It's not often you watch a film these days and ask yourself how the hell they made it. Serkis and co deserve awards recognition for this. An Oscar nomination would be thoroughly deserved.
post edited by Hector Savage - 2017/07/17 11:49:15
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 11:53:39 (permalink)
gavinx
watched Blade Runner for the millionth time last night. not sure i'd ever seen the 'final cut' before though. it was amazing, and visually just a treat on blu ray. definitely one of the best films ever made. really, really hope the sequel isn't bilge

Aye that and 2001 were the first things I got when I bought a HD telly and bluray.
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3565
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 12:17:37 (permalink)
+1 for blue ruin, great film

watched 'blue jasmine' at the weekend after a tip from a friend. my first ever woody allen film and it was fantastic, cate blanchett is absolutely amazing. great story, great acting, big big thumbs up from me, cant recommend enough
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9042
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 12:27:27 (permalink)
Alien Covenant

Some good action scenes badly joined together by fart sniffing dialogue and two gay robot twins teaching each other to play the flute and kissing
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4470
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 12:35:06 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Griff

You lucky guy! What an amazing film, I remember when it came out and being blown away. Proper claustrophobic, hardly any players- they could (and did) make a stage play out of it. Caan is also amazing in it, innit? 

That scene where he finds the cuttings chills the blood

Yup. Absolute classic horror. I love how gradually things get dark, but how extremely dark things eventually get. 
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 13:11:46 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Alien Covenant

fart sniffing dialogue

Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11269
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 14:00:06 (permalink)
Hacksaw Ridge 0/5. Actually tried really hard to stick with it to get to the war bit, but it was so insufferably bad we had to turn it off around when he was thrown in jail. I love shit films, but this was a whole other level of mawkish, cliche ridden nonsense. Actually fucking dreadful, worst film I can remember watching in years.

The Equaliser. Fucking love this, properly shit/funny. Watched it a couple of times now and the bit where he uses a drill to kill someone, in a series of ever more unnecessary killings was hilarious both times.

John Wick 2. Not as good as the first one, but still decent. Another shit/funny one, got a bit tedious towards the end.
post edited by Shiverman - 2017/07/17 14:02:19
Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 14:37:30 (permalink)
Couldn't even make it through Hacksaw Ridge but 'loved' the equaliser? 

You should've stuck with Ridge. The, as you described, 'mawkishness' of the first hour or so is to create stark contrast between the real world/Doss's personality and the world of war. Or at least that's how I read it. Tbh I'm dreading watching it back because I've seen a lot of critique that echoes what you've said. I do remember sitting in the cinema and thinking the whole boot camp section was 'too nice'. It all made sense as a whole though imo.

Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11269
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 15:01:21 (permalink)
As I said, The Equaliser is hilarious, because it's shit but ridiculous and clearly knows it's ridiculous. Hacksaw Ridge I just couldn't watch, and I tried to make it through but I suspect that even if it suddenly switched up as I knew was on the cards, it would hardly turn into Band Of Brothers. 
Artical Don
  • Total Posts : 6569
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 15:07:03 (permalink)
Watched Life last night. Thought it was really good. Defo best space/alien film in a while. 

Buscemi Eyes
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 15:07:56 (permalink)
It pretty much does turn into BofB imo.

Watched a couple others at the weekend...

The Doors - 7/10

Val Kilmer plays Doors front man Jim Morrison and does a sterling job. This film is actually the perfect metaphor for Val Kilmer's career; Starts off as kind of a big deal before making some bad choices, ending up a bloated mess and dying a premature death.

The Doors are a band who I've always felt that you probably need to know the context in which they existed to properly 'get' them. That's exactly what this film proved to me. Great band who seemed to define that era.

I was impressed with the level of production although it was about half hour too long. I haven't seen many Oliver Stone films but this intrigues me to see more. I've not seen JFK or Platoon so will probably go for those.

The Warriors - 7.5/10

Come out to plaaaaaay...

A very retro, behind enemy lines, film that plays out almost like a chase movie. The fashion, the gangs, the violence... I digged it all.

It was also like playing a game of spot the sample. It is clearly a very influential film.

Best dnb tunes to sample this?

Also re-watched the Sam Raimi Spiderman 2 with Dr Octopus, just to see if it's as good as everyone remembers...

It isn't. Toby Maguire is shit. A lot of the dialogue is a bit shit. Spider Mans character arc is a bit shit. It's all just very camp and goofy. The years have not been kind. 

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9042
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 15:13:15 (permalink)
The Equaliser is the greatest film ever made. Denzel killing scumbags in slow motion and then having a face off with some tattoo covered Russian psychopath in a B&Q with a nail gun.

What more do you want ffs
¯ICE¯
  • Total Posts : 5187
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 15:15:45 (permalink)
Hacksaw ridge is a shitpile. CGI blood lmao
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/07/17 23:10:37 (permalink)
Drive was a decent noir that looked nice but suffered a bit from a wet soundtrack and the fact Gosling is about as intimidating as Rodney Trotter.
Page: << < ..461462463464465.. > >> Showing page 465 of 488
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0