Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..461462463464465.. > >> Showing page 461 of 473
Author
fonik
  • Total Posts : 3404
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/07 10:11:16 (permalink)
tried to watch 'live by night' yesterday. incoherent rubbish though. definitely a great story in there but rather than one long narrative it was broken up into little chunks that took place years apart but that werent long, detailed or developed enough. really annoying and unsatisfying. dont like ben affleck either. nicely shot though, cool costumes/sets etc. 1920's america was stylish af
dotarr
  • Total Posts : 4638
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/07 11:18:43 (permalink)
Continuing my new-found appreciation of Robert Altman, I watched Brewster Mccloud and Mr Macabe and Mrs Miller. Both were fantastic. I don't know if I know of a director with such a varied range in his work.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 7263
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/07 16:27:44 (permalink)
Razor
Alien not getting great reviews, mainly 3/5 or 7/10. Still good enough to be worth watching though.

From watching the trailers it feels like ive already seen it.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16271
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/07 18:35:57 (permalink)
Death Wish 3 with Charles Bronson

BEST
FILM
EVER
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6500
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/08 13:44:27 (permalink)
new trailer for IT. liking the look and feel. suitably creepy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsSeQ10lVuk 
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/08 13:49:29 (permalink)
dimdum
Death Wish 3 with Charles Bronson

BEST
FILM
EVER

I watched Hard Times recently. That's a pretty good one of Bronson's as well seeing as it's relevant.
Hector Savage
  • Total Posts : 2543
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 12:15:11 (permalink)
A few i've watched recently...

Kings of Summer - 7/10

Had this on my watchlist ever since it was sold to me as being like a modern Stand By Me.

I enjoyed it but it felt a little insubstantial. I think it needed one more major event to happen to fatten up the story. That said, the direction and cinematography was interesting throughout and it had the perfect running time for a film of this scale. It seemed to have more gags but lacked the palpable sense of melancholy and nostalgia in Stand By Me.

The casting for the parents is absolutely perfect and Nick Offerman is hilarious. As to is Moises Arias who plays the deranged Biaggio. All in all, a lovely little film but could do with some more meat on those chicken bones.

Captain Fantastic - 8.5/10

Really enjoyed this. Films like this should definitely be celebrated for daring to be a original and quirky. You can tell this is a film that comes from a deeply personal place and the writing is superb. For the first half of the film it really knows how to utilize the premise to create some extremely compelling scenes, the dinner table scene in particular had me beaming. The characters are so well written and detailed, from the haircuts and mannerisms right down to the books they are all reading.

Maybe it gets a tad too schmaltzy at the end but I was emotionally invested enough to let that slide. I cried a fair bit and laughed a lot more. Excellent film with two standout performances from Viggo Mortensen and George Mackay.

Victoria - 9/10

A German made film that follows a young girl on a night out in Berlin. The whole thing is filmed in one shot with no trickery/edits despite the 2hr20minutes running time. Not only is it an unbelievable technical achievement, it is a completely enthralling and involving storyline. It feels very low budget yet 100% authentic thanks to some great camera work.

The first hour is fairly slow but manages to establish the characters really well. The rest of the film is an exhilarating, edge of your seat affair. Really really impressive. Apparently they managed this on the third take which is just incredible. One of the best films of 2016.

Nocturnal Animals
- 7/10

A very grisly, artsy film that starts off feeling very Diet-David Lynch but does eventually become its own thing. Worth watching for Aaron Taylor-Johnson's performance alone. He is an absolute revelation. Shannon is also superb and worthy of the Oscar nod.

Not anywhere near as clever as it thinks it is but quite a powerful piece of work. Some of its messages are a bit on the nose. It wasn't as disturbing as it needed to be and I also thought it was the sort of story that would suit a bit of surrealism. It feels like it's played a bit too straight for me.

Calvary - 8 / 10

Been meaning to watch this for a while and really enjoyed it. Brendan Gleeson is such an effortlessly brilliant actor and this feels like it was tailor made for him. Certain scenes/characters have much more impact than others but generally this is a really solidly written piece about one mans struggle with his faith dwindling community.

In another world this script would make a really bleak episode of Father Ted.

Don't Breathe
- 4/ 10

I don't usually sit there watching a film with 'cinema sins' going off in my head, but this really annoyed me. It's just such a dumb film. The script is dumb. The characters are dumb. They do dumb things. Nothing makes much sense. Everything is too convenient.

Horror films should at least have internal logic. This films is just everything that is wrong with the American horror at the moment. No one in this film has any redeemable traits. At all. It's one of those rare horror films where the 'villain' is actually the most likable character.

How on earth did this get so many positive reviews? It's pure straight to DVD fodder for me. Baffling. Don't watch.

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11436
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 12:33:48 (permalink)
MaxPower

Calvary - 8 / 10

Been meaning to watch this for a while and really enjoyed it. Brendan Gleeson is such an effortlessly brilliant actor and this feels like it was tailor made for him. Certain scenes/characters have much more impact than others but generally this is a really solidly written piece about one mans struggle with his faith dwindling community.

In another world this script would make a really bleak episode of Father Ted.

Watched this a year ago or so. The avuncular Gleeson is one of the most charismatic actors left to us these days, and I enjoyed him again in this film. The whole cast is excellent in this movie, with a decent ensemble of names like Aiden Gillen and Dylan Moran.

Quite an odd film, wasn't sure whether I should be laughing or not as there are quite a few funny moments although they were juxtaposed with some pretty grim themes. The presence of O Dowd and Moran also cued me up for laughs where perhaps there weren't as many as I initially thought. 

Managed to make my wife cry, which is quite an achievement as most of her calcified heart is also encased in ice. However she was born a Catholic so all that stuff is a bit more visceral for her 

Hector Savage
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 12:48:32 (permalink)
Good assessment ^

I think the humour might flourish a bit more on a second viewing.

I haven't seen The Guard which was also written and directed by John Michael McDonagh. Will have to look out for it.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 12:56:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Duderonomy 2017/05/18 19:26:37
MaxPower

The Guard which was also written and directed by John Michael McDonagh. 

It's good. Cheadle is weirdly great in this too

gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 13:51:55 (permalink)
the guard is flipping fantastic. i rate all the mcdonagh brothers' films apart from seven psychopaths tbh

last year i saw the play that martin (i think?) wrote which was called Hangmen. superb as well.

hyped for this Three Billboards Outside Ebbing movie later in the year
Hector Savage
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/09 14:22:18 (permalink)
Firstly, I've seen the new Beauty and the Beast and it is a load of old shite. The songs are shrill, the choreography clunky and the story has had needless additions to it that make no sense....
 Emma Watson is horrific in it. Her choice of facial expression was bewildering and confused. She is just a really ropey actress... but she looks like a Disney princess, so lets reward her;

https://www.theguardian.c...e-award-gender-neutral

This gender neutral thing is even more misjudged than Emma Watson's acting choices. It's so fucking stupid. I fully expect a backlash when a male wins the award for 2 or 3 years in a row. In fact, I think that's the only reason they pushed for it in the first place, so they can one day have a big fucking sanctimonious moan about how long it's been since a female won etc...

Gender politics  

MR.EQ
  • Total Posts : 16958
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/11 22:50:04 (permalink)
Alien Covenant is good. Some nerdlinger issues.. but good.

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
gavinx
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 10:26:26 (permalink)
i can't believe i'm writing this but Baywatch actually looks pretty fun-
https://youtu.be/nA-nXJ1FoM4?t=7s

smart move making it a proper Rock vehicle and following the 21 jump street tone. also casting that girl from San Andreas with the huge cans
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 10:52:46 (permalink)
Like the look of this, bigtime. 

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/12/cary-grant-how-100-acid-trips-in-tinseltown-changed-my-life-lsd-documentary

I've read up a fair bit on Grant and his love of acid. This looks tidy

dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16271
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 11:29:40 (permalink)
Yes I agree with Victoria. Great film
Hector Savage
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 11:39:19 (permalink)
I've managed to avoid all promotion for Alien Covenant for the last few months. I'm going to London next Friday to see it in iMax. Cannot fucking wait.

Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 11:42:48 (permalink)
Im seeing it tomorrow. Best not be shit. 

As for avoiding stuff unfortunately ive seen most teh trailers and feel like ive already watched it
dotarr
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 11:45:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ray Punkle 2017/05/12 13:25:03
I've probably seen the covenant trailer about 5 times in the cinema and can remember nothing about it apart from that I've had the fleeting thought 'Ooh, is that Danny McBride?' at the same point.
MR.EQ
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/12 11:47:30 (permalink)
You shouldn't avoid all of it.. quite a bit of the promo material isn't in the film! 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
JUDGEDREDD
  • Total Posts : 9464
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/13 18:20:14 (permalink)
City of God still blows me away to this day, masterpiece. 
Ankle
  • Total Posts : 4431
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/13 19:06:28 (permalink)
Fans of True Detective S1 might like this. Thought it was decent:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3253930/
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/14 19:54:28 (permalink)
Alien Covenant = Meh

Could go into details but was just 'meh' in general.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4247
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/15 09:12:16 (permalink)
Went to see the live action 'Masters of the Universe' film on Sat at Prince Charles Cinema.

Dolph Lundgren as He-Man.

Get to know if you haven't seen it already. It's stupendously shit.
MR.EQ
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/15 09:38:01 (permalink)
DJModus
Went to see the live action 'Masters of the Universe' film on Sat at Prince Charles Cinema.

Haha random, what's that doing back on the big screen?! It's so bad it's actually quite good though, I loved it as a kid. 

SIGS, EVERYTHING SIGS.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 26872
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/15 09:45:36 (permalink)
I bloody loved that film.
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 90026
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/15 10:03:50 (permalink)
That's one of my all time favourites. Love how 80s the whole thing is.
_Modus_
  • Total Posts : 4247
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/15 10:07:52 (permalink)
mrEQ
DJModus

Haha random, what's that doing back on the big screen?! It's so bad it's actually quite good though, I loved it as a kid. 

30th anniversary apparently. It's got a cult following though so they play it at that cinema every now and again.

Don't get me wrong - I love the film. All its flaws add to the entertainment value - Dolph's inability to talk coherent English, let alone act. Also, the fact that they ran out of money at the end and had to shoot the final battle in the dark.
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2609
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/16 06:41:22 (permalink)
Thought Alien Covenant was decent, but not amazing. Story was interesting and adds a lot to the other early alien movies. Ending also intriguing. Well acted but could've done with more aliens in corridors chasing people and less talking.
Stoopid_Fux
Re: RE: Film reviews 2017/05/16 14:08:59 (permalink)
Thought it was muddled at best. Some good parts some pretty bad parts. For every bit that interesting or good there was several moments i was rolling my eyes at. 

I also don't understand Ridley Scott's aversion to space helmets in Alien films these days lol. 
Page: << < ..461462463464465.. > >> Showing page 461 of 473
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0