Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 489
Author
Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24834
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/13 12:25:56 (permalink)
I've put the Stalker film on my list.  Sounds very high brow for me but I'll give it a go!
sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15341
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/13 12:29:44 (permalink)
it is immense
Kris
  • Total Posts : 16348
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 08:59:49 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:21:29

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 09:05:33 (permalink)
never seen it, sounds epic
Papa_Wiego
  • Total Posts : 927
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 13:03:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

nice one Kingbop. Good to here someones review of a well known classic.

Love Blade Runner so much, interesting that Harrison Ford hated it when he was making it as he felt that the scenery was the main character rather than him. It is true, but strange to get upset about that as an actor.

dont think it is strange for an actor to get upset bout that. heads up there own arses kinda guys me thinks.  

Papa_Wiego
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 13:15:16 (permalink)

Ditry Pretty Things
Chiwetel Ejiofor gives a remarkably understated performance in director Stephen Frears's offbeat and gripping drama DIRTY PRETTY THINGS. Ejiofor stars as Okwe, a Nigerian who is trying to make a new life for himself in London, where he works days as a taxi driver and nights as a hotel desk receptionist. When he discovers a human heart in a hotel-room bathroom, he cannot go to the police because he is an illegal alien with a mysterious past he refuses to talk about. Suddenly he is thrust into the middle of a dangerous situation that threatens to have tragic results for him and those around him.

French ingenue Audrey Tautou costars as a Turkish woman who has sought asylum in England, where she is allowed to live but not work. But she must make money, so she works secretly while the government tries to catch her. Benedict Wong turns in a fine supporting performance as Guo Yi, a morgue employee who shares wise and humorous sayings with Okwe. Frears directs the unusual proceedings with a deft hand, slowly revealing secrets that are as gruesome as they are poignant (Love film - copy n paste, couldnt be arsed to write all that).

very good film. worth watching just for ms tautou although much more to it than that.  characters are well done and interestin. two leads pretty serious but some quite funny moments with other characters especially the immagration officers, almost cartoon like. wont say much more, not to into reviewing cos its all down to opinion but give it a watch. id give it 81%

plus didnt really like history of violence. heard good things but was bit dissapointed. was ok jus nothin special. + darjeeling is one of the best films ive seen in ages, can watch it over n over. but then again, thats jus like my opnion man...
post edited by Papa_Wiego - 2009/02/16 14:15:20

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 13:29:46 (permalink)
noice one papa wah wah. apart from u a lazy cunt with your copy paste techniques

go on msn u slut
post edited by sandmanJO3 - 2009/02/16 13:46:01
RAYZA
  • Total Posts : 91863
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 15:03:06 (permalink)
I love Blade Runner, possibly my favourite film of all time although probably just beaten by the original Star Wars trilogy. Reading the book at the moment but im really struggling to get into it, i thought i would love it but i dont really like the style it is written in, he seems to over describe every little thing making it pretty tedious to read, im trying to like it but with not much success. I shall soldier on though.

Anyone got a torrent for Stalker? Really wanna see it but cant find it anywhere.

Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 16:41:18 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:21:52

Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24834
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 17:16:15 (permalink)
Ive actually got Stalker on the way to me as I speak, which is quite surprising I didn't think Blockbuster would have it.  Or at least that they would take about a year to send it.

Got bought 'A very long engagement' the other day which looks pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344510/

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 17:40:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Razor

I love Blade Runner, possibly my favourite film of all time although probably just beaten by the original Star Wars trilogy. Reading the book at the moment but im really struggling to get into it, i thought i would love it but i dont really like the style it is written in, he seems to over describe every little thing making it pretty tedious to read, im trying to like it but with not much success. I shall soldier on though.

Anyone got a torrent for Stalker? Really wanna see it but cant find it anywhere.

Phillip K Dick books are pretty intense. Not easy reading at all. I dont like his style much, but his storys are amazing.
RAYZA
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 18:53:43 (permalink)

Phillip K Dick books are pretty intense. Not easy reading at all. I dont like his style much, but his storys are amazing.

Innit, feels like a bit of a chore reading it, i prefer a more simplistic writing style, i dont like having to read paragraphs more than once to take it in. Are there any other films based on his books other than Total Recall?
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 19:31:28 (permalink)

Innit, feels like a bit of a chore reading it, i prefer a more simplistic writing style, i dont like having to read paragraphs more than once to take it in. Are there any other films based on his books other than Total Recall?

Minority Report is a Phillip K dick short story i think. Not all that as a film, but still the plot is quite good.

A Scanner Darkly is a Phillip K Dick novel made into an animated film. Thats more of a low key sci-fi though, not a bad watch. Theres nothing on par with Blade RUnner or Total Recall that i know of.

eko
  • Total Posts : 3988
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 20:13:02 (permalink)

I know where there's rapidshare links if you want them.

RAYZA
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/16 20:16:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eko

I know where there's rapidshare links if you want them.

yes please, as long as its not in loads of different files cos i aint got a rapidshare account
kingbop
  • Total Posts : 2531
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 02:57:54 (permalink)

I used to hate this too. Classic Sci-fi books are sometimes more like reading a dense piece of philosophy rather than a novel. I'm in third year philosophy now and I usually have to read something about 5-10 times over to really grasp it. It can be a ball-ache, but it's very rewarding when you do get it.... I found this with stuff like 'Brave New World' and '1984'.. it was like reading philosophy.

(p.s. sorry for sounding like a pretentious cunt).

Papa_Wiego
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 18:14:14 (permalink)

I used to hate this too. Classic Sci-fi books are sometimes more like reading a dense piece of philosophy rather than a novel. I'm in third year philosophy now and I usually have to read something about 5-10 times over to really grasp it. It can be a ball-ache, but it's very rewarding when you do get it.... I found this with stuff like 'Brave New World' and '1984'.. it was like reading philosophy.

i read this in college and didnt find it tough at all. actually really enjoyed it. maybe it all went over my head... we were reading eutopia at the same time. now that i couldnt understand and did not enjoy.

bit of a book/film theme emerging here...

Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 19:58:56 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:22:12

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:00:57 (permalink)
the inspiration for snakes on a plane i heard
Overlay
  • Total Posts : 17172
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:04:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Kris

Just watched Strangers On a Train http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044079

Shit, only 3 scenes with any suspense in it.

lol.  By modern standards it is pretty tame but for its time it was a masterpiece and highly influential.  The fact that it's influenced so much since is why it makes no real impression these days.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:07:16 (permalink)
I'd say Vertigo is my fave Hitchcock offering. Classic film.
Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:09:31 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:22:26

.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:15:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Papa_Wiego

i read this in college and didnt find it tough at all. actually really enjoyed it. maybe it all went over my head... we were reading eutopia at the same time. now that i couldnt understand and did not enjoy.

bit of a book/film theme emerging here...

Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World? Fair enough. They have a lot of themes running through them yeah but they're not complex to read. Studied Nineteen Eighty-Four for A-Level out of choice and found it easy going, got me an A anyway. If you were getting Sci-Fi or Philosophy and then comparing it to dense English Lit texts like Ulysses then I'd say yeah
Overlay
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:17:12 (permalink)
Yeah a lot of the old film makers like Hitchcock and Welles have been copied and improved upon over the years but they were the originators of a lot of techniques.  It's almost worth reading up on it before you see them so that you can properly appreciate what they were doing.

I'd prob go along with Sandman and say Vertigo is his best but North by Northwest, Rear Window, of course Psycho are worth a watch.  Rope's a less well known Hitchcock that's worth a watch, if only for the fact it was shot in one take with the camera moving around the action.
.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:23:51 (permalink)
Since you're chatting about the don that is Hitchcock here's a random bit of news if it hasn't been mentioned yet: they're planning on remaking The Birds... that is all
Overlay
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:26:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: .Exit

Since you're chatting about the don that is Hitchcock here's a random bit of news if it hasn't been mentioned yet: they're planning on remaking The Birds... that is all

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:28:52 (permalink)
Remake of the birds =

Kris
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:30:39 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:22:48

Myxomatosis
  • Total Posts : 6120
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:44:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Overlay

Yeah a lot of the old film makers like Hitchcock and Welles have been copied and improved upon over the years but they were the originators of a lot of techniques.  It's almost worth reading up on it before you see them so that you can properly appreciate what they were doing.

I'd prob go along with Sandman and say Vertigo is his best but North by Northwest, Rear Window, of course Psycho are worth a watch.  Rope's a less well known Hitchcock that's worth a watch, if only for the fact it was shot in one take with the camera moving around the action.

there are at least eleven cuts in Rope

hello dave.....
Overlay
RE: Film reviews 2009/02/17 20:52:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Myxomatosis

ORIGINAL: Overlay

there are at least eleven cuts in Rope

are there?  Aint seen it for time but i thought that was why it was famous.  I know there was some rumour that he'd cheated but i dunno.  It's been about ten years and a lot of drugs since i studied it.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 489
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0