Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 473
Author
vhanna
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 11:12:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: silentjob

ORIGINAL: Exit2

Darjeeling Limited

no need to review this. its yet another wes anderson snore-athon.

Are you kidding?
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 12:09:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vhanna

Darjeeling Limited

Are you kidding?

no. i kid you not. watch his output - you will see a coherent, repetitive thread
Exit2
  • Total Posts : 5736
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 14:26:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: vhanna

Darjeeling Limited

Are you kidding?

no. i kid you not. watch his output - you will see a coherent, repetitive thread

Hmm, well I've still gotta watch it anyway. I don't even know Wes Anderson or any of his films though I probably have seen something by him without realising. I'm watching it without any expectations anyway

Your mum rates me
Overlay
  • Total Posts : 17172
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 14:31:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

ive added diva to my lovefilm list silentjob, but i feel i must declare war on you for cussng Wes Anderson

me too.  I know a way to hurt him, say The Magnificent Seven is miles better than Seven Samurai..
sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15341
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 22:57:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Overlay

ive added diva to my lovefilm list silentjob, but i feel i must declare war on you for cussng Wes Anderson

me too.  I know a way to hurt him, say The Magnificent Seven is miles better than Seven Samurai..

^ one way to look at it

I would say he has a very destinct style (that i fucking love) he is a very precise, imagenitive film maker and a treasure to modern quasi-mainstream cinema.
skwiffer
  • Total Posts : 15658
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 23:15:03 (permalink)
my brother has chinatown. i think i'll watch that before he goes back to uni.

i finished watching the king kong remake last night, having started watching it on saturday, i think and watching it bit by bit. I'll write up a review soon

NZPhenom
  • Total Posts : 4733
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 23:45:23 (permalink)

Saw 'The Wrestler' the other night, was very impressed. Mickey Rourke is brilliant in it, plays a battered old former wrestling star who's been reduced to smalltown bouts and a trailer park. 

The 'realist' angle taken on the wrestling subject is something unique too, two thumbs up.
post edited by NZPhenom - 2009/01/15 23:48:16
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/16 00:40:50 (permalink)
Ed Wood – 1994 – Tim Burton

Starring Johnny Depp and Martin Lanua

Pulled this out of the collection yesterday, aint watched it in years so it inspired to me to crack one out

The Film tells the story of real life film maker Ed Wood, supposed “worst director of all time” and his struggle to follow his dream and make it in the film industry. This bio film only deals with Eds earlier life and film making career. To make his films Ed teams up with Bela Lugosi, a once legendary horror actor in the early 1900s turned washed up, near death, broke junkie. The unlikely pair gather a film crew of freaks and odd balls to make films that have now gained iconic status and fame as “the worst films of all time”.    

Tim Burton has really excelled himself in this film, his passion toward Ed and his filmmaking pours of the screen throughout, in every camera angle, the use of light and shadow and the consistent b-movie stylization. The film is always respectfully referencing the general style of these old Hollywood films without ever falling into parody or obscuring ‘Ed Wood’ as a modern film in its own right.
Burton opts to shoot this film in black and white which not only looks perfect and gives another nod to the original Ed Wood b-movies but also shows a lack of regard for the mainstream which is compelling and fitting for the subject matter of the film. Apparently the film was intended to be shot in colour which I think would have been a HUGE mistake, its not often you can say it about a black and white film but it looks fucking lush.

The acting throughout is of a high caliber. Depp is perfect as the ever optimistic, charmingly flawed film maker and both compassionate and laugh out loud funny. While Lanua’s portrayal of Lugosi is brilliant in so many ways – his portrayal of the real life Lugosi, his portrayal of Lugosi acting within the films with in the film (!) and his portrayal of the depression and addiction the character is going through are all perfectly executed and he gives the character a dignity that almost seems impossible considering Lugosis’ circumstances.

This film could be watched and really enjoyed by someone who knows nothing about Ed Wood, but really this is for the fans and if you haven’t seen the actual flying saucers from Plan 9 from outer space, or the unbelievably farcical octopus scene at the end of Bride of the monster, you may not quite get all the genius and passion and referential elements that this films is offering up by the bucket load.

The film is funny, moving, interesting and well made. There is a charm to watching someone blindly following a dream despite their complete lack of talent and  Ed Woods unflinching optimism is hilarious to watch and also so endearing and admirable.

P.S Ed Wood is a closet transvestite.
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/16 12:39:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Overlay

nice try.....we all know the answer to that one though...

Ed Wood – 1994 – Tim Burton

P.S Ed Wood is a closet transvestite.

Edward

I like to dress in women's clothing.

George Weiss:
Are you a fruit?

Edward

No, not at all. I love women. Wearing their clothes makes me feel closer to them. George Weiss:
You're not a fruit?

Edward

No, I'm all man. I even fought in WWII. Of course, I was wearing women's undergarments under my uniform.

classic - as is chinatown. [the nostril scene - ooffff]
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 17:51:17 (permalink)
gonna post a review of the wrestler as soon as my senses return after weekend. For now all i'll say is. it good. go see.
Twisted Bliss
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 18:48:29 (permalink)
My truly enlightening offering to this thread is:
Donkey Punch.
Just don't.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 20:17:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Twisted Bliss

My truly enlightening offering to this thread is:
Donkey Punch.
Just don't.

safe
Twisted Bliss
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 20:19:40 (permalink)
Just to clarify,if a film is centred pretty much around a foursome,make it a fucking good one.
Perhaps I missed the point,I was quite drunk when I saw it.

.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 20:21:13 (permalink)
I wanna see Donkey Punch even more now... that is all
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 20:22:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Twisted Bliss

Just to clarify,if a film is centred pretty much around a foursome,make it a fucking good one.
Perhaps I missed the point,I was quite drunk when I saw it.

-D

Fails to show basic grasp of English
Twisted Bliss
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/18 20:22:44 (permalink)

The propeller bit is good.
Haha,sorry about my poor literacy skills...
post edited by Twisted Bliss - 2009/01/18 20:25:27

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/20 13:15:10 (permalink)

Into The Wild

watched this last night, really good film. Cant believe i missed it, it was on at the showroom in shef and i remember reading the synopsis and just thinking it would be a cheese riddled cringe fest. How wrong i was, really well made, looks brilliant and top notch performance from the lead and supposrting cast. As its working from a true story its hard to comment on the plot, but the exit2 says the philosophical themes about happiness, existence and life are handled really well and are very engaging through out.

The actual technical elements of the films are top notch as well, it looks really vibrant and modern while maintaining warmth and personality to the cinematography that run of the mill Hollywood mainstream films always lack. Use of sound is good, editing is quick and snappy. I actually realized after watching it that the majority of the film is montage, there are scenes that settle down and deal with character one to ones occasionally but easily the bulk of the film is montage with music or narration. While this seems like it wouldn't work it actually complements the 'epic journey' aspect of the story well as well as making it really easily accessible and watchable.

Big ups exit2 i really would not have checked this out of my own back, highly recommend to the real film heads, get on it. 

.Exit
  • Total Posts : 2052
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/25 20:53:53 (permalink)

Into The Wild

watched this last night, really good film. Cant believe i missed it, it was on at the showroom in shef and i remember reading the synopsis and just thinking it would be a cheese riddled cringe fest. How wrong i was, really well made, looks brilliant and top notch performance from the lead and supposrting cast. As its working from a true story its hard to comment on the plot, but the exit2 says the philosophical themes about happiness, existence and life are handled really well and are very engaging through out.

The actual technical elements of the films are top notch as well, it looks really vibrant and modern while maintaining warmth and personality to the cinematography that run of the mill Hollywood mainstream films always lack. Use of sound is good, editing is quick and snappy. I actually realized after watching it that the majority of the film is montage, there are scenes that settle down and deal with character one to ones occasionally but easily the bulk of the film is montage with music or narration. While this seems like it wouldn't work it actually complements the 'epic journey' aspect of the story well as well as making it really easily accessible and watchable.

Big ups exit2 i really would not have checked this out of my own back, highly recommend to the real film heads, get on it. 

Told you it was big
IKOS
  • Total Posts : 35835
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:33:26 (permalink)
Just watched 'Memoirs of a Geisha' an though it was very very good.

Its a film adaptation of a novel by Arthur Golden. Told in first-person view, it tells the fictional story of a geisha working in Kyoto, Japan in the 40‘s.

Stunning sets and beautiful cinematography, very well written. Big big film in my opinion but defiantly wont interest everyone. Rocks a big love story throughout that is far from soppy and sweet trust, but if you cant stomach that shit give it a miss.

I thought it was a real epic and if im going to be honest made my eyes leak a tiny bit.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:35:29 (permalink)
you da man IKOS!

Told in first-person view

Serious? As in its shot in first person/POV through out? never! 
MykMallett
  • Total Posts : 14907
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:46:48 (permalink)
Ed Wood is indeed a brilliant film. Plan 9 From Outer Space is one fine bit of cinema history
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:50:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MykMallett

Ed Wood is indeed a brilliant film. Plan 9 From Outer Space is one fine bit of cinema history

you seen Bride of the Monster as well? So funny, i love em.
IKOS
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:51:33 (permalink)

you da man IKOS!

i could tell you wanted the bump.

Told in first-person view

Serious? As in its shot in first person/POV through out? never! 

Nah, sorry, bad use of the term, i mean the entire film is told from her perspective, its just her story being told.
post edited by IKOS - 2009/01/26 01:55:08
MykMallett
  • Total Posts : 14907
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:54:32 (permalink)

No, in fact I havent seen plan9 for years. Might have to get them, i can only imagine that ill appreciate them more now.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 01:59:54 (permalink)

No, in fact I havent seen plan9 for years. Might have to get them, i can only imagine that ill appreciate them more now.

once you seen plan 9 and bride of the monster the burton film gets even better. Seeing the real octopus scene is too much.

Nah, sorry, bad use of the term, i mean the entire film is told from her perspective, its just her story being told.

ha ha, i thought you meant that, remember Geisha coming out. I do wanna see it some time, waiting for it to be on TV or something.
DjNefarious
  • Total Posts : 12028
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 02:15:55 (permalink)
Here we go then
Stalker (1979) Andrei Tarkovsky.

this'll be brief and i may give it a proper go when i feel more active.

the film follows a man "the stalker" who takes people into "the zone" an unpopulated and highly guarded area - a secretive and mysterious place.
I'm going to try and avoid pure synopsis as i can't be fucked.
Stylistically the film is minimal, beautiful, tense and highly thought provoking. The cinematography is pure brilliance with every shot bleeding beauty and really drawing in the viewer - confusing, mystifying and taunting them. the characters are strong and abrasive which adds to the films awkward atmosphere; you'll find yourself almost begging for closure at some points.

ok that review sucks and makes no sense and i'll come back and give it a proper go later this week hopefully.

to sum it up i'd say it's a great film but hard work, it isn't easy viewing, it wont be to everyone's tastes but if you're after something psychologically heavy, well shot and well written it's definately worth a watch.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 02:21:42 (permalink)
^looking forward to seeing it
IKOS
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 02:21:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DjNefarious

Here we go then
Stalker (1979) Andrei Tarkovsky.

this'll be brief and i may give it a proper go when i feel more active.

the film follows a man "the stalker" who takes people into "the zone" an unpopulated and highly guarded area - a secretive and mysterious place.
I'm going to try and avoid pure synopsis as i can't be fucked.
Stylistically the film is minimal, beautiful, tense and highly thought provoking. The cinematography is pure brilliance with every shot bleeding beauty and really drawing in the viewer - confusing, mystifying and taunting them. the characters are strong and abrasive which adds to the films awkward atmosphere; you'll find yourself almost begging for closure at some points.

ok that review sucks and makes no sense and i'll come back and give it a proper go later this week hopefully.

to sum it up i'd say it's a great film but hard work, it isn't easy viewing, it wont be to everyone's tastes but if you're after something psychologically heavy, well shot and well written it's definately worth a watch.

Possibly some of the best writing iv seen on this big yellow intellect void in some time. Film sounds big.
DjNefarious
  • Total Posts : 12028
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 02:29:36 (permalink)
why thank you - as i said, i'll try and get a proper review up some time.
Overlay
  • Total Posts : 17172
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/26 09:15:03 (permalink)
Good Night and Good Luck

You could probably write a few films about American journalist, Ed Murrow.  His wartime broadcasts from London were world famous and are often cited as a factor in America joining the conflict. He was also allegedly giving Churchill's daughter in law a portion during that time but this film seeks to highlight his most famous act; when he went toe to toe with Senator Joe McCarthy in the 1950's.

McCarthyism was rife in late 40's, 1950's America.  After the onset of the cold war McCarthy led the charge in claiming that America had been infiltrated with communist sympathisers and anyone who criticised his methods became a target for him.  This made most journalists very unwilling to criticise him.  This film is about how Ed Murrow and his news team at CBS went about carefully exposing McCarthy as a bully and eroder of civil liberties.  McCarthy appears as himself in real footage as the team goes after him and has to weather the subsequent storm that they are all communist sympathisers.

Directed by George Clooney and starring David Strathairn, Clooney and a talented ensemble cast it keeps you hooked from start to finish.  Being shot entirely in black and white might seem pretentious but it actually works very well in capturing the feeling of the time. 
Made in 2005 the film draws many parallels with our modern world without at any point overflowing into moralism. It's a film about the nature of freedom and about the power and subsequent responsibility of mass media.  As i said somewhere else, if you like fast cars and explosions you won't like this film.  You'll need to bring your brain..

Peace.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 473
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0