Hot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..171172173174175.. > >> Showing page 171 of 374
Author
NoSeBag.v2
  • Total Posts : 14237
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 11:48:26 (permalink)
The skin i live in was great highly recommended
NZPhenom
  • Total Posts : 4323
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 13:05:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Specialized1

Watched the Avengers yesterday.

Not much different from any other superhero film imo apart from being an hour longer.

It is what it is and it's too long.

6.5/10

Film snob
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 9170
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 13:33:17 (permalink)
I'm decided to finally watch Bladerunner this evening. Now which should I go for, original or directors cut?

Yes I know, I know.
Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 5017
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 13:51:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Shiverman

I'm decided to finally watch Bladerunner this evening. Now which should I go for, original or directors cut?

Yes I know, I know.

The Final Cut.
Grade
  • Total Posts : 17302
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 13:53:02 (permalink)
Watch something else.

fyan
  • Total Posts : 42038
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 13:59:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DJModus

ORIGINAL: silentjob

ORIGINAL: The Rat

New Cronenberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9jc3BnLRc

That one popped up from nowhere? Better be good to the book.

Hoping this is gona be good. I love Cronenberg. Needs to make more body horrors imo.

One could argue he doesn't need to. Real life and the internet serves up more horrific things on a daily basis. Look at the baby rape thread, for example. We've all seen shit that surpasses - if that's the right word - any of his horrific creations over the years.
I remember when Crash was shocking. Now it could probably be shown pre-watershed (I'm exaggerating).
As much as I love his old stuff, the newer stuff is a lot more thoughtful. Spider, for example, is one of the best films I've ever seen in terms of a character study (minus points for the poo-ey hand - kind of puts me off, made me snigger when I shouldn't have).
Still, would be entertaining to see one of his trademark vagina-shaped scars again...
fyan
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 14:00:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stoopid_Fux

ORIGINAL: Shiverman

Yes I know, I know.

The Final Cut.

Out of the two choices, director's cut
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/12 16:57:04 (permalink)
Black Sheep - a brilliant piece of work. 4/5
sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15336
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 15:47:51 (permalink)
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 724
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 15:51:50 (permalink)
over the last couple of weeks:

logans run - interesting but also very bizarre especially that odd robot character! the idea's great but the execution is a bit off...exactly the kind of film that should be remade so fingers crossed refn gets it off the ground...

network - absolutely incredible, the best thing i've seen for a very long time. can't believe i'd never seen it before! great performances but one of the best screen plays ever written. god i love faye dunaway.

the avengers - yeah, really entertaining, glad i finally went. the plot was kinda dumb and the alien riders a bit rubbish, but everything else was top draw. great performances and dialogue on the whole. a few real jaw-dropping sequences, just a shame they ruined the huge flying monsters in the trailer. iron man and the hulk were v funny double-act, and loved the big green guy's sucker punch on thor!
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 16:33:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nayf

ORIGINAL: The Rat

New Cronenberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9jc3BnLRc

That one popped up from nowhere? Better be good to the book.

Hoping this is gona be good. I love Cronenberg. Needs to make more body horrors imo.

One could argue he doesn't need to. Real life and the internet serves up more horrific things on a daily basis. Look at the baby rape thread, for example. We've all seen shit that surpasses - if that's the right word - any of his horrific creations over the years.
I remember when Crash was shocking. Now it could probably be shown pre-watershed (I'm exaggerating).
As much as I love his old stuff, the newer stuff is a lot more thoughtful. Spider, for example, is one of the best films I've ever seen in terms of a character study (minus points for the poo-ey hand - kind of puts me off, made me snigger when I shouldn't have).
Still, would be entertaining to see one of his trademark vagina-shaped scars again...

One could counter argue that your analogy only works if you disregard the metaphorical aspects of his work, the narrative, the context. The point of it all. If you just want gross shit then you dont need more than the internets mind bogglingly vast library of micro-video nasties, true, but i doubt anyone enjoys Cronenburg on just that level. Maybe Spider is good, i've not seen it, but A Dangerous Method, A History Of Violence and Eastern Promises were all dangerously close to mediocre. I dont necessarily want Cronenburg to go back to body horror but i desperately want him to do something interesting again.

He's not there yet but he's slowly getting dull. And no matter how badly it might age, his early body of work is anything but dull.
gavinx
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 16:48:17 (permalink)
'cosmopolis' will definitely be interesting if he sticks to the book

that new trailer looks excellent

i don't think he'll ever make another 'videodrome' or 'the fly' though unfortunately, two of my all-time favourite films
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:08:10 (permalink)
Naked Lunch is great as well. I highly rate Crash, I remember you didnt like it gavinx, i urge you to read the Ebert review and watch it again. Maybe after hearing someone eloquently summing up its finer points you might enjoy it more.
gavinx
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:13:53 (permalink)
yeah i just bought 'naked lunch' to watch again

i would give 'crash' another go actually, it's been a few years but i did feel very strongly at the time

'dead ringers' is mad underrated too, very creepy and fucked up

p.s. very good review of 'crash' btw, here if anyone else wants a read- http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19970321/REVIEWS/703210301/1023
post edited by gavinx - 2012/05/14 17:18:16
ajantis_art
  • Total Posts : 1336
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:16:29 (permalink)

Black Sheep - a brilliant piece of work. 4/5

Zombie sheep or Chris Farley?
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:18:07 (permalink)
i love the telepathic conversation sequence in naked lunch. PLus the idea of being scared of the withdrawal from being addicted to an imaginary drug. Whole film is amazing actually, proper repulsive at times.
silentjob
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:38:01 (permalink)
Zombie Sheep
DJModus
  • Total Posts : 2021
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 17:39:43 (permalink)
^^ Nice to see some serious Cronenberg fans in this thread. I don't really want him to go back to his body horror formula, but there's something about his more recent stuff that isn't quite the standard of his earlier films. I dont just want gore, as the gore itself is clearly not as shocking as it once was, but I think he needs to make something as shocking as his films from that era. I think films like Dead Ringers and Crash still have a serious impact on the viewer.. they did on me and I only watched them in the last couple of years. There's something really challenging about those films, even The Fly and Shivers are quite challenging, and not just because of the gore. I've found his more recent stuff slightly less so.... certainly still good though.
fyan
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 18:45:00 (permalink)
i do agree that perhaps his recent films haven't worked on that psychological level...but hopes are high for cosmopolis. Interesting fact: did you know he was due to direct total recall but left after nine months of work? Can definitely see some of his influence compared to just a straight verhoeven work... Still enjoyed eastern promises and a history of violence though
post edited by nayf - 2012/05/14 18:47:06
fyan
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 18:53:32 (permalink)
would be interesting to see him tackle an adaptation of the wasp factory by iain banks. And as much as i dislike remakes, i can't think of many who'd do a remake of stalker by tarkovsky justice
DJModus
  • Total Posts : 2021
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 19:05:24 (permalink)

would be interesting to see him tackle an adaptation of the wasp factory by iain banks. And as much as i dislike remakes, i can't think of many who'd do a remake of stalker by tarkovsky justice

Haha yeah the Wasp Factory seems like it was made for Cronenberg. Proper weird and psychologically disturbing. Didn't know that about Total Recall, but not surprising now you mention it. Verhoeven and Cronenberg are masters of 80s super-gore. When Murphy gets shot to bits in Robocop it is genuinely horrific.
Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24257
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 20:42:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: REDBOY1978

ORIGINAL: Miss SD

Just watched a fantastic documentary- white diamond by werner herzog-highly recommended
For those that have seen it- mark Anthony is an absolute legend.

Red rooster

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=1970980179

Some very good picks in this thread.

And his 5 hens!! I saw on IMDb that he did manage to see his family after all which was amazing!
cal2
  • Total Posts : 2030
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 20:49:36 (permalink)
Zatoichi - 9/10 - sick film, love the musical interludes

silentjob
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 20:53:45 (permalink)
The rice paddy scene.
The Rat
  • Total Posts : 43451
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/14 23:56:48 (permalink)
Yea liked Chronicle quite a lot which I was surprised about
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/15 09:58:15 (permalink)

Haha yeah the Wasp Factory seems like it was made for Cronenberg. Proper weird and psychologically disturbing. Didn't know that about Total Recall, but not surprising now you mention it. Verhoeven and Cronenberg are masters of 80s super-gore. When Murphy gets shot to bits in Robocop it is genuinely horrific.

I knew Croneberg was at some point going to make Total Recall but didn't know he'd actually worked on it.

Cronenberg doing Stalker could be amazing. Very hard film to re-make though, its got such a strange atmosphere. Be hard to re-capture.
Scotteo
  • Total Posts : 6083
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/15 10:03:04 (permalink)
Watched the first 20 minutes of Last Circus last night. Really not sure what to make of it, it looks like a serious film (from the cinematography, lighting etc.), smells like a serious film, but has a really stupid story line. I think just looks too good to be taken as a piss take, but the content is far to stupid to be taken as a serious film. Gonna carry on though as some moments are pretty damn hilarious.
fyan
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/15 10:06:01 (permalink)
the message of stalker (well the message i feel most from it, it's very open ended in that regard) is one that ought to get aired widely really.... As much as i love it, recommending it to people is hard as it is hard to watch and remain interested if you're not totally into watching it - if that makes sense
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/15 10:07:11 (permalink)
@scotteeoeee i need to see it. Just looks nuts.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/05/15 10:14:17 (permalink)

the message of stalker (well the message i feel most from it, it's very open ended in that regard) is one that ought to get aired widely really.... As much as i love it, recommending it to people is hard as it is hard to watch and remain interested if you're not totally into watching it - if that makes sense

Yeah i know what you mean. Its that glacial pace that will deter most people from watching it but its also that pacing that makes it so spell binding once you are invested in it.
Page: << < ..171172173174175.. > >> Showing page 171 of 374
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0