Hot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: << < ..146147148149150.. > >> Showing page 146 of 370
Author
gavinx
  • Total Posts : 106
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 11:45:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

Crash is excellent, strange and disturbing.

the cronenberg one or the more recent one?

not a big fan of either really, but i enjoyed the girly one about racism and inter-connecting lives more than the wound sex one
Grade
  • Total Posts : 17255
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 11:48:41 (permalink)
I rewatched Crash (the race related one) recently and I don't think it's going to age very well. Very cheesy and some terrible acting especially from Ludacris. Thought it was amazing first time I saw it though

sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15336
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 12:53:46 (permalink)
I was referring to the Cronenburg adaptation of the Ballard book. I actually think the film is better than the book, Ballards novella's sometimes feel a bit stretched compared to his short stories which are usually perfect. Crash is a short story stretched into a novella. But as a film it works, and its perfect for Cronenburg.
Kola Nut
  • Total Posts : 25628
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 12:55:40 (permalink)
Memories of Murder (2003)

Watched this last night, it popped up on IMDB in the recommendations part so gave it a go and loved it.

Korean crime drama set in 1986, follows an investigation over four years of a serial killer bunning women in a small village. Great characters and very engaging. Quite a lot of rain which always seems to get me going plus a few flying kicks to boot. Read some reviews online since and quite a few people say that it's too long and slow but I never felt that at any point. Watch this film please. 8.4.

Have watched a couple of really good Korean films over the last week or so (Man From Nowhere, A Tale of Two Sisters). Am planning to watch The Good, The Bad, The Weird soon but more recommendations would be nice. Don't say Oldboy x
Joelus
  • Total Posts : 2575
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:02:29 (permalink)
tried to watch the town last night. turned it off before the end. shit 3/10

The Rat
  • Total Posts : 43250
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:07:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kola Nut

Watched this last night, it popped up on IMDB in the recommendations part so gave it a go and loved it.

Korean crime drama set in 1986, follows an investigation over four years of a serial killer bunning women in a small village. Great characters and very engaging. Quite a lot of rain which always seems to get me going plus a few flying kicks to boot. Read some reviews online since and quite a few people say that it's too long and slow but I never felt that at any point. Watch this film please. 8.4.

Have watched a couple of really good Korean films over the last week or so (Man From Nowhere, A Tale of Two Sisters). Am planning to watch The Good, The Bad, The Weird soon but more recommendations would be nice. Don't say Oldboy x

Got this on DVD - quality film. Love the end

Also try The Chaser - good, similar vibe
Kola Nut
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:22:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Rat

Got this on DVD - quality film. Love the end

Also try The Chaser - good, similar vibe

Cheers bud. Yeah the end is good. Tense stuff.
gavinx
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:48:00 (permalink)
i love cronenberg to death but i thought 'crash' was just awful. the concept is right up his alley, but i'm really not a fan of the script, the acting or the direction the narrative takes (which i'm sure must come from the novella)

DJModus
  • Total Posts : 1771
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:50:50 (permalink)
I've been going to see some all-time classics at the BFI cinema recently.. Went to see 'Ordet' on Saturday. I don't think it'll be everyone's cup of tea, but I can't remember a film that has sucked me in so completely without me realising it. It's so slow and minimal... the camera hardly ever cuts, it just films a whole room and pans across when people enter and exit. It's almost like a theatre production. It's really sad, but witty and it looks incredible.

For those who can bear to watch pure dialogue and perfect characterisation without the need for at least 3 CGI goblins and a minimum of 5 explosions and/or guns, then I would recommend giving this a go. Proper art, rather than just a cinematic experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uQEPjRog84
The Rat
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 13:58:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DJModus

I've been going to see some all-time classics at the BFI cinema recently.. Went to see 'Ordet' on Saturday. I don't think it'll be everyone's cup of tea, but I can't remember a film that has sucked me in so completely without me realising it. It's so slow and minimal... the camera hardly ever cuts, it just films a whole room and pans across when people enter and exit. It's almost like a theatre production. It's really sad, but witty and it looks incredible.

For those who can bear to watch pure dialogue and perfect characterisation without the need for at least 3 CGI goblins and a minimum of 5 explosions and/or guns, then I would recommend giving this a go. Proper art, rather than just a cinematic experience.

Sure it's a cinema and they are not wiping your brain?
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 14:29:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: gavinx

i love cronenberg to death but i thought 'crash' was just awful. the concept is right up his alley, but i'm really not a fan of the script, the acting or the direction the narrative takes (which i'm sure must come from the novella)

I rate it. No problem with the script, acting or narrative. Its very loyal to the book. Thought he really captured it all. Maybe not quite as gooder adaptation as Naked Lunch but decent effort, loads better than everything he's done post-Spider.
Invision
  • Total Posts : 20333
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 15:28:00 (permalink)
Watched enter the void the other day, liked it so much I bought it. haven't bought a film in so long. Probably in my top 5 now.
gavinx
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 15:31:50 (permalink)
it's very good, a real emotional sucker-punch... not sure i'd watch it again though
MuNz
  • Total Posts : 24568
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 15:34:37 (permalink)
Watched The Fighter this morning,was expecting to hate it but was actually pretty good.Some of the boxing scenes were laughable tho.
Got 127 hours to watch later

Horsey Boy
  • Total Posts : 16758
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 15:42:22 (permalink)
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - 9.5/10
DJModus
  • Total Posts : 1771
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 16:40:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DJModus

Sure it's a cinema and they are not wiping your brain?

Not only a cinema, but one you can take pints into.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 16:43:02 (permalink)
BFI kills it. Seem some quality obscure films there.
DjNefarious
  • Total Posts : 12028
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:35:04 (permalink)
Cinema options for tonight:
Michael
Repo Man
In Darkness
Martha Marcy May Marlene

What you lot reckon?
The Rat
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:45:53 (permalink)
Only seen Martha - really good

Warrior I watched last night. Decent but the story is proper cheese. Only get's away with it cause it's well acted. Could have easily been a striaght to DVD film. Seen people saying it's quality and stuff. It is still defo worth a watch

Man From Nowhere is me tonight
gavinx
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:46:02 (permalink)
none of the above

just rent 'under siege' and be done with it
Kola Nut
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:46:41 (permalink)

About to watch Enter The Void now.
DjNefarious
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:48:18 (permalink)

Make sure you've got no distractions.
MadameChaos
  • Total Posts : 2751
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:48:37 (permalink)
I heard Martha Marcy May Marlene is very good

Kola Nut
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:50:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DjNefarious

k.
DjNefarious
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:52:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DjNefarious

k.

I just reckon you'll get more from it if you can get properly immersed in it. Better suited to the cinema sadly.
Tropical Wilson
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:54:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MadameChaos

It's pretty gritty. Strangely compelling. Annoying lead.
DjNefarious
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 18:55:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Tropical Wilson

Just seen it's an audio description screening.
Grade
  • Total Posts : 17255
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/20 23:49:22 (permalink)
50 most anticipated films of the year:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/most-anticipated-movies-of-2012

Django Unchained will be big

sandmanJO3
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/21 10:13:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Tropical Wilson

Are you mental? That lil Olsen sister is amazing in it. Proper good new actress.
The Rat
RE: Film News + Reviews 2012/03/21 10:48:08 (permalink)
Yea, she is really good in it I thought

Didn't watch that film in the end. Will buy it
Page: << < ..146147148149150.. > >> Showing page 146 of 370
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0