Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ]Film News + Reviews

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 464
Author
sandmanJO3
  • Total Posts : 15341
2009/01/10 17:54:06 (permalink)

Film News + Reviews

If you watch a film and can be arsed to post a review about it, post it up here. Old or new, good or bad, anything. Hopefully thread could be a good point of reference for film heads.
i'll post a couple up in a second to get the ball roling

edit - updated title
post edited by sandmanJO3 - 2010/10/28 10:03:40
cockmelon
  • Total Posts : 9750
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:14:10 (permalink)
The Thing:

I was very drunk so I can't remember but there's definitely a thing in it

Stoopid_Fux
  • Total Posts : 7152
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:19:41 (permalink)
The Dark Knight - entertaining but overated
What was up with Batmans voice?!
Plus it did have some truely cringe worthy bits - ie- the two boats with bombs on .
Even for a comic book film was littered with some proper dumb moments.
Joker was good though.

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:24:46 (permalink)
you guys suck ass. my review is about to bully your reviews and take both your reviews dinner money
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:33:16 (permalink)
FAR NORTH – 2007  
Directed by – Asif Kapadia
Starring - Sean Bean and Michelle Yeoh (older crouching tiger woman)

Watched this at the cinema the other night as it was being re-screened. The plot is simple, a mother and her daughter from an Eskimo tribe are out cast as the tribe shaman says the daughter is cursed, consequently the mother and daughter live alone in the arctic, always moving their small camp to escape threats from other tribes and evil colonial bastards who would rape and kill them for a laugh. The film is set years after they are outcast and the daughter is in her 20s while the mother is in her 40s (?), historically its set in some arctic colonial period hundreds of years ago but its pretty vague about that. One day a mysterious strange (Sean Bean) turns up in the tundra, almost dead and unable to talk. He collapses and they take him in and look after him, and eventually end up competing for his affections.

Film looks amazing and is really well shot, lots of large scale still shots of the tundra and arctic mountains, you get a good feel for the place from the expansive cinematography style and the bleak soundscape. The acting is of a high standard apart from Sean Bean but he gets away with it cos he is a dappa shef lad. Its quite slow paced to start with but it does build up nicely to a fucking unexpected and dark ending. There are a number of flashback sequences along the way that give you more info on the Eskimo woman’s back story which breaks up the film well so its not all just bleak isolation.  

Gripes are with the plausibility of the ending, even though its cinematically good, it is pretty much absurd and completely impossible. Other gripe is the old language gripe, they all speak in English, which is retarded as two of the three main characters are form an indigenous tribe.

I would say a lot of people wouldn’t enjoy the pace of the film, there is not a lot of action really, but if you like well made films its worth a look. Wouldn’t buy it myself though.
post edited by sandmanJO3 - 2009/01/10 18:41:28
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:37:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stoopid_Fux

Plus it did have some truely cringe worthy bits - ie- the two boats with bombs on .
Joker was good though.

i would say very very overated
troy_tempest
  • Total Posts : 1415
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:40:38 (permalink)
dark knight was LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG.......(and boring)
Exit2
  • Total Posts : 5736
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:44:11 (permalink)
LOL, are you trying to recreate the 'DNBA Film Club' days? Look at it this way, if no one else on here could be arsed back then I doubt anyone is going to post anything worthwhile now. Saying that I've just watched Into The Wild so I might post something about it later plus The Darjeeling Limited is on tonight. Go me!

Your mum rates me
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 18:51:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Exit2

LOL, are you trying to recreate the 'DNBA Film Club' days? Look at it this way, if no one else on here could be arsed back then I doubt anyone is going to post anything worthwhile now. Saying that I've just watched Into The Wild so I might post something about it later plus The Darjeeling Limited is on tonight. Go me!

LOL, yeah pretty much. I think that failed cos everyone had to get hold of the same film before anyone could post any thoughts about it, this way any film u watch is good to go.

A few people were on point and had some interesting thoughts in the film club thread so im banking on them to deliver the goods. u were one of em exit2, dont go floppy on me now

Exit2
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 19:59:19 (permalink)
Into The Wild

Into The Wild kind of flew under the radar for me. I mean I was well aware of the film and roughly what it was about. Put it this way I knew the fate of the main character beforehand so the ending of the film wasn't quite a surprise. I was expecting a 'soul searching' film where one 'finds himself' in a typically diluted Hollywood manner but I'll say that the film had genuinely made an impact in the story it was telling with it's own philosophical outlook on life. Sean Penn who directed the film is able to take the original text which just happened to be non-fiction and make something that quite possibly could've been far more pretentious and bloated then it needed to feel easily accessible to a wider audience

The film looks like it would've been absolute torture to film for the bloke playing the lead character, Emile Hirsch. I'm guessing he had a cup of coffee and a chat with Christian Bale on how to get into character, rented out The Machinist from Blockbuster and then proceeded to starve himself during filming. You go every step with him as he hitch-hikes and kayaks his way around the country till he eventually reaches his destination as the film cuts back between his time in Alaska and his actual journey getting there. The acting from everyone was pretty much spot on without pretty much nothing to fault it on. Adding to this the cinematography is on fine form capturing some beautiful sights and scenic shots of rural America. Maybe the camera work got a bit too much at one point near the end but I'll let that one slide

The film did it's job. It's a thought provoking road trip film about self discovery and human existence, and will have you gripped to the screen without feeling like it was dragging or trying to pad itself out over the 2 hours and whatever minutes it runs. I guess the film at the end of the day is a tragedy filled with periods of feel good moments, a bit like life in general. What you want to take away from this film is up to you. I mean, was he right in upping and leaving everything and everyone to break away from the 'prison' he saw himself falling into like his parents had? Was he just a selfish and deluded cunt who never took the time to just take a step back and appreciate what he had, especially with a sister who without fail loved him, where also him being at a point in his life where he could've been as successful as he wanted? It'll make you ask yourself these questions and loads more after the final credits are rolling, but look at it this way, at least maybe you won't have to go through the journey he went through to finally realise what he eventually discovered

Your mum rates me
cockmelon
  • Total Posts : 9750
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 20:13:59 (permalink)
Thing is I usually just download a film after a quick look on imdb.com and just delete it if I don't like it.

rainey
  • Total Posts : 1920
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 20:20:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stoopid_Fux

Joker was good though.

and comish gordon, i didnt understand a word that mumbling twat said in the whole film!

but i liked the film.

Psalm 144:1 - Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 21:00:27 (permalink)

Into The Wild

addded to my lovefilm list, sounds interesting. I aint read the book so i dunno what happens.
WombRaider
  • Total Posts : 7434
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 21:13:37 (permalink)
the croupier - cheap on play.com really ingrossing film - cheap bargain
Olimar
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 22:45:33 (permalink)
Chinatown
Jack Nicholson. Faye Dunaway
Roman Polanski

Bought this the other day after seeng it on film 4. Essentially it's a story about morality and corruption. It follows JJ Gittes (Nicholson) who gets involved in a murder (or suicide) case. Alot of people slip this film into the loose category of Film Noir, or to be precise, Neo-Noir (more modern Film Noir, usually shot in colour)

Without giving too much away, the viewer follows Nicholson's character as he uncovers unsettling secrets and ploys, which revolve around Mrs. Evelyn's Mulwray (Faye Dunaway [sm=inlove.gif]). Evelyn hires Private Detective Gittes to follow and photograph her husband, who she believes to be having an affair. Gittes is then drawn deeply into the background story of Evelyn Mulwray when her husband is found drowned.

The film is atmospheric, and almost meditative in its macabre unravelling, helped in large by William Fracker's stunning cinematography, and a soundtrack as ominous and brooding as the plot from Goldsmith.
El.Man
  • Total Posts : 3292
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 22:51:38 (permalink)
Johnny English - got it for £3....sat down....watched....laughed. Then removed it from the disc drive and put it back in the box. £3
Exit2
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/10 22:59:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: sandmanJO3

Into The Wild

addded to my lovefilm list, sounds interesting. I aint read the book so i dunno what happens.

Never read the book either so I honestly couldn't compare the two. Tis a good film though, honest

ORIGINAL: Olimar

Chinatown
Roman Polanski

Bought this the other day after seeng it on film 4. Essentially it's a story about morality and corruption. It follows JJ Gittes (Nicholson) who gets involved in a murder (or suicide) case. Alot of people slip this film into the loose category of Film Noir, or to be precise, Neo-Noir (more modern Film Noir, usually shot in colour)

Without giving too much away, the viewer follows Nicholson's character as he uncovers unsettling secrets and ploys, which revolve around Mrs. Evelyn's Mulwray (Faye Dunaway [sm=inlove.gif]). Evelyn hires Private Detective Gittes to follow and photograph her husband, who she believes to be having an affair. Gittes is then drawn deeply into the background story of Evelyn Mulwray when her husband is found drowned.

The film is atmospheric, and almost meditative in its macabre unravelling, helped in large by William Fracker's stunning cinematography, and a soundtrack as ominous and brooding as the plot from Goldsmith.

Never seen Chinatown before, I really really REALLY need to

Your mum rates me
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/11 14:10:52 (permalink)

Chinatown
Roman Polanski

I really need to see this again, I seen it but all i really remember is that Jack Nicholson gets his nose cut at one point.

Olimar
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/11 15:30:18 (permalink)

Chinatown
Roman Polanski

I really need to see this again, I seen it but all i really remember is that Jack Nicholson gets his nose cut at one point.

Yeah lol he spends almost the entire film with a plaster on his face after he has his nostril sliced by a gangster (played by Polanski)

John Huston is next level as the main villain aswell.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/11 15:40:51 (permalink)
you just reminded me , Watched  other night -

THE TENANT

Directed by and starring Roman Polanski

Was expecting this to be good but it was a massive dissapointment. About a tenant (duuuuh) who lives in an apartment where the previous tenant killed herself by jumping out of the window. The rest of the residents in the flat are all  abit wierd and Romans character starts finding strange things in the apartment (e;g there is a human tooth stuck in the wall and shit like that). It almost should be a good film, but it just isn't. I found it so hard to give a shit about the main character or the girl who killed herself, there was just something drab and dull about the entire look and feel of the film. I actually fell asleep and didnt bother to watch the end the next day which is rare for me, so i dont actually know how it ends, but also really dont care. Think its just an avergae film that has aged badly and dropped from average to shit.

Avoid this film imo.
Olimar
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/11 16:05:10 (permalink)

you just reminded me , Watched  other night -

THE TENANT

Directed by and starring Roman Polanski

Was expecting this to be good but it was a massive dissapointment. About a tenant (duuuuh) who lives in an apartment where the previous tenant killed herself by jumping out of the window. The rest of the residents in the flat are all  abit wierd and Romans character starts finding strange things in the apartment (e;g there is a human tooth stuck in the wall and shit like that). It almost should be a good film, but it just isn't. I found it so hard to give a shit about the main character or the girl who killed herself, there was just something drab and dull about the entire look and feel of the film. I actually fell asleep and didnt bother to watch the end the next day which is rare for me, so i dont actually know how it ends, but also really dont care. Think its just an avergae film that has aged badly and dropped from average to shit.

Avoid this film imo.

Dunno man, from other reviews it doesn't seem so bad. Really feeling Polanski's stuff recently, you catch Rosemary's Baby last night on film4?

Just cannot wait for The Wrestler to come out tbh, supposed to be brilliant.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/11 16:18:20 (permalink)
dont get me wrong i loke Polanski, i rate him highly, thats why i rented this out. Its just not a very good film imo, drab and slow and didn't hold my attention, and i am not one to easily lose attention when it comes to films. Watch it man, see what you think. Its nothing on other stuff he's done.

Yeah THE WRESTLER will be sick. Darren Aranofsky is a fucking don, only seen Pi and Requiem For a Dream but you can see straight away the mans got clear visions for his films. Each film has really destinct imagery style. PLus Mickey Rourke is back from the dead! Gonna be huge i'll wager.
Kris
  • Total Posts : 16348
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/12 09:27:57 (permalink)
post edited by Kris - 2011/10/26 12:20:46

Exit2
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/14 15:24:38 (permalink)
Slumdog Millionaire

You have to hand it to Danny Boyle; no matter what you think of the man he always produces films of significance no matter what the subject is. Films that are always worth watching regardless of their eventual success or whether you end actually enjoying them or not. If he's not bringing us psychotic house mates trying to run off with the cash in Shallow Grave, addiction and the mundaneness of life with Trainspotting or trying to spunk away a million quid before the Euro takes over the country in the underrated Millions then he's reviving the 'zombie' genre with 28 Days Later or trying to reignite the sun to save Earth in Sunshine. Regardless of contrasts between each film he directs you can at the same time link them together through their energy and vibrancy that reaches out from the screen as you're watching. Even though he doesn't exactly churn out films at the rate most big directors do in his credit you're always guaranteed quality no matter what and a film that happens to differ vastly from the last effort he would've directed, something you should give props to the man on especially when there are directors out there who will find a comfortable niche in cinema and continue to produce from within it without challenging themselves or doing anything that much different. So from here he jumps straight from psychological Sci-Fi drama/thriller Sunshine that from what I've read was near enough torture to finish with special effects alone taking a year to complete to a saccharine Mumbai tale of romance and fate that is Slumdog Millionaire

The basic story is simple, Jamal aka that lad off Skins (don't ask me, I never watched it) finds himself on the last question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Ninety nine percent of people would be on the show purely to win the top prize and nothing else, but in reality he is only on there to find his long lost friend and love interest, Latika who have been constantly torn apart through varying circumstances throughout their lifetime. Since he knows she watches the programme religiously what better place to get her attention then to go on there and make himself known. Jamal proves to be successful and as a result the people behind the programme's production and the police think he's cheating with the game show host in particular being sceptical of his knowledge and luck... or is is luck at all or is it destiny that is assisting him? This is basically what the film asks from the word go and a question that you'll eventually find the answer to.

As the film advances we cut back in time to find out how Jamal actually knows the answers to the questions he is being asked and it's also here we see the journey he has to make to eventually reach the destination he is currently at. It is along the way you also realise that Slumdog Millionaire is a film of stark and massive contrasts and nothing better demonstrates that through Jamal's progression then through the stunning cinematography and radiant shots of Mumbai. When the film is dark it can reach low levels of bleakness, not necessarily just visually but also in its character's ethics, mentality and morality, but when the film is light however you see some stunning shots of Mumbai and it's slums as the film crackles with a colourful, kinetic energy and a vibrant soundtrack that gives the film it's extra kick of adrenaline. I dunno, the easiest and laziest comparisons to match this film with are with the striking shots of City Of God and Paul Greengrass's documentary-like chaos of The Bourne Ultimatum during chase scenes including one involving street kids being chased by the police. The visuals are brimming with colour with it's shades of hue turned up to maximum

People who are saying this is a cheesy film are missing the point of the whole thing. Considering the film is based in a world filled with absolute raw bright energy bubbling with moments of cliché, where morality is as polarized and black and white as your old Westerns from the 50s and 60s there is still an underlying grit running throughout the film with some anguishing and violent scenes that you wouldn't typically see from a film that's being marketed as simply a 'feel good movie' by the film distributors. Tough scenes involving children that will get to you at points, and I think people going into this film purely on the marketing is going to be left surprised and maybe cheated by the end result. The film reminds you this right at the very beginning as well where we see Jamal being tortured in the police station and continues to remind you of this throughout the film. No character escapes the film without any form of hardship, physically or mentally even if there is a 'happy ever after' conclusion. Though it's written, produced and directed by Western figures it's still a film based in India with Bollywood roots, how else do you expect the ending to be? Are you really going in expecting anything else then a happy ending? End of the day Slumdog Millionare is basically a fable with a story that was never intending to be realistic even if its terms and rules are based and grounded in reality. The dance at the end typical of most Bollywood films illustrates that the film was always a fantasy and was always intended to be seen as some sort of 21st century tale, never some documentary or political commentary of India. The setting of the film in all's honesty couldn't be any more fitting. Considering Danny Boyle's last two efforts have had strong starts and suffered from weak endings (maybe due to Alex Garland's writing), the fact he's managed to keep the energy and enjoyment levels at a consistent rate throughout including the delivery of a satisfying ending third time lucky can be looked at as something as an accomplishment.

I was sceptical when all the American critics were lavishing it with blanket praise back in November and in a way I still feel I was right to be wary. I honestly think it has now reached a point where it is now getting so overpraised the hype behind it including all it's awards and it's potential to clear up at the Oscars this year is bound to leave some people thinking 'is that it?'. Regardless of that this is still a really good film that deserves the positive attention it's getting and that it should fill you with all the emotions a film should aim to induce in an audience. Most importantly though it will leave you feeling good by the time the credits start to roll, though it's not necessarily a clean cut 'feel-good' film the film distributors would like you to think like I've mentioned earlier you will leave the film feeling like that, and that at the end of the day is all that matters

ZZZzzzz

Your mum rates me
Myxomatosis
  • Total Posts : 6118
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/14 16:05:22 (permalink)

Chinatown
Roman Polanski

hardly a review, more of a synopsis

hello dave.....
vamos
  • Total Posts : 6763
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/14 16:19:19 (permalink)

Slumdog Millionaire

You have to hand it to Danny Boyle; no matter what you think of the man he always produces films of significance no matter what the subject is. Films that are always worth watching regardless of their eventual success or whether you end actually enjoying them or not. If he's not bringing us psychotic house mates trying to run off with the cash in Shallow Grave, addiction and the mundaneness of life with Trainspotting or trying to spunk away a million quid before the Euro takes over the country in the underrated Millions then he's reviving the 'zombie' genre with 28 Days Later or trying to reignite the sun to save Earth in Sunshine. Regardless of contrasts between each film he directs you can at the same time link them together through their energy and vibrancy that reaches out from the screen as you're watching. Even though he doesn't exactly churn out films at the rate most big directors do in his credit you're always guaranteed quality no matter what and a film that happens to differ vastly from the last effort he would've directed, something you should give props to the man on especially when there are directors out there who will find a comfortable niche in cinema and continue to produce from within it without challenging themselves or doing anything that much different. So from here he jumps straight from psychological Sci-Fi drama/thriller Sunshine that from what I've read was near enough torture to finish with special effects alone taking a year to complete to a saccharine Mumbai tale of romance and fate that is Slumdog Millionaire

The basic story is simple, Jamal aka that lad off Skins (don't ask me, I never watched it) finds himself on the last question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Ninety nine percent of people would be on the show purely to win the top prize and nothing else, but in reality he is only on there to find his long lost friend and love interest, Latika who have been constantly torn apart through varying circumstances throughout their lifetime. Since he knows she watches the programme religiously what better place to get her attention then to go on there and make himself known. Jamal proves to be successful and as a result the people behind the programme's production and the police think he's cheating with the game show host in particular being sceptical of his knowledge and luck... or is is luck at all or is it destiny that is assisting him? This is basically what the film asks from the word go and a question that you'll eventually find the answer to.

As the film advances we cut back in time to find out how Jamal actually knows the answers to the questions he is being asked and it's also here we see the journey he has to make to eventually reach the destination he is currently at. It is along the way you also realise that Slumdog Millionaire is a film of stark and massive contrasts and nothing better demonstrates that through Jamal's progression then through the stunning cinematography and radiant shots of Mumbai. When the film is dark it can reach low levels of bleakness, not necessarily just visually but also in its character's ethics, mentality and morality, but when the film is light however you see some stunning shots of Mumbai and it's slums as the film crackles with a colourful, kinetic energy and a vibrant soundtrack that gives the film it's extra kick of adrenaline. I dunno, the easiest and laziest comparisons to match this film with are with the striking shots of City Of God and Paul Greengrass's documentary-like chaos of The Bourne Ultimatum during chase scenes including one involving street kids being chased by the police. The visuals are brimming with colour with it's shades of hue turned up to maximum

People who are saying this is a cheesy film are missing the point of the whole thing. Considering the film is based in a world filled with absolute raw bright energy bubbling with moments of cliché, where morality is as polarized and black and white as your old Westerns from the 50s and 60s there is still an underlying grit running throughout the film with some anguishing and violent scenes that you wouldn't typically see from a film that's being marketed as simply a 'feel good movie' by the film distributors. Tough scenes involving children that will get to you at points, and I think people going into this film purely on the marketing is going to be left surprised and maybe cheated by the end result. The film reminds you this right at the very beginning as well where we see Jamal being tortured in the police station and continues to remind you of this throughout the film. No character escapes the film without any form of hardship, physically or mentally even if there is a 'happy ever after' conclusion. Though it's written, produced and directed by Western figures it's still a film based in India with Bollywood roots, how else do you expect the ending to be? Are you really going in expecting anything else then a happy ending? End of the day Slumdog Millionare is basically a fable with a story that was never intending to be realistic even if its terms and rules are based and grounded in reality. The dance at the end typical of most Bollywood films illustrates that the film was always a fantasy and was always intended to be seen as some sort of 21st century tale, never some documentary or political commentary of India. The setting of the film in all's honesty couldn't be any more fitting. Considering Danny Boyle's last two efforts have had strong starts and suffered from weak endings (maybe due to Alex Garland's writing), the fact he's managed to keep the energy and enjoyment levels at a consistent rate throughout including the delivery of a satisfying ending third time lucky can be looked at as something as an accomplishment.

I was sceptical when all the American critics were lavishing it with blanket praise back in November and in a way I still feel I was right to be wary. I honestly think it has now reached a point where it is now getting so overpraised the hype behind it including all it's awards and it's potential to clear up at the Oscars this year is bound to leave some people thinking 'is that it?'. Regardless of that this is still a really good film that deserves the positive attention it's getting and that it should fill you with all the emotions a film should aim to induce in an audience. Most importantly though it will leave you feeling good by the time the credits start to roll, though it's not necessarily a clean cut 'feel-good' film the film distributors would like you to think like I've mentioned earlier you will leave the film feeling like that, and that at the end of the day is all that matters

ZZZzzzz

Off to see this in an hour and a half! Your review was an interesting read.
sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 05:59:00 (permalink)

Slumdog Millionaire

Been waiting to find time to see this, looking forward to it.

Big ups Exit2,  good review.
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 06:06:04 (permalink)

Darjeeling Limited

no need to review this. its yet another wes anderson snore-athon.

check these two out, I love to vent at the cunts...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=siskel+and+ebert&search_type=

@ sandman - check out a film called Diva - its mint

sandmanJO3
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 10:42:11 (permalink)
ive added diva to my lovefilm list silentjob, but i feel i must declare war on you for cussng Wes Anderson
Fools Errand
  • Total Posts : 29787
RE: Film reviews 2009/01/15 10:44:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: cockmelon

Thing is I usually just download a film after a quick look on imdb.com and just delete it if I don't like it.

I seem to always go on there and see what people say about the film, if they have given it shit stars/shit comments I don't bother or delete it without a second thought. I should really give the film a chance but fuck it.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 464
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0