Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 297
Author
Joga
  • Total Posts : 41236
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:45:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DEEVS

ORIGINAL: Rachel

ORIGINAL: Joga

DEEVS is so disgusted with my lack of knowledge about gym machinery that he has decided to ignore me.

he's probably walking round the gym now trying to see which ones are which on your list of descriptions lol

here is what i can make sense of, some of them have fucking stumped me

Day 1:
- Pulldown - Lat Pull Down
- Push up thing (triceps/biceps) - this one has fucking stumped me lol Press Ups? they dont work bicep
- The shoulder one - Seated Shoulder Press
- The pushy out one (chest muscles) - Chest Press
- The back one (pulling the handles towards you, row or something) Seated Row
- The abs one - Abdominal Crunch

Day 2:
- Leg push thing - Leg Press
- Thigh/ass push thing - Glute Press? Leg Curl?
- Those two thigh ones, inny and outy - Hip Abductor/Adductor
- The other thigh/ass ones, lifting up/pulling down - Leg Extension?

Yeah they're all right I think.

- Thigh/ass push thing - Glute Press? Leg Curl? - on this you stand up and lean with your chest on a plate thing and push your leg back to lift the weight

- Push up thing (triceps/biceps) - this one has fucking stumped me lol Press Ups? they dont work bicep - on this one you sit down with a handle on either side and lift the handle which in turn lifts the weights, it is like the opposite of the lat pull down basically
Joga
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:47:21 (permalink)

DEEVS I do 3 sets of 10 reps on all machines, is this good/bad? Would more sets/less reps be better? Or any other combination?

Cheers.

ok how many machines do you do in one session, list them please?

If I go 3x a week I tend to do (not sure of machine names so this might be entertaining):

Day 1:
- Pulldown
- Push up thing (triceps/biceps)
- The shoulder one
- The pushy out one (chest muscles)
- The back one (pulling the handles towards you, row or something)
- The abs one

Day 2:
- Leg push thing
- Thigh/ass push thing
- Those two thigh ones, inny and outy
- The other thigh/ass ones, lifting up/pulling down

Then day 3 mix and match between my favourites

That'll be about 25-30 mins of an hour-long session.

not bad why not do a 3 day split - its easy and definately works

Day 1 Back/Triceps

Day 2 Legs/Shoulders

Day 3 Chest/Biceps

????

That could work yeah, usually on the 3rd day I just re-do the most important muscles- i.e. the ones I want to look best

(Biceps, triceps, glute, chest basically)

Will give that a bash though, might even be that I can add another 5 mins of cardio as a result.

Is 3x10 a good amount? (Reps/sets)
DEEVS
  • Total Posts : 29270
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:47:56 (permalink)

Yeah they're all right I think.

- Thigh/ass push thing - Glute Presson this you stand up and lean with your chest on a plate thing and push your leg back to lift the weight

- Push up thing (triceps/biceps) - this one has fucking stumped me lol Press Ups? they dont work bicep - on this one you sit down with a handle on either side and lift the handle which in turn lifts the weights, it is like the opposite of the lat pull down basically

top one is glute press

second one sounds like a shoulder move

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Temp0
  • Total Posts : 21404
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:48:43 (permalink)

Isn't this the shoulder press?
DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:49:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Temp0

Isn't this the shoulder press?

thats what i reckon

it was the bicep bit that threw me

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Temp0
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:52:59 (permalink)
Like doing the Bicep/Tricep option on the Lat pull down as well. Works well.

Joga
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 15:56:13 (permalink)
I'll check tonight, thanks for accepting my idiocy on these matters.
DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:02:22 (permalink)

I'll check tonight, thanks for accepting my idiocy on these matters.

it will have a name on it

and it should have a man with red areas where its working

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Stowelly
  • Total Posts : 14508
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:33:05 (permalink)
cheers for the advice deevs!!! been propper lazy and not been for 2 weeks, really gotta get back into it, can really notice the difference when you havent been
cheekychic
  • Total Posts : 15126
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:45:56 (permalink)
Hi Deevs!

I see you are a bit of a Guru for this subject so I'm gonna chuck my qu into the mix as well!

I go to the gym every day in my lunch break, so after walking there and showering and walking back after it gives me 40 mins in the gym, at the moment (coz im new to this) I am doing 20 mins running on an incline and also 20 mins cross training......I'm looking to lose a lil bit around my midriff and (hopefully) chest area and generally just give a bit more definition to my waist and legs........can you give me any suggestions for floor work and a lil bit of weight training????

Thanks!!

www.myspace.com/cheeky_lucy

Da_Rizzle
  • Total Posts : 6978
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:48:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cheekychic

Hi Deevs!

I see you are a bit of a Guru for this subject so I'm gonna chuck my qu into the mix as well!

I go to the gym every day in my lunch break, so after walking there and showering and walking back after it gives me 40 mins in the gym, at the moment (coz im new to this) I am doing 20 mins running on an incline and also 20 mins cross training......I'm looking to lose a lil bit around my midriff and (hopefully) chest area and generally just give a bit more definition to my waist and legs........can you give me any suggestions for floor work and a lil bit of weight training????

Thanks!!

Why not run there? This can be your warm up.

If this place gets to much for you
DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:49:11 (permalink)

Hi Deevs!

Thanks!!

i got to nip out now i will sort it out when i get back.

sorry

GAME OVER MAN!!!
rekless
  • Total Posts : 3056
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:53:59 (permalink)
its all well and good to do an all over work out or split sets etc, but if you dnt eat right its pretty pointless and you will see minimal results

cheekychic
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 16:56:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Da_Rizzle

Hi Deevs!

Thanks!!

Why not run there? This can be your warm up.

Because running in boots, and my work clothes is not the ideal situation, and it would make eff all difference because its just round the corner so wouldnt be enough for a warm up

Joga
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 22:44:52 (permalink)
It was indeed the shoulder press...

Good to get back on it, seemed quite easy though, didn't feel like I was pushing myself that hard but did the same amount I usually do and at the same speed and resistance. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing?

Thinking it's a result of a) just getting used to the routine and needing to change something or b) the fact I've given up smoking during the week and only really smoke on weekends nowadays, and the positive effect this has had on my lung capacity.

DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 22:53:44 (permalink)

Hi Deevs!

Thanks!!

The cardio will do this

i would say go for the leg press for now - its one move that will pretty much do full lower body

ask an instructor to show you how to squat as this fires up the bum (you can start by doing it with a stability ball against the wall doing a body weight squat)

GAME OVER MAN!!!
PD
  • Total Posts : 12062
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 23:11:23 (permalink)

DjNefarious
  • Total Posts : 12028
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/20 23:56:02 (permalink)
s'all aboot muscle ups + chin up leg raises (do a chin up and lift legs, while keeping them straight, until they are parallel with the ground as you reach the top of the pull up)

http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/muscleup.htm
Sano
  • Total Posts : 6829
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 00:54:14 (permalink)
DEEEVS

I just started last week. Im on a 3-day split but I dont want to lose weight. Only get fit, and tone. I am doing:

3 exereciss for each muscle group, 3 sets of 10reps

Day1 - Chest/Back       + 10min abs + 30min cardio
Day2 - Shoulders/Legs  + 10min abs + 30min cardio
Day3 - Biceps/triceps   + 10min abs + 30 min cardio

I dont take supplements.

Is this suitable? Have you any advice?

Thanks in advance.
DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 01:03:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Sano

DEEEVS

I just started last week. Im on a 3-day split but I dont want to lose weight. Only get fit, and tone. I am doing:

3 exereciss for each muscle group, 3 sets of 10reps

Day1 - Chest/Back       + 10min abs + 30min cardio
Day2 - Shoulders/Legs  + 10min abs + 30min cardio
Day3 - Biceps/triceps   + 10min abs + 30 min cardio

I dont take supplements.

Is this suitable? Have you any advice?

Thanks in advance.

its not too bad

my only criticism is your doing 2 big muscle groups together chest and back then 2 small muscle groups together biceps triceps

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Temp0
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 09:11:38 (permalink)

This stuff seems to be working. One every morning at breakfast, then one half hour before exercise. Can't stop eating though, but def starting to notice a difference already in strength & body tone.

cheekychic
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 10:57:26 (permalink)

Hi Deevs!

Thanks!!

The cardio will do this

i would say go for the leg press for now - its one move that will pretty much do full lower body

ask an instructor to show you how to squat as this fires up the bum (you can start by doing it with a stability ball against the wall doing a body weight squat)

Cool thanks........nice to know that I am heading in the right direction anyway.........thought I would really hate going to the gym, but since I have stopped smoking skunk and the haze has lifted, I got more energy than I know what to do with and am loving eet!

Ruff Draft
  • Total Posts : 1359
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 11:51:43 (permalink)
@ Deevs

With creatine if I start using it do I need to use it every day or is it ok two take some before training and some afterwards on the days that I train? I play a lot of squash so don't want to be taking it when I play.
dj reakt
  • Total Posts : 1404
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/10/21 13:44:31 (permalink)
Been going regularly for the past 2-3 months, with no particular routine actually, and it was all going well till I hurt my leg running. I've always had weak ankles from spraining them skating but I can only run for about 5-10 mins max now before it kills and I'm starting to get a bit of a gut again, D'oh!
My routine's pretty shit, I just do the lot in one session, but I figured when I got to a point where I was happy I'd start planning my workouts properly and it was all working fine until the injury.
At one point I actually lost too much weight and wanted to bulk back up but it all seems to be going to my gut now, although that could be due to the excess beer I consume, which is the main reason I started going in the first place.

My general routine consists of...
1000 meters rowing to warm up then move on to either running or cross trainer for as long as my ankle can take.
flat bench 3/4x10, incline 3/4x10 and same on decline if it's available.
Barbell squats
cable cross flys top, middle, bottom 3/4x10 each
tricep pulldowns with bar and rope 3x10 each, then over my head, whatever that's called.
Rear delt fly and or oblique twist with the cable cross.
shoulder press, seated row and lat pulldowns 3x10
bicep curls on the machine or cable cross then with the curved dumbell I usually do 3 sets of 5x half curls up, 5x half curls down and 5x full curls.

Depending on what's available and which gym location I go to, as the equipment varies, I throw in some dips, crunches and random other things as I see fit...

What can I do to substitute for the running? More rowing at less resistance?

Kool FM every Fri 1-3am...
www.kool946fm.co.uk

Joga
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 20:34:30 (permalink)
Bump. A few question for DEEVS (or anyone else) please if you would be so kind!

Just joined Virgin from my shitty council gym and had a routine sorted today as part of my induction. I said to the PT guy my first aim was to lose a little weight and tone up. He gave me a routine that is essentially a weight training programme with very little cardio other than 5 minute interval training at the beginning/end of each session.

I'm sure he knows his shit or he wouldn't be working there but I'm a bit sceptical about being able to burn sufficient calories to lose weight doing so little CV training. I'm not really interested in getting hench, I wanna be toned and leaner.

The routine is pretty good imo, will I be on the right path or is it truly necessary to do a lot of CV training (he didn't seem to think so)?
Hippo
  • Total Posts : 6660
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 21:09:26 (permalink)
I'd stick to a fair bit of cardio for burning calories Joga. If you just want to tone, keep the weights a bit lower and increase reps. 3 sets of 20 on each exercise would be ideal. If you wanna bulk up, push your limits on lower reps. Hope that helps bud.  

Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29415
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 21:13:36 (permalink)
I got tired just reading this thread.

Mr.Mao
  • Total Posts : 356
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 21:34:54 (permalink)
I've always had the best results sticking to compound movements (BB Press, squats, deadlifts, shoulder press) Gives beginners a good base and introduction to weightlifting without getting to complicated.

IMO a good beginners routine would look something like:

For Rep/Set ranges i've always found 3 to 4 sets of 7 to 10 reps works quite well.

MON: Flat barbell press, Incline Dumbell press, Dips, Bicep Curl, Chins, Squats
WED: Deadlifts, Barbell Rows, Pullups, Calf Raise (could also throw in some abdominal exercises after)
FRi:  Shoulder Press, Upright Rows, Tricep Pushdown, Overhead tricep extension, Hamstring curls.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Search.html   << quality site for finding out how to perform most exercises aswell.

DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 21:42:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ruff Draft

@ Deevs

With creatine if I start using it do I need to use it every day or is it ok two take some before training and some afterwards on the days that I train? I play a lot of squash so don't want to be taking it when I play.

if its powder im pretty sure you load it for a week then maintain it take the recommended dosage each day

the thing is it takes a while to react so if you dont take it on a squash day it wont make any difference from when you do

main thing is drink lots and dont stay on it for too long!

GAME OVER MAN!!!
DEEVS
RE: @ Gym peeps 2008/12/02 21:46:48 (permalink)

Bump. A few question for DEEVS (or anyone else) please if you would be so kind!

Just joined Virgin from my shitty council gym and had a routine sorted today as part of my induction. I said to the PT guy my first aim was to lose a little weight and tone up. He gave me a routine that is essentially a weight training programme with very little cardio other than 5 minute interval training at the beginning/end of each session.

I'm sure he knows his shit or he wouldn't be working there but I'm a bit sceptical about being able to burn sufficient calories to lose weight doing so little CV training. I'm not really interested in getting hench, I wanna be toned and leaner.

The routine is pretty good imo, will I be on the right path or is it truly necessary to do a lot of CV training (he didn't seem to think so)?

he is trying to get you to burn calories while doing weights, keep the rest rate to 30 seconds do 15 reps

maybe come in on day 4 or whatever and do cardio

interval is good for getting fitness levels up and burning calories, cant see why he is getting you to split it and classing one as a warm up and a cool down .

how experienced are you in the gym?

GAME OVER MAN!!!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 297
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0