Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..316317318319320 > Showing page 319 of 320
Author
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3489
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/02 15:39:04 (permalink)
Nice one NZ ✌

Flirted with the idea of looking to compete in next 12 to 18 months but having spoken to a few people who have, dunno if I can hack the toll it takes on your mental health tbh
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1346
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/02 22:39:58 (permalink)
SW14
Anyone ever had a trapped nerve? How do you get rid of it? Had one in my leg for 6 months now, doing my nut. Doesn’t affect strength, just sensation on the outer part of one quad. Numb, tingly etc.

Foam roller

Fuck doing bodybuilding shows, getting that dehydrated is just stupid. Oiling yourself up and going on stage is quite shit/gay as well.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12993
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/03 10:10:13 (permalink)
SW14
Anyone ever had a trapped nerve? How do you get rid of it? Had one in my leg for 6 months now, doing my nut. Doesn’t affect strength, just sensation on the outer part of one quad. Numb, tingly etc.

Yeah, had a trapped nerve in my shoulder/back and running right down my arm for a good few weeks, and it wasn't 100% for a month.

Google "nerve glide" or "nerve floss". Also, plenty of heat. 

badder2
  • Total Posts : 2401
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/04 07:54:59 (permalink)
CHOCOLATE BODIES 
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28110
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/04 09:48:43 (permalink)
SW14

Foam roller

This, everything this.

Smash that fascia to bits. 
Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3741
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/04 14:58:23 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
SW14

Foam roller

This, everything this.

Smash that fascia to bits. 

Do you know if those hand held rollers any good, like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...cp_apa_i_DuPbCbDD196Z1

I don't have anything like a trapped nerve but 3 sessions of heavy lifting a week is starting to take a toll on my legs but don't have time for a foam roller session at the gym. I could use one of the roller balls at my desk/sofa etc...

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28110
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/04 15:25:31 (permalink)
Consider the weight and force you can exert through your palm compared to your body weight.

The hand things will be ok for light work and small areas, but always body weight rolling is preferable as you can evenly spread a greater amount pressure across the area you want to work on. 

If you can manage 5 minutes on a roll, its better than nothing. Just move gently over IT bands and quads if thats all the time you have.
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1401
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/06 10:16:35 (permalink)
No-one trolling HHHHolmes?? Jesus, you lot are getting soft. "Good luck on grindr", "Nice one roid troll", "Looking forward to the day HHHH actually pops like a waterballoon" etc etc.

P.S. I don't care either way, he posted the gabber thread so <3 

...is this what you want???
Travs
  • Total Posts : 598
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/24 19:23:00 (permalink)
A couple of weekends ago had a 38 mile ultra around the high passes and valleys surrounding Helvellyn in the Lake District. Unfortunately the MWIS forecast was for a -22c wind chill, 80mph winds, and frequent whiteout conditions. Instead it got shortened to about 25 miles.

Still a tough ask, particularly as we still had to visit the highest part of the route. I was chasing an ambitious target of 5hrs, and threw caution to the wind in the final few miles. Unfortunately this led to me taking an unscheduled detour down a small (frozen) waterfall, and landed pretty heavily on my arm. At the time I was so cold, and no time to feel sorry for myself, so I just got up and carried on, and missed my 5 hour target by one bastard minute. But the effort got me a top 50 position out of around 250.

Was an hour behind the winner, but times go out the window in races such as that (I beat the final finishers by over 4 hours).

Now the arm is recovered I've got 4 races between now and New Year's Day. Think the most interesting one is a downhill fell race on the 30th. We have to walk to the top of a fair sized mountain in Wales (Moel Famau), race starts at the top, and it's two miles, any way you like, to the pub in the village at the bottom.

I'm expecting a pretty reckless race, and not expecting to be in a fit state to drive home afterwards, so getting a lift from my parents.
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1163
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/24 20:31:19 (permalink)
Travs
Now the arm is recovered I've got 4 races between now and New Year's Day.

Good stuff!

Just been listening to David Goggins audiobook, he describes running a 100 mile race with no preparation, pretty nuts, he was full on hallucinating and shitting himself by the end of the race and pissing gravy for days afterwards.
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/30 19:05:53 (permalink)
Finished off the racing year with with a downhill fell race in North Wales today. Started off on the top of the mountain (Moel Famau), and was 2.2 miles and about 1500ft of descent. This presented the minor issue of actually being able to find the summit in the clouds.

Was able to compete in terms of speed and technique, but suffered through not knowing the optimum route through the mist. Was comfortably in the leading group of 5 when the path split, myself and the race leader going left, everybody else right. When we converged below the clouds I was in around 15th and about 30seconds behind the lead group.

Rallied back to the top 10, but lost sight of those in front and didn't know the best route back through the fields, and had to take the longer but foolproof route back along the road, putting in an extra couple of hundred metres. Think I finished about 20th.

The two errors probably costing no more than about 75-90secs, but in a race that only took me 14 mins, that is a big chunk, and I expect the difference between finishing in 20th and finishing in the top 5 or 6.

Unfinished business. And probably the maddest race I've ever done, absolute pain and danger from the off.

Starting the new year off with a bang on Tuesday, with a quick race from Kirkby Stephen to the top of the Pennines and back.
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2991
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/30 19:20:58 (permalink)
Dropped a 35kg dumbbell on my finger on Christmas Eve and the end of my finger just burst under the impact. Cue lots of blood and bits of fat poking out of the end.

That’s no lifting for me for a few weeks at least, just in time to get back when all the resolutioners are giving up...
dnbsmurf
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/30 21:57:43 (permalink)
Damn that sounds painful.. how did you manage that? I've dropped a heavy dumbbell on a brand new iphone before (phone fell out of my pocket as I was chest pressing). Luckily it was at the time of the bendy iphonegate, and I managed to blag the guy in the Applestore that it bent in my pocket when sitting down quickly with tight jeans on lol. Avoided crushing any body parts so far tho, sounds nasty that.
H. H. Holmes
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/30 21:59:30 (permalink)
Shattered my phone screen the other week when my locker key was in the same pocket as my phone and pressed my legs firmly against the support whilst doing lat pulldowns. Looks like a spider's web. Cunt.
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2991
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/31 15:12:40 (permalink)
dnbsmurf
Damn that sounds painful.. how did you manage that? I've dropped a heavy dumbbell on a brand new iphone before (phone fell out of my pocket as I was chest pressing). Luckily it was at the time of the bendy iphonegate, and I managed to blag the guy in the Applestore that it bent in my pocket when sitting down quickly with tight jeans on lol. Avoided crushing any body parts so far tho, sounds nasty that.

Was sitting with the weights on my lap about to push them back and up to do some bench. Took my hand off one to scratch my nose and it slipped under the DB it was resting against and crushed my finger between it and the handle of the other one. Was surprised it burst tbh. Looked like it should’ve hurt more than it actually did from the injury
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/01 14:47:49 (permalink)
Whilst anyone with any sense was inhabiting the feels thread, pissing on carpets, etc.... I set out for a three hour drive to Kirkby Stephen on the Cumbria/Yorkshire Dales border, for an 8 mile fell race up to the beautiful Nine Standards summit and back, up on the Pennines.

Was very tough due to the initial 4 mile climb to the summit being almost runnable the entire way, I.e it never got steep enough that a racer of my 'calibre' could justify dropping to a power-walk. So the pain and grind was continuous.

Eventually hit the summit in 39 mins and in 36th place. The return took a mere 27 mins however I did lose 8 places and came home 44th. Which is a fairly clear indicator of where my strengths and weaknesses lie.

The organiser stated that it was the driest conditions he had ever seen up there.... one bridge over a stream was underwater so fuck knows what it's like on a bad year.
post edited by Travs - 2019/01/01 14:49:05
Aunty West
  • Total Posts : 20723
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/10 18:12:11 (permalink)
Joined gym induction this coming Monday.

#midlifecrisis incoming
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2401
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/11 09:19:35 (permalink)
Anyone do any HIIT sprinting? Seen any good results? 

H. H. Holmes
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/11 10:16:44 (permalink)
badder2

Find a nice sized STEEP hill near to where you live - sprint up it and I mean SPRINT like as close to genuine 100% effort as possible. Walk back down it and immediately repeat. By the 10th rep you'll be a quivering mess guarenteed.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1739
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/11 11:55:54 (permalink)
Whowhere
badder2

Find a nice sized STEEP hill near to where you live - sprint up it and I mean SPRINT like as close to genuine 100% effort as possible. Walk back down it and immediately repeat. By the 10th rep you'll be a quivering mess guarenteed.

I probably will be well before the 10th rep
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 17:11:03 (permalink)
If you're not used to hill sprints I predict imminent death on about the 2nd rep!

League cross-country today on an undulating course at Northampton. The standard is just ridiculous... I'm a decent runner and knocked out 10km in 39mins dead, on mud/grass/hills.... still only came 183rd out of about 300.

We've got a Somalian refugee runs for us... last year he ran for the refugee team in the World Champs, ran in the same heat as Mo Farah in either the 5000m or 10000m.in the 3 league races he hasn't managed to win yet.... 6th, 3rd and 2nd.

One guy today got singled out for applause as it was his 100th league race... even if he was ever-present that's 25 years of commitment, so accounting for injuries etc he's probably been at it 30 years, which makes him late 40's, or by the look of him, early 50's.... he beat me by 2 places.... so bloody strong....

Now booting it up the M1 as got a 24 mile fell race tomorrow from Marsden in Yorkshire, to Edale in Derbyshire, over Black Hill, Bleaklow and Kinder Scout. It's a notorious race and I know from experience that it's an absolute bastard. Temperatures are looking ok, wind chill will only be about -3 or -4 (in fact up there it's probably better off another 10 degrees colder and everything frozen over, as it's easier to run on). But 50mph winds are predicted, along with zero visibility. Could be a tough day, and not exactly feeling fresh after today.
post edited by Travs - 2019/01/12 17:13:04
Aunty West
  • Total Posts : 20723
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 17:19:03 (permalink)
Bloody hell do you ever take time out to get off your tits and dance?

Proper commitment that and I applaud you for it. I get tired reading about your exploits
Specialized1
  • Total Posts : 21740
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 17:42:45 (permalink)
Good luck Travs! Kinder Scout is tricky enough when the fog descends let alone what you're doing.

STEAM - McGrayUK
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 17:49:49 (permalink)
Nah I don't really go out now. Just got a different life... and I thought everyone on here knew that there's nothing since 2001 worth dancing to anyway?!

Yeah Kinder Scout is heavy... but at least you're always within a couple of miles of either the north, south, or western edge, so can usually relocate yourself. It's Bleaklow which gets the arse going... just miles of wilderness stretching off in all directions...

It's the mental side which makes this race so hard. A couple of times I've got down into the Edale valley and reached a gate, and just been so mentally fucked I've not been able to open it, and had to climb over.
post edited by Travs - 2019/01/12 17:51:33
NZPhenom
  • Total Posts : 4821
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 21:00:36 (permalink)
You familiar with David Goggins, Travs? Recommend checking his stuff out, similar mental enduro flex and just all round inspirational mad man.

Just started doing Muay Thai, couple classes a week. Great fun and a really solid workout, quality variation from gyming.
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/12 21:30:56 (permalink)
Never heard of Mr Goggins, but I'll check it out...

Muay Thai is indeed fantastic... before I started flogging myself to death on the fells I was well into Muay Thai and had a few fights. It's fantastic for just about everything... balance, co-ordination, stamina, anaerobic strength... and if you do get well into it you can be amazed at what you can learn... one day after about 5 years it just hit me one session that this Palestinian lunatic was absolutely raining punches on me and I wasn't even bothered, just blocking them and deflecting them away.... a few years before I'd have shat it....

Also calmed me down a bit as I used to be first one up for a fight when things went off in a club or at the football (although never really getting in any really nasty situations).... it just helped me realise that that sort of behaviour is completely unnecessary.

For me the most impressive aspect of it is the timing... my favourite move was anticipating someone throwing a kick and taking their standing leg out before their kick connected. I valued that sort of stuff over and above having a ko punch.
post edited by Travs - 2019/01/12 21:32:13
Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 3002
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/13 08:53:13 (permalink)
Started getting back to peak fitness before Christmas. Lost 3/4 stone since mid December even with Christmas. Doing 2 PT sessions a week focusing on strength and core. Can't recommend yoga enough if you have pain from sport. I do it 2 to 3 times a week on and off for about 3 years now depending how much I train. I used to have a knee that was FUCKED but yoga ensures the entire leg/glutes function properly instead of loading all the impact on the patella/joint. 

The other big change is that I've become one of those pricks that doesn't eat gluten. I feel fucking terrible on the stuff, makes me feel exhausted and stomach have cramps. Haven't had it for about a week and energy levels are through the roof. OK I haven't been tested for celiac however I'm not willing to eat gluten for a month feeling awful. 
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/13 13:53:30 (permalink)
I had to retire in today's race. weather was absolutely foul, but was running well and picking up places with good navigation. But got myself lost on Bleaklow Moor, and spent about 20 minutes moving very slowly in artic weather, whilst trying to navigate myself back on track. I managed to find the checkpoint and make my way down to Snake Pass, but the slow pace had bought my body temperature right down, and I was already wearing all the layers I'd bought with me, and I was soaked to the bone.

A tough call to make after 3 hours of hard work, and probably only 1.5 hours from the end, but in the state I was in, going back up and onto Kinder Scout would have been pretty dangerous, so I'll live to fight another day.
Skrapes
  • Total Posts : 10853
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/13 19:04:13 (permalink)
Was this part of the Spine race or something different in the same area? Conditions look horrendous. It would be nice if it got a bit colder

wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2941
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2019/01/13 19:14:49 (permalink)
Travs
Never heard of Mr Goggins, but I'll check it out...

Muay Thai is indeed fantastic... before I started flogging myself to death on the fells I was well into Muay Thai and had a few fights. It's fantastic for just about everything... balance, co-ordination, stamina, anaerobic strength... and if you do get well into it you can be amazed at what you can learn... one day after about 5 years it just hit me one session that this Palestinian lunatic was absolutely raining punches on me and I wasn't even bothered, just blocking them and deflecting them away.... a few years before I'd have shat it....

Also calmed me down a bit as I used to be first one up for a fight when things went off in a club or at the football (although never really getting in any really nasty situations).... it just helped me realise that that sort of behaviour is completely unnecessary.

For me the most impressive aspect of it is the timing... my favourite move was anticipating someone throwing a kick and taking their standing leg out before their kick connected. I valued that sort of stuff over and above having a ko punch.

This is such a good feeling - only done it in drills and sparring but even that felt great. Love watching a MT fight when that happens

Shame about today for you but sounds like the most sensible option
Page: << < ..316317318319320 > Showing page 319 of 320
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0