Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..316317318319 > Showing page 318 of 319
Author
Travs
  • Total Posts : 570
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/11 15:42:48 (permalink)
You can improve from a "low level" (no disrespect intended) simply by upping the mileage, doing an extra run a week, etc. Until you have that base to build on, there's no point doing insane rep sessions, but build a foundation first.
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/13 21:49:44 (permalink)
Another big rep session tonight.

4 x 200m, 4 x 400m, 4 x 200m, with 90 seconds rest between each rep.

Rest 5 minutes.

Repeat session again but with 60 seconds between each rep.

After the hard weekend, I was hesitant to actually attempt it tonight, but thought I'd put in a big effort and keep the rest of the week steady.

All was going well until the second lot of reps, got to the 400metres and legs just gave up on me. Finished the session but lost nearly a lap on the guys around me.

I knew things were looking bleak when I couldn't manage the 100m walk/jog round the track, in the allotted 60secs rest time!

Remainder of the week will be incredibly steady as got another tough race Sunday and I'll need fresh legs to have any chance of a 'pb'
post edited by Travs - 2018/11/13 21:51:08
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2374
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 08:29:06 (permalink)
Out of interest travs do you have to eat like a fucking horse to keep any weight on? Your metabolism must be through the faakin roof. 
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 09:04:51 (permalink)
Don't suppose i eat much more than anyone else. although generally quite high calorie stuff. Meals tend to get larger through the day, which is quite opposite to the 'make breakfast your largest meal' convention. Tend to have just a spoonful of greek yoghurt for breakfast, and power on through 'til lunchtime. Save my calories up for the later in the day, prior to, and after training.

I'm pretty poor at tracking calories, but i expect around 3000-3500 calories a day. Although when i have a long race my intake goes through the roof in the following 24 hours, and this is the key for me, to keep this under control.

For the record i'm 6ft2 and around 79-80kg, so whilst i'm 'lean', i'm fairly well-built for a runner.
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2374
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 09:21:08 (permalink)
Fair enough. I don't do so much high intensity stuff but find when i do the weight drops off me unless i pretty much double what i eat normally. 
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 09:38:32 (permalink)
badder2
Fair enough. I don't do so much high intensity stuff but find when i do the weight drops off me unless i pretty much double what i eat normally. 

Indeed.

I played football for years, trained regularly, and just assumed i could eat and drink what i wanted, but over the years the weight slowly added up (almost un-noticeable how it crept up).

Diet plays such an important role in weight. If you nail diet and training at the same time, the weight can fall of. When i was at my heaviest, i stripped down from 102kg to 90kg in about 10-12 weeks, then powered on through and was down to 84kg within another 6-9 months. Then it got hard, as you need to fuel your body. But with a real effort got down to below 78kg for a fight, actually hit 76kg when training in Thailand (and could certainly have gone lower) but that's a totally different way of life.
Postman Pat
  • Total Posts : 15484
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 10:09:05 (permalink)
Travs
You can improve from a "low level" (no disrespect intended) simply by upping the mileage, doing an extra run a week, etc. Until you have that base to build on, there's no point doing insane rep sessions, but build a foundation first.

No offence taken man, I know my place lol

Biggest problem for me is motivation tbh, not been running at all since the mornings closed in. Once my routine gets broken I struggle to make time elsewhere.

I’ve got no ambition to run mad races though, might like to do a half marathon one day but that’ll do. I just wanna run 3 days a week to keep in reasonable shape really.

It’ll get easier to make time for exercise when the kids are older. That’s what I tell myself...
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 10:37:26 (permalink)
It's the motivation to actually get out and train which is the hardest part.

My target each week is currently 40 miles and 10000ft of climb. So even tonight which will be an 'easy' session I've got to get out to the gym, knock out a few slow and steady uphill miles, then get the strength work done.

I think if you've got a purpose or target it gives you that motivation. People often said to me they'd start Muay Thai, or running, "when they get fitter". But without jumping in and getting started, they can never find that motivation to start.

I just have to look ahead at my next races. Got a 55 mile fell race over the Cheviots on the 1st December so if i hadn't put the long steady miles in i'd have no chance of finishing (i expect the dropout rate to be around 50% in any case so it's not cut and dried).
Postman Pat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/14 10:47:25 (permalink)
Yeah I need to find a new motivation for sure. My initial motivation was literally couch to 5k, I was overweight and completely out of shape. Couldn't run for more than a couple of minutes at a time, I was a right state.

Now that I've lost 3 stone and can run 5k I need something new to aim for, trouble is that it needs to fit within my hour of allotted time in the morning or it won't happen. Perhaps I should enter a 10k and tell everyone about it so that I have no choice but train up for that. Hmmm. Maybe after Christmas 
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 16009
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 14:58:34 (permalink)
My right shoulder's been naused up for a while now ~ 6 weeks.

Doesn't bother me too much except trying to get comfortable when I low bar squat, it feels weak when my arm is behind my shoulder if that makes sense also a bit of pain say around 5-7/10 on pain scale.

I think I slept funny on it when I had an ear infection.

Do I go find a Physio Therapist, call into the GP's, stroll into Contemporary Chinese Therapy e.t.c

Not sure where to start.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12991
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 15:47:15 (permalink)
Joey Gunz
My right shoulder's been naused up for a while now ~ 6 weeks.

Doesn't bother me too much except trying to get comfortable when I low bar squat, it feels weak when my arm is behind my shoulder if that makes sense also a bit of pain say around 5-7/10 on pain scale.

I think I slept funny on it when I had an ear infection.

Do I go find a Physio Therapist, call into the GP's, stroll into Contemporary Chinese Therapy e.t.c

Not sure where to start.

Are you saying that it only hurts when you squat low bar? 

SW14
  • Total Posts : 13670
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 15:54:36 (permalink)
Travs
badder2

Indeed.

I played football for years, trained regularly, and just assumed i could eat and drink what i wanted, but over the years the weight slowly added up (almost un-noticeable how it crept up).

Diet plays such an important role in weight. If you nail diet and training at the same time, the weight can fall of. When i was at my heaviest, i stripped down from 102kg to 90kg in about 10-12 weeks, then powered on through and was down to 84kg within another 6-9 months. Then it got hard, as you need to fuel your body. But with a real effort got down to below 78kg for a fight, actually hit 76kg when training in Thailand (and could certainly have gone lower) but that's a totally different way of life.

Got down to the 60’s when training over there.

Wouldn’t mind a month of training out there now - simple life.
Joey Gunz
  • Total Posts : 16009
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 15:55:47 (permalink)
Nah it hurts anytime my arm travels behind my back basically lol but that's the only time it bothers me because I dont have much other purpose for my arm to be behind my back
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 20:46:51 (permalink)
Try reducing the weight and upping the reps. I've read a lot recently suggesting that most atraumatic injuries/sensations of pain related to lifting weights are derived from an increase in intensity that is in excess of some sort of physical threshold. Increasing volume temporarily allows the body to improve capacity to adapt to the higher intensity when you return to the higher weights and lower reps. 

For example, instead of doing three, four or five sets of five, take it up to four sets of fifteen for a week, sets of twelve the following for a couple of weeks, ten for a couple of weeks and so on until you hit fives again. This allows ligaments and tendons to catch up with muscles- which are able to adapt much more quickly. Pain is to be expected while you exercise, but shouldn't get more than a 2/10. Whilst going through this rehab, if you are in worse pain 24 hours later, decrease the load again next time you train and increase the number of reps accordingly. 

If you still have problems, try switching to high bar or front squats for a while. But do continue to try and move within that range of motion that was painful, albeit with more appropriate loads. 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/28 20:50:46 (permalink)
So you'd do 

Week 1= 4 Sets of 15 

Week 2,3= 4 Sets of 12 

Week 4,5= 4 Sets of 10

Week 6,7= 4 Sets of 8

Week 8,9= 4 Sets of 7

Week 10,11= 4 Sets of 6

Week 12= 4 Sets of 5 

All at RPE of 8

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9636
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/29 13:11:14 (permalink)
Anyone had a slipped disc?
I fucked my back deadlifting on Monday. I've been doing a lot of stretching but it's still pretty sore and I'm starting to prang that it wasn't just a pulled muscle
Postman Pat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/30 13:26:06 (permalink)
@ Travs and any other runners

When building up my fitness is it best to keep on adding a little more distance every week, or should I stay to a fairly low distance ie 5k and push to better my time?
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/11/30 18:07:51 (permalink)
My personal view is to keep adding distance, as that will naturally increase your general speed anyway, as your cardio system and capacity improves. Until such time that increased distance isn't helping your times improve. Then it would be time to start thinking about adding some speed into your sessions.

Adding distance is quite easy to do... just an extra mile here and there, or an additional run per week. Just don't go mental and go from a 10 mile week to a 40 mile week in one swoop.

It's taken me over 6 months to build up to my target of consistent 40 mile/10,000ft weeks, to the point where that feels fairly standard to me. And I was starting from a fairly strong base anyway.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 14:49:38 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Syzlack_24 2018/12/02 11:40:17
Syzlack_23
Anyone had a slipped disc?
I fucked my back deadlifting on Monday. I've been doing a lot of stretching but it's still pretty sore and I'm starting to prang that it wasn't just a pulled muscle

Under imaging, most people over the age of 40 have a "slipped disc", which is where the stuff from between the vertebrae has bulged out and may or may not be impinging on nerves. However, most people cannot feel this sensation. In addition, most "slipped discs" will resolve spontaneously within time. 

Unless you are experiencing "red flag" symptoms (numbness in extremities ie toes etc) continuing to move is paramount. Following a "tweak", stop what you are doing under load, do not panic, and try doing some "air deadlifts" or "air squats" for the rest of your session. Slowly continue to add weight over the next few sessions, removing weight if the pain increases significantly during your session following warming up or if you experience difficulty performing day to day activities. Avoid analgesics where possible. 

You should improve markedly. 

SmokedEggs
  • Total Posts : 2739
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 15:27:11 (permalink)
I injured myself at the gym the other day. First time back after slacking a few months. Got over enthusiastic on the seated row machine. My arms felt good so upped the weight, and then my chest was pressing against the padded bit and i just felt something in my ribcage go pop.

Wasn't very painful to begin with. Still not too bad now but has got slightly worse each day.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3444
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 15:44:39 (permalink)
Last July on the left, last week on the right. Wanna grow over the winter now and see what shape I can get into for next summer. Anyone ever competed?

(Don't watch the gloves from last year) 🙈

Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3734
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 18:54:11 (permalink)
Whowhere
Anyone ever competed?

My numbers are too low at the minute but I would love to in the next couple of years if I keep improving. I've only been doing it for 14 months so I feel like I'm still at beginner stage at the min.

My bench lets me down big time but once I reach 1000lbs on the three big lifts and bring my body fat down a bit, i might consider it.

What are your current 1RMs?

Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 20:33:15 (permalink)
I think he's possibly referring to bodybuilding type competing, rather than powerlifting?
Postman Pat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 20:41:53 (permalink)
Travs
My personal view is to keep adding distance, as that will naturally increase your general speed anyway, as your cardio system and capacity improves. Until such time that increased distance isn't helping your times improve. Then it would be time to start thinking about adding some speed into your sessions.

Adding distance is quite easy to do... just an extra mile here and there, or an additional run per week. Just don't go mental and go from a 10 mile week to a 40 mile week in one swoop.

It's taken me over 6 months to build up to my target of consistent 40 mile/10,000ft weeks, to the point where that feels fairly standard to me. And I was starting from a fairly strong base anyway.

Nice one, that’s what I’ll do then.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3444
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 21:59:52 (permalink)
Yeah sorry I meant as in physique not powerlifting!! Bench 125kg squat 165kg not doing deads atm cos of a slight back niggle tbh
Jimmy2Shoes
  • Total Posts : 6098
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 22:03:31 (permalink)
I’ve got a mate who does the bodybuilding comps. He looks fucking ridiculous though, all the fake tan and waving his arms around on stage.
NZPhenom
  • Total Posts : 4813
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 22:14:52 (permalink)
Jimmy2Shoes
I’ve got a mate who does the bodybuilding comps. He looks fucking ridiculous though, all the fake tan and waving his arms around on stage.

Lol.

Looking V WB HH - good job.
Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3734
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/01 22:39:43 (permalink)
Whowhere
Yeah sorry I meant as in physique not powerlifting!! Bench 125kg squat 165kg not doing deads atm cos of a slight back niggle tbh

Ah right. Got ya. Definitely not considered Bodybuilding competitively. Apart from the fact I've developed a bit of a belly whilst attempting to bring my BW up, i really don't think i could pull off the whole greased up shiny bronze tan in a thong look.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 13670
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/02 00:38:16 (permalink)
Anyone ever had a trapped nerve? How do you get rid of it? Had one in my leg for 6 months now, doing my nut. Doesn’t affect strength, just sensation on the outer part of one quad. Numb, tingly etc.
Travs
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/12/02 11:37:40 (permalink)
Ran the 2nd league fixture in the B'ham Cross Country League yesterday. Made the age-old mistake of starting very fast and knocked out the first 1km lap in something ridiculous like 3:15, then the next 3km hilly lap was a real struggle, just gasping for oxygen up the hills. Took about 20mins to recover and start picking back places again, finally getting over the finish line, 10 very hilly km in something like 38:12....

Really high-level event, running a respectable 10km road time, over a hilly and muddy course, and still only came about 210th out of 300.

Got a nice 38 mile mountain ultra in a fortnight, that should be more favourable to me.
Page: << < ..316317318319 > Showing page 318 of 319
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0