Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..311312313314315.. > >> Showing page 312 of 317
Author
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12952
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 13:46:37 (permalink)
Original Nuttah
Has anyone tried the Strong Lifts programme? Does it give good results?

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Yeah, I liked it. It has a nice app etc that's easy to use. 

I ran into difficulties with the squat when it got up to bodyweight- twice in fact- and had to deload that lift to something very gay to nail the technique properly. Injured myself a couple of times. This last time round I ran it as a 3X5 with working sets, but with loads of warm up sets, starting the session at something like 50kg and taking it up by 10 kilos per set. My old joints seemed to like this far more and I'm only just starting to plateau at 3X5 100kg. Will probably deload again or maybe look into an RPE based programme as I don't think my hips like squatting really heavy too much.

I put on about a stone and a half in six months. Some of it may have even been muscle. 

Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1641
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 14:12:24 (permalink)
Do you do much cardio with it?
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 14:29:36 (permalink)
I don't do alot, I typically do ten minutes of cycling, with three thirty second flat out sprints at intervals after an hour of lifting.  

When my achilles tendon doesn't feel like it's about to snap I'll sometimes drop a weights session and swap it for six sprint intervals over the park, reminds my body how to move properly. Can get a bit creaky when just grunting with metal. Going forward into the summer I may drop the weights for running sprints and swimming sprints in small 2/3 week blocks. 

Melts the chub right off quicker than anything else I've done

Original Nuttah
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 14:41:51 (permalink)
I was thinking of adding a few sessions on the punchbag for some cardio I actually enjoy.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 14:47:53 (permalink)
Original Nuttah
I was thinking of adding a few sessions on the punchbag for some cardio I actually enjoy.

I think any sort of high intensity interval stuff is worth doing, as long as it is after your lifting. 

Love a 3/4 mile jog, but it doesn't seem to burn any blubber, I have to get anaerobic for any decent return on my time

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9555
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 14:57:39 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Original Nuttah
Has anyone tried the Strong Lifts programme? Does it give good results?

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Yeah, I liked it. It has a nice app etc that's easy to use. 

I ran into difficulties with the squat when it got up to bodyweight- twice in fact- and had to deload that lift to something very gay to nail the technique properly. Injured myself a couple of times. This last time round I ran it as a 3X5 with working sets, but with loads of warm up sets, starting the session at something like 50kg and taking it up by 10 kilos per set. My old joints seemed to like this far more and I'm only just starting to plateau at 3X5 100kg. Will probably deload again or maybe look into an RPE based programme as I don't think my hips like squatting really heavy too much.

I put on about a stone and a half in six months. Some of it may have even been muscle. 

This is also me. I think 97kg for 5x5 is my best. Then i prang out/go on holiday/get ill and end up dropping the weight back down.

Personal Training Coach is a good free app which has Stronglifts and a load of other programmes in it
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16885
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 15:09:37 (permalink)
Yeah currently back on the 5x5 as my hotel gym has a squat rack. Work away a lot so it’s hard to keep up unless you have access to a squat and bench rack. Here till end of summer so hoping to get back to my best. Nice and simple program but when you start peaking it gets frustrating imo. I usually change project by then too so have to restart again later!
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3364
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 15:20:07 (permalink)
Prang out in what respect?
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 15:29:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Syzlack_24 2018/06/06 16:01:43
I can relate to the "this feels heavy, hang on a minute, was that weird sensation my knee about to pop" prangs. 

Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 16:01:34 (permalink)
Whowhere
Prang out in what respect?

About form. I start getting wobbly above 90kg
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 16:30:41 (permalink)
Syzlack_23

About form. I start getting wobbly above 90kg

I've been staying with the wobbly weight until it is criss biscuit. Then maybe up the reps/sets before upping the weight. No hurry. 

Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3729
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/06 20:22:57 (permalink)
5x5 is such a great program to stick with. I did it for 3 months (having never lifted any weight before in my life) and it did feel a little embarrassing at first (doing exercises with empty bar) but persevered and started getting much stronger quite quickly.

Went to 4 day split muscle group routine for 3 months then incorporated 5x5 in to that routine for the last 3 months.

Hit countless amounts of frustrating plateaus but if you stick with it, be consistent and deload when necessary... the progress is unbelievable.

My bench is still weak though. Been a slow and frustrating process.

Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2933
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 05:48:54 (permalink)
Does no-one else find the military press of 5x5 overly tough on the wrists and back?

It’s fine when it’s light but as soon as you start approaching 30-40 it just becomes very unpleasant
Tommy the Coat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 06:59:44 (permalink)
Not on my wrists but it did my back at first but i think that was down to poor technique more than anything (over arching).

Travs
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 07:16:29 (permalink)
On military press i have a staggered stance, almost like a boxing stance, and find it much easier to then keep a good posture/technique. The likes of 30-40kg no issue at all, and i'm an absolute pussy when it comes to lifting weights (tend to go light-moderate and more reps, for endurance rather than strength).

Had a few issues since my aborted long-distance race. A bit of mild Achilles tendonitis, which I've just about solved with a change of general running trainers. Unfortunately the new trainers need breaking in and have caused a few blisters which are just clearing up.

Have a monstrous fell race this weekend...  Ennerdale...  one of the 'Lakeland Classics', 23 miles and 7500ft of ascent over some of the most challenging terrain that the Lake District has to offer. Right into the wilderness, there's not even so much as a road crossing. The main issue, apart from the notorious navigation problems, looks like it will be the lack of water, as by all accounts there's only one water source on route that hasn't yet dried up.

Recently I've knocked out a couple of top 10 finishes, but i suspect i'm still a long way off achieving that sort of position in a big Lake District classic.

Also looking at a race in Tenerife for June 2019. 60 miles and approx. 20000ft is a tough prospect but not impossible, but the issue for me will be going up to 'altitude' as the race goes from the south coast, over Mt Teide, and finishing on the north coast. Basically a huge climb over a volcano and huge descent.
Original Nuttah
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 08:04:58 (permalink)
I can only do 5x5 on military press at around 35kg so I'll be going really light on it!

You really are a mad cunt aren't you Travs? 
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 09:02:08 (permalink)
Rudeboysy
Does no-one else find the military press of 5x5 overly tough on the wrists and back?

It’s fine when it’s light but as soon as you start approaching 30-40 it just becomes very unpleasant

I find that when I get to 45 plus it starts to grind and form starts to suffer. I got to 50kg and got injured, although not sure if as a result of the overhead press. Trapped nerve. That whole "head through the window" can be tricky when you are grinding it. 

Leg Warmer
  • Total Posts : 14642
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 10:57:50 (permalink)
Just started back at the gym today after a few years out and am on the Stronglifts 5x5. Never done it before, starting with the empty bar felt a bit odd but I'm sure no one cares. I like that it's a simple program so I won't need to get my phone out and record my progress after every set. Looking forward to being strong, muscular and incredibly sexy in a years time.
dimdum
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 17:19:53 (permalink)
Military Press? My app says overhead press

Same thing?
Tommy the Coat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 17:31:53 (permalink)
dimdum

Same thing?

Yeah, same.

Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/07 18:17:12 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Rudeboysy

I find that when I get to 45 plus it starts to grind and form starts to suffer. I got to 50kg and got injured, although not sure if as a result of the overhead press. Trapped nerve. That whole "head through the window" can be tricky when you are grinding it. 

I've switched to dumbell shoulder press recently and it feels a lot better.

Doing weights is so fucking good for my mental health. Just had my first session after two weeks off and I feel like a new man
dimdum
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 07:30:02 (permalink)
Tommy the Coat
dimdum

Same thing?

Yeah, same.

Ah ok. Yeah I can manage 50k but after that it’s either very nearly completing 52.5kg to not being able to do it all. Always hovering around it

Gunna try 50kg much slower for a while. See if it improves form and builds strength

Also is it just me or is waiting over 1:30 mins for the next set too long!? I get impatient
Travs
  • Total Posts : 530
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 07:42:13 (permalink)
Admittedly I don't do a "strength programme" but if you're training for strength, say 5x5 then you want to be fresh as possible for each set, so in my amateur opinion 1min30 seems pretty reasonable between sets.
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 08:38:49 (permalink)
dimdum

Gunna try 50kg much slower for a while. See if it improves form and builds strength

I always see that the "up" has to be explosive when I watch form videos, my problem is the return journey- I always get some sort of crunching/noise in one of the shoulders on the way back. Physio said it was just deterioration of ac joint and that's it, suck it up mate. 

Original Nuttah
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 09:13:34 (permalink)
The strong lifts programme will have to be delayed as I did my ankle playing football last night. I won't be squatting for a few days.
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1340
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 13:47:21 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Doing weights is so fucking good for my mental health. Just had my first session after two weeks off and I feel like a new man

Might have to heed that. Haven't been to the gym for ages - keeping fit with climbing and walking - but maybe I'm missing moving lumps of metal around as my general mood isn't so good.....hmmm.

...is this what you want???
Tommy the Coat
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 14:33:44 (permalink)
dimdum
Also is it just me or is waiting over 1:30 mins for the next set too long!? I get impatient

From what I’ve read, I think it’s about ATP replenishment in the muscles. You get a certain percentage of ATP back whIch allows you to manage a heavy weight (say 80 - 90% of your 1RM) for a similar amount of reps.

1:30 isn’t necessary when you’re at a weight you can manage relatively easily but much more important when you get to the heavy weights.

dimdum
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 14:46:53 (permalink)
Ah I see. Will have to try ride it out then. Feels counter productive waiting up to 3 mins to do 5 reps sometimes
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/08 15:29:06 (permalink)
dimdum
Ah I see. Will have to try ride it out then. Feels counter productive waiting up to 3 mins to do 5 reps sometimes

You could do super sets to get more bang for your buck.
Leg Warmer
  • Total Posts : 14642
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/06/09 18:01:56 (permalink)
Syzlack_23

This is why I've got back into it.
Page: << < ..311312313314315.. > >> Showing page 312 of 317
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0