Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..311 Showing page 311 of 311
Author
Travs
  • Total Posts : 442
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/08 20:08:30 (permalink)
Had a 40 mile race today around the outside of Coventry. Unfortunately had to retire after about 31 miles as my knee isn't quite recovered from last week.... could have probably carried on and hobbled round to the finish, but decided it wasn't worth the risk of doing some damage, with a 100 mile race on the horizon. Shame as I reckon I was in 2nd place when I bailed out.

But live to fight another day, and including today's race that's about 55 miles ran this week, and 13000ft of climb.
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/08 20:54:26 (permalink)
How did you get on running on the flat? I find it so easy to drop the pace without realising on the flat where as hills I don't for some reason. 
SW14
  • Total Posts : 11692
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/09 00:28:33 (permalink)
Travs
Had a 40 mile race today around the outside of Coventry. Unfortunately had to retire after about 31 miles as my knee isn't quite recovered from last week.... could have probably carried on and hobbled round to the finish, but decided it wasn't worth the risk of doing some damage, with a 100 mile race on the horizon. Shame as I reckon I was in 2nd place when I bailed out.

But live to fight another day, and including today's race that's about 55 miles ran this week, and 13000ft of climb.

Have a rest mate.

You’ll run yourself into the ground. I’ve had problems with my knee down the years and there have been times when I haven’t been able to jog at all, which isn’t a nice feeling.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/09 05:40:21 (permalink)
Rapt
How did you get on running on the flat? I find it so easy to drop the pace without realising on the flat where as hills I don't for some reason. 

I found it the opposite, strangely. Easy to keep up the pace, in fact it's hard work to keep the pace down to a sustainable level, and that possibly contributed to my problems later on.

I've just got so much more experience on the hills so know what pace to go at, but on the flat I've never done such a distance.

Didn't help that I had in my mind that I was a potential race winner, so I went out hard. In my 100 mile race I know that's a recipe for disaster and I'll run with completely different mentality and tactics, and of course the knowledge that I haven't got a hope in hell of winning, so I'll just quietly do my thing and pick my way through the field (hopefully!)
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/10 12:16:20 (permalink)
Had a couple of days to let the weekend's events sink in, and being brutally honest with myself, i didn't do a very good job.

Too hyped up with the thought of getting a good place, went out far too hard, and with a slight knee issue, it was always a recipe for disaster, especially having not done that distance on the flat (it's almost a different sport entirely from fell/mountain running). 

My 100 mile race will be a different kettle of fish as i have a plan, and i'm not looking to win, just to (hopefully) finish well.

In better news, I've been selected to run for Warwickshire in the British Fell County Championships. I'm the first to acknowledge that Warwickshire is not big mountain country, but it's the highest accolade i'm likely to achieve, so hopefully i don't fuck it up.
nice bit of green
  • Total Posts : 182
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/10 19:53:02 (permalink)
You're an animal Travs. Congrats on the county level. Don't be surprised if you're the only guy there!
Been doing 5k in the park beside my house with some body weight stuff tagged on after 2-3 times per week, it's about as much as I can handle but it keeps me sane.
Brought the 5 year old lad out today as he always wants to go for a run with me. He did about 1k with plenty of breaks for exercises on the way. Delighted for him.
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/10 21:17:01 (permalink)
Travs I had a twinge in one of my knees and knew I'd fuck it up if I ran on it so spent a week or so walking on the treadmill, incline 12-15 on 4.5 speed for an hour. Absolute killer and my knee felt fine. Just an idea if you want to keep training a bit while you're knee's playing up.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/11 05:20:32 (permalink)
Cheers for the advice. I've had two soIid days rest, and that's pretty much what I'll be doing for a few days on the treadmill. Can't really build much more endurance in the remaining 4 weeks until the race, so I'll just be making sure I get on the start line free of injury.
Ritualz
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/11 08:50:33 (permalink)
Rapt
Travs I had a twinge in one of my knees and knew I'd fuck it up if I ran on it so spent a week or so walking on the treadmill, incline 12-15 on 4.5 speed for an hour. Absolute killer and my knee felt fine. Just an idea if you want to keep training a bit while you're knee's playing up.

I usually spend about 25-30 min on the treadmill with the majority of it on 14 incline, with bouts of 30-40 seconds of running every 2 min. Do you tend to hold on to the top or the bars for support the whole time (except running) or switch it up? The support/balance you have when holding on makes it easier, but doesn't feel no where near as testing. Holding on is a lot nicer on the knees tbf.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/11 09:06:35 (permalink)
I personally don't hold on at all, whatever speed or incline, as for me it's sports-specific, and there's nothing to hold onto when running up the side of a mountain.

But if you're doing it for fitness there's no reason you couldn't hold on, expect for as you say, it's much less challenging, and you're not engaging your core so much to hold yourself upright. Of course, if you don't hold on, it's incredibly difficult to hold a good posture and you can easily find yourself bent over quite alarmingly.

I must admit that when using the stair-climber i lean my hands on the top, more for balance. But when i use that it's just for pure cardio effort than necessarily specific training.
Ritualz
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/11 10:21:40 (permalink)
Yea fair play, holding on is completely detrimental to your training. Like you said, it's about holding that posture and working the core as well as battering the legs and it's too easy to find yourself leaning forward if you don't hold on. Think i'll lower the incline a couple degree and work back up to this level once I've got the posture right.

The stairs is a percy of mine for cardio, sweat your tits on it climbing 100 stories
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/11 10:30:30 (permalink)
I never hold on to the bar, I will drop the incline down to 8 every 10 mins or so just to recoup a little. It's perfect for me as my mind can handle an hours walking on a treadmill a lot better than 20 mins running on one.
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9390
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/21 15:27:57 (permalink)
Anyone had any success in sorting out shoulder impingement? My shoulders/back are fairly fucked from a decade of sitting at a desk. Might give pilates a go...
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/22 15:09:29 (permalink)
Short 5 mile fell race in the Long Mynd (Shropshire) today. Finally got a top ten finish, coming home in 8th despite a massive fall and now having what appears to be a 2nd kneecap on my left leg.

Managed to improve on last year's time by 12 minutes which I was absolutely shocked by. I've been working hard but didn't expect such a good result. Was only 6 mins behind the winner, and within a couple of mins of 3rd place, so I can get there if I keep working hard.

Of course this has absolutely no bearing on my performance at the 100 mile race in a couple of weeks, other than a massive confidence boost that I'm moving in the right direction.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 32010
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/22 16:35:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Smokey McPot 2018/04/22 21:23:24
Syzlack_23
Anyone had any success in sorting out shoulder impingement? My shoulders/back are fairly fucked from a decade of sitting at a desk. Might give pilates a go...

I do pilates and yes, it helps my back.

Give it a whirl.
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/24 21:24:57 (permalink)
Travs
Short 5 mile fell race in the Long Mynd (Shropshire) today. Finally got a top ten finish, coming home in 8th despite a massive fall and now having what appears to be a 2nd kneecap on my left leg.

Managed to improve on last year's time by 12 minutes which I was absolutely shocked by. I've been working hard but didn't expect such a good result. Was only 6 mins behind the winner, and within a couple of mins of 3rd place, so I can get there if I keep working hard.

Of course this has absolutely no bearing on my performance at the 100 mile race in a couple of weeks, other than a massive confidence boost that I'm moving in the right direction.

This comes highly recommended, might be worth having a read/listen before the 100 miler.

https://www.amazon.com/En...formance/dp/0062499866
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/28 17:29:15 (permalink)
Struggled a bit over the last week. Big race looming now in less than a fortnight, and feeling the effect of the increased effort and mileages, not to mention last weekend's very tough race.

But today was the National Masters (over35's) Road Relays in Sutton Coldfield Park. I pretty much hate running on the road, but got to do my bit for the club, and running in a team is always a good day.

Ran the opening leg (3.1 miles so basically a 5km), fairly hilly for a road course. 19:13 which although a decent time, is no great shakes at that level, and shows the difference between what I seem to be able to do on the fells and my ability on the road.

It's certainly good to do road work, it's hard and relentless, and if you take your foot off the gas for a moment then people stream past you.

I did feel sorry for one guy who spent well over a mile stalking me, bringing the 20 metre gap behind me down, metre by metre, over about 10 minutes, and was right on my shoulder. I tried to drop him on a flat section and temporarily got away, but he came straight back again. Fortunately with half a mile to go we reached the steepest hill and I knew I was safe once there. The gap he spent 10 mins closing down opened up again in the space of about 100 metres, which pretty much broke him, and saved me the pain of an uphill sprint finish to hold my position.

Could certainly have ran a minimum of 30secs quicker if fresh, perhaps even up to a minute on a good day, though you can only go by your result in the day...
post edited by Travs - 2018/04/28 17:30:52
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1405
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/30 13:39:27 (permalink)
I've hardly been recently but I'm getting back on it today. A few years ago I did a full body routine called Ten Tiger. The basic routine is:

Workout A
Squats
bench press
deadlift
military press
chinups/pullups

Workout B
Hack squats
dips
stiff legged deadlift
dumbbell shoulder press
bent over rowing

There was another one that was a slightly tweaked version but I can't find it anywhere
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2188
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/02 10:28:32 (permalink)

Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/06 17:16:01 (permalink)
14 mile fell race today on the Shropshire hills. Absolutely fucking boiling, I was overheating by the top of the first climb.

There's two ways to the top of the first climb, I went the steep way and was first up, thinking "bugger me, I'm winning", but a few of the speedsters had taken a longer but gentler route, and I was a little deflated to find that I was actually in about 6th.

From then on I powered up the climbs, picking up places, but lost them again on the descents, finally coming home in 9th place. So a top 10 place in an "AL" fell race (the hardest, longest category of races)..... ok it wasn't one of the big legendary Lake District races, and it did clash with an English Champs race elsewhere in the country, resulting in a smaller field, but it's in the record books now....!

Now got 5 days to get over the fatigue/blisters/dehydration in time for the big 100 mile race which starts on Friday at 5pm.
post edited by Travs - 2018/05/06 17:17:18
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2188
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/06 18:37:14 (permalink)
You mad bastard. Congrats on the top ten place.
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 1019
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/06 18:54:31 (permalink)
Travs
14 mile fell race today on the Shropshire hills. Absolutely fucking boiling, I was overheating by the top of the first climb.

There's two ways to the top of the first climb, I went the steep way and was first up, thinking "bugger me, I'm winning", but a few of the speedsters had taken a longer but gentler route, and I was a little deflated to find that I was actually in about 6th.

From then on I powered up the climbs, picking up places, but lost them again on the descents, finally coming home in 9th place. So a top 10 place in an "AL" fell race (the hardest, longest category of races)..... ok it wasn't one of the big legendary Lake District races, and it did clash with an English Champs race elsewhere in the country, resulting in a smaller field, but it's in the record books now....!

Now got 5 days to get over the fatigue/blisters/dehydration in time for the big 100 mile race which starts on Friday at 5pm.

Good stuff
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2812
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/07 11:30:33 (permalink)
Been on a gym ting since realising how fat I was as Christmas. Started going 3 times a week before work and upped it now to 4. Also started to sort my food, eating the same stuff but just less of it.

Was working well and am now about 9kg lighter than when I started, but have been on a plateau weight wise for about 6 weeks now (probs food related). Goal for the year is 20kg. Definitely getting fitter though. Weight lifting ability has increased slowly but surely and have increased the speed on the cross trainer without issue.

Had a knee arthroscopy back at the end of feb which put me completely out of action for a few weeks and won’t be able to run properly for another month at least (hence the cross trainer).
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/11 06:57:50 (permalink)
Just about to set off for Snowdonia... 5pm today race starts, hopefully finish sometime AM Sunday if I get there far... needless to say I'm bricking it a bit. Very hard to relax and get quality sleep the last few days, but last night wasn't too bad.

What's done in preparation is done now, I've done all I can, just got to go and see what happens.

I shall return.
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/17 15:21:59 (permalink)
Travs
Just about to set off for Snowdonia... 5pm today race starts, hopefully finish sometime AM Sunday if I get there far... needless to say I'm bricking it a bit. Very hard to relax and get quality sleep the last few days, but last night wasn't too bad.

What's done in preparation is done now, I've done all I can, just got to go and see what happens.

I shall return.

How did you get on?
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/18 07:44:11 (permalink)
Rapt
Travs

I shall return.

How did you get on?

In a word...  badly...

It was absolutely chucking down and freezing before the start, and continued for most of the night. I was actually in the lead after the first few hours, up and over Snowdon, and down to the Llanberis Pass (for those that know it, i went up Snowdon via the railway path and down via the PYG track in about 1hr45 which was by no means pushing it, hoping to lose those behind me (including a Latvian guy who i hoped would get lost but didn't as he won the race).

But the crux was the next section over a relatively flat 5 miles to a place called Dolddwellan (this 5 miles took about 2 hours and was about 2 foot of cold acidic water). The next 8 miles to Capel Curig on the A5 were slightly better, but then i was feeling the cumulative effects, and i got to dawn at the nextcheckpoint and was 'retired for my own safety'....

57 people started and only 13 finished which shows the trouble we all had...  i certainly got put in my place and I've slept 9 hours a night since and an still completely knackered...

Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/18 12:12:47 (permalink)
Sounds brutal, that cold would kill me off pretty quickly. How far did you actually run and is there anything you'll do differently next time? Good effort.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/05/21 10:04:17 (permalink)
I ran a total of about 35 miles and 6-7000ft which is not a fantastic amount, but very poor conditions and terrain.

If I did it again I'd take a similar approach, but I don't think I've got the ability to get anywhere near the 100 miles in those conditions.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3207
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/05/24 17:06:29 (permalink)
For all who're into that sort of thing, I'd given up on pre workouts after trying almost everything out there. Nowadays I cycle so after a tub finishes I'll wait at least 6 weeks before trying another, just using caffeine in the interim. THAT SAID, read a lot of the usual blah blah hype about Outbreak's Pathogen, but gotta say after using it a few times it's by far and away the single best pre I've ever (ever - even pre j3cked dmaa days) tried. Flying through workouts setting pb's all over the gaff and never felt mental focus like it during cardio. Like I say, if it's your thing, well well worth a try imo
Page: << < ..311 Showing page 311 of 311
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0