Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 310 of 316
Author
Travs
  • Total Posts : 478
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/11 16:31:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Arcadian 2018/03/15 14:27:39
Rapt, the best way to build it up, is to start always running at an incline. For example when I'm doing a "flat" treadmill run, I'll have it at 4.5 incline. Again build it up slowly. If I'm doing reps now, I'll do my rest period on 4.5 and now it almost feels like running downhill!

Tough race today. My tactics involved absolutely booting it out of the first field and up the first climb, to avoid any bottlenecks, and basically to go out hard for as long as I could manage. I was in the top 20 halfway up the first climb which is ridiculous, and even after about 14 miles I was up with some good runners. The wheels started to fall off a bit after that though. Didn't drop many places, but did drop about 15 or 20 minutes on those real good runners I was hanging onto. The finish couldn't really come quick enough as it was a real slog and cramp was starting to make itself known.

186th in the end, which is comfortably in the top half, and I was 7 mins under my target of 4 hours so I am pretty pleased. But being so close to my Champs "pb" of 179th was a bit gutting.if I could have held it together a bit I'd have smashed that. But it was an absolutely stacked race so overall very happy.

Absolutely fucked now though.
post edited by Travs - 2018/03/11 16:33:43
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4322
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/11 17:45:53 (permalink)
Fair play mate, that's good going, is this the race you were in? http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5493 would be interested in seeing the winners time.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/11 18:36:50 (permalink)
That's the one. The winner went round in 2:37 which is fucking phenomenal. Mind you he's a beast and I've seen him run up Lake District mountains the way I run up the treadmill. I can just about hold my own going uphill, but these front runners can knock out 10km in 31mins and when it hits the proper "runnable" terrain I just get blown away.

The thing with the big champs races is to even have a chance of coming in the top 50, you have to be capable of winning races elsewhere. I'm just not at that level.

I was about 15 mins behind Nicky Spinks who is a bit of a legend and has done some amazing long distance stuff and won many big races in the alps.
post edited by Travs - 2018/03/11 18:38:03
Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/12 16:58:12 (permalink)
Probably be done, but shin splits remedies guys?
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27810
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/12 17:12:00 (permalink)
Law
Probably be done, but shin splits remedies guys?

Rest and ice first, then strengthening exercises, short distance running on soft surfaces. Can use insoles too.

Anything you can do to reduce hard impact of running ist gut. 
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27810
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/12 17:13:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Arcadian 2018/03/15 15:22:33
Also, going a page back. why the fuck would anyone post a naked picture on here.... again?
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9446
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/12 17:46:44 (permalink)
Flu b2b norovirus has completely fucked me and I've lost about 3kg.
So depressing how quickly strength disappears
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/15 09:41:42 (permalink)
Entered the Snowdon International Fell Race in July. Probably the most easy to comprehend race for those unfamiliar with it...  10 miles, starting in Llanberis, following the railway path straight up to the top, turn round and back down again.

Not a massively technical route, just a pure test of fitness and effort, up and down (although admittedly some of the rocky downhill sections will need decent technique and a fair bit of bottle to take at full pelt). As someone who does most of my uphill training on a treadmill, this will hopefully be a race that suits me.

I'll be hoping to beat 1hr30, which will mean I need to reach the summit in probably a maximum of about 57 or 58 minutes, to give me a chance of getting back down again, on shot legs, in hopefully 32 or 33 mins.

The winner will probably come in around 1hr05 mins which is almost beyond belief.
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1285
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/15 09:52:42 (permalink)
Will wave at you from Cloggy, you pervert.

...is this what you want???
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/16 20:17:40 (permalink)
Travs
Entered the Snowdon International Fell Race in July. Probably the most easy to comprehend race for those unfamiliar with it...  10 miles, starting in Llanberis, following the railway path straight up to the top, turn round and back down again.

Not a massively technical route, just a pure test of fitness and effort, up and down (although admittedly some of the rocky downhill sections will need decent technique and a fair bit of bottle to take at full pelt). As someone who does most of my uphill training on a treadmill, this will hopefully be a race that suits me.

I'll be hoping to beat 1hr30, which will mean I need to reach the summit in probably a maximum of about 57 or 58 minutes, to give me a chance of getting back down again, on shot legs, in hopefully 32 or 33 mins.

The winner will probably come in around 1hr05 mins which is almost beyond belief.

That sounds mental.  I ran a very hilly 8.5 miles in 1hr5 last night and not sure I would ever be able to do it much quicker, absolute killer. Do you know what kind of min/miles you were doing in your last race or the winners min/mile times? Would be interested to see the difference from start to finish.
post edited by Rapt - 2018/03/16 20:19:09
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9222
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/16 21:16:51 (permalink)
Syzlack_23

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/5nkswi/the_science_of_detraining_how_long_you_can_take_a/

It ain't that bad.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/16 21:41:38 (permalink)
Rapt
Travs

That sounds mental.  I ran a very hilly 8.5 miles in 1hr5 last night and not sure I would ever be able to do it much quicker, absolute killer. Do you know what kind of min/miles you were doing in your last race or the winners min/mile times? Would be interested to see the difference from start to finish.

Well the winner did 21 miles in 2hrs37 which by my reckoning is about 7.5 minute miles. I was 3hrs53 which makes about 11 minute miles.

Really it depends on the terrain. If you're going up a hands and knees climb you'll be lucky to be doing 2mph sometimes, then you could be going down the other side doing under 6 minute miles if it's a runnable steep slope.

Without boring you to death, I use a little formula to calculate expected race time. Number of miles x10, added to number of feet/100, gives you a total number of minutes, then use a multiplier depending on difficulty of terrain, for example a tough Lake District or Snowdonia race I'll multiply that figure by 1.2-1.5, for a faster race in the Peak District or Shropshire perhaps multiply that figure by 0.8-1.....

For example that race, 21 miles, = 210 mins. 4500ft = 45 mins. Total of 255 mins, which is 4hrs15. Based on it being a fast race I set a target of 4hrs.

The winner of the Snowdon race will be able to run down from the top of Snowdon to the middle of Llanberis in about 22-24mins, which is less than 5mins/mile, on pretty nasty rocky ground.

8.5 miles in just over an hour is pretty decent, especially with some hills thrown in. I did 6 miles and 1000ft climb in 45 mins this evening, although I was going fairly steady as I have a race tomorrow.
Rudeboysy
  • Total Posts : 2870
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/16 21:45:26 (permalink)
3rd degree
The first time I've ever looked at this thread and I'm greeted by that.

Fucking lol. Amazing
Syzlack_24
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/17 12:31:12 (permalink)
Johnny Quest
Syzlack_23

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/5nkswi/the_science_of_detraining_how_long_you_can_take_a/

It ain't that bad.

Interesting. I was lying in bed eating about 1 piece of bread a day and firing brown lasers out of my anus every 20 minutes though, I definitely lost strength
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41610
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/17 14:20:44 (permalink)
Don’t forget your body is expending energy fighting off the virus, and you’re not really eating or moving.

It’s not as if you’re just not training.

Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/17 21:55:56 (permalink)
Midlands Road Relay Championships today at Sutton Coldfield Park (apparently the biggest urban park in Europe?).....

Bloody freezing, windy and snowy. I managed 35 minutes bang on, for about 5 and a half miles, which in terms of the level of competition I was in, was nothing to write home about, but I was reasonably satisfied with.

Chaos in our team (a 12 man relay). The first guy pulled up after a mile with injury, and his vest was then "rescued" and shoved on another runner back at the start, who hared off, leaving us way down the field and with a mountain to climb to make the top 25 qualification places for the national champs. But a pretty stunning comeback saw us power through the field and actually finish 7th, albeit all in vain as we were disqualified afterwards due to the first leg shenanigans.
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/18 16:12:26 (permalink)
With the min/miles I was more after the difference from start to finish i.e did you start of out the blocks running 7min/miles and end up doing 20min/miles etc.

I ran for an hour and a half round Rome in torrential rain first thing this morning, it was quite surreal and weirdly satisfying.

Not sure if I posted this before but this is a great watch, their pace towards the end is unbelievable. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCR03UDggA
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/18 16:35:32 (permalink)
Hard to compare the pace between different sections of the race due to the changes in terrain and climb. First couple of miles were straight up so not at a really fast pace in the scheme of things, but I was "booting it" as my tactics are to make the most of the steep climbs.

But in general yes I did slow down somewhat as the race went on, as the climb and fatigue built up in my legs.

Yes it's remarkable how you can drive yourself on in the later stages of even a long race. In my last big one (45 miles and 8000ft), my last 5 miles were my fastest of the race, as I was picking up lots of places. Although tbh it was equally painful whether I sprinted or walked, so I just went all out to get it over with.

It's also easier to vary your pace and effort on a hilly race, and make the most of your own strengths. A week on Saturday I've got a 42 mile fell race, and 8 days later I've got a 40 mile 'flat' race round the outside of Coventry. I've got no worries about the Fell Race (well no more than the usual), but I'm petrified of the flat one, having not done that distance on the flat before, I'll be well out of my comfort zone.

I'd say in general that Fell racing is harder to complete, and the base level of fitness, experience, etc, that you need, is a lot higher than road running. But to compete at the front end of a race is equally difficult whether you race on the hills, track, or road.
post edited by Travs - 2018/03/18 16:36:42
Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11986
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/26 05:31:28 (permalink)
Anyone on here ever had knee problems and managed to sort them out without surgery? Had a knee problem building for about a year, had a scan and it's patellar tendonitis, with a small tear in the patellar tendon, and patellar-femoral syndrome (poor tracking of my knee cap). I've been to physio but he was shite, and I've got some exercises...but my god it is a painfully slow process. Feel like I might make small progress for 2 weeks, then slip slightly in the rain and I'm back where I started.
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/26 19:32:59 (permalink)
Went on a 16 mile run Sunday morning, my legs are absolutely shot today. Was a bit of an eye opener as to the state of my fitness levels.

Shiverman - I've heard remarkable things about stem cell therapy and knee injuries but not sure about tendonitis.
post edited by Rapt - 2018/03/26 19:46:38
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12799
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/26 19:58:55 (permalink)
Shiverman
Anyone on here ever had knee problems and managed to sort them out without surgery? Had a knee problem building for about a year, had a scan and it's patellar tendonitis, with a small tear in the patellar tendon, and patellar-femoral syndrome (poor tracking of my knee cap). I've been to physio but he was shite, and I've got some exercises...but my god it is a painfully slow process. Feel like I might make small progress for 2 weeks, then slip slightly in the rain and I'm back where I started.

I've had both, I'd say the most effective thing for PT is unilateral eccentric squats on an incline. The tracking needs to be sorted with activation of the correct quads (horse stance etc) but I dare say you are doing that sort of thing already. And yeah, it's long. 

But the unilateral eccentric incline squats, I found them effective almost immediately and still do if my knees ever flare up. It's like magic

Handsome B Wonderful
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/26 22:30:19 (permalink)
Cheers mate. I had seen those on the tinterwebs but there's so many different exercises I didn't know which ones are any good. I'll give those a try

Rapt

Shiverman - I've heard remarkable things about stem cell therapy and knee injuries but not sure about tendonitis.

...Is that something that's actually attainable nowadays? 
post edited by Shiverman - 2018/03/26 22:31:24
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1296
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/27 08:48:33 (permalink)
Think you need to be pretty baller status to afford it. Not even sure of the legality/possibility in the UK.

I almost guarantee Rapt heard it on the Joe Rogan podcast, he's always going on about it and think he goes to Puerto Rico/Mexico or something to get it done where it still costs a ton AFAIK.
Handsome B Wonderful
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/27 08:51:35 (permalink)
So it's not on the NHS? Bloody brexit. That is pretty awesome that it exists tho, might be available when I'm an old fucker.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/31 05:30:41 (permalink)
Supposedly a 42 mile fell race today in the Lake District, but due to the conditions (hard packed snow and ice in Helvellyn, and possibly worse weather today, along with -13 wind chill), it's been shortened to 25 miles. Still a big ask though, and could be anywhere from 5-7 hours up there.

Possibly a blessing though, as been unable to train all week, and have another 40 mile race next weekend. The plan had been to put two successive long races together, in preparation for my 100 mile race in May.
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2252
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/31 08:19:14 (permalink)
I look into this thread when you post out of morbid curiosity trav.

-13 wind chill for 5-7 hours lol. What on earth possesses you?
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1667
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/31 08:31:04 (permalink)
I almost guarantee Rapt heard it on the Joe Rogan podcast, he's always going on about it and think he goes to Puerto Rico/Mexico or something to get it done where it still costs a ton AFAIK.

haha yeah, Panama. If you see any sports star out there you can guarantee that's why.
TJ Dillashaw was helping out orphans there the other day, whilst out injured...
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/31 15:15:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Arcadian 2018/03/31 15:24:53
Today was a bit of a beast. Probably the worst conditions I've encountered. Blizzards, ice, hail, zero visibility. At one point I could feel myself getting overly tired and sluggish, and slowing down, which is an early sign of hypothermia making its presence known. So an agonising ritual of taking of my soaked base layer, then putting all my other tops back on, along with a fresh insulated top, then trying to shove my frozen hands back into my gloves. It worked though, and panic was over.

As for the race, first 15 miles I was flying, and loving the conditions as they were levelling the playing field a bit and slowing down the speedsters, and I reached the valley checkpoint in about 20th (deservedly so). A really quick turnaround in the checkpoint, taking on food and water, and I probably jumped another 3-5 places in one go.

Sadly over the next couple of miles I developed a worrying pain in the side of my leg going up the final big climb, and by the time we reached some runnable ground (10 mostly downhill miles to go), I was reduced to a walk/jog/limp when I should have been absolutely flying. Ended up costing me at least an hour and I finished around 60th.

I was incredibly fucked off, but if you get injured you can't really blame yourself, and I still finished in the top half of a good standard race. Just a shame that I was on for what would have been my best performance.

Hopefully nothing serious with my leg as I've got a 40 mile flat race next weekend.
Syzlack_24
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/01 14:57:57 (permalink)
Write up from the 2018 Barkley Marathon:
http://garyrobbinsrun.com...2018-barkley-marathons

Travs have you ever considered it? Sounds like your kind of race.

'I got chased off the trail a short time later by four wild hogs'
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/04/01 15:31:36 (permalink)
I'm aware of the Barkley Marathon but to be honest it doesn't really appeal to me. I'm more attracted to long distance races that take you on a journey, rather than 5 "laps". Not to say it would be easy.... one of the top mountain ultra runners from the UK (Ireland actually) had to retire after two laps of this year's Barkley with a broken collarbone.

Two huge events I'm considering for next year (I will definitely be entering one of them), are the Dragon's Back and the Spine Race. The Dragon's Back is basically a 5 day Fell Race from Conway Castle in north Wales, to somewhere not far from Swansea, about 200 miles and covering just about every mountain in Wales. The Spine Race is the length of the Pennine Way, 268 miles, and it's a non-stop race, I.e not in stages, so if you decide to stop/rest/sleep then the clock is still ticking. There's a winter version but I'm looking at the summer version.

As far as going abroad, there's some great races in the Canaries and Alps/Pyrenees. I'm tempted by a race in Tenerife which is about 60 miles and climbs over the top of that huge volcano (Mt Teide?), just a slight worry about the two or three hours I'd have to spend running in the "altitude sickness zone" in the heat of midday. Fuck the Marathon Des Sables though, 3 grand to enter and it's overhyped and in my opinion not even close to the difficulty of the two UK events above.
Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 310 of 316
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0