Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 308 of 316
Author
Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3701
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 15:32:14 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Going to try and do this Couch to 5K shit. Any recommendations for cheap running trainers? Ideally under £50.

Whenever Ive got my trainers, theres always been a treadmill there to test them out. Ive always liked the feel of New Balance

Subsurface
Smokey McPot
I've joined an actual gym. Its like a warehouse with equipment. I miss David Lloyd.

Sounds great. I want somewhere with more barbells than people.

Why are most gyms packed to the rafters with treadmills but have a tiny free weights area? I shouldn't have to queue for a rack or even a bench when 50% of the cardio machines are free ffs.

Thats my gym. Its a big building with 3 rooms filled to the brim with juiceheads and metallic things that clang. Which means that the handful of treadmills hidden in the attic are always free. Perfect for me
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1560
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 15:35:39 (permalink)
Travs
Colin2013
Travs
24 mile fell race this morning/afternoon, over the worst that the Peak District has to offer.... from Marsden near Huddersfield, down to Edale at the start of the Pennine Way in Derbyshire. Wind chill expected to be around -8 on the tops, although it's still too dark to see what conditions are really like.

This one's very tough, but hoping for a pb of somewhere under 5 hours, if I don't get fucking lost.

Turned sports nutrition on its head this morning, by having pasta and chicken as my pre race meal, instead of stuffing as many pork pies as I could manage down down gullet. Although tbf I did have fish, chips and curry sauce last night, followed by half a Terry's chocolate orange.

Do you need to take GPS for these long runs, or is the course clearly laid out and you always run in a group?

You're a mad cunt aren't you?
No, no, and no...!

GPS not allowed in "pure" Fell races. Map and compass is compulsory, and a major thing that sets it apart from normal running. Although in some of the big long distance mountain races you can take gps, and in some it's even compulsory.

The course is not laid out, it's free choice, which is another unique thing. The navigation is not deliberately hard, for example today the three main checkpoints were all mountain tops, but there's a whole raft of route choice, and picking the right route is a big thing.

Whether or not you're in a group depends on the size and distance of the race. Coming off the first climb today I went wrong and a whole group of about 20 people were following me, so they all went wrong! Twats. But when I got onto Bleaklow Moor and Kinder Scout I was pretty much alone.

Today was hard work. Managed 4hrs55 which is a pb by at least 20mins, but I made a couple of hefty errors today. Went a bit wrong coming off the first peak and ended up hacking through some nasty stuff, probably lost 5-10mins, and then made alright hash of getting up onto Kinder Scout and probably lost 15mins fucking about in more horrible terrain. This pretty much wore me down and when I got onto Kinder edge and into the freezing cold headwind, I felt pretty sorry for myself, but ploughed in chasing after sub 5 hours. I'd developed pretty nasty cramp in my calf by this point so on any steep ground I had to make sure I landed on my right foot, as my left could no longer cushion the impact.

Ragged myself going through the Edale valley trying to catch the guy in front. Got to a gate and couldn't get the bloody thing open, I was too exhausted to work the mechanism, ended up climbing over it.

All smiles now though.... just smashed a pasty, a pack of Swedish meatballs, and a jumbo packet of kettle chips.

SW14
  • Total Posts : 12788
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/02/23 16:49:53 (permalink)
Preferred beats for the gym? Like techy mechanical rollers for it which ain’t normally my couple of tea.

Any Mixcloud recommendations?
badder2
  • Total Posts : 2265
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/02/23 16:55:43 (permalink)
Big stomping techno each and every 

I think me and snakey had this chat a few pages back 
SW14
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/02/23 16:59:09 (permalink)
Certain drops are like a direct wire to your brain to do reps. On, on and on, on and on and on and on and on.

DnB every time for me but stuck listening to Calyx and Teebee sets. Want to broaden my horizons a bit.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3290
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/02/23 17:06:03 (permalink)
Jamie's Desire link has been doing it for me today. Dutty 96 rolling basslines is the one.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3290
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/02/23 17:07:51 (permalink)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VRoLI41G3DQ

Or something like this to really get the juices flowing. Set a bench PB to this earlier this week.
Nakoma
  • Total Posts : 2976
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/23 17:10:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lrrr 2018/02/23 18:05:19
I like listening to stuff with tonnes of MC's weirdly. 

Taken my nutrition to next level detail and accuracy entering literally every gram in MyFitnessPal. I have started planning my meals the day before so I can hit my macros absolutely bang by preplanning. Currently sticking with 30/30/40 macro split. Seems to be the only way I can make progress now I'm down to a reasonably low body fat % to lose any more body fat. Fitness levels are probably the best they have ever been. Movement around the squash court is ridiculously quick from what it was. Incorporating agility improvement using that ladder thing. Don't lift very heavy as any extra muscle mass than necessary on the court is utter waste. Doing HIIT 2/3 times a week, Weights 3 times a week, Core 2/3 times a week and Yoga. 

I use protein powder occasionally. My diet is very good good quality lean meat, vegetables complex carbs. Simple carbs at the right times. Will any other supplements make any difference whatsoever or is it marketing/sales bollocks? 
post edited by Nakoma - 2018/02/23 17:11:44
SW14
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/23 17:18:34 (permalink)
Gym rage building.

After politely sticking to the assisted bench press due to the Bulgarian shotput team pitching tents on all the bench presses some Congolese war lord comes up to me demanding to know why I’ve answered a quick 5 second phone call in between sets.

Mind your own business.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/23 21:28:46 (permalink)
Pleasantly surprised that they were smashing some dnb in the gym tonight. Usually have hardcore or dnb through my headphones but I could hear the unmistakable bass line from Chopper so I had a bit of a listen.

Struggled the last few weeks as I managed to pull my calf during the Midlands Cross-Country Champs and had to retire after half a mile. Managed to recover and set a good pb in a tough Fell Race in Shropshire a couple of weeks later, but my calf went again last weekend.

Have taken it very easy this week in an attempt to be fit for tomorrow, which is the National Cross Country Champs at Parliament Hill. Will be a massive event, probably 3000 in the main race, so I'll be pretty fucked off if my calf goes again.

Then it's the big build up to my 100 mile race. Over Easter week I've got two 40 mile races in eight days, which will hopefully give me a reasonable indicator if I've got the endurance and mental strength to manage 100 miles in one sitting.
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9246
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/23 22:15:39 (permalink)
Nakoma

Taken my nutrition to next level detail and accuracy entering literally every gram in MyFitnessPal. I have started planning my meals the day before so I can hit my macros absolutely bang by preplanning. Currently sticking with 30/30/40 macro split. Seems to be the only way I can make progress now I'm down to a reasonably low body fat % to lose any more body fat. Fitness levels are probably the best they have ever been. Movement around the squash court is ridiculously quick from what it was. Incorporating agility improvement using that ladder thing. Don't lift very heavy as any extra muscle mass than necessary on the court is utter waste. Doing HIIT 2/3 times a week, Weights 3 times a week, Core 2/3 times a week and Yoga. 

I use protein powder occasionally. My diet is very good good quality lean meat, vegetables complex carbs. Simple carbs at the right times. Will any other supplements make any difference whatsoever or is it marketing/sales bollocks? 

Sounds solid.

As for supps, creatine, caffeine, cod liver oil and Vitamin D.

Most of the other stuff is bollocks which you'd get from a varied diet.
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12863
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/23 22:26:05 (permalink)
Travs
my calf

So you are a mortal after all!

Or was that the calf your Mum dangled you in the river Styx by?

Nakoma
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/24 08:10:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Stamina MC 2018/03/13 00:39:36
I get my meat from http://www.paleowales.co.uk they do in my opinion the best quality for the money chicken breast @ £24.99 for 5Kg and £47.99 for 10Kg. Also doing low fat healthy option turkey sausages for £2.95 on special atm. Granted some of the other stuff on there is expensive. However if you care about your body you'll spend a little bit extra to get good quality produce.

I find it funny seeing people go on about how they are perfect at "healthy" and "clean" living. Yet literally in front of you 10 minutes later taking drugs with god knows what chemicals in it and drinking. They don't even blink spending £90/gram on "the purest" coke ever yet complain about the cost of expensive good quality food which they eat all the time. When in reality is only marginally more expensive than the supermarkets which the quality is absolutely fucking shocking.

The supermarket stuff it's common knowledge now that they are absolutely pumped full of shit antibiotics, growth hormones and water. I weighed some chicken out cooked it and it lost nearly 45% of it's weight from injected water. It was in a puddle afterwards. 
post edited by Nakoma - 2018/02/24 08:14:45
Travs
  • Total Posts : 479
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/24 21:39:39 (permalink)
Great day at the National XC at Parliament Hill. Bloody freezing though.

Race didn't go to plan. First 15 mins I was flying but the inevitable happened and my calf started playing up, and was reduced to a jog for pretty much the rest of the race, costing me literally hundreds of places and I trundled in around 1500th of about 2700.

At least I finished though, which was looking an impossibility after 15mins, and at least I can get my calf sorted now without race pressure (although I was hoping to race again next week, that may have to go out the window).

Thought the area around Kentish Town and up to Parliament Hill is one of the few places in London that I wouldn't mind living. Certainly compared to last weekend when I walked from London Bridge Station down to White Cube Bermondsey, that is an area rammed full of utter twats.
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4350
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/25 15:26:54 (permalink)
Nakoma

Vitamin D3, you must take vitamin k2 with it.
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6249
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 01:35:17 (permalink)
Above posts just made my brain click. Will cod liver oil help my shoulder pains. They hurt in my sleep, especially after chest and shoulder exercises.
post edited by MellowHype - 2018/02/26 01:36:49
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 06:23:55 (permalink)
Rest up mate and let it heal. My ankle and knee joints have been throbbing when sleeping as I've over done the running as of late, I've been taking highh quality omega-3's daily but the pains still there. They're feeling better after a week of doing low impact exercises but I don't think omega-3's are in instant fix for joint pain.
MellowHype
  • Total Posts : 6249
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 13:04:31 (permalink)
They always hurt in my sleep but are exacerbated by weight lifting. I've been doing some rotator cuff work and also I find just hanging from a bar helps. Hoping a supplement might ease the pain so I'm not tossing and turning all night
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 13:13:51 (permalink)
Supplements- creatine is the only non food I bother with- I seem to respond to it well and it is cheap as well as having a bulletproof safety profile. Also indicated in being neuroprotective in some forms of dementia I understand- handy at my age. 

I don't bother with shakes etc but drink a lot of kefir and will add a scoop of whey to a glass before bed- that's a good 50 grams of protein in one hit and none of it artificial or too industrial. Sits well in your stomach for sleep too

Johnny Quest
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 15:33:09 (permalink)
Rapt
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/02/26 17:53:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Johnny Quest 2018/02/26 19:39:56
Anyone using supplements, I would highly recommend using this site...

https://labdoor.com/
Nakoma
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 12:48:05 (permalink)
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/protein-powders-ingredients-harmful-toxins-pesticides-metals-puori-biochem-bodyfortress-a8243761.html 

What does everyone make of it? Tempted to just go to pure natural protein sources. Blend up a nice bit of salmon in my morning shake instead 

Although in all seriousness it's going to be a bit more faff however think I'll go to natural protein. Guess I'll be buying bulk egg whites from now. 

I had a food meltdown after 4 weeks of perfect eating. 7K - 10K calories a day for 4 days.  Back on it now though.. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 13:01:33 (permalink)
7-10? Fucking hell!

S8
  • Total Posts : 19567
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/03/07 13:31:10 (permalink)
Syzlack_23

Going to try and do this Couch to 5K shit. Any recommendations for cheap running trainers? Ideally under £50.

Started this a few months ago, it's pretty good. Turns out that an old injury hadn't ever healed properly and my left ankle is shagged and I need an MRI scan to see whats up 
Johnny Quest
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 17:28:50 (permalink)
Nakoma
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/protein-powders-ingredients-harmful-toxins-pesticides-metals-puori-biochem-bodyfortress-a8243761.html 

What does everyone make of it? Tempted to just go to pure natural protein sources. Blend up a nice bit of salmon in my morning shake instead 

Although in all seriousness it's going to be a bit more faff however think I'll go to natural protein. Guess I'll be buying bulk egg whites from now. 

I had a food meltdown after 4 weeks of perfect eating. 7K - 10K calories a day for 4 days.  Back on it now though.. 

That link's dead, but from looking at other stories it seems worrying.

Rudiger01
  • Total Posts : 3701
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 20:45:47 (permalink)
Stopped the gym a few weeks ago due to my knee feeling like it was going to pop. Feels loads better now but just cant get the motivation to get back into it. Mondays Im too tired from the weekend and eat shite, Tuesday the same, Wed I work late and Thurs its back on the Pureo train. 
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 20:55:55 (permalink)
Johnny Quest
Nakoma

That link's dead, but from looking at other stories it seems worrying.

Google cache of it here: https://www.google.co.uk/...0qm1yJ40mCuDYVJVVzu0Al

Would like to see the full list, not just the top/bottom five.

Based on that labdoor.com website the MyProtein impact whey and isolate I use is ok so not that worried. They're checking for heavy metals on that. Not really surprised the crap/cheap label stuff is full of garbage, think I read there is no restrictions on calling something a "supplement", you can mix any old shit up in a bath tub and sell it to customers.
Majik
  • Total Posts : 41694
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 21:12:49 (permalink)
I use Quest powders and they ain’t particularly cheap, surprised they’re on that list.

Johnny Quest
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 22:13:38 (permalink)
Quest powders seem quite dear comparatively and with not much discernible difference in protein content, bar a mix of casein and whey.

Props to MyProtein for delivering on quality and affordability.

THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2018/03/07 22:20:49 (permalink)
Quite ironic that health supplements might actually be bad for you

Based off the packaging alone I could have told you this is shit - "ultra premium" my arse

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 308 of 316
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0