Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 307 of 311
Author
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7824
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 13:03:46 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
BrianBadonde
Anyone use a pull up bar at home? Not the doorframe ones. More the ones bolted to a wall.

Thinking about getting one of these for an outside wall. Then I can take down the pull up section and just leave the baseplate installed, put a plant or something over it to cover.

Perfect for after a quick road run IMO.... They also do an outdoor one that can strap to tree trunks / poles!

https://www.pullup-dip.co...unted-pull-up-bar.html

What about your shoulder?

Since the injection, it's been OK... I've been breaking it back in with small rep press ups over the day for a while now. I need to do more than just running, it's doing my head in! It will be more for pull ups than dips though... dips tend to really fuck things up for me

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12542
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 13:07:09 (permalink)
Don't do dips, it's really difficult to keep your shoulder in the correct position and they shred you.

Did your physio/consultant give you any advice on "prehabilitation" of your shoudler, how to protect it in future etc? 

Or is he just waiting for the next cheque! 

Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1244
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 13:30:04 (permalink)
BrianBadonde

Views were pretty nang though!

Sweet man. Where was this?? Part of me wants to say Galloway but the coastline looks a bit undulating for that....

...is this what you want???
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 13:39:27 (permalink)
Fiend.
  Sweet man. Where was this?? Part of me wants to say Galloway but the coastline looks a bit undulating for that....

That pic was near point 6 below... mapped it the other day. Rockcliffe in Dalbeattie.... 

post edited by Bruce Bogtrotter - 2018/01/05 13:55:18

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:00:11 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Don't do dips, it's really difficult to keep your shoulder in the correct position and they shred you.

Did your physio/consultant give you any advice on "prehabilitation" of your shoudler, how to protect it in future etc? 

Nope he gave no real advice... just the usual "use the correct form but carry on carefully once things have eased" Which is no real help, but things feel a lot better. Kind of want to stick to running, different grip pull ups, press ups for a bit... see how things react. Back to see him in a month for a follow up though.

Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27624
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:08:02 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Jungle Dave

Nope he gave no real advice... just the usual "use the correct form but carry on carefully once things have eased" Which is no real help, but things feel a lot better. Kind of want to stick to running, different grip pull ups, press ups for a bit... see how things react. Back to see him in a month for a follow up though.

Weighted pull downs might be worth looking at if loading with body weight is an issue. Same form, similar movement, less stress.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1366
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:08:24 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Original Nuttah
First day back in the gym after a few weeks off. I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow.

This was me on Wednesday. Felt so pathetic at the time but so good afterwards. My brain properly starts to suffer if I haven't been for a few weeks.

Going to try and do this Couch to 5K shit. Any recommendations for cheap running trainers? Ideally under £50.

Two days in a row has left me so sore I'm having a rest day today!
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16639
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:16:57 (permalink)
I posted 5 weeks ago about my shoulder giving me pain and discomfort. Started doing more stretching, TRX, and 5x5 but starting light

Today at the gym I was doing overhead presses, only 45kg but for the first time in ages. It didn’t hurt.

Saved a fair bob from the physio then
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:22:18 (permalink)
dimdum
I posted 5 weeks ago about my shoulder giving me pain and discomfort. Started doing more stretching, TRX, and 5x5 but starting light

Today at the gym I was doing overhead presses, only 45kg but for the first time in ages. It didn’t hurt.

Saved a fair bob from the physio then

I had to deload to 40kg once I got to 47.5 kg, my form went to shit. I'm still getting a lot of clunking from my left shoulder on the last couple of sets. Back to the press Sunday, see if there is any improvement! 

It really is a cunt of a lift. 

Might flip it to dumbells for a week or three to see if I can get some gains without pains then go back to the barbell with a deload to where I had to flip

Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9361
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:42:26 (permalink)
Shoulder press is the hardest lift to progress for me. one of my shoulders is fucked from 15 years of using a mouse. 
I've been told by a few people to breathe at the top rather than the bottom, so you're tight at the bottom, which kind of makes sense but always feels wrong to me
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16639
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 14:51:20 (permalink)
Yeah always stick to form. If you start shaking or wobbling vigorously then may as well stick to the weight before for a while. Otherwise that’s how I expect injuries occur

Breathe at the top? I can’t even imagine what I’m currently doing at the moment as I don’t think about it but will try next time
post edited by dimdum - 2018/01/05 14:55:55
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:19:45 (permalink)
Pffft. I've cranked out five without a breath before, desperate to get the fuckers out! 

Handsome B Wonderful
  • Total Posts : 11834
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:28:16 (permalink)
Didn't you lose your hearing that way mate?

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:42:19 (permalink)
Shiverman
Didn't you lose your hearing that way mate?

Hah! I certainly had problems start around the same time as valsalva and straining, about ten years ago- it was what took me out of the gym back then. 

I'm assured by all the medicos I've seen that my sudden hearing loss wasn't due to a perilymph pistula (where the inner ear is exposed to damage by a ruptured "window")- if it was, I'd guess it would be unlikely that my good ear will be weak in the same way. I don't consider sudden hearing loss to be a high risk factor for weightlifting, or you'd have gyms full of bros with ear-trumpets, especially when you think about the amount of people straining and lifting with shit form... yeah man, breathing is a good idea, I'm still finessing that shit! 

I won't deny it though, I do get the fear sometimes but... you know, I can't wrap myself in cotton wool forever. Especially if it means turning into a man boobed slug. 

Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:46:43 (permalink)
Jungle Dave

Hah! I certainly had problems start around the same time as valsalva and straining

I've had some fairly horrendous migraines and dizziness from this. Ended up having an MRI scan last year cos my GP was convinced I'd had a minor brain bleed

I LOVE BEING HEALTHY @ THE GYM
Fiend.
  • Total Posts : 1244
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:46:52 (permalink)
BrianBadonde

That pic was near point 6 below... mapped it the other day. Rockcliffe in Dalbeattie.... 

LOL, cool, if I'd stuck with Galloway I'd have guessed that area, I thought I recognised the rocks in your 4th picture - I've done some bouldering down at Port O Warren... I'm gonna claim a victory. Nice area Galloway, Scotland-lite but very mellow.

...is this what you want???
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 15:54:03 (permalink)
Fiend.
BrianBadonde

LOL, cool, if I'd stuck with Galloway I'd have guessed that area, I thought I recognised the rocks in your 4th picture - I've done some bouldering down at Port O Warren... I'm gonna claim a victory. Nice area Galloway, Scotland-lite but very mellow.

Yeah the inlaws have a lodge there so we took it over for a week. 3 hours drive from them in Cheshire so a pretty easy drive. Lovely part of the country, need to check more of Scotland out.

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 16:01:26 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Jungle Dave

Hah! I certainly had problems start around the same time as valsalva and straining

I've had some fairly horrendous migraines and dizziness from this. Ended up having an MRI scan last year cos my GP was convinced I'd had a minor brain bleed

I'm reassured by certain weightlifting Doctors that the structures that get put under pressure from valsalva strengthen through the stress/adaptation response. 

I'm not 100% convinced but still... 

Your GP sounds like my kinda guy, slightly hypochondriac! What was the beef in the end, I take it they never worked it out? 

Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 16:15:38 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Syzlack_23
Jungle Dave

I'm reassured by certain weightlifting Doctors that the structures that get put under pressure from valsalva strengthen through the stress/adaptation response. 

I'm not 100% convinced but still... 

Your GP sounds like my kinda guy, slightly hypochondriac! What was the beef in the end, I take it they never worked it out? 

I had intense migraines for 2 weeks which were worse when I was lying down, which apparently is a warning sign for brain bleeds etc as the blood is pooling in your head. The scan didn't show anything so they started talking about doing a spinal tap and I was like 'lol no' and it cleared up on its own.

OK I'm off to the gym where I will probably go deaf and then die. bye
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3175
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 18:36:36 (permalink)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1527216845/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Few lads down the gym swear by this for the knowledge and flexibility of putting together a suitable programme. Just ordered a copy
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3175
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/12 18:43:06 (permalink)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Muscle-Building-Program-Design/dp/1527216845

Thoroughly recommended for anyone taking the weights seriously. Strips it back to basics & easily digestible. Definitely given me a lot of fuel for thought.
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9187
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/12 19:39:29 (permalink)
Knowledge? Nah, fuck that.
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 27624
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/13 22:58:29 (permalink)
I've joined an actual gym. Its like a warehouse with equipment. I miss David Lloyd.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 435
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 06:24:13 (permalink)
24 mile fell race this morning/afternoon, over the worst that the Peak District has to offer.... from Marsden near Huddersfield, down to Edale at the start of the Pennine Way in Derbyshire. Wind chill expected to be around -8 on the tops, although it's still too dark to see what conditions are really like.

This one's very tough, but hoping for a pb of somewhere under 5 hours, if I don't get fucking lost.

Turned sports nutrition on its head this morning, by having pasta and chicken as my pre race meal, instead of stuffing as many pork pies as I could manage down down gullet. Although tbf I did have fish, chips and curry sauce last night, followed by half a Terry's chocolate orange.
Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 13:56:47 (permalink)
Getting into running has made me realise what a total freak of nature Travs is.

What is wrong with you lol
Colin2013
  • Total Posts : 974
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 14:04:57 (permalink)
Travs
24 mile fell race this morning/afternoon, over the worst that the Peak District has to offer.... from Marsden near Huddersfield, down to Edale at the start of the Pennine Way in Derbyshire. Wind chill expected to be around -8 on the tops, although it's still too dark to see what conditions are really like.

This one's very tough, but hoping for a pb of somewhere under 5 hours, if I don't get fucking lost.

Turned sports nutrition on its head this morning, by having pasta and chicken as my pre race meal, instead of stuffing as many pork pies as I could manage down down gullet. Although tbf I did have fish, chips and curry sauce last night, followed by half a Terry's chocolate orange.

Do you need to take GPS for these long runs, or is the course clearly laid out and you always run in a group?
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4265
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 14:06:23 (permalink)
Travs, at the standard you're competing in I reckon Beyond Training might be worth a listen. I'm currently making my way through it and it's unbelievably detailed. There's loads in there for high end endurance athletes. I'd highly recommend his podcast also.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Health-Personal-Development/Beyond-Training-Audiobook/B015OLGPLC

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/
Subsurface
  • Total Posts : 15822
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 14:06:33 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
I've joined an actual gym. Its like a warehouse with equipment. I miss David Lloyd.

Sounds great. I want somewhere with more barbells than people.

Why are most gyms packed to the rafters with treadmills but have a tiny free weights area? I shouldn't have to queue for a rack or even a bench when 50% of the cardio machines are free ffs.
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9187
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 14:15:30 (permalink)
Because people have been sold on the idea that cardio is the most effective form of weight loss and they're probably catering for the biggest demographic.

My current gym is great, fuck loads of weights and bars, 2 mins from my house.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 435
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/14 14:58:11 (permalink)
Colin2013
Travs

Do you need to take GPS for these long runs, or is the course clearly laid out and you always run in a group?

No, no, and no...!

GPS not allowed in "pure" Fell races. Map and compass is compulsory, and a major thing that sets it apart from normal running. Although in some of the big long distance mountain races you can take gps, and in some it's even compulsory.

The course is not laid out, it's free choice, which is another unique thing. The navigation is not deliberately hard, for example today the three main checkpoints were all mountain tops, but there's a whole raft of route choice, and picking the right route is a big thing.

Whether or not you're in a group depends on the size and distance of the race. Coming off the first climb today I went wrong and a whole group of about 20 people were following me, so they all went wrong! Twats. But when I got onto Bleaklow Moor and Kinder Scout I was pretty much alone.

Today was hard work. Managed 4hrs55 which is a pb by at least 20mins, but I made a couple of hefty errors today. Went a bit wrong coming off the first peak and ended up hacking through some nasty stuff, probably lost 5-10mins, and then made alright hash of getting up onto Kinder Scout and probably lost 15mins fucking about in more horrible terrain. This pretty much wore me down and when I got onto Kinder edge and into the freezing cold headwind, I felt pretty sorry for myself, but ploughed in chasing after sub 5 hours. I'd developed pretty nasty cramp in my calf by this point so on any steep ground I had to make sure I landed on my right foot, as my left could no longer cushion the impact.

Ragged myself going through the Edale valley trying to catch the guy in front. Got to a gate and couldn't get the bloody thing open, I was too exhausted to work the mechanism, ended up climbing over it.

All smiles now though.... just smashed a pasty, a pack of Swedish meatballs, and a jumbo packet of kettle chips.
Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 307 of 311
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0