Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 306 of 316
Author
Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7903
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 15:03:38 (permalink)
Got my statement through... £2.3k for an xray, MRI and one injection. I'm in the wrong game

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 12791
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 16:02:35 (permalink)
That's fucking mad. 

Have you had any relief from the steroid shot whatsoever? 

SW14
  • Total Posts : 12377
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 16:19:47 (permalink)
You guys ever had it where you've had a couple of weeks off and go back and find you felt stronger than before?

Usually find I lose about 10-15% strength than if I was going weekly but went heavier than usual on a bench yesterday.

Probably Christmas timber.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 16:56:09 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
That's fucking mad. 

Have you had any relief from the steroid shot whatsoever? 

Yeah thank fuck. Still the odd twinge but nothing like it was. Now is the waiting game to see if it stays this way. I wasn't prepared for that steroid flare up though!  

Fuck knows how much he will charge for actual surgery!

Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 9220
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 17:07:25 (permalink)
SW14
You guys ever had it where you've had a couple of weeks off and go back and find you felt stronger than before?

Usually find I lose about 10-15% strength than if I was going weekly but went heavier than usual on a bench yesterday.

Probably Christmas timber.

Strength can be maintained without training up to 3-4 weeks and maybe you were in the super compensation state also.
post edited by Johnny Quest - 2017/12/14 17:26:25
SW14
  • Total Posts : 12377
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 18:12:20 (permalink)
I can feel muscle tone start to waste after a fortnight. Usually the alarm call to get back in there.

So you maintain strength but lose tone? I thought they went hand in hand?
Johnny Quest
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 20:07:49 (permalink)
Muscles will atrophy quicker than strength loss, 2-3 weeks.

Glycogen stores are also lower, and those contribute to the volume of the muscle.

Tone is simply the ratio of fat/muscle. That will also shift during non training/christmas.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1500
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 21:41:37 (permalink)
It's probably due to that "workout" you had with all those brasses!
Johnny Quest
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/12/14 22:14:13 (permalink)
Having a slice of DAS BENNETT'S cake didn't help.
Johnny Quest
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 18:36:33 (permalink)
First day of IF and it's PBs all round.

Also going to go on a 2 day fast soon for those autophagy gains.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1500
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 19:23:55 (permalink)
First day back in the gym after a few weeks off. I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16794
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 19:45:34 (permalink)
Johnny Quest
First day of IF and it's PBs all round.

Also going to go on a 2 day fast soon for those autophagy gains.

Two days?? Complete fasting that’s mad. I can just about do 24-25 hours

Do you just drink loads of black coffee?
Johnny Quest
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 21:19:05 (permalink)
Never done a 2 day fast before, but I've done IF earlier in the year. It does get easier the longer you go on, you just have to ignore the hung pangs which pop up around your usual eating schedule.

Started watching a bunch of vids on it. Couldn't not retry it after learning even more about the benefits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9WGQn44XQo 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCRjwDs1Ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=441jBOb29YE 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

post edited by Johnny Quest - 2018/01/03 21:20:17
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 3266
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 21:27:16 (permalink)
What an absolute load of shite ffs lol
Johnny Quest
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 21:30:31 (permalink)
Sorry McGain. What on earth was I thinking?

Pass me the needle. Safe.
James OD
  • Total Posts : 12201
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/03 22:03:37 (permalink)
Going to be a January gym wanker any day soon. Just need to find the less busy one. It's going to hurt 😭

Travs
  • Total Posts : 478
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/04 08:06:00 (permalink)
re IF.... I do something similar. Have a minuscule breakfast around 7am, a spoonful of Greek yoghurt or similar. Possibly an apple or banana at around 10am. Lunch at 1am, dinner around 4:30 and a late meal around 8:30

So not really IF at all then, but 95% of my intake within about 8 hours. Final meal of the day is usually my largest which is a bit unconventional, but obviously for my long-distance stuff I put some real hard work during the evenings and need to replace the calories somewhere!

Never really sat and thought "I need to do IF", it was more a carry-over from Muay Thai, when I started skipping breakfast to manage my weight better.

Training more towards my long distance exploits over xmas. Did some massive uphill,sessions in the gym over xmas on the treadmill and stairclimber (7500ft and 9000ft), a 17 mile run on xmas day and 19 miles on New Years Day. Back at the track tonight with the club. Got a 10km Warwickshire cross country champs on Saturday, then the weekend after a 24 mile winter fell race across fucking Bleaklow Moor and Kinder Scout, which is guaranteed to be nasty.

Weight going well, walking around at 79.5kg, and my "fight weight" when doing Muay Thai was 78kg so pretty lean, which I attribute to the increased mileage and a bit more effort with the diet.
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16794
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/04 08:51:01 (permalink)
I always thought IF was like little bits of 8 hour fasts compared to fasting say 24hours. Which is where I always hear the benefits really come from, especially health benefits

That last video Johnny posted is interesting and repeats what I learnt from the book “Eat-Stop-Eat” which is full of scienctific journals to back up the claims and debukes a lot of the gym nonsense to food that Men Health or roid heads would have you believe.

That video does also say ketosis can be achieved after 3 days of fasting....tempting to try it though but wondering how i’d function at work.
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9445
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:13:14 (permalink)
Original Nuttah
First day back in the gym after a few weeks off. I'm going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow.

This was me on Wednesday. Felt so pathetic at the time but so good afterwards. My brain properly starts to suffer if I haven't been for a few weeks.

Going to try and do this Couch to 5K shit. Any recommendations for cheap running trainers? Ideally under £50.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:17:48 (permalink)
Anyone use a pull up bar at home? Not the doorframe ones. More the ones bolted to a wall.

Thinking about getting one of these for an outside wall. Then I can take down the pull up section and just leave the baseplate installed, put a plant or something over it to cover.

Perfect for after a quick road run IMO.... They also do an outdoor one that can strap to tree trunks / poles!

https://www.pullup-dip.co...unted-pull-up-bar.html

Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:27:53 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Anyone use a pull up bar at home?

More the ones bolted to a wall.

Yes and no. 

Gotta be one of the most value for money vs results bit of kit you can buy surely?

In 5 weeks off the gym I've definitely got weaker lol. Par for the course for skinnyish guysh I guess.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:30:56 (permalink)
I had some scaffolding up for some work to the house during the summer, was great for pull ups. Big fan of them for all round targeting

Jamie S23
  • Total Posts : 16330
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:32:16 (permalink)
Syzlack_23
Original Nuttah

This was me on Wednesday. Felt so pathetic at the time but so good afterwards. My brain properly starts to suffer if I haven't been for a few weeks.

Going to try and do this Couch to 5K shit. Any recommendations for cheap running trainers? Ideally under £50.

Sportshoes.com have a good sale on, probably pick up some decent Asics for under £50
Travs
  • Total Posts : 478
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:35:25 (permalink)
dj jamie
Syzlack_23
Original Nuttah

Sportshoes.com have a good sale on, probably pick up some decent Asics for under £50

Was just writing something similar. Asics are fine for a bit of running. If you've got a "Go Outdoors" store near you they usually have a fair range of Asics trainers. You can also get dirt cheap trainers from Decathlon. You don't need anything more until if/when you start doing some regular heavy mileage...
Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:37:04 (permalink)
BrianBadonde
Anyone use a pull up bar at home? Not the doorframe ones. More the ones bolted to a wall.

Thinking about getting one of these for an outside wall. Then I can take down the pull up section and just leave the baseplate installed, put a plant or something over it to cover.

Perfect for after a quick road run IMO.... They also do an outdoor one that can strap to tree trunks / poles!

That seems like a lot of money for a pull up bar. Get this for less money. Cover it in plastic and use it as a greenhouse
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mirafit-Heavy-Olympic-Power-Multi/dp/B00S6LO8LW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1515155587&sr=1-4&keywords=power+cage

Law
  • Total Posts : 64226
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:40:56 (permalink)
lol at "power cage"
Syzlack_24
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:41:36 (permalink)

Travs
dj jamie
Syzlack_23
Original Nuttah

Was just writing something similar. Asics are fine for a bit of running. If you've got a "Go Outdoors" store near you they usually have a fair range of Asics trainers. You can also get dirt cheap trainers from Decathlon. You don't need anything more until if/when you start doing some regular heavy mileage...

Cheers lads. I'll check out Decatholon in Surrey Quays tomorrow
post edited by Syzlack_24 - 2018/01/05 12:42:43
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:42:03 (permalink)
^ I need some new ones. I did what ended up a 14k (ffs) run in Scotland over Xmas and the last half of it was virtually fell running across the cliffs on the coast line. Absolutely mullered my beasty yellow Asics.

Views were pretty nang though!

Almost went down this on my arse though

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:57:16 (permalink)
BrianBadonde

What about your shoulder?

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2018/01/05 12:59:52 (permalink)
Recent gym related "hilarity":

1. Accidently spat in a spotters face when exhaling two nights ago

2. Squatting recently, heard a hench "RIIIIIIIP" when coming out of the hole- split my shorts up the arse, right up to the elastic. Literally the first working set of the evening. Had to stay another sixty odd minutes with my kacks on display

Page: << < ..306307308309310.. > >> Showing page 306 of 316
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0