Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..296297298299300.. > >> Showing page 300 of 304
Author
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30012
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 19:31:24 (permalink)
I fucking love squats but only really push myself with someone spotting me. Finding people who can spot squats properly seems to be impossible.

Bruce Bogtrotter
  • Total Posts : 7523
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 19:45:41 (permalink)
I properly shat a disc in my back dojng squats. Never ever fucking again. 

THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1207
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 20:48:10 (permalink)
Lrrr
I fucking love squats but only really push myself with someone spotting me. Finding people who can spot squats properly seems to be impossible.

Why not just do it in a rack with safety pins/bars?
RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11909
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 20:52:10 (permalink)
BrianBadonde

Is that how you fucked your back?

What happened, did you slip or something?

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 22:06:48 (permalink)
Lrrr

I do, but I think it's a psychological thing. Always seem to manage an extra rep or a PB if someone's spotting me!

wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2298
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 06:40:23 (permalink)
Lrrr
Lrrr

I do, but I think it's a psychological thing. Always seem to manage an extra rep or a PB if someone's spotting me!

If you are doing it properly in a rack with the pins set right it's just mind over matter
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11269
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 07:31:48 (permalink)
So a psychological thing then
Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 07:43:18 (permalink)
Shiverman
So a psychological thing then

Was thinking the same 😂

Law
  • Total Posts : 63090
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:03:18 (permalink)
I did some pathetic squats and deadlifts today for the first time in a year. Me and my matchstick legs are utterly destroyed now. I could barely walk up the stairs to the office. Sick.
Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:19:28 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
BrianBadonde

Is that how you fucked your back?

What happened, did you slip or something?

Initially felt like I had pulled my hamstring (the next day). This went on for weeks and got worse. It then turned in to months and I thought it was a trapped nerve. My disc must have just touched cloth...

Then 6 months later it unclenched and fully unloaded right in to my spinal nerve. The MRI still makes me shudder.

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:44:08 (permalink)
Law
I did some pathetic squats and deadlifts today for the first time in a year. Me and my matchstick legs are utterly destroyed now. I could barely walk up the stairs to the office. Sick.

In the same day?! Fuck that. Sunday will be horrific.

PRAY4LAW

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:45:08 (permalink)
BrianBadonde

Initially felt like I had pulled my hamstring (the next day). This went on for weeks and got worse. It then turned in to months and I thought it was a trapped nerve. My disc must have just touched cloth...

Then 6 months later it unclenched and fully unloaded right in to my spinal nerve. The MRI still makes me shudder.

I'm a bit scared now. Fucks sake. I think people that sit all day at work are at more risk of this shit. 

Your form must have been off by definition, did it feel "wrong" at the time? 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:46:28 (permalink)
Law

I quite like getting up and feeling my legs buckle, always makes me laugh for some reason- probably the irony of doing something to get stronger and being unable to stand

Bruce Bogtrotter
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 08:51:23 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
BrianBadonde

I'm a bit scared now. Fucks sake. I think people that sit all day at work are at more risk of this shit. 

Your form must have been off by definition, did it feel "wrong" at the time? 

Yeah prob just bad posture/form. Just be fucking careful.

I'm never lifting anything that involves back work at the gym or in life ever for eternity.

Law
  • Total Posts : 63090
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 09:10:59 (permalink)
Lrrr
Law

PRAY4LAW

I wasn't going hard at it. More just wanting to sort out my form before I get into it properly. Even that has made me wobbly. I can't emphasise the word "pathetic" enough here btw.
Griff
  • Total Posts : 8522
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 10:03:17 (permalink)
Law
Lrrr
Law

PRAY4LAW

I wasn't going hard at it. More just wanting to sort out my form before I get into it properly. Even that has made me wobbly. I can't emphasise the word "pathetic" enough here btw.

Sunday will still be painful, squats the first time back KILL the legs a couple of days later.

I have the same thing psychological thing with squats, even in a decent rack with the pins set properly etc, I can never push as hard as I can with a spotter.  My gym is usually pretty busy so unfortunately the fear of the bar clattering down on the pins etc is enough to make me hold back a bit.  Same with barbell bench I guess, but that's because there is no safety net by yourself if you get stuck lol
THIRT33N
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 11:06:46 (permalink)
There is no reason to be scared in a rack unless you're setting the pins at the wrong height.

For squats as long as you're not going "ass to grass" you can just lower the bar onto the safeties. No shame in failing a rep.

http://stronglifts.com/squat/#Failing_Reps_Safely

If you're squatting a heavy weight I don't think a spotter is going to be able to do shit anyway.

You can bench inside a rack as well, so what's the problem?
post edited by THIRT33N - 2017/09/08 11:09:39
Griff
  • Total Posts : 8522
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 11:18:13 (permalink)
No problem m8, just saying is all. 
THIRT33N
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 13:01:32 (permalink)
Fair enough, I've just never felt unsafe in a rack as the whole point is to be able to lift safely alone.

I did fuck up my back once squatting as I hit the safeties at the bottom, threw me off balance. Just make sure it's all set at the right height now.
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 2924
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 13:11:02 (permalink)
Only issues with racks if I lock "ass to grass" it puts me almost exactly half way between the bottom two pins. Must just be an awkward height and/or leg length. Either stops my rep slightly short or feel I'd need to fall back slightly if I'm lifting near PB which is a guarenteed back killer. Always advisable to have a spotter if you're outside your comfort zone with squats imo
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/08 13:12:31 (permalink)
I tried to do squats without weights a few weeks back to get the form right and couldn't even coordinate my fat arse initially

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/09 14:16:06 (permalink)
I get that it's safe to squat alone, and I do 99% of the time. I'm just saying I prefer a spotter is all 😂

@Law - what did you squat & deadlift and how many reps/sets?

wakeytom
  • Total Posts : 2298
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/09 15:01:18 (permalink)
Lrrr
I get that it's safe to squat alone, and I do 99% of the time. I'm just saying I prefer a spotter is all 😂

@Law - what did you squat & deadlift and how many reps/sets?

Problem is on a heavy set a spotter will not be able to do anything. My max was 140kg - dont think my mate would do much to help if I dropped so it was all about trusting the pins
Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/09 17:30:28 (permalink)
I disagree. Unless you're going 20/30% above your max, which no sane person would do, then even if you fail you're going to get some way through the movement. The spotter is there for the 10% you need to finish the rep.

Travs
  • Total Posts : 326
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/09 18:13:06 (permalink)
Knocked out my second fell race in a week today. 41st in the Welsh Championships (I'm not Welsh btw).

5hrs05

15 mins faster than last year despite the treacherous conditions. Absolutely hammered it on the uphills and felt very strong, so the training is obviously working.

3 weeks of recovery and training before the next one.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31801
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/21 08:37:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Smokey McPot 2017/09/21 09:34:39
Ran 7 miles last night. Never run that far in my life before. Hooray.
Arcadian
  • Total Posts : 1364
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/11/04 01:39:06 (permalink)
does anyone know a cheap, good tasting nondairy protein powder? or is that impossible
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 8903
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/11/04 05:55:38 (permalink)
Very possible, just look for any top rated brand.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 326
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/11/04 07:29:42 (permalink)
Cross-country season is now underway. As a long distance runner, finding it tough on the shorter faster courses I've been running on over the past few weeks. Although managed 11:29 over 3km last weekend, which is approx 38min 10km pace (only over 3km though, but on a rough cross Country course), so not too bad.

Next real big race is middle of January, from Marsden, near Huddersfield, across the Peak District to finish in Edale, right at the bottom of the Pennine Way. Anyone who knows this area will know that it's horrible terrain in summer, never mind mid winter. In 2016 did this race in bitter cold, something like -21 wind chill. Did it again earlier this year, praying for warmer weather, which we duly got, but it was even worse, as the ground was not totally frozen, so spent every 50 yards picking myself up out of knee deep peat/mud/snow. Utterly soul destroying, but a good race for me as it slowed the real runners down, and played into the hands of battlers like me.

Also planning a 100 mile race in may around the Pembrokeshire Coast Path. Absolutely beautiful over there.
Rapt
  • Total Posts : 4120
Re: RE: @ Gym peeps 2017/11/04 09:00:16 (permalink)
Arcadian
does anyone know a cheap, good tasting nondairy protein powder? or is that impossible

I haven't looked into it myself but have seen this on a few vegan healthfood videos.

https://sunwarrior.com/store/
Page: << < ..296297298299300.. > >> Showing page 300 of 304
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0