Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..296297298299300 > Showing page 299 of 300
Author
Law
  • Total Posts : 62769
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 10:16:49 (permalink)
That sounds like hell Majik
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 29670
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 10:28:58 (permalink)
Majik
Lrrr

What's the diet and routine?

Fairly rudimentary stuff to be honest mate;

Mon - chest and shoulders, Tues - back and abs, Weds - legs, Thurs - arms and abs, Fri - circuit training, Sat - active recovery (swimming) plus 20/25 mins cardio each day.

Diet is porridge with yogurt and an apple for breakfast, post training shake and a banana, chicken and rice for meal 2, fish and veg for meal 3, dinner is chicken breast and veg, and pre-bedtime is 3 egg and vegetable omelette with half an avocado. Snacks are fruit, veg and a daily protein bar.

Just pretty bland and formulaic but going on holiday in Dec so want to get in some semblance of shape before then.

Yeah that looks like it'll do the job, keep at it! How do you feel about doing chest & shoulders together? Always finds that one suffers if I do them on the same day.

How do you feel/handle 'cheat' days? I'll just grab junk food as when I feel like it but try to limit it to twice a week tops. Biggest mistake I've made in the past is feeling like I'm worse than Hitler because I ate a double cheeseburger on a Tuesday so fucked the whole thing off for months 
post edited by Lrrr - 2017/09/06 10:30:14

Majik
  • Total Posts : 40770
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 11:52:48 (permalink)
I used to do what Law did and eat well during the week but anything goes at weekends, however since I've hit 30 it's fucking solid work shifting any excess flab, different problem to you boys!

I trained chest and back together fo ages so I'm used to working with different muscle groups, wasn't on great form on Monday though so didn't push as heavy as usual. Takes a while to get used to new routines plus I go gym in the morning, and the new diet plus no pre workout didn't help!

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 12:56:01 (permalink)
Yeah that's the thing that's put me off training in the morning, by the time I ate then left it an hour or 2 for he gym I'd just want to go back to bed lol.

Aiming for 75kg bench tonight - #Pray4Lrrr

Majik
  • Total Posts : 40770
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 13:10:28 (permalink)
Yeah I yam the porridge and then go pretty much straight away, not ideal but needs to be done.

I actually find barbell presses a lot harder than dumbbell presses, makes my shoulder feel awkward.

RUSSELL CLARTY
  • Total Posts : 11601
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 13:35:42 (permalink)
Majik
however since I've hit 30 it's fucking solid work shifting any excess flab, different problem to you boys!

I'm seriously confused about calories these days, being a stone overweight at 42 yet wanting to put on muscle... gah. Reading anything technical makes my head spin, b2b the amount of contradictory stuff out there

EDIT: 43 in ten days. 

Griff
  • Total Posts : 8227
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 13:47:30 (permalink)
Dave, there's so much confusing and conflicting info out there, the problem is, it's near enough impossible to both lose fat and put on muscle at the same time unfortunately.  As a beginner, if you start a program to lose and cut fat, using free weights etc then you'll naturally build a bit of muscle, but as a general rule, the two things are separate to each other.

What's more important to you first, lose the stone or start putting on muscle? 
Griff
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 13:51:22 (permalink)
I'm in a similar position, I used to train regularly and be in good shape, but this was a good 3 years or so now.

Since then I've turned into a fat fuck, but I'm getting back on it now and sorting myself out.

I'm going to do a 3 day a week, pretty simple full body workout, compound lifts etc.  Combined with a couple of cardio sessions in between, but I'm going to cut calories so use it as a fat loss routine rather than a muscle building routine.  Hopefully between old muscle memory and the shock to the system, I'll grow a little muscle during this too. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 15:31:33 (permalink)
Griff
Dave, there's so much confusing and conflicting info out there, the problem is, it's near enough impossible to both lose fat and put on muscle at the same time unfortunately.  As a beginner, if you start a program to lose and cut fat, using free weights etc then you'll naturally build a bit of muscle, but as a general rule, the two things are separate to each other.

It was losing blubber initially, that started to come off a few weeks back (after a good while of trying to get somewhere) when I started hitting the free weights again after nearly a decade. Always kept up the running during this time but when you only do 20/30 minutes every two days when you get to 40 it simply isn't enough. So I hit the weights, and being the body type I am found I started to lose weight almost immediately. 

But now I'm getting obsessed with squats and deadlifts and all that shit, I'm feeling a lot fresher for the resistance work and I'm starting to feel like I want to take it in that direction. Basically I want it all, like a greedy twat. I'm a shit runner but I can't stop doing it, I want to put on muscle and delay aging, and I want to do it all in middle age. With an office job. And little kids. 

Griff
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 15:42:34 (permalink)
Jungle Dave
Griff

It was losing blubber initially, that started to come off a few weeks back (after a good while of trying to get somewhere) when I started hitting the free weights again after nearly a decade. Always kept up the running during this time but when you only do 20/30 minutes every two days when you get to 40 it simply isn't enough. So I hit the weights, and being the body type I am found I started to lose weight almost immediately. 

But now I'm getting obsessed with squats and deadlifts and all that shit, I'm feeling a lot fresher for the resistance work and I'm starting to feel like I want to take it in that direction. Basically I want it all, like a greedy twat. I'm a shit runner but I can't stop doing it, I want to put on muscle and delay aging, and I want to do it all in middle age. With an office job. And little kids. 

Ah fair enough mate.  Well in that case, I'd start to up the calories a little.  It seems to me that you want to start progressing on the weights side of things, you'll have to increase calories to do that.  If you keep up the weight training and running then you won't start putting on fat, it'll just help your strength increase.

Have you checked out that Stronglifts 5x5 program from earlier in this thread?  It's one of the best things for increasing squats, deadlifts and presses.  I'd start increasing calories and get started on that, you'll see some decent results. 
RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 15:59:25 (permalink)
Griff

Ah fair enough mate.  Well in that case, I'd start to up the calories a little.  It seems to me that you want to start progressing on the weights side of things, you'll have to increase calories to do that.  If you keep up the weight training and running then you won't start putting on fat, it'll just help your strength increase.

Have you checked out that Stronglifts 5x5 program from earlier in this thread?  It's one of the best things for increasing squats, deadlifts and presses.  I'd start increasing calories and get started on that, you'll see some decent results. 

Feels very strange overeating deliberately, but I heard that as you age you essentially become resistant to amino acids, so protein intake has to go up.

I've been looking at the Stronglifts program, and I'm looking at the Juggernaught program too. 

Thing is, I do struggle with injuries historically, and sticking to a routine rigidly seems like a shortcut to injury- for example, I did some eccentric squats on Sunday to try and treat a dodgy knee ligament, and I still have DOMS today- which is fucking leg day again- so I'm going to have to mix it up a bit and adapt this evening. I just don't know how people don't get injured before getting jacked. 

I don't sleep enough, that may well help with it all. 

Griff
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 16:04:20 (permalink)
Form mate, it's all in the form.  Start light and get your form perfect.  There's forums where you can upload videos etc of yourself.  Especially squats, form is everything. 
Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3650
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 16:13:32 (permalink)
Is anyone currently doing the 5x5 program? Do you stick to the three days only a week or is it ok to have a cardio day or do additional smaller muscle group exercises on top of the 3 compound exercises?

I want to have a pop at it but I'm completely new to compound exercises so I've been putting off starting over my last few sessions. Only been doing the gym for about 5 months but have stuck to a strict routine and diet which has only involved minimal use a free weights/compound exercises whilst I got used to the gym and gained a bit of confidence.

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 16:30:00 (permalink)
I know we're being all supportive and telling everyone it's fine to start light, but I trained legs with my brother at the weekend and he couldn't manage a 45kg squat. He weighs 88kg. It was glorious.

Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10974
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/06 23:29:40 (permalink)
Tommy the Coat
Is anyone currently doing the 5x5 program? Do you stick to the three days only a week or is it ok to have a cardio day or do additional smaller muscle group exercises on top of the 3 compound exercises?

I want to have a pop at it but I'm completely new to compound exercises so I've been putting off starting over my last few sessions. Only been doing the gym for about 5 months but have stuck to a strict routine and diet which has only involved minimal use a free weights/compound exercises whilst I got used to the gym and gained a bit of confidence.

There's a workout called Ice Cream Fitness that is basically 5x5 with some ancillary workouts, it's good, but I found it takes too long in the gym, I hate fucking around in there for ages. And yeah cardio is fine on other days from what I've read, helps recovery.
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I've started doing a 6 day PPL split. I was doing a 5 day bro-split + Deads and Squats before this and it did me well (biggest thing was actually sticking to a program for 12 weeks), but not making enough strength progression to keep it going. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43539
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 09:32:57 (permalink)
Does anyone train at home and can advise on the best place to order weights/kit from? Just something good enough to follow something like 5x5 with.
I need to do something, got a bit of space that I could use to lift some heavy shit in, and haven't got the time or money for a gym membership. Decided I don't want to die on the toilet at 45.

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 09:47:27 (permalink)
Get some dumbells and an exercise ball
http://www.muscleandstren...-fullbody-workout.html
Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 11:32:46 (permalink)
https://www.mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-power-cage-913.html?vat=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI66zU5vyS1gIVuDLTCh0yRQR_EAQYAyABEgJUovD_BwE#966=141

This, a bench, a bar, free weights, dumbbells and a mat. Should all he less than a grand and you'd have everything you need.

The Waco Kid
  • Total Posts : 43539
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 11:43:01 (permalink)
"take your home gym to the next level"... I was thinking about starting at the first level tbh.
If it's even close to a grand I'd rather remaining sitting on my fat can with the occasional power wank to get the blood pumping.

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 11:46:55 (permalink)

gavinx
  • Total Posts : 6726
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 11:48:21 (permalink)
south park parody episode is so good 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQj0zlnZqvU 
Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 11:53:07 (permalink)
I still can't believe it's a real product
Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 12:07:47 (permalink)
Syhr
"take your home gym to the next level"... I was thinking about starting at the first level tbh.
If it's even close to a grand I'd rather remaining sitting on my fat can with the occasional power wank to get the blood pumping.

TBF that's the kind of stuff you'd need for the 5x5 stuff, it's not excessive!

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 12:26:29 (permalink)
If I was doing a home gym properly that's the first thing I'd buy. I've often toyed with the idea of buying a rack, a bench and a barbell, I reckon long term it's definitely the thing to do. If you got it all for less than a grand then you're laughing. No more having to worry about sw14 sideways glancing at you while you check your phone between squats
Tommy the Coat
  • Total Posts : 3650
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:15:17 (permalink)
Shiverman
Tommy the Coat

There's a workout called Ice Cream Fitness that is basically 5x5 with some ancillary workouts, it's good, but I found it takes too long in the gym, I hate fucking around in there for ages. And yeah cardio is fine on other days from what I've read, helps recovery.
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

I've started doing a 6 day PPL split. I was doing a 5 day bro-split + Deads and Squats before this and it did me well (biggest thing was actually sticking to a program for 12 weeks), but not making enough strength progression to keep it going. 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/

Nice one. I'll have a read. The more I've read of StrongLifts I've seen some decent recommendations for ancillary exercises.

Might try and get back in the pool on a rest day.

Lrrr
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:17:11 (permalink)
Shiverman
If I was doing a home gym properly that's the first thing I'd buy. I've often toyed with the idea of buying a rack, a bench and a barbell, I reckon long term it's definitely the thing to do. If you got it all for less than a grand then you're laughing. No more having to worry about sw14 sideways glancing at you while you check your phone between squats

It's the only things you really need. Soon as I get a house, it's going in the garage.

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:17:21 (permalink)
Griff
Form mate, it's all in the form.  Start light and get your form perfect.  There's forums where you can upload videos etc of yourself.  Especially squats, form is everything. 

I'm terrified of squats. I can barely do them with proper form, even without any weight. Wobbly as fuck, stiff ass ankles, feel like my body is the wrong shape. All BS self-talk though!

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:18:41 (permalink)
Tommy the Coat

I've been told stick your cardio on the end of a session, and rest properly. 

RUSSELL CLARTY
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:21:41 (permalink)
Syhr
Does anyone train at home and can advise on the best place to order weights/kit from? Just something good enough to follow something like 5x5 with.
I need to do something, got a bit of space that I could use to lift some heavy shit in, and haven't got the time or money for a gym membership. Decided I don't want to die on the toilet at 45.

You probably need access to a rack if you want to do a muscle building program like 5X5. 

There is plenty of stuff you can do with a bench and some free weights, but your legs won't be keeping up with your magnificent Welsh torso unless you get squatting. 

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/07 13:24:20 (permalink)
I love squats but my knees are absolutely fucked and I just don't feel comfortable doing them now, even with no weight. Need to see a physio
Page: << < ..296297298299300 > Showing page 299 of 300
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0