Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..296297298299300.. > >> Showing page 297 of 305
Author
DasItMane
  • Total Posts : 1268
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/02 19:47:59 (permalink)
@Badrid - 3K cals is waaaaay too much for someone weighing 62kg.

That's how much I eat @ 90kg training for PL meets. 
DJaySwitch
  • Total Posts : 7597
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/02 22:34:45 (permalink)
Law
@gainz guys

Being going to the gym on and off for a couple of years but never really taken it remotely seriously. A few questions...

- How many sets do you go for? 3 or 4? 3 sets and barely being able to make the last few reps feels right to me. Reps 8-10. I see a lot of people go for 4 sets though? Thoughts?

- Protein / calorie intake before or after workout? I'm not sure I can smash breakfast and a huge protein shake before, and then more or less do it all again after a work out? If you had to pick one? I'm feeling pretty hungry after a workout and I'm worried that it's making any work pointless?

- Any tips for on cardio around weight training for someone naturally thin who burns calories by thinking?

Law keep it simple, as youre not an advanced weightlifter i would recommend 3 days a week of full body workouts for maximum gains in the shortest space of time.

Body part splits are only properly effective if you can dedicate a lot of time to the gym, like 5 times a week tbh. Keep your sets to 3 on everything unless theres something specific you want to build more, then do up to 5 sets on that body part.

8-10 reps is fine but you need to mix it up. So one week do that rep range, the next week aim for 5 or 6 reps. The next week try 12-15 reps etc. Keep shocking your muscles.

Regards to cardio i would personally fuck it off until youve built up a bit. If you really want to do some then do HIIT at the end of your workouts or even better on seperate days.

You want a big meal after a workout filled with protein, good fats and complex carbs. The meal before a workout id keep it a leaner one more based around protein and fat. Tbh i normally have a shake or a protein bar before i train as i usually come from work so dont get time for anything else till the meal after. Hope this helps.

www.myspace.com/urbanchaosdrumandbass
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 11356
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 07:46:17 (permalink)
I think the defacto beginner program is Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple and progresses well, has a decent app. 
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
Law
  • Total Posts : 63223
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 10:28:59 (permalink)
DJaySwitch
Law keep it simple, as youre not an advanced weightlifter 

I will not see a bigger understatement all year.

Thanks for your advice there mate. Very helpful. I am going three times a week, before work mon, weds, fri.

Only started last week but trying to follow this: http://www.homeshredded.com/8-week-beginner-program/ 
Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 10:34:47 (permalink)
Shiverman
I think the defacto beginner program is Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple and progresses well, has a decent app. 

I will have a look at this, but tbh there's far too much to read on  that page. Putting me off already.
Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 10:46:51 (permalink)
I'm not sure I've ever read it. Just download the app, it's the simplest exercise routine you can do, I think there's only 5 exercises in the entire thing

Edit, yeah definitely not read that...was the first link in google. Christ that's a lot of words what is basically: do these 5x5 of these 3 exercises, 3 times a week.

This is the entire workout. 

post edited by Shiverman - 2017/09/03 10:48:47
dimdum
  • Total Posts : 16425
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 11:03:05 (permalink)
5x5 is great. Annoying when you have like 3-4 weeks off and your squats are back to the beginning. I tried to ignore it once but I couldn't walk properly after
Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 11:18:50 (permalink)
lol yeah, standard
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9078
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 12:54:50 (permalink)
Law
Shiverman

I will have a look at this, but tbh there's far too much to read on  that page. Putting me off already.

yeah his site is ridiculous. Just ignore it and download the app imho tbh. It's a good beginner programme for 6 months or so
SW14
  • Total Posts : 9897
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 16:38:16 (permalink)
Majik
Gym pricks are the worst though, guys flashing their nipples in those mankini vests, taking selfies and shit in the gym mirrors, grunting and slamming weights as loud as humanly possible.

I swear my tolerance of everyday life is so low.

And the cunts that sit there taking 5 minutes between sets checking whatsapp when you're there in your lunch hour and you need that decline bench. Need a 10kg dumbell round the back of the head tbh.  

Imagine being on a bench press, looking up and seeing Shrien Devani (the bloke that launched his wife out of a taxi in Cape Town) standing there waiting for his set. That cunt trained at my Easygym.
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30050
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 21:39:09 (permalink)
Tbf I take 3/4 min on 'heavy' sets but always offer if someone is waiting. It's cunts who do that and don't let people jump in that are the worst.

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/03 23:31:55 (permalink)
SW14 Do you ask them if you can work in or are you just glaring at them? If not then you're not doing yourself any favours. Literally never had anyone say no when asking if I can work in.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31829
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 07:30:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Joey Gunz 2017/09/04 10:55:08
Did my first ever competitive event yesterday 400m in the pool and then my m8 did the 5k run as part of a relay team. 8:23 on the swim which is pretty slow but I'm glad I did it and have something to aim at now. Sub 8mins definitely achievable.
I did all the classic first race mistakes, set off way too fast pranged myself out about how fast everyone else was etc etc.

We were 8th out of 16 though so not a total embarrassment.
Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 08:12:19 (permalink)
Well done mate. That's an achievement IMO.
Daniel Snakeman
  • Total Posts : 31829
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 08:21:47 (permalink)
Well considering I

Did barely any actual training
Was on the piss till midnight the night before
Had never done anything like it before

I'd have to agree tbh!
DasItMane
  • Total Posts : 1268
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 10:27:23 (permalink)
SW14
Majik
Gym pricks are the worst though, guys flashing their nipples in those mankini vests, taking selfies and shit in the gym mirrors, grunting and slamming weights as loud as humanly possible.

I swear my tolerance of everyday life is so low.

And the cunts that sit there taking 5 minutes between sets checking whatsapp

This is me. Sometimes 10 min rests. Stay mad.

I don't train in a commercial gym though tbf.
Travs
  • Total Posts : 345
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 10:45:37 (permalink)
19 mile fell race yesterday. Felt pretty strong. There is a long final climb of about 2 miles which is right on the borderline of should I walk/run. Managed to run most of it and knocked 8 minutes off my best time for that race. Still a lot of improvements to be made, but a good day.

Running for the train this morning was not so good.
Original Nuttah
  • Total Posts : 1204
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 12:28:31 (permalink)
After going to Ibiza and having loads of weekends away this year and drinking far too much I really need to lose weight. It didn't help that I pulled a muscle in my back in July and it stiffened up. I've been going on and off to the gym and stretching has helped but now I'm going to go regularly and track my diet through myfitness pal. I've also bought the LDN Muscle gutting guide to change up my routine. I've already done some HIIT this morning and walked 3 miles to work. Will be doing weights this evening.
Bosko Balaban
  • Total Posts : 1387
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 12:38:35 (permalink)
whats everyone saying on their diet then since that's the key bit really? its a fucking chore trying to eat clean day after day

ive been going about three months, three days on, one day off. Just doing a circuit of the machines 5x10 30 second rest, up weight when I'm not fucked. Ive done fuck all cardio in that time.
ive been eating anything to bulk up as I apparently need 3100 calories a day. I'm trying to eat clean now as ive a gut I'm not keen on but defo put some muscle on which wasn't hard from being a skinny runt before
Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 12:52:31 (permalink)
+1 Arcadian. I'm trying to make a load of small chanegs and cut out the shit (except for the weekend where I eat and drink whatever). Just gotta avoid fast food at lunch. During the summer holidays I dont go home for lunch, so I was just going to McDonald's, KFC or BK every day. Ridiculous behaviour.
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5075
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 13:02:10 (permalink)
I'm in a post-wedding/honeymoon slump tbh. I ran 150 miles in the 2 weeks leading up to wedding / 2 weeks away on honeymoon but have only managed to venture to the gym three times since getting back a few weeks ago. I'm struggling to find motivation for it at the moment but I am generally eating better than normal anyway so not really putting on weight etc. 

I'm just struggling to get motivated in general. People weren't lying when they said it'd be a big crash back down to normality after such a big event. I'm getting high most evenings after work which puts me in a nice hazy bubble where I don't have to care but I do care and it's making it hard for me to get stuff done.

Gonna have to knock weed on the head for a few weeks and pull my shit together in general I think. Ugh. 
SW14
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 13:04:37 (permalink)
You're such a sensitive soul Daz. You remember me of the stoner from the Streets song "the irony of it all". 
dazdsb
  • Total Posts : 5075
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 13:12:25 (permalink)
lol, I dunno maybe. I guess it all stems back to not really knowing what to do with myself at this point in my life. I mentioned before about having somewhat of an existential crisis and not knowing whether to pack everything in for a bit and go travelling. the wedding was somewhat of a distraction from reality for almost 8 months and now it's over it's back to not knowing what to do next. mrs is now talking about time-frames for having kids (lol). we still want to do a bit more travelling. I have a safe job that pays well, nice car, etc. but it doesn't make me feel fulfilled really and I could give it up tomorrow if it wasn't for how comfortable it is. I want to start my own business but not sure it's the right time. I want to push my running to the next level and sign up for some longer races but also can't be fucked to train right now. 

too much to think about and no real desire to solve any of these questions even though they eat away at my brain constantly to the point where I struggle to sleep at night unless I'm stoned. 

sensitive soul, probably tbf. I'd love to be a simpler human being that floats through life with less consideration for such nonsense. 
Syzlack_24
  • Total Posts : 9078
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 14:09:45 (permalink)
Arcadian
whats everyone saying on their diet then since that's the key bit really? its a fucking chore trying to eat clean day after day

ive been going about three months, three days on, one day off. Just doing a circuit of the machines 5x10 30 second rest, up weight when I'm not fucked. Ive done fuck all cardio in that time.
ive been eating anything to bulk up as I apparently need 3100 calories a day. I'm trying to eat clean now as ive a gut I'm not keen on but defo put some muscle on which wasn't hard from being a skinny runt before

Why machines? I fannied around on machines for about a year but didn't see any real GAINZ until I started doing squats/deadlifts/press/rows.
Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 14:20:25 (permalink)
I used machines for about a month and then i realised it really does kinda defeat the object in most cases. I was literally doing them because it was easier lol. 

From my reading some machines target just one muscle or group alone - whereas something like a dumbbell chest press, you're using loads of muscles just to stabilise, let alone what your targeting. Just makes more logical sense to use weights I guess?

Probably only worth using if your unbelievably weak / injured or an OAP?
THIRT33N
  • Total Posts : 1222
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 14:30:22 (permalink)
+1 for stronglifts 5x5

It's worth reading the site tbh, lots of info about form etc for a beginner. Might as well understand how/why/what you're going to spend X months/years doing.
Lrrr
  • Total Posts : 30050
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 16:02:21 (permalink)
Arcadian

• Porridge with weight gain shake for breakfast
  • Cooked BBQ chicken & rice for lunch
  • Some random meat based snack mid afternoon
  • Steak & mash for dinner
  • Protein shake after gym
  • Toast & peanut butter at some point
  • Protein shake before bed

Machines are mostly awful.
post edited by Lrrr - 2017/09/04 16:03:22

Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 16:13:16 (permalink)
Three protein shakes a day. Eurgh. I grew to loathe them when I was putting weight on a few years back. They did the trick though. Strictly unflavoured now - myprotein do some weird flavours.

What gainer are you using Malc?
SW14
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 16:19:02 (permalink)
I fucking love them, as long as they're mixed with milk and blended. 
Law
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/09/04 16:24:41 (permalink)
It's more about shoving that much in, when you've chosen some bullshit flavour like cookies and cream. Unflavoured is fine. At least you can add your own flavours if you want. Banana b2b peanut butter.
Page: << < ..296297298299300.. > >> Showing page 297 of 305
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0