Helpful ReplyHot![FAQ][FAQ] GYM THREAD

Page: << < ..291292293294295 Showing page 295 of 295
Author
Travs
  • Total Posts : 290
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/11 12:17:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Shiverman 2017/08/11 12:20:12
Shiverman
Got my first ever competitive race on sunday (14km) and I've completely pulled my hamstring and my calf has seized up. Hopefully be alright but be a bit pissed off considering I've been building up to it for 3 months.

Any tips Travs? Been foam rolling, stretching with a band and icing it. Reckon I'll just bosh a load of ibuprofen for the race and then sit with it in a bucket of ice water afterwards

Ice would be my first priority. Before and after the race.

By all means whack a few painkillers if you are completely committed to the race and not too bothered that you may do some more damage during the race, therefore increasing the recovery time after. I've certainly done it before. I was in a similar position before a 45mile race a couple of months back, and there was no way I was going to drop out.

I'd also advise that if/when you do a warm up, don't go overboard doing static stretches in an attempt to loosen it up. Just do whatever you would usually do, or have an easy jog and then a few little faster sprints to get the heart rate up.
Shiverman
  • Total Posts : 10825
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/11 12:20:08 (permalink)
Nice one. Yeah I think I've ended up making it worse with the stretching tbh. I base that on no evidence.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/11 12:23:59 (permalink)
I find that stretching doesn't really work if you are not fully warm. If you loosen up with running, sprints, hops, whaetever, there's probably no need for stretching before a run/race... as you say, it can make things worse.

I'm a big believer in stretching after a hard run. Admittedly after a fell race, or even a tough track session, I usually can't be fucked to bother, but I stretch religiously after every gym cardio session, so at least 4-5 times a week.

Just basic calf, Achilles, hamstring, groin, and quad stretches.
Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/11 12:30:54 (permalink)
Ok cool, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks
Miss SD
  • Total Posts : 24774
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/12 20:58:27 (permalink)
Shiverman
Miss SD
Almost lost 3.5 stone now. Just did a kettle HIIT class for the first time which was pretty tough. Trying to mix it up a bit. Still surviving on 1750 calories a day. Just.

That's amazing, nice work.

Thanks. Id like to say its been hard going but tbh i have developed a proper love for the gym which ive never had before. And eating clean is making me feel on top of the fucking world. Ive never felt so fit and strong and when i do HIIT classes im lifting heavier weights than most of the men which makes me feel pretty fucking tippity toppity
H. H. Holmes
  • Total Posts : 2721
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/12 21:02:43 (permalink)
That feeling when you start seeing positive changes in your body and your mind is one of the best natural highs you can get well done Miss SD keep it up
Miss SD
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/12 21:30:09 (permalink)
Whowhere
That feeling when you start seeing positive changes in your body and your mind is one of the best natural highs you can get well done Miss SD keep it up
thankyou. I must say my legs are toned to fuck lol. I just like looking at rhem cos they look better than when i wasn8n my early 20's. Just need to sort me tummy ouy and hopefully ill start seeing a six pack. However i took Casper to the gym the orher day and there were a few things i could do which he couldnt which made me feel pretty fucking bo selecta. Being stronger than a a man and all that. Maybe ill be entering body building comps soon lol
Miss SD
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/12 21:31:59 (permalink)
Soz for the typos. Pissed and no idea how to edit
Johnny Quest
  • Total Posts : 8719
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/13 06:05:55 (permalink)
@Shiver

There's studies done to show that static stretching pre exercise does next to nothing, or actually has a detrimental effect on the muscles performance before a session. I think it mainly was looking at lifting, but I'll see if I can find it. Dynamic stretching is what you're after, before working out.

Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/14 08:41:42 (permalink)
Cheers Johnny

So did the race, was great fun and my legs were pretty much fine. Chose not to bother with the ibuprofen as apparently it does nothing but harm. Did the 14km in 1:36 so my aim is to get that down by 20 mins over the next year. Stuck my legs in a bucket of ice water afterwards and made a big difference, even tho I'm waddling like a bum rapee today.
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/14 13:06:04 (permalink)
Nice one Shiverman.

You'll be surprised how much you can improve just by regular steady running, to give you a good base, before even thinking about putting "hard" sessions in.

Without knowing anything about you or your state of fitness/health, I'd say around 1:10 is probably a decent target just through a reasonably disciplined approach at getting out and running regularly.
Shiverman
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/15 12:54:16 (permalink)
Yeah that's my plan now, I've got a bit of a taste for it and even tho it basically means my feet are in a constant state of mild pain, it's a good feeling to just be able to knock out an hour or two of running without thinking about it too much. Don't think I'll ever reach your levels tho...
Travs
Re: [FAQ] GYM THREAD 2017/08/15 15:29:09 (permalink)
Good stuff. Just a slow increase in mileage will build you up against the strains and stresses of running, but if in any doubt, don't push it too hard, get on a cross trainer or something instead. Squats and core work are good. I'm amazed how many runners at my club (a very good level club in track and cross country) seem to neglect a bit of strength work.

By the way, I'm no speed merchant. 5km 19mins, 10km 39mins, half marathon 1:40......... but ultra long distance, and fell running, is almost a different sport entirely.

Track session tonight... 5 x 1km reps with decreasing recovery times between each rep. I'll be in pain afterwards...
Page: << < ..291292293294295 Showing page 295 of 295
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0