What do you like/dis-like most about the U.K?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:33:15 (permalink)
The main pro for me is the musical culture- specifically the underground electronic/club musical culture e.g. dubstep, grime, drum n bass, jungle etc. If you want a good example of how immigration has been great and indeed VITAL for the vibrancy of our culture look no further than the influence of Jamaican sound system culture on our music.
Also, the sense of humour (in comedy and everyday life), certain aspects of the media (take one look at CNN/NBC etc and just look at how bad it COULD be), the countryside landscape.
On the other hand haha... I think there's a really self-defeating quality about the place. The cynicism is good for humour and acting against sentimentality but at the same time I sometimes think British people are almost too sarcastic and snide for their own good. When I've met people from Holland, Denmark etc. they seem a lot more laid back and less confrontational.

The rain/weather is an obvious one, fuelling the misery and cheese club violence. Speaking of, our attitude towards drinking. Don't get me wrong, I get drunk every weekend and probably act like an arsehole but walking through a British city on a saturday night is a horrible experience. I'm sure its the same in other countries but there seems to be this attitude in this country that we should all get as leathered as possible and puke everywhere with our cunts out  I wonder if thats something to do with how inhibited and wound up people tend to be here, even in this fairly liberated era?

The Sun, Big Brother etc. are other obvious things. As for immigration, tax etc. I'm not really in a position to complain about either so I won't comment. Even if the UK isn't as bad as people think it is the fact that people think it is is almost a criticism of the country in of itself.

I reckon I'll try and live in a british city for a few years and if it isn't working out move somewhere in Europe.

Blaz
  • Total Posts : 6467
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:35:23 (permalink)
like - drum and bass

hate - cunts commin here for a free ride and an easy life

Joga
  • Total Posts : 41236
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:38:47 (permalink)
Amazing music scene, especially of the dance music variety. Also the amount of history, in all types of music
Stunning architecture in cities like Durham, York, Chester, etc etc
Wide open spaces...The Dales, The Fens, The Pennines...
Multicultural approach to food- the best of homegrown and the best other cultures have to offer
Free healthcare service. Not least because they employ me
Tea. Especially Yorkshire Tea
Humour- cynicism, sarcasm, irony
Ability to queue correctly and tendency to moan about other people not doing things like queuing properly
History and culture- art, poetry, literature. A place steeped in history for a lot of the right reasons

Dislikes:
Booze culture. Lads on the town, fighting, beer, tits, etc etc
Insanely high taxes
Inherent racism- the BNP, National Front, outdated views in cheap suits 
The blame culture that ties in with the above. Laziness, complaining about not being able to get a job whilst claiming benefits for years on end, and so on
The political 'middle ground', and the inability for real politics based on radicalism, or indeed the opposite (it makes for a fairer fight), to be taken seriously
Blind patriotism. England flags sticking out of cars, people flying the Union Jack/St George Cross from a pole in their garden
Secularism of different cultures within what the gov't like to pretend is a 'multicultural' society
Idiocy. I gather you get this everywhere though?
silentjob
  • Total Posts : 12188
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:48:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Joga

Ability to queue correctly and tendency to moan about other people not doing things like queuing properly

Dislikes:

Inherent racism- the BNP, National Front, outdated views in cheap suits 
The blame culture that ties in with the above. Laziness, complaining about not being able to get a job whilst claiming benefits for years on end, and so on

Spot on Toby. I like the queue bit, although whenever I go fast food, 3 tills open, everyone is stood in a 'filter' queue in front of the middle till. I waltz up and go to either till on the left or right - everybody is aghast at my cheek, but then you see other people follow suit!? Sheep! Had many an argument about this before now.
BX1000
  • Total Posts : 1839
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:56:13 (permalink)
A lot of the things mentioned here don't just apply to England, but since moving away from the country I've not missed:

"Lads" on the piss
Big Brother and other televisual tat
English close mindedness and belief in own superiority
Longer working hours
Terrible public transport
Women wearing skimpy clothes with pale and chubby bodies

Corpsey
  • Total Posts : 17577
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 11:58:55 (permalink)
^ where do you live now? ^

BX1000
  • Total Posts : 1839
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:06:51 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Corpsey

^ where do you live now? ^

I have lived in Brussels for the last year or so. There are some things I miss though, like proper tea!

DJ NVision
  • Total Posts : 1612
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:07:59 (permalink)
Like: the english language, sense of humour, countryside, the look of english houses and architecture

dislike: dnb nights, driving on the roads in england, the way the country is run and how it seems that honest, hard working people seem to get a pretty raw deal, celebrity culture, a justice system that seems to have it's priorities wrong and isn't strict enough with real criminals.

http://www.myspace.com/falloutdnb
Joga
  • Total Posts : 41236
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:09:32 (permalink)
Thinking about emmigrating to Canada in the not-too-distant future.
Keeno
  • Total Posts : 12034
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:11:07 (permalink)
What is wrong with patriotism?

silentjob
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:11:30 (permalink)
I'm on plan for Thailand TEFL stylee in Aug. Cant wait!

judayer
  • Total Posts : 6783
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:14:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S:T

ORIGINAL: judayer

i like the music scene, football and well thats about it

i hate the smoking ban, drugs, idiotic people who seem to crop up everywhere..i could go on but it'll only piss me off...

leave the uk then..?

haha dont tempt me.. Im on the verge of a breakdown at work. I will snap very soon!

Willfunk
  • Total Posts : 14882
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:17:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DJ NVision

Like: the english language, sense of humour, countryside, the look of english houses and architecture

dislike: dnb nights, driving on the roads in england, the way the country is run and how it seems that honest, hard working people seem to get a pretty raw deal, celebrity culture, a justice system that seems to have it's priorities wrong and isn't strict enough with real criminals.

You dislike dnb nights but your name is on the flyer for a dnb night in your sig....can you explain this please
DjNefarious
  • Total Posts : 12028
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:20:21 (permalink)
@ all the people complaining about the weather
"if it ain't raining, it aint training" FACT
S:T
  • Total Posts : 2340
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:25:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S:T

i like the music scene, football and well thats about it

i hate the smoking ban, drugs, idiotic people who seem to crop up everywhere..i could go on but it'll only piss me off...

leave the uk then..?

haha dont tempt me.. Im on the verge of a breakdown at work. I will snap very soon!

not your banjo string i hope...!! (bud-dum tish!)

• jungliS.T

fyan
  • Total Posts : 42038
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:26:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: **gutlessrhyme**

ORIGINAL: LHC

the lack of patriotism

This one is good too. Patriotism is for idiots, basically.

nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage.

as i've said before
how can you be that proud of a place you had no choice of being squeezed out into?
MC Danger D
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:28:02 (permalink)

food, sport, music, the language, my friends, drugs

dislike

democracy, constant erosion of civil liberties, lager lout/blue wkd culture, daily mail and similar, general aversion to alternative culture

I hope representative/liberal democracy is what cos that is bullshit, but better than the third reich! 

I hate being told you shouldn't be racist by upper class politicians - i didn't even no what racism was until i was about 10 and got told not to be one - why is the issue of race constantly on the govs and some people's minds? Maybe because they are..... 

one half of "The Bassline Inspektas" production duo
www.myspace.com/dangerdmc
www.lsrfm.com "drum n bass in ya face" saturday 8 - 930
Synapse DJ
  • Total Posts : 1177
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:29:51 (permalink)
LIKE: Jungle, tea n biscuts, fish n chips, greggs, NHS (after seeking Sicko, you yanks got it bad!), diversity of culture in SOME areas - (ie: where there are actually people working and earning an honest buck), Weatherspoons for there overly cheap grub and beer , cravendale, cheap booze deals in the competative supermarket war every other month or so, really nice curry houses, loadsa food places - esp in London, and probably loads of other things i take for granted but cant remember what the fuck they are!

DISLIKE: Expensive shit everywhere, scroungers, dole monkeys/babies getting pregered up to get a house etc - although In there defence they WILL have a shit life and will achieve nothing, violent gangs, coked up wankers at weekends, really small pots of petite filous (these should be sooo much bigger imo!), unable to smoke in clubs (couldnt give a shit about pubs, there better now anyways - dont stink of fags when you get home!), and last but not least the asylum problem - its only making things worse!
Hey you get used to all the other shit, like the weather etc, and in the end theres something fun about being stuck in your house during a fucking downpour playing computer games, drinking a cold beer and getting some smoke on while the world around you falls apart!
On

DJ NVision
  • Total Posts : 1612
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:42:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: willfunk

ORIGINAL: DJ NVision

You dislike dnb nights but your name is on the flyer for a dnb night in your sig....can you explain this please

i got into dnb in england and then moved to germany where i lived right on the border with holland. i went to loads of nights in germany and holland and had the best time and then moved back to england and am really disappointed with the dnb nights in this country.
i realise a lot of it is down to my own personal taste but i really think english dnb nights aren't as good as european ones.

the nights i went to would generally only feature one dj, sometimes two. that dj would normally start at 2 and would be given as much time behind the decks as they wanted. the djs that got booked weren't you're typical a-list djs that have been on rave line ups for years. promoters were always really on it with their bookings booking artists often before they really blew up.

i think the quality of the music was better. i was completely oblivious to all the big anthems getting rinsed in england cos djs didn't play them, they always dug deep.

you would never hear the same tune get played more than once in a night and pretty much every time you went out you got the chance to hear something on a big system which you would never hear a dj in england play which was wicked.

venues would always be pretty busy and the crowd would always be well up for it and are really open minded to anything.

i also found the sound systems to generally be better and you could smoke in the venues, weed too without any hassle.

i live in england now which is why i'm on a flyer but that's my night that i've just started and i'm trying to basically replicate what i experienced in europe with that.

if you ever get the chance i would really recommend going to a night in somewhere like berlin, budapest, cologne, utrecht or some eastern european country and experience it for yourself.

http://www.myspace.com/falloutdnb
silentjob
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:51:28 (permalink)
battered sausage butty
retromckay
  • Total Posts : 986
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 12:58:19 (permalink)
i know wat ur saying here as much as i love uk dnb. u tend to hear the same tunes 4 5 6 times a night. anthem bashing.. still good tho, but could do with a change up 
also theres nothing wrong with being patriotic at all no matter where ur squeezed out i love uk (especially wales).
pretty much like all the standard stuff..
dislike... as said b4 . chavy gals making a single parent a career option at the age of 13. smakheads askin for 40p (fuk off and die or get a job at least... no one owes u anything!)people in public service jobs who cant speak any english (although i do like a multicultral society, especially in examples where ppl can get along well)....... female and bad drivers get off the road b4 i kiiiiiiiiiill you!!!

Mod X
  • Total Posts : 26845
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:01:36 (permalink)
Pros: I'm here.
Cons: Everyone else is here.

S:T
  • Total Posts : 2340
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:02:26 (permalink)
who gives a fuck about dnb being the worst thing you like about the uk..? what about the state of the schools..? knife and gun crime..? child poverty..?
surely that's not limited to london only...

(spot my deliberate syntax error)

• jungliS.T

Mel DeVil
  • Total Posts : 4671
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:11:38 (permalink)
Likes: The history, the social scene, music, TV, football. Plus the fact that (by and large) we are welcoming enough to let people come from other countries that are in need and give them a home. I know there's problems with it and some people get in who shouldn't and some dont who should, but we are better then a lot of places.

Hates: Daily Mail/The Sun, cost of everything, quality of service, Binge drinking, FAR too many people in too small a space (conflicts slightly with the first point, by hey). Our image abroad.

Not sure how much longer its going to be before the hates outweight the likes and i go somewhere else to be honest, always wanted to live abroad for a while.
post edited by Mel DeVil - 2008/03/27 13:13:48
Munkeh
  • Total Posts : 13953
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:18:53 (permalink)
Like: Having free healthcare, Meat & Potato Pies

Dislike: Petrol Prices, Tax, influx of foreign ppl and our government not setting a limit on the amount coming in. err those community support officers

jim_skreech
  • Total Posts : 4413
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:20:04 (permalink)
Spending the last 10 minutes writing what I liked/disliked, pressing the wrong key and losing everything I'd written. FUCK.

Keeno
  • Total Posts : 12034
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:23:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nayf

the lack of patriotism

as i've said before
how can you be that proud of a place you had no choice of being squeezed out into?

How is such an obvious observation a decent reason not to be patriotic?

What about things you've done / experienced after being born? What about family, history etc? These are things that make me patriotic, it's conditioned me to an extent as a person.

If you don't give a fuck about any of that then fair enough, but no need to try and dim down those who do.
post edited by Keeno - 2008/03/27 13:24:13

jim_skreech
  • Total Posts : 4413
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:28:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Keeno

ORIGINAL: nayf

the lack of patriotism

as i've said before

How is such an obvious observation a decent reason not to be patriotic?

What about things you've done / experienced after being born? What about family, history etc? These are things that make me patriotic, it's conditioned me to an extent as a person.

If you don't give a fuck about any of that then fair enough, but no need to try and dim down those who do.

It's good to be proud and take care of a place where you come from, as long as you don't get into the thinking that everything British is the best, and everything foreign is shit.  Nationalism is fucking stupid though, look at the Serbs howling about Kosovo, even though they've been leaving in droves for the last 200 years.
Moskit
  • Total Posts : 13235
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:30:32 (permalink)
I like less & less each day, I used to love the UK, but cannot see myself living/working here after 35, the freedom is probably the best point (even though that is a joke in itself these days), but the only reason I have my relative freedom is because i live in the sticks

I know its the typical brit whinge, but the weather seriously affects me... Its so fucking depressing & seems to emphsise the bleak points about the country.

British people have no identity these days & when they try to develop one are persecuted for doing so, I think you'd struggle to find a British person, who was a sensible & relatively intelligent, that would say they are genuinely proud of this country as it stands today.

Sad state of affairs.

silentjob
RE: What do you like/hate most about the U.K? 2008/03/27 13:33:56 (permalink)
I aint exactly patriotic, but I'm proud to be Northern
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0