Travelling

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
dan27
  • Total Posts : 3766
2008/03/25 21:59:40 (permalink)

Travelling

Right I am trying to save up to go travelling soon thinking of saving up about 6k want to go to Thailand, Madagascar and India but don’t know where else would be good to go and I am planning on going for about 4 to 5 months. I also want to know where would be the best web sites to get flights planed for Travelling. Tips and info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

don't fuck with the colonel!

75 Replies Related Threads

Chronix
    • Total Posts : 2212
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 22:10:41 (permalink)
    Buy yourself a refurbished American school bus for two grand, then drive everywhere doind bar work when you need to. Thats what ima do for 6 months in september. Drive round europe.

I GET GOOSEBUMPS WHEN THE BASSLINE THUMPS!
    dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:06:40 (permalink)
    yeah i am think of doing some bar work in some countries but i dont know what countries would have that work

:.Andy.:
    • Total Posts : 15327
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:09:51 (permalink)

Book a flight to Australia Via Hong kong  & New Zealand

on the way there....

Stop off in hong kong for upto 6months > From there go to thailand (cost bout 150 return)

Back to hong kong > new zealand

New Zealand > Australia

On the way back you can opt for the LA stop over on your way back
    so....

NZ > America....

will cost you about 800 quid all in
    post edited by :.Andy.: - 2008/03/25 23:11:20

edmc
    • Total Posts : 10374
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:27:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimdum

im leaving the cliche of going east by actually going west. Snowboarding in canada, work my way down the west coast of US, go mexico, columbia, venezuela, brazil and argie. All in 6-7months. Going in 2010. reckon 6-7 grand should be more than enough

This. South America is as amazing as South East Asia. If you've got Spanish it's a bit easier as well.
    Statically
    • Total Posts : 4472
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:30:06 (permalink)
    I really really want to go travelling, but have such a problem of both the feeling of rudeness and embarassment of not being able to speak the language of the country, feel everyone would hate me, even places in Europe I just dont feel right not being able to speak their language, how is this in said countries?

edmc
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:32:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Statically

I really really want to go travelling, but have such a problem of both the feeling of rudeness and embarassment of not being able to speak the language of the country, feel everyone would hate me, even places in Europe I just dont feel right not being able to speak their language, how is this in said countries?

They're far more helpful in trying to understand you in South America, not just looking at you like a lemon as they do in France and Italy. And Oz obviously.
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:33:16 (permalink)

Everyone speaks english! They just like to hide the fact   Its when you start going out in the sticks to farming communties ect of certain counties in my experience = thats where you need to really speak the language!
    post edited by :.Andy.: - 2008/03/25 23:34:46

Smokey McPot
    • Total Posts : 27155
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:33:29 (permalink)
    most countries are far more forgiving if you try in some small way to learn something of their language, even if its 'I'm shit at your language, do you know English'.

Learn the basics to get a bed, beer and something to eat and you'll be set.
    djchug
    • Total Posts : 1542
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:35:11 (permalink)
    www.lonelyplanet.com

lived off this website while i was travelling the world last year...loads of info....especially in the forum
    Statically
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:37:00 (permalink)
    I just hate looking like a tit, or appearing like a typical ignorant Englishman.... it's the ONLY thing thats stopping me being 100% on travelling in the next few years.

RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:37:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dj chug

www.lonelyplanet.com

lived off this website while i was travelling the world last year...loads of info....especially in the forum

Lonely planet is a life save- if you aint got the net when on walkabout, all about those big fuck off books they do. Tell you everything about the area and could save you from a night sleeping on the street. It's like the bible of travlers lol

RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:38:53 (permalink)

I just hate looking like a tit, or appearing like a typical ignorant Englishman.... it's the ONLY thing thats stopping me being 100% on travelling in the next few years.

Once you get outta UK.. you will realise, theres nothing you can do to change the opinion the rest of the world has on us.

Statically
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:47:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: :.Andy.:

Once you get outta UK.. you will realise, theres nothing you can do to change the opinion the rest of the world has on us.

Only been a few places in my life, parents were too skint to take us anywhere but camping as a kid so only done stuff in the last year as Ive only just had the money for such thing.... whenever I go upto someone in another country and they start talking to me in their language I just freeze, dont know what to do at all, then go "errrr, umm, yeah" and speak the little language i know and go embarassed, not a good look if I travel.

RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:51:51 (permalink)

Only been a few places in my life, parents were too skint to take us anywhere but camping as a kid so only done stuff in the last year as Ive only just had the money for such thing.... whenever I go upto someone in another country and they start talking to me in their language I just freeze, dont know what to do at all, then go "errrr, umm, yeah" and speak the little language i know and go embarassed, not a good look if I travel.

Thai english should be on top of your list of languages to learn! lol

Not knowing a language is a minor problem dont let it put a damper on doing it. I was in the depths of hong kong with 50kgs of bags and no1 could speak english (so i thought ) - I loved it! Was the craziest thing ive ever experienced.. Will be the best time of your time life mate
    post edited by :.Andy.: - 2008/03/25 23:53:22

Will Mac
    • Total Posts : 15058
    RE: Travelling 2008/03/25 23:56:23 (permalink)
    Stay in your own country and stop bothering foreigners
    dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:05:19 (permalink)

blueprint
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:14:13 (permalink)
    Ah man, best time of my life last year. took 5 months (supposed to be 6 but was hospitalized with pneumonia on the day I was supposed to leave) to do thailand - oz - nz - fiji - america. cost about 7-8 gs i think.

personal advice - don't stay in one place too long & go with a mate, someone to share the experiences with afterwards.

dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:25:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: blueprint

Ah man, best time of my life last year. took 5 months (supposed to be 6 but was hospitalized with pneumonia on the day I was supposed to leave) to do thailand - oz - nz - fiji - america. cost about 7-8 gs i think.

personal advice - don't stay in one place too long & go with a mate, someone to share the experiences with afterwards.
    yeah i am going to go with a mate. where was the best place in your exprence to go?

blueprint
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:34:29 (permalink)
    damn, tough question. new zealand probably, scenery was immense and went snowboarding and bungy jumping and loads of cool shit. are you doing this before/after uni/random career break or what? depends on how "studenty" you want to get (or get away from) really.

I booked my flights through STA, they're good whilst you're still in the country but once you've left they don't want to know. even though they've got millions of agents in laods of countries, if you want to change or sort something out you can't do it in a branch wherever you are, you have to ring up your home branch i wouldn't get visas from them either, charge you twice as much as doing it yourself and my friend's didn't even work at first, and then when it did it said she was 4 years old.

also I did a blog, sounds a bit cheesy but it's a good way of keeping a record of things you've done and it's a great read when you're back and have a serious case of travelling blues.

dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:44:19 (permalink)

damn, tough question. new zealand probably, scenery was immense and went snowboarding and bungy jumping and loads of cool shit. are you doing this before/after uni/random career break or what? depends on how "studenty" you want to get (or get away from) really.

I booked my flights through STA, they're good whilst you're still in the country but once you've left they don't want to know. even though they've got millions of agents in laods of countries, if you want to change or sort something out you can't do it in a branch wherever you are, you have to ring up your home branch i wouldn't get visas from them either, charge you twice as much as doing it yourself and my friend's didn't even work at first, and then when it did it said she was 4 years old.

also I did a blog, sounds a bit cheesy but it's a good way of keeping a record of things you've done and it's a great read when you're back and have a serious case of travelling blues.
    i am going as 5 months off before i start a management course really. i just want to have a break and a fun time before full time work and studies set in

blueprint
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:50:05 (permalink)
    well enjoy it wherever you go!

NZPhenom
    • Total Posts : 4740
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 02:55:32 (permalink)
    As long as you make some sort of effort in speaking the country in question's langauage you'll be fine; locals really appreciate it.

dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 03:38:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: NZPhenom

As long as you make some sort of effort in speaking the country in question's langauage you'll be fine; locals really appreciate it.
    yeah i know all ways try to and i still remmber some french and spanish from when i was young

MuzzahD
    • Total Posts : 19549
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 03:41:54 (permalink)
    Going to south florida on thursday.

dan27
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 18:51:39 (permalink)

lostcode
    • Total Posts : 2877
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 19:02:11 (permalink)
    i don't agree with the not stopping in one place for very long advice.
    if you stay a while you can get a feeling for a community, not just 'tick the tourist boxes'.
    this said, be wary of the 'hostel culture'. not sure how other people have found this but it really got on my tits.

bumhole seeds
    • Total Posts : 5577
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 19:06:03 (permalink)
    i'd love to get a camper van or something and just drive across europe at my own pace
    edmc
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 19:29:00 (permalink)
    Please, please, please don't go to India/Thailand and just get mashed on cheap vodka, k and valium. Go to South America instead and have an endless supply of bugle.

But seriously don't piss loads of money away doing stuff you could easily done in your living room.

Tha Nooch
    • Total Posts : 5660
    RE: Travelling 2008/04/01 19:44:37 (permalink)

I am planning 2 months on my own in July - September, going on my tod and only having to answer to myself is part of the appeal.

You saying its a bad idea? I'm looking forward to the adventure / meeting new people from all walks of life, immursing myself in new cultures etc. Surely my camera will provide me with memories / stories?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0