Helpful ReplyHot!A little Technics project.....

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Author
Smokey McPot
  • Total Posts : 28113
2007/04/27 00:12:36 (permalink)

A little Technics project.....

I have obtained some very cheap 1210's

I think I might powdercoat them a new colour custom style.

Anyone know of reliable places that will ship me spares?
benjammin-wm_X1
  • Total Posts : 22717
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 00:17:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Smokey McPot

I have obtained some very cheap 1210's

I think I might powdercoat them a new colour custom style.

Anyone know of reliable places that will ship me spares?

Why not just sell them on for £350??

ORIGINAL: D_D

We live in a society where teenagers get away with cold blooded murder and yet parking tickets are being dished out left right and centre.
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 07:30:16 (permalink)
Because I want some custom turntables.
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 10:23:19 (permalink)
Anyone got a service manual?
platts
  • Total Posts : 5671
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 10:55:18 (permalink)
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24922
platts
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:02:43 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:14:08 (permalink)
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:16:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: platts

Dial are here:

http://www.dialsoundlight.co.uk/d-commerce/

They're decently priced too.
shroomy
  • Total Posts : 24922
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:22:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: shroomy

You could just get yourself one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURNTABLE-COVER-FOR-TECHNICS-SL-1200-1210-RED_W0QQitemZ110092717683QQihZ001QQcategoryZ48460QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thats a joke right?

No its easier, colour is shit though I admit. Only other ones on there were black I think.
rage
  • Total Posts : 30205
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:22:46 (permalink)
If your gonna get em sprayed Id get a professional to do it!

Technics are quite tricky, the top is also the main body of the deck so you have to pull it completely to pieces really.

Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:39:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rage

If your gonna get em sprayed Id get a professional to do it!

Technics are quite tricky, the top is also the main body of the deck so you have to pull it completely to pieces really.

Lucky I know a professional powder coater then isnt it?

I wanted the technical layouts to make sure I can put them back together properly, it doesn't look that complicated from what I've seen.

Still at these prices, if it fucks up I lose nothing

Shroomy - I looked at those things once before, they're awful.
rage
  • Total Posts : 30205
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 11:45:56 (permalink)
nah its not rocket science, there isnt a lot to em.

how much did you pay then?

platts
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 12:06:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: platts

Dial are here:

http://www.dialsoundlight.co.uk/d-commerce/

They're decently priced too.

cheapest pitch control i could find
Ethik
  • Total Posts : 7902
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 12:10:11 (permalink)
I have always wanted to do this
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/04/27 12:20:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rage

nah its not rocket science, there isnt a lot to em.

how much did you pay then?

Playaz PM's
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 15:28:01 (permalink)
If anyone wants the Service guide to replace parts then its here

Cant wait to get cracking on this....

Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:00:44 (permalink)
Already hit a snag

The bottom case is off, and I have hit a small soldering related problem. Grrrreat.

Heres some pics so you can see the oh so exciting interior of a turntable.

This is the underside of the tonearm housing, where the problems with the soldering as you can see.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem of audio only coming out one channel. Having talked to Rage and done some research it was suggested I look at the RCA connection to the tonearm circuit board. Hmm.
post edited by Smokey McPot - 2007/05/01 18:01:56
Aquari
  • Total Posts : 972
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:14:34 (permalink)
On an ever so slightly related note, has anyone attempted to change their LED's i.e. the strobe and target lights to a diff colour? If so how easy is it to do (do i need to have a vast electrical experiance). Also is it easy to change the existing cables to heavy duty ones?
Cheers...... good luck smokey sounds like a good idea, what colours u going for?
Rollcage
  • Total Posts : 6267
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:20:22 (permalink)
Smokey if you have a multimeter do a continuity check for each connection to see if there's any broken wires, although it looks like there may be dry solder joints in that pic which can be fixed just by re-soldering them, although they are surface soldered which is a little trickier but aint too bad.

@Aquari I replaced the strobe and 33/45 button LEDS with blue ones, pretty easy just takes a little while. The circuit board is labelled wrong for the polarity of the LEDs though. Looks cool though.
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:20:54 (permalink)
Cheers dude.

Not sure yet. I was thinking something like piano black gloss with metallic purple fleck, but I need to talk to my mate about what I can and can't do.

I plan to change the LED's and will be putting pics up with info, seems to be some soldering involved.

Anyway, problem resolved after a quick call, nothing too complicated about testing the RCA's. Score!
post edited by Smokey McPot - 2007/05/01 18:21:56
reeferman
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:22:25 (permalink)

This is the underside of the tonearm housing, where the problems with the soldering as you can see.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem of audio only coming out one channel. Having talked to Rage and done some research it was suggested I look at the RCA connection to the tonearm circuit board. Hmm.

you probably just need re solder the solder thats on there, it's probaby just a dry joint causing the problem

look closely at the solder joins, have they got very small hair like cracks around them?

edit - rollcage beat me to it!!
post edited by reeferman - 2007/05/01 18:26:28

ORIGINAL: DJBAREMANZ

Dont hurt the dog man.
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:23:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Rollcage

Smokey if you have a multimeter do a continuity check for each connection to see if there's any broken wires, although it looks like there may be dry solder joints in that pic which can be fixed just by re-soldering them, although they are surface soldered which is a little trickier but aint too bad.

I dont unfortunately, I'm gonna use line feedback to test the channels individually, at least from there i can establish whether its the cables or tonearm
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:25:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: reeferman

you probably just need re solder the solder thats on there, it's probaby just a dry joint causing the problem

look closely at the solder joins, have they got very small hair like cracks around them?

They appear to be ok, all smooth and secure, no gaps where the solder meets the PCB.
Aquari
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:25:35 (permalink)

@Aquari I replaced the strobe and 33/45 button LEDS with blue ones, pretty easy just takes a little while. The circuit board is labelled wrong for the polarity of the LEDs though. Looks cool though.

Yea a m8 of mine has a pair of 1200's with blue lights, looks wicked!
As u can prob tell i'm a noob to this and this is prob a stupid question but does the strobe require a specific type of led?
Cheers

@ smokey piano black gloss with purple flecks, isn;t that the colour of mk5g's if so, looks amazing
Rollcage
  • Total Posts : 6267
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:28:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Aquari

As u can prob tell i'm a noob to this and this is prob a stupid question but does the strobe require a specific type of led?
Cheers

@ smokey piano black gloss with purple flecks, isn;t that the colour of mk5g's if so, looks amazing

Nah just normal LEDs are fine, the strobing is created by pulsing of the led supply voltage rather than some strange pulsating led.
Aquari
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:29:51 (permalink)

Cheers

Nah just normal LEDs are fine, the strobing is created by pulsing of the led supply voltage rather than some strange pulsating led.

Coolio, i did think it would be something like that rather than a weird LED, Nice 1!
reeferman
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:30:12 (permalink)

They appear to be ok, all smooth and secure, no gaps where the solder meets the PCB.

there wouldn't be a gap where the solder meets the PCB, it would be just up from where the solder meets the PCB

probably wouldn't hurt to go over them all carefully with a soldering iron just to eliminate dry joints as a possibilty for the problem

ORIGINAL: DJBAREMANZ

Dont hurt the dog man.
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:33:52 (permalink)

Cheers

Really? Might pick something else in that case :)
Smokey McPot
RE: A little Technics project..... 2007/05/01 18:38:03 (permalink)

there wouldn't be a gap where the solder meets the PCB, it would be just up from where the solder meets the PCB

probably wouldn't hurt to go over them all carefully with a soldering iron just to eliminate dry joints as a possibilty for the problem

Unfortunately I have no soldering skills or the tools to learn at the moment. i'll add it to my list of things to check though
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.0