WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (Full Version)

All Forums >> [D&B Music] >> [Default Category] >> Drum&Bass

Mod X -> WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:15:50 PM)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17924190

So basically, Microsoft have been banned from selling a load of stuff in Germany because a German court found that they had breached Motorola's copyright. However, Motorola have been stopped from enforcing this GERMAN court ruling in Germany by a US court saying they can't.

What the fuck is that? Essentially court decisions relevant to a country, made within that country and affecting that country can be stopped from taking effect because America says no. What is this I don't even?

Also, it turns out copyright theft is fine if you're a big company but not if you're a consumer downloading their products...double standards much?

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:17:34 PM)

quote:

Motorola Mobility has been granted an injunction against the distribution of key Microsoft products in Germany.

quote:

A US court has banned Motorola from enforcing the action until it considers the matter next week.

How has a US court got jurisdiction over what happens in Germany?

silentjob -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:17:38 PM)

stinks to high heaven

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:19:16 PM)

Also,
quote:

This is just one of several cases involving about 50 intellectual properties that the smartphone maker has claimed that Microsoft should have licensed.

Microsoft has said that if it met all of Motorola's demands it would face an annual bill of $4bn (£2.5bn). Motorola disputes the figure.

That might be an interesting defence if you get caught downloading films or whatever 'but if I bought it, it would cost me loads of money'.

sandmanJO3 -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:22:13 PM)

Its too late in the afternoon for me to get my head around this. It sounds deplorable though!

Law -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:25:32 PM)

I cant believe that article does not even touch on that point T.

I need an explanation.

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (2/5/2012 5:27:21 PM)

[Deleted by Admins]

0-AID -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:28:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1ntle

usa rules ok

I thought you knew this already T?

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:29:18 PM)

Only earlier today I was saying in that piracy thread about Pirate Bay that big companies don't do themselves any favours by constantly trying to mug people off and up pops Microsoft trying to avoid paying for another company's intellectual property like it's nothing and when a court rules against them they run to a US judge to essentially circumvent the ruling of another country (hiding behind mum's skirt).

0-AID -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:31:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mod X

Only earlier today I was saying in that piracy thread about Pirate Bay that big companies don't do themselves any favours by constantly trying to mug people off and up pops Microsoft trying to avoid paying for another company's intellectual property like it's nothing and when a court rules against them they run to a US judge to essentially circumvent the ruling of another country (hiding behind mum's skirt).

Money talks, money talks, wooooah.

Politics + $$$ = Win

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:33:36 PM)

This I know 0-Aid, doesn't make it any less ridiculous though.

0-AID -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:37:19 PM)

quote:

What shall we do T?

dj roarstar -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 5:38:02 PM)

quote:

Also, it turns out copyright theft is fine if you're a big company but not if you're a consumer downloading their products...double standards much?

Please never say 'much?' after a sentence ever, ever again

Smokey McPot -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 6:20:57 PM)

Only gonna get worse. at the rate sales of intellectual property is going, there are going to be about 5 companies that own everything and everyone else getting sued/suing etc etc.

Microsoft and Apple just divvied up fuck loads of intellectual properties to prevent Google getting them.

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 7:19:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj roarstar

quote:

Please never say 'much?' after a sentence ever, ever again

Does it annoy you? If so, how much?

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 7:20:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 0-AID

quote:

What shall we do T?

1) Moan about it on DNBA
2) Moan about it on Facebook
3) Moan about it in general conversation
4) ?????
5) Profit

Much.

Jme133 -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 8:46:34 PM)

This doesnt really make much sense at any point. What intellectual property of Motorola's was even copyrighted?

The entire concept of intellectual property bothers me.

Smokey McPot -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 8:51:26 PM)

Something to do with video encoding.

djdave*b -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 9:24:56 PM)

should settle it with another war IMO

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 10:17:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jme133

This doesnt really make much sense at any point. What intellectual property of Motorola's was even copyrighted?

The entire concept of intellectual property bothers me.

Why does the concept of intellectual property bother you? If you invent something and you own the patent to it then it's yours. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that? Do you think people should just invent things and then give them away? The German court found that Microsoft were using technology Motorola owned the patents to without paying them for using it.

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (2/5/2012 10:21:25 PM)

[Deleted by Admins]

Mod X -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 10:23:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1ntle

doesnt matter how you word it, how you read into it or if it's right or wrong.

the states WILL do as they please and EVERY one will follow suit and if not...

you're in trouble....

[sm=violent-smiley-090.gif]

Until the Chinese crush them. I am in absolutely no doubt that if it ever kicks off properly we will end up with Chinese overlords.

sectionate -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 10:29:52 PM)

Lol, they will just call on all the debts and we will have the default on our tanks/planes/ships. Then we will find out that those canny Russian bastards never actually fell out with Mao and they have been controlling a puppet government since he died.

[&:]

The whole patent war is mental. Look at Apple and Samsung, it amazes me that they are suing each other all over the place. But at the same time, they are key to each others businesses [&:]

PD -> RE: WTF, legal thing (US over-extending it's grasp)/Microsoft/Motorola (2/5/2012 10:34:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smokey McPot

Microsoft and Apple just divvied up fuck loads of intellectual properties to prevent Google getting them.

No they didn't, it was a free auction and they invited Google to bid as a threesome and they declined.

This particular case is around patents for things that are so common that there are laws stating they have to be licensed on a fair basis and this is what the US court have ruled on.

I know MS are usually considered the cunts but they have actually changed considerably and generally strike licensing deals with most companies for their patents and havent generally got involved in mass litigation.

Its been Apple and Google (via people using their software) generally.

Page: [1]

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 ANSI